PDA

View Full Version : The D is elite

jimmifli
09-15-2014, 10:41 AM
The longest run yesterday was 7 yards. The longest pass was 18.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>how suffocating was the <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Bills?src=hash">#Bills</a> defense yesterday? Miami&#39;s longest run was 7 yds and the longest pass completion was 18 yards</p>&mdash; Howard WGR (@hsimon62) <a href="https://twitter.com/hsimon62/status/511462028922200064">September 15, 2014</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

chernobylwraiths
09-15-2014, 10:42 AM
I tell my wife this all the time.

swiper
09-15-2014, 10:44 AM
LOL. Let's not get carried away yet. If they can go to Seattle and do that, then we can talk.

Fletch
09-15-2014, 10:44 AM
The longest run yesterday was 7 yards. The longest pass was 18.

how suffocating was the #Bills (https://twitter.com/hashtag/Bills?src=hash) defense yesterday? Miami's longest run was 7 yds and the longest pass completion was 18 yards
— Howard WGR (@hsimon62) September 15, 2014 (https://twitter.com/hsimon62/status/511462028922200064)
<script async="" src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

The team was Miami, maybe one of the worst teams in the league with only an undrafted rookie RB after Moreno went out almost immediately. Miller's not even good, he's just not a rookie.

Tannehill?

Here's what I don't get, everyone's slamming Miami in their predictions here and talking about how horrible they are before the season starts. Then when we beat them we treat it as some sort of feat instead of just beating a very bad team.

They still managed to hang almost 300 yards on us and ran pretty well considering how bad or unproven their RBs are. I wouldn't have expected 4 ypc from those clown RBs, I expected less than 3.

ServoBillieves
09-15-2014, 10:59 AM
The team was Miami, maybe one of the worst teams in the league with only an undrafted rookie RB after Moreno went out almost immediately. Miller's not even good, he's just not a rookie.

Tannehill?

Here's what I don't get, everyone's slamming Miami in their predictions here and talking about how horrible they are before the season starts. Then when we beat them we treat it as some sort of feat instead of just beating a very bad team.

They still managed to hang almost 300 yards on us and ran pretty well considering how bad or unproven their RBs are. I wouldn't have expected 4 ypc from those clown RBs, I expected less than 3.

Stats padded by the unusual play in the last 2 minutes of both the 2nd and 4th quarters. When a team is in prevent, the short stuff is going to be given up easy.

Elite is a word used after 16 games have been played IMHO. Are they good? Yes. Suffocating? Yes. But let's see it through 16 games. Chicago was a great test, but we'll see if we can hold our own against Antonio Gates this Sunday. As for now, I'm reveling in the 2-0 start.

gebobs
09-15-2014, 11:05 AM
So far they've been pulling a page from Walt Corey's "bend, don't break" playbook. Two games does not a trend make, but they are averaging 370 ypg against.

On the other hand, they are tied for 8th in opponent's 3rd down efficiency and have stopped three of four 4th down attempts. The defense has only been flagged for seven penalties totaling 63 yards despite the league-wide flood of calls on defensive backfields. They are 6th in sacks and 4th in turnovers.

All I can say is I'm glad this week is a home game. The crowd will be berserkowicz.

PromoTheRobot
09-15-2014, 11:21 AM
LOL. Let's not get carried away yet. If they can go to Seattle and do that, then we can talk.

Smooth move setting a mark that's unattainable since we can't play in Seattle this year. Will beating SD count enough for you?

ublinkwescore
09-15-2014, 01:08 PM
Not yet. But give us back Kiko Alonso next year, and watch out.

justasportsfan
09-15-2014, 01:14 PM
I have a feeling after Sunday we'll be bumping this thread .

Skooby
09-15-2014, 01:42 PM
we can't play in Seattle this year

We can play them at a neutral site.

Lucidvizion
09-15-2014, 02:01 PM
I was worried after losing Pettine, but if this keeps up we may have actually upgraded at Defensive coordinator.

imbondz
09-15-2014, 02:04 PM
it makes it all the more disappointing that we lost Kiko for the season

Generalissimus Gibby
09-15-2014, 02:13 PM

Tannehill?

Yeah Miami stinks, not like they beat New England by double digits the week before. Yeah, just awful. Then those Bears, we all know about them, not good at all. **** it all. Absolutely hate being 2-0 and atop the AFC East. I myself (actually no **** I did predict 5-11 before the season) am pissed that this team is currently 2-0 in games I knew we lost. What the ****, I am soooooooo pissed. Its more important that I am right in saying this team sucks than enjoying a pipsqueak alone atop the AFC east and at least tied for the AFC East for at least another week regardless of win or loss 2-0 record. Damn it. 300 yards, yeah not at all like they were getting desperate and were playing from behind. No mention at all that we haven't trailed since the first quarter of the Bears game. Not like we've held two good running teams to less than 100 yards each. Never mind that we beat a Fish team that looked solid on both O and D against our arch nemisises in New England.

Bahumbug, I hate it when the Bills win almost as much as I hate payday, parties, and good health. Keep on preaching it dude, quite frankly I agree with ya, WE DON'T DESERVE to be 2-0. Of course we are, but nevertheless this team will lose and you and I can be there to say SEE!

YardRat
09-15-2014, 05:16 PM
Anybody miss Byrd yet?

The Jokeman
09-15-2014, 05:20 PM

You're going through the BIG D and don't mean Dallas?

notacon
09-15-2014, 05:25 PM
"Elite" means a defense is smothering and game changing, game in and game out.

The Bills defense has shown promise, but it is no where near "elite".

Yesterday is a good example. Miami could not do anything in the first half. They made some adjustments and pushed the Bills defense around in the 3rd quarter.

How about we save the "elite" label until they prove they can be consistent after...let's say...8 weeks.

Meathead
09-15-2014, 05:41 PM
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/UHw6KXbvazs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

pmoon6
09-15-2014, 06:07 PM

Yesterday is a good example. Miami could not do anything in the first half. They made some adjustments and pushed the Bills defense around in the 3rd quarter.

How about we save the "elite" label until they prove they can be consistent after...let's say...8 weeks.Agreed, but just as in the maturation of a QB, a defense feeds off success. Are they the Steel Curtain, the '85 Bears or the 2000 Ravens?

Of course not.

Considering the current NFL rules, I don't think we will see "suffocating" defenses like those ever again.

I think they are good enough to not put the young QB in too many come from behind by 20 points situations.

YardRat
09-15-2014, 06:10 PM
They've played pretty well so far, but it is only two games and 'elite' needs to be earned over a full season...at least.

coastal
09-15-2014, 07:38 PM
He's excited Herr "I'm so reasonable and smart".

Step off.

Mr. Pink
09-15-2014, 08:54 PM
Run D is good, Pass D is suspect.

Hopefully someone figures out how to cover Antonio Gates this weekend.

stuckincincy
09-16-2014, 08:23 AM
We can play them at a neutral site.

Toronto?

gebobs
09-16-2014, 08:38 AM
Toronto?

I think what he was going for was Glendale AZ.

swiper
09-16-2014, 12:21 PM
Smooth move setting a mark that's unattainable since we can't play in Seattle this year. Will beating SD count enough for you?

Not by itself. How about NE in NE. Better for ya?

stuckincincy
09-16-2014, 12:26 PM
I think what he was going for was Glendale AZ.

I must have missed where that was posted. Who did so?

gebobs
09-16-2014, 02:49 PM
I must have missed where that was posted. Who did so?

He was making a joke. We MAY play the Seahawks this year. It would just have to be in the playoffs, specifically the Super Bowl, which is at the "University" of Phoenix Stadium in Glendale.

Tiburon1724
09-16-2014, 11:09 PM

:cheers: there was a guy outside the stadium selling shirts that said "She loves the Buffalo D" thought it was pretty funny.

Novacane
09-21-2014, 12:09 PM
Looking real elite today

Novacane
09-21-2014, 01:11 PM
Elite my ass.

gebobs
09-22-2014, 09:51 AM
Certainly not elite, but they were scorched by an elite passer. When he's on his game, there is no one better.

Yesterday, he was on fire.

Mace
09-22-2014, 05:40 PM
Certainly not elite, but they were scorched by an elite passer. When he's on his game, there is no one better.

Yesterday, he was on fire.

The thing I'm remembering is the Lions guy from SBnation saying Schwartz rarely blitzes, is not flexible/adaptable with personnel, and will never play press coverage with his DB's 8 yards off the line even on 3rd and 6. To put all my Schwartz gripes in one post, I don't like this cornerback rotation stuff either. Honestly haven't paid attention to how often they blitz or if they use press. It's being said that San Diego confused the DB's with pick plays which we had no answer to, and I thought those were Defense 101.

Anyway, I don't feel so terrible about the personnel as I worry Schwartz is a latter day Wannstedt.

Thurmal
09-22-2014, 06:13 PM
Bills D is giving up fewer than 17 pts/game. Can't knock that.

BillsImpossible
09-22-2014, 06:53 PM
The Bills D is elite when Corey Graham plays more than McKelvin or Gilmore.

Night Train
09-23-2014, 04:06 AM
Still very worried about McKelvin and Gilmore at CB.

Graham can't cover them all.

swiper
09-23-2014, 04:42 AM
They need to blitz more in obvious passing situations.

gebobs
09-23-2014, 06:00 AM
Bu but this is the best DL in the league.

GvilleBills
09-23-2014, 06:30 AM
The thing I'm remembering is the Lions guy from SBnation saying Schwartz rarely blitzes, is not flexible/adaptable with personnel, and will never play press coverage with his DB's 8 yards off the line even on 3rd and 6. To put all my Schwartz gripes in one post, I don't like this cornerback rotation stuff either. Honestly haven't paid attention to how often they blitz or if they use press. It's being said that San Diego confused the DB's with pick plays which we had no answer to, and I thought those were Defense 101.

Anyway, I don't feel so terrible about the personnel as I worry Schwartz is a latter day Wannstedt.

I had flashbacks to Wannstache on Sunday, and have been physically ill since.

pmoon6
09-24-2014, 07:28 AM
HaHaHa.

What a bunch of know nothing ass holes.

There are tissues and pacifiers in the Zone Store.

Fletch
09-24-2014, 07:49 AM
Run D is good, Pass D is suspect.

Run D has been good against well below average RBs. Forte averaged 4.8 ypc which isn't good.

I suspect that as we play a lot of RBs better than Donald Brown and Lamar Miller we won't be quite as good.

Mahdi
09-24-2014, 08:13 AM
Run D has been good against well below average RBs. Forte averaged 4.8 ypc which isn't good.

I suspect that as we play a lot of RBs better than Donald Brown and Lamar Miller we won't be quite as good.

The D is NOT elite.

Good defense yes. But not elite. Only Seattle and Arizona are elite at this time.

pmoon6
09-24-2014, 10:07 AM
The D is NOT elite.

Good defense yes. But not elite. Only Seattle and Arizona are elite at this time.Carolina is pretty good as well.

stuckincincy
09-24-2014, 10:56 AM
The D is NOT elite.

Good defense yes. But not elite. Only Seattle and Arizona are elite at this time.

I'm surprised that somebody hasn't busted K. Williams into pieces.

jimmifli
10-05-2014, 11:53 PM
Leads the league in sacks. Best against the run. 5th fewest points per game.

Night Train
10-06-2014, 06:31 AM

But we were supposed to go way down in sacks and overall D after Pettine left.

I read it here so it must be true.

Dr. Lecter
10-06-2014, 07:06 AM
Give me a few minutes and I will find a defensive stat that they are ranked poorly in and we can concentrate on that one

Historian
10-06-2014, 07:12 AM
The Defense is very, very good, and they won yesterday without perhaps their best player, Kyle.

notacon
10-06-2014, 07:16 AM
No, it's not.

Let's see them playing "elite" for 10 games in a row.

Dr. Lecter
10-06-2014, 07:23 AM

And 1st in 3rd down percentage too. Which ties in with the ranking against the run.

Novacane
10-06-2014, 07:28 AM
They looked elite yesterday.

Novacane
10-12-2014, 02:36 PM
delete this thread

Mr. Pink
10-12-2014, 02:39 PM
The run D is elite. The pass D is garbage. The secondary is terrible.

Run D allowed 27 carries for 61 yards. One of those plays was an Edelman rush for 10 yards.

jimmifli
10-26-2014, 10:38 PM
Another game the D wins for us.

BuffaloRedleg
10-26-2014, 10:54 PM
You might seem them rated statistically as the best defense in the league now after that game. I don't think they have proven that on an eye test level, but they are def top 5. That conversation is over.

I'll be honest I'm a QB and offense first type of guy since that is the way the NFL is going, but it is pretty damn awesome having a smash your face defense like we do. Makes me pretty damn proud. The coaching staff needs to take advantage of this because this doesn't happen often.

feldspar
10-27-2014, 12:22 AM
The defense is playing extremely well.

Some humps want to play games with semantics...somebody calls them elite, and then somebody else equates that with infallible. No such thing.

Just say that they look good right now, be happy with that, and we can all go home.

YardRat
10-27-2014, 04:57 AM
Pretty sure 'somebody' will bring up the rushing yards against yesterday to use as an example of how the run D isn't dominant, despite many of those yards coming from Vick after the secondary blanketed his receivers.

coastal
10-27-2014, 06:03 AM
Schwartz made whatever adjustments were needed at halftime.

you know... he coached.

Forward_Lateral
10-27-2014, 06:08 AM
Schwartz made whatever adjustments were needed at halftime.

you know... he coached.

Yesterday was probably the prime example of "halftime adjustments". Obviously the Bills prepared for Geno, and when Vick came in, they weren't ready for his running ability, which let to a couple of scores at the end of the half. The second half, they absolutely destroyed the Jets. I can't remember the last time a Bills D was that dominating. Outside of the garbage time yards and TD, I don't know if the Bills allowed more than a couple of first downs in the second half.

Novacane
10-27-2014, 06:14 AM
They are really good. They are not elite. Shut down guys like Brady and Rivers then they can be called elite.

jimmifli
11-30-2014, 07:51 PM
How'd we win this game again?

YardRat
11-30-2014, 08:24 PM
Damn, it's been a month since anybody posted in this thread?

Pretty dominant performance against an offense they should have dominated. Save for the long drive aided by the unsportsmanlike conduct penalty against AW (still don't know what he did, but it extended the drive) and the 'breaking in' TD drive with Johnny Football it was fun to watch. They completely locked down the Brown's rushers, didn't give up anything at all over the top, and really only bent against the short crossers and slants which was obviously by design. No way Cleveland would have found the end zone without the switch at QB.

cookie G
11-30-2014, 09:24 PM
They probably lead the league for in-game QB benchings.

ICRockets
12-01-2014, 05:35 AM
If we're able to re-sign Hughes/Dareus/Spikes, and we get Kiko back and Brown has a full off-season to train....this might be the best front 7 the NFL has ever seen.

YardRat
12-13-2014, 11:37 AM
Just in case nobody else noticed...

http://espn.go.com/nfl/statistics/team/_/stat/total/sort/totalPointsPerGame
http://www.buffalobills.com/schedules/game-schedule.html

Buffalo's defense has held every opponent they have faced this season, except for the Patriots, under that team's points per game average.

Granted, technically speaking the one game against the Jets might not count (23 vs 16.5) but the average between the two games does (13 vs 16.5, and we are talking average, right?), and in at least one case (San Diego) the difference is negligible (22 pts scored, 22.5 average) but still that's decent consistency.

Hopefully that holds true for the rest of the season (we would have to hold New England to 24 the second time around for a 'clean sweep') and the offense can put up 33, 16 and 25 to wrap up the year :D

kscdogbillsfan1221
12-13-2014, 12:10 PM
Just in case nobody else noticed...

http://espn.go.com/nfl/statistics/team/_/stat/total/sort/totalPointsPerGame
http://www.buffalobills.com/schedules/game-schedule.html

Buffalo's defense has held every opponent they have faced this season, except for the Patriots, under that team's points per game average.

Granted, technically speaking the one game against the Jets might not count (23 vs 16.5) but the average between the two games does (13 vs 16.5, and we are talking average, right?), and in at least one case (San Diego) the difference is negligible (22 pts scored, 22.5 average) but still that's decent consistency.

Hopefully that holds true for the rest of the season (we would have to hold New England to 24 the second time around for a 'clean sweep') and the offense can put up 33, 16 and 25 to wrap up the year :D

but.... but..... but.... yardie.......

i was told by some of our posters that our D is not elite and we haven't faced any good offenses yet. There's no way you can be right! I was told to expect the defense to get significantly worse this year compared to last year. And i was also told that having Teddy Bridgewater throw his first TD pass of his career against you is a mark against you as well.

YardRat
12-13-2014, 01:17 PM
Seattle can't make the same claim. The Lions are close (three). Nether can Denver or San Fran. Those are the top 5 statistically.

coastal
12-14-2014, 02:00 PM
jimmifli is right

djjimkelly
12-14-2014, 02:40 PM
this D IS ELITE NUFF SAID

YardRat
12-14-2014, 02:47 PM
If anybody would have said two weeks ago that this defense would face Manning and Rodgers back-to-back and not give up a TD pass to either they would have been laughed off of the board.

kscdogbillsfan1221
12-14-2014, 02:48 PM
If anybody would have said two weeks ago that this defense would face Manning and Rodgers back-to-back and not give up a TD pass to either they would have been laughed off of the board.

agree. i thought they were good but there's no way i would have said we would keep them out of the endzone with zero TD passes

jimmifli
12-14-2014, 03:26 PM
That's ****ing crazy.

justasportsfan
12-14-2014, 04:00 PM

How about we save the "elite" label until they prove they can be consistent after...let's say...8 weeks.
If it wasn't Orton who led us to an 8-8 season then who did? The elite D. Either ways you were wrong about Orton not being able to lead this team to 8-8 and that this d is not elite.

jimmifli
12-14-2014, 06:55 PM

So Manning's streak ended at 51, anyone know if Rogers was on a streak?

The Jokeman
12-14-2014, 06:56 PM
Waiting to here Fletch's excuse this week.

YardRat
12-14-2014, 07:02 PM

Only 14 games, unless you don't count the Chicago game where he was injured very early. Then it's 24.

cookie G
12-14-2014, 07:04 PM

- His 1st game with 0 Pass TD and multiple Int.
-it was just his 2nd career game with 0 Pass TD and an Int.
- His 40.5 completion percentage was his worst ever in a start.
- His 28 incompletions were a career high (6 more than any other game).
- He averaged 4.4 yards per attempt Sunday, his 2nd lowest in a game.

In case anyone is wondering whether they may have slowed down in recent games

-the Pack had a streak of 11 straight games with a 1st Quarter TD. The 1982 or 1983 Redskins have the NFL record at 12.
-they were averaging over 40 points per game in their past 5 games;

http://scores.espn.go.com/nfl/recap?gameId=400554386

Best D in the NFL..bar none.

cookie G
12-14-2014, 07:05 PM
They probably lead the league for in-game QB benchings.

If it wasn't Aaron Rodgers, he would have been benched this week.

jimmifli
12-15-2014, 12:15 PM
Best D in the NFL..bar none.
That's quite a statement. It is a lot of fun watching good football again, even if it's only one side of the ball.

Ginger Vitis
12-15-2014, 12:26 PM
Waiting to here Fletch's excuse this week.

He has been quiet on the other board..Only thing he wants to talk about is how bad Cordy Glenn has been lol