PDA

View Full Version : How will BUF plan against SD and QB Rivers?

stuckincincy
09-16-2014, 01:37 PM
Asking for forum opinions here.

Rivers has been a top qb for several years. He has his own talent, and I assume that the OCs he has worked under know how to run an offense that feature and support him.

So...how does the BUF staff plan to stop him?

Dujek
09-16-2014, 01:39 PM
Put him on his back early and often. Can't hit your receivers if you're looking at the sky.

GreedoII
09-16-2014, 01:47 PM
Nickel packages since they have no running game to speak of. Flood the routes and double up on Gates early. pray our front 4 get pressure. Maybe send a corner blitz with the extra DB or send a LB up the gut

stuckincincy
09-16-2014, 01:51 PM
Nickel packages since they have no running game to speak of. Flood the routes and double up on Gates early. pray our front 4 get pressure. Maybe send a corner blitz with the extra DB or send a LB up the gutI like the idea of a quick corner blitz.

The King
09-16-2014, 03:21 PM
Greedo is spot on. We have great DB depth and they're left with Woodhead and Brown at RB. Exotic Nickel packages with Robey and Graham (since he's easily our most intelligent DB) let Mckelvin and Gilmore play the outside. We have to account for Gates clearly, but this was a trap game for Seattle, they overlooked San Diego with Denver coming up. I'm not intimidated by the Chargers if we play like we did Sunday it's our game to lose.

Pinkerton Security
09-16-2014, 03:37 PM
With Ryan Matthews out, I feel like they're going to utilize Allen and Gates on intermediate routes and Woodhead and Donald Brown on swing passes, screens, etc - should be interesting to see how the coaching staff deals with the screens (if they use them) because we seem to be susceptible to them.

trapezeus
09-16-2014, 03:50 PM
i think having a LB on the side with gates and our DE would help jam gates. and if we are fast enough to the QB, they may need to find a way to stop that rush package from being effective. which may take gates out of certain packages.

i also think this could be a good game to do the sugar rush or the all guys standing up on defense. crowd the middle of the field to slow down TE passes and force passes to the outside.

Ed
09-16-2014, 03:55 PM
With Ryan Matthews out, I feel like they're going to utilize Allen and Gates on intermediate routes and Woodhead and Donald Brown on swing passes, screens, etc - should be interesting to see how the coaching staff deals with the screens (if they use them) because we seem to be susceptible to them.
I know Gates just had a big game, but Allen is the guy that concerns me a lot more. He can flat out play. I think he's their best weapon.

ServoBillieves
09-16-2014, 04:13 PM
Searcy and Robey blitzes.

YardRat
09-16-2014, 04:43 PM
Pressure Rivers, and pound him. He's not afraid to throw the ball up for grabs, so the DB's are going to have to be aware of where the ball is and when it's coming their way.

Woodman
09-16-2014, 04:51 PM
2 down linemen, 4 linebackers, and 5 defensive backs or we could just beat the **** out of them.

YardRat
09-16-2014, 04:59 PM
I would send five guys all day long. Show a cover2 shell but play C1, if SD has two wideouts run a 43, send whatever LBer is lined up on Gates side and creep up the safety to cover the space. If three WR, let the dline rush 4. A little zone-blitzing sprinkled in, with Hughes and Williams backing off to cover the quick slants and flats and being replaced in the pass rush by a couple of backers or a LB and a safety.

Woodman
09-16-2014, 05:02 PM
I would send five guys all day long. Show a cover2 shell but play C1, if SD has two wideouts run a 43, send whatever LBer is lined up on Gates side and creep up the safety to cover the space. If three WR, let the dline rush 4. A little zone-blitzing sprinkled in, with Hughes and Williams backing off to cover the quick slants and flats and being replaced in the pass rush by a couple of backers or a LB and a safety.

He's a vet QB I'd send 6.

YardRat
09-16-2014, 05:04 PM
I don't think Schwartz will sell out and send six. In all honesty, I don't expect to see five that much even though I'd like it.

elroy16
09-16-2014, 07:02 PM
The front 4 needs to collapse the pocket and keep rivers from buying time. He's very good at moving in the pocket and making plays. I think they'll continue to do what they've been doing and try to keep everything in front of them and force the the chargers into long drives.

Mace
09-16-2014, 07:33 PM
I guess my thought is as people said, they need get to Rivers. He's inclined to get rattled, more so on the road.

If they can contain the running game and hit him often, he's going to desperately lock onto Gates. That can be fine if they have a plan for Gates. Corey Graham and Searcy ? Gates is going to get yards, make him pay for them, don't let him go anywhere after the catch. Keep getting to Rivers.

Before the season started, I had major concerns about Schwartz. But these first two games, I have come to like their pass defense. It looks prepared and adept when they don't fall back into the endlessly futile prevent.

Coup-de-grace is the frenzied crowd, miscommunication and a fundamentally chaotic Rivers.

They can do this. If they do, I think Schwartz may be winning me over.