PDA

View Full Version : What is the biggest improvement the Bills offense need going forward?

ghz in pittsburgh
09-16-2014, 07:06 PM
One thing and one thing only if you can fix.

To me, it's not EJ a leap forward (we are winning with his current play until proven otherwise), not Red zone offense woe. It is consistent running game.

We are 31 in 1st down, low 3rd down conversion. getting more offensive plays run against us. To me, it goes back to running game. We have broken big plays on runs, but too many 0-2 yards carries, especially in Red Zone.

Chris Wiiliams and Pears improved the passing protection overall. But I believe w lose bit on guards running blocks. Hope they can improve in that regard.

SpikedLemonade
09-16-2014, 07:14 PM
I agree.

The run blocking has not been good.

BillsImpossible
09-16-2014, 07:18 PM
Bills need more Boobie in the red zone.

Mace
09-16-2014, 07:21 PM

Or Summers.

Red zone though. You make make anything you want of it, EJ/receivers need step up, or the backs do, but they need touchdowns going forward if they mean to keep up with the big kids.

BillsImpossible
09-16-2014, 07:23 PM
Who would have thought that the Bills greatest strength last year is their biggest weakness this year?

Even Fred Jackson acknowledged that the Bills passing game is ahead of the running attack.

CJ Spiller has been okay at running back, but not great.

Boobie Dixon deserves more carries.

Good problems....

Fletch
09-16-2014, 08:10 PM
Just ball movement and 1st downs. Keep the D off the field more.

YardRat
09-16-2014, 08:43 PM
Definitely the oline. Need more power up the middle, they still get no push on short yardage.

That will solve more than one issue on offense.

ICRockets
09-16-2014, 09:34 PM
An elite tight end.

elroy16
09-16-2014, 10:26 PM
I agree with the run blocking assessment. I think some of the play calling focuses on helping the pass blocking though. The qb option runs are slower developing runs. I think the lack of diversity in run calls allows LBs to penetrate more, but also leaves the middle of the field more open for the pass.

They are mixing up the runs with fake swing passes, bubble screens, and a few other things, but so far they've been handing it off the majority of the time. I'd like to see some single back quick hand offs to maximize Fred's ability to find creases in the line, but I won't complain too much as long as they keep expanding on the qb option.

sukie
09-17-2014, 09:53 AM
Pretty much all valid points so fart. I did notice alot of calls for Spiller to go up the gut which isn't his forte... Maybe we are saving the tosses in the flat for NE

Figster
09-17-2014, 09:57 AM
red zone efficiency

justasportsfan
09-17-2014, 09:58 AM
An elite tight end.

this and run blocking.

ublinkwescore
09-17-2014, 10:01 AM
we need touchdowns, not field goals. three tds instead of field goals against miami ='s 40 point performance on sunday.

ghz in pittsburgh
09-17-2014, 10:59 AM
we need touchdowns, not field goals. three tds instead of field goals against miami ='s 40 point performance on sunday.

The ability to run the ball in the red zone is the key for this team. Team like NE is doing the opposite: the thread of Brady opens up so many rushing TDs down there.

Marrone admiited pretty much on Monday that the Bills' rushing average in Red Zone is 1 ypc. That is just down right atrocious. Of course this is an issue continued from last season. They may need run blocking better. But maybe they can give Dixon some carries to see if he can move the piles better than CJ and Jackson.

Even not in red zone, the fact the team not able to convert 3rd and 3 or shorter by run is alarming.

JoeMama
09-17-2014, 11:01 AM
Pretty much all valid points so fart. I did notice alot of calls for Spiller to go up the gut which isn't his forte... Maybe we are saving the tosses in the flat for NE

This is the best typo ever.

TacklingDummy
09-17-2014, 11:01 AM
EJ needs to hit those wide open receivers in stride which will turn FGs into Touchdowns.

It will also extend drives keeping our defense fresh.

Fletch
09-17-2014, 11:21 AM

Everyone keeps saying that about Spiller but if you look at his splits from last year, he did most of his damage straight up the middle.

He had his most yards and biggest ypc avg there.

This season his biggest run was through the offensive line with a nice hole. He hasn't run particularly well otherwise.

Everyone keeps trying to blame the coaching, system, and plays for Spiller's lack of production, but maybe it's just Spiller.

Fletch
09-17-2014, 11:23 AM
The ability to run the ball in the red zone is the key for this team. Team like NE is doing the opposite: the thread of Brady opens up so many rushing TDs down there.

Marrone admiited pretty much on Monday that the Bills' rushing average in Red Zone is 1 ypc. That is just down right atrocious. Of course this is an issue continued from last season. They may need run blocking better. But maybe they can give Dixon some carries to see if he can move the piles better than CJ and Jackson.

Even not in red zone, the fact the team not able to convert 3rd and 3 or shorter by run is alarming.

What about passing in the red zone? You don't see that as an issue?

I thought that was why we signed Mike Williams, who incidentally hasn't done anything so far this season.

- - - Updated - - -

They need more SchAAA-wing in the red zone.

ghz in pittsburgh
09-17-2014, 01:34 PM

I thought that was why we signed Mike Williams, who incidentally hasn't done anything so far this season.

- - - Updated - - -

I think you are one of those made up mind on EJ already so I have been avoid you on this forum - no one needs to waste time hatching a stone to chicken.

But I want to point out that I watched first hand the whole development of Roethlisberger from 2004 on where I thought Cowher and his staff was instrumental in the development big Ben and I'm sure Whaley will be 100% more intimate with the entire process. I admit I was one of those thought the Steelers made a big mistake taking Roethlisberger in the 1st round (in hindsight, he should be 1st overall).

Roethlisberger was not supposed to start, but injury to Tommy Maddox forced Ben into service for 14 games, practically a season (if you count the two playoff games). The Steelers went 15-1. Ben averaged 21 passes, 1.1TD, 0.8 INT a game. The Steelers offense scored 36 TDs, Ben threw 17. Bettis alone had 13 TDs rushing from close range.

You can easily see that Ben was in "game manager" mold then. But the Steelers, led by Bettis, was a threat to run the ball every time in Red zone. Inside 10? Everyone knew Bettis was getting the ball and opponent could not stop, leading to many easy play action TD passes from Ben.

Now fast forward to 2014, no one has patience any more. You guys are comparing EJ to Manning, to Luck, to Brady. EJ needs to throw long and wide, needs to shred defense to pieces, needs to score TD every time in red zone. I just don't have that expectation. I just want him NOT to lose games for the Bills which was exactly what Whaley and Marrone set out to do this year.

"What he did is not good enough facing Chargers or other good teams." I heard that 10 years ago in Pittsburgh. Guess what, let him play and see if he can or not. If I remember correctly, that was exactly the words Cowher answered one of the reporter in one of his presser then. I laugh at those in Buffalo media said about Bills current formula won't be good enough to beat good teams. Kansas City went 7-1 with this formula. Whaley sure remembered the Steelers went 15-1 10 years ago with the same formula, and then next year to a superbowl win.

EJ is EJ; Ben is Ben. I'm not comparing them. Just the approach to use them.

Like the 2004 Steelers, Marrone wants to run the ball in 2014. But that's where I see disappointment - not only we don't have a future HOF Bettis on the roster, our offensive line cannot even help converting short yardage.

On D, if we had Kiko Alonzo on the field this season, I'd be tempted to compare our 2014 defense to the 2004 Steelers D.

BuffaloRedleg
09-17-2014, 02:20 PM
I agree.

The run blocking has not been good.

The biggest problem has been the running game in the red zone. Too many 2nd and 8s etc to be effective. O Line just can't see to get enough push. I think they may need to get creative in the red zone as pounding the rock does not seem to work with this line.

BuffaloRedleg
09-17-2014, 02:22 PM

- - - Updated - - -

If you can't run the ball effectively in the red zone then it bleeds over into the passing game. EJ isn't the guy we want throwing the ball all over the red zone until he proves over the course of several games that he can do that effectively without turning it over. He obviously hasn't done that yet, so running the ball well should be our priority and has been our biggest weakness.

stuckincincy
09-17-2014, 02:29 PM
The biggest problem has been the running game in the red zone. Too many 2nd and 8s etc to be effective. O Line just can't see to get enough push. I think they may need to get creative in the red zone as pounding the rock does not seem to work with this line.

I mentioned during pre season that they might want to work in practice with an OL or DL as blocking back in goal line situations, based on CIN having success last season and this season with DT Peko. They have used it elsewhere on the field in short yardage, but as a ruse for a pass play.

RedEyE
09-17-2014, 03:18 PM
3rd down and red zone deficiencies. Solve those issues specifically and this is an elite team. It won't be a sexy offense but it could be wildly effective.