PDA

View Full Version : What game(s) would make this team a legitimate WC/playoff contender if the Bills win?

BillsOverDolphins
09-16-2014, 05:46 AM
We're obviously going to drop some games at some point, so...

Remaining schedule:

Chargers
@Texans
@Lions
Patriots
Vikings
@Jets
Chiefs
@Dolphins
Jets
Browns
@Broncos
Packers
@Raiders
@Patriots

I see the next 2 divisional games as a litmus test for how legit this team really is--not only because the rival/divisional implications, but right around that time is when the Bills usually start their downward spiral (2003, 2008 and 2011). To add to that Brady owns us and the Bills have been awful in NJ since the mid-90's. To go into the Bye with 3 divisional wins under our belt would be pretty schweet. I made a thread like this in 2011 and had similar reservations about the Jets home game, and how that would be our make-or-break moment. As usual, I was right. The next 2 games will also be a nice test, but I like our chances in the next 2 games if EJ can keep on not screwing up. We'll need him to actually throw for a respectable amount of yds in the divisional games, though.

The encouraging part is I only see 2 automatic L's on the schedule (@NE, @DEN) as of now, where as in years past there was about 5-6 per year.

Fletch
09-16-2014, 05:50 AM
any 8 more

Historian
09-16-2014, 07:03 AM
If they beat NE on Columbus Day weekend, I'll start saving money for the playoff voucher...

don137
09-16-2014, 07:36 AM
If they win two of next three than Patriots game will really set the tone of this team. This team for the first time since Kelly has a little swagger in its step. Beating two good teams to start the season goes a long way.
However, they need to defeat the dragon and knock off the Patriots. Knocking off the Patriots at home will set the tone for a wild card berth. Sweeping the Patriots will slay the dragon for the division crown. However, way to early to seriously think about division title. Small steps.

RedEyE
09-16-2014, 12:10 PM
The Patriots game is the obvious answer but truthfully, if you want to set the tone, you beat the Chargers this week. Beating the team that just beat the "untouchable" Seahawks and skyrocketing to 3-0 sends a message up and down the spine of every other team on the Bills schedule this season.

And honestly, if the Bills are a playoff caliber team you should win these games at home. It has been a loooooong time coming since the Bills have been dominate on their own turf. This game, while not nearly as important as beating the division rival Dolphins, becomes necessary. It sets precedence. Especially before heading out the road for two weeks and then a home coming with the Pats. Before the Bills leave Buffalo, they need to send a message to the Patriots, to the league, that the Buffalo Bills are the only team that will win at Ralph Wilson Stadium this season.

The Beef
09-16-2014, 12:13 PM
Fletch nailed it, get to wins.You may not make it with 10, but you are worthy of being in the playoff conversation.

stuckincincy
09-16-2014, 12:22 PM
The Patriots game is the obvious answer but truthfully, if you want to set the tone, you beat the Chargers this week. Beating the team that just beat the "untouchable" Seahawks and skyrocketing to 3-0 sends a message up and down the spine of every other team on the Bills schedule this season.

And honestly, if the Bills are a playoff caliber team you should win these games at home. It has been a loooooong time coming since the Bills have been dominate on their own turf. This game, while not nearly as important as beating the division rival Dolphins, becomes necessary. It sets precedence. Especially before heading out the road for two weeks and then a home coming with the Pats. Before the Bills leave Buffalo, they need to send a message to the Patriots, to the league, that the Buffalo Bills are the only team that will win at Ralph Wilson Stadium this season.

Agree 100%. SD got beat by a point by a decent AZ club, and holding the ball for 42 minutes against SEA was notable, at least as things go on early in the season.

Knocking off SD, albeit at home, would be a big step.

trapezeus
09-16-2014, 12:26 PM
if the bills are in first or tied for first going into Pats game and they win that one, that's how you know its for real that the playoffs could happen.

not only because it would have gotten us past our normal failing spot, but because we'd be 2-0 in the division at that point and other teams wouldn't be.

and it would mean that we kind of took care of business at home and won the games that we were supposed to win.

Ed
09-16-2014, 12:53 PM
Denver still looks like the favorite to be #1 in the AFC, so winning in Denver looks like the toughest game to me by far. I might actually go to this game. I'm still debating.

Being able to finally win at New England would tell me this team is for real, but these games are both late in the year.

I'd really like to see this team develop an attitude by being tough and dominant at home.

BLeonard
09-16-2014, 01:08 PM
any 8 more

This is pretty much my answer, as well. However, I will elaborate a bit...

IMO, the easiest path to ten wins is to win the 7 remaining home games. That puts the Bills at 9 wins, meaning any one of the remaining road games that the Bills can win would put the win total at 10.

In a perfect world, the Bills will have those 10 wins before the month of December, because those last four games are brutal.

In short, I don't think any one game or games is more important to win... They just need to get to 10 wins.

-Bill

Ed
09-16-2014, 01:22 PM
This is pretty much my answer, as well. However, I will elaborate a bit...

IMO, the easiest path to ten wins is to win the 7 remaining home games. That puts the Bills at 9 wins, meaning any one of the remaining road games that the Bills can win would put the win total at 10.

In a perfect world, the Bills will have those 10 wins before the month of December, because those last four games are brutal.

In short, I don't think any one game or games is more important to win... They just need to get to 10 wins.

-Bill
Agreed that December is brutal, but I would like to think they can win in Oakland. That is a terrible team. Maybe the worst in the league. Either way, if we don't have at least 8 or 9 wins after Thanksgiving, we probably don't make the playoffs.

BLeonard
09-16-2014, 03:56 PM
Agreed that December is brutal, but I would like to think they can win in Oakland. That is a terrible team. Maybe the worst in the league. Either way, if we don't have at least 8 or 9 wins after Thanksgiving, we probably don't make the playoffs.

The main issue I have with the Oakland game is that it is the second West Coast trip in 3 weeks... If the Packers and Raiders games were swapped, I'd be much less concerned, because they'd likely just stay out West after the Denver game.

Going to Denver, coming all the way back to host Green Bay and going all the way back out to Oakland, just to turn around and go all the way back to New England is around 9000 miles of travel in the month of December.

-Bill

Jry44
09-16-2014, 04:01 PM
I don't think there is no one game. The Patriots game in 2011 told us this. You have to approach 10 wins, then I will start thinking playoffs.

Ed
09-16-2014, 04:08 PM
The main issue I have with the Oakland game is that it is the second West Coast trip in 3 weeks... If the Packers and Raiders games were swapped, I'd be much less concerned, because they'd likely just stay out West after the Denver game.

Going to Denver, coming all the way back to host Green Bay and going all the way back out to Oakland, just to turn around and go all the way back to New England is around 9000 miles of travel in the month of December.

-Bill
That's a good point. I'm hoping the Bills will still have something to play for and the Raiders will just be looking to end a miserable season, so that even a tired or flat team can still eek out a win. That's a long ways away though.

Ingtar33
09-16-2014, 04:12 PM
i think the chargers are a legit wild card team. this is EXACTLY the type of game we need to win if we want to make the playoffs. and the quality of team we'll need to beat if we want to go deep into those playoffs.

Ed
09-16-2014, 04:15 PM
i think the chargers are a legit wild card team. this is EXACTLY the type of game we need to win if we want to make the playoffs. and the quality of team we'll need to beat if we want to go deep into those playoffs.
Agreed. It's early, but being up 2 games on a good team like SD would be big, and you never know how critical it could be to hold that head to head tie-breaker.

Skooby
09-16-2014, 04:21 PM

Oakland looks terrible & you'd think if we're making the playoffs we beat 1 or 2 of the 3 remaining teams December. Packers at home being the most obvious next win & Denver didn't look that unbeatable at home, the Pats is someone that we're going to need to conquer anywhere. I actually think the last Pats game determines AFC east winner with the loser becoming a WC card team.

trapezeus
09-16-2014, 04:29 PM

agreed, but if they lose this one, i think they still have a chance for the playoffs. the team is designed to simply get to the playoffs. deep run seems a little optimistic for a team coming off such a huge drought.

would you mind if we lost in round of the playoffs would that be disappointing? it would suck for sure, but just getting the monkey off the back would be good for the fan pschye as well as team morale. once a team makes the playoffs and then can build on that, they can establish an identity. and frankly the team is still pretty young with the exception of kyle williams.

Generalissimus Gibby
09-16-2014, 05:17 PM
any 8 more

Literally the first sensible thing you've posted in weeks.

Generalissimus Gibby
09-16-2014, 05:20 PM

Remaining schedule:

Chargers
@Texans
@Lions
Patriots
Vikings
@Jets
Chiefs
@Dolphins
Jets
Browns
@Broncos
Packers
@Raiders
@Patriots

I see the next 2 divisional games as a litmus test for how legit this team really is--not only because the rival/divisional implications, but right around that time is when the Bills usually start their downward spiral (2003, 2008 and 2011). To add to that Brady owns us and the Bills have been awful in NJ since the mid-90's. To go into the Bye with 3 divisional wins under our belt would be pretty schweet. I made a thread like this in 2011 and had similar reservations about the Jets home game, and how that would be our make-or-break moment. As usual, I was right. The next 2 games will also be a nice test, but I like our chances in the next 2 games if EJ can keep on not screwing up. We'll need him to actually throw for a respectable amount of yds in the divisional games, though.

The encouraging part is I only see 2 automatic L's on the schedule (@NE, @DEN) as of now, where as in years past there was about 5-6 per year.

To make the post season we gotta beat the teams we are better than: the Chiefs, Raiders, Browns.

We have to split with the Jets

and we have to beat the teams we have parity with right now, Minnesota, Detroit, San Diego

That means one more win.

10-6 seems doable, but we need 8 wins.

Ingtar33
09-16-2014, 05:26 PM
agreed, but if they lose this one, i think they still have a chance for the playoffs. the team is designed to simply get to the playoffs. deep run seems a little optimistic for a team coming off such a huge drought.

would you mind if we lost in round of the playoffs would that be disappointing? it would suck for sure, but just getting the monkey off the back would be good for the fan pschye as well as team morale. once a team makes the playoffs and then can build on that, they can establish an identity. and frankly the team is still pretty young with the exception of kyle williams.

i'd love for them to get to the playoffs. I just think this is the first real barameter we're gonna have this season so i'm interested in the outcome. The chargers... baring some series of freak injuries or weird losses should make the playoffs this year. They are showing it as well on the football field... taking a very tough Cardnals team to the wire on the road and then beating the defending champs at home. If we can win, i'll feel a lot better about our chances this year to make the playoffs. Right now i'm still sorta torn on just how good the teams we beat are. Chicago always struck me as a 7-9~ish... maybe a little better team... same for miami... those types of teams lose all sorts of dumb games.

The Jokeman
09-16-2014, 05:56 PM

Remaining schedule:

Chargers
@Texans
@Lions
Patriots
Vikings
@Jets
Chiefs
@Dolphins
Jets
Browns
@Broncos
Packers
@Raiders
@Patriots

I think winning the next two games are critical as both Conference games. What hurt us last year were losing winnable games against the Bengals and Browns and of course messing up the Falcons games with costly fumbles.