PDA

View Full Version : What the national media are saying about the Bills

imbondz
09-18-2014, 07:06 AM
ok, I've tried for the past week not to be a homer, but I can't help it. I'm so freakin' excited about this season it's not even funny. I know it can all come crashing down quickly, but until then...

This article kinda summarizes what's been written about the Bills since last Sunday. Freakin' fun.

http://www.buffalobills.com/news/article-1/What-theyre-saying-about-the-undefeated-Bills/c4421696-b7a5-4770-bff4-03ecfa95aaff?campaign=fb_buf_article

casdhf
09-18-2014, 08:36 AM
Count me in on the homer train too

Night Train
09-18-2014, 08:50 AM
The press will also dump us faster than a bad habit, once we suffer a couple losses.

Still, this doesn't look like smoke and mirrors this time around ( barring injuries ).

Bring on the Chargers. I like every weekly test now.

trapezeus
09-18-2014, 09:05 AM
press will also build if the team starts having a story book year past week 6. underdog, death of owner, maybe move in future, hero buyer puts everyone at ease and the poor preseason has lots of doubts, lots of fighting and not a lot of people believing. That's the kind of story the nfl would love to keep hyping if the team can keep winning.

to me, if the bills beat SD with a level of confidence and you see EJ step forward with another mistake free game, the bills have a very good chance to be 5-3 or 6-2 at the bye. that would be very exciting.

OpIv37
09-18-2014, 09:41 AM
Good or bad, I don't put much creedence in what the national media says about us.

The national media is looking for viewers/readers. We're a small market team that traditionally lacks big stars and hasn't been relevant in the standings in 15 years or so. They don't pay attention to us because no one except current or former WNY'ers gives a damn, and there aren't enough of us to make it worth their while.

When we do have a moment that is too big to ignore, they half-ass it and get more wrong than they do right. There is nothing the national media can tell us that the regular posters on this board don't already know.

Skooby
09-18-2014, 09:48 AM
I think people have heard more about Jim Kelly getting fixed than the Bills being 2-0, which is just fine with me being under the radar. No one had big hitting Seattle winning it all last year.

BuffaloRedleg
09-18-2014, 10:50 AM
Good or bad, I don't put much creedence in what the national media says about us.

The national media is looking for viewers/readers. We're a small market team that traditionally lacks big stars and hasn't been relevant in the standings in 15 years or so. They don't pay attention to us because no one except current or former WNY'ers gives a damn, and there aren't enough of us to make it worth their while.

When we do have a moment that is too big to ignore, they half-ass it and get more wrong than they do right. There is nothing the national media can tell us that the regular posters on this board don't already know.

You live in Baltimore, is there anything they can tell Ravens fans that they already don't know? I think the national media is just for the average fans who don't really pay attention as well as pretending to cater to us more hardcore fans with lipservice.

There are a few outstanding analysts on TV and Radio, but they are rare.

casdhf
09-18-2014, 11:03 AM
If the NFL truly is a "fixed" league ... expect us to win it all this year.

We are what the NFL wants to be. Rabid, die-hard, and relieved that we are keeping our beloved team.

Forget Ray Rice, That scub on the Cards, AP, and everyone else. The NFL should keep the spotlight on the feel good story of, at least, the last decade.

OpIv37
09-18-2014, 11:38 AM
You live in Baltimore, is there anything they can tell Ravens fans that they already don't know? I think the national media is just for the average fans who don't really pay attention as well as pretending to cater to us more hardcore fans with lipservice.

There are a few outstanding analysts on TV and Radio, but they are rare.

Diehard ravens fans? Probably not. But the Ravens won the SB two years ago and they always have some stars, so there is interest outside of Baltimore. So the national media pays attention and generally gets it right when they talk about the team.

When they talk abou Buffalo, it's a quick inaccurate report followed by some played out joke about the snow.

justasportsfan
09-18-2014, 11:46 AM
national media said we'd lose to bears and fins. Nuff said

justasportsfan
09-18-2014, 11:51 AM
not a good sign. Some of the espn guys are picking the bills/

http://espn.go.com/nfl/picks

same with cbs.
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/features/writers/expert/picks/straight-up/3

nfl.com
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000396582/article/around-the-nfls-power-picks-week-3

yahoos
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/picks

swiper
09-18-2014, 11:51 AM
national media said we'd lose to bears and fins. Nuff said

But if they beat the Chargers. Wow.

justasportsfan
09-18-2014, 11:52 AM
But if they beat the Chargers. Wow.

I'm not sold until we beat the cheatriots

OpIv37
09-18-2014, 12:04 PM

same with cbs.

nfl.com
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000396582/article/around-the-nfls-power-picks-week-3

yahoos
And see this is exactly what I'm talking about.

We sucked last year and in preseason, so none of these guys bothered to watch us. They just played the odds and picked us to lose.

Now that we won a few games, they just look at the highlights and the stats, said "this team is hot right now" and picked us.

I have to wonder how many, if any, of these guys watched both Bills games and both Chargers games and actually made their prediction based on how they thought the two teams matched up.

swiper
09-18-2014, 12:09 PM

same with cbs.

nfl.com

yahoos

Ah. They're just hopping on the bandwagon. That's all.

better days
09-18-2014, 12:12 PM
And see this is exactly what I'm talking about.

We sucked last year and in preseason, so none of these guys bothered to watch us. They just played the odds and picked us to lose.

Now that we won a few games, they just look at the highlights and the stats, said "this team is hot right now" and picked us.

I have to wonder how many, if any, of these guys watched both Bills games and both Chargers games and actually made their prediction based on how they thought the two teams matched up.

This is their JOB.

IMO, it is inexcusable if they don't watch game rewind for each game at least.

OpIv37
09-18-2014, 01:17 PM
This is their JOB.

IMO, it is inexcusable if they don't watch game rewind for each game at least.

Agreed, but I think few if any of them do. Yeah, if it's Redskins/Cowboys for the div lead in mid December they're probably watching the last few games before saying anything. Bills/Chargers in Sept? They're looking at stats and highlights and picking whichever team appears hotter at the moment.

stuckincincy
09-18-2014, 01:44 PM
Agreed, but I think few if any of them do. Yeah, if it's Redskins/Cowboys for the div lead in mid December they're probably watching the last few games before saying anything. Bills/Chargers in Sept? They're looking at stats and highlights and picking whichever team appears hotter at the moment.

There is little reason for most of them to bone up. They are there as entertainment, doing a show biz job. They get fed this or that factoid to keep the flow going. Exceptions exist...Buck and Aikman are one. If one seeks stellar preparation, you have to go to the college announcers, who, except for a handful of notables, do plow through rosters and remember names and tendencies and history, and so on.

And always, like print reporters, if you are too critical in their eyes, be it the team, the league, the tv folks, you risk getting blackballed. I don't know what the TV minimum announcing gig pays. Let's say it's a quarter million on the low end plus perks for a 4 month commitment to flap your gums for a couple hours every Sunday. I'd be insipid for that kind of part-time coin, too.

The old timer Brett Musburger is a throwback. He, even at advanced age, prepares himself with all the info, be it college or pro. He was tops in his years of radio play-by-play across several sports.

RedEyE
09-18-2014, 01:52 PM
I'm just going to enjoy this feeling for as long as it lasts and avoid these articles the best I can.

I know they're not a perfect team and that they will not go 16-0. I know that the chances of EJ Manuel being the next Jim Kelly are slim. And I see the NFL and the amazing parity it has delivered in recent years. Every week is winnable and every week is equally losable. Just as quick as the Bills became 2-0 they could quite easily drop to 2-2.

The media rides the story line rollercoaster and Buffalo and the Bills have had nothing but good vibes in recent weeks. This has all of these media circus hyperbole ass clowns grabbing their twitter saturated phones to ignite a blurb from center bandwagon.

1 loss and these turd burglers are back salivating over Brady's jock itch.

stuckincincy
09-18-2014, 02:23 PM
This has all of these media circus hyperbole ass clowns grabbing their twitter saturated phones to ignite a blurb from center bandwagon.

1 loss and these turd burglers are back salivating over Brady's jock itch.

I give you a solid "A" for adjective usage and one of the better pair of declarative sentences I've read in quite a while.

:kid:

BuffaloRedleg
09-18-2014, 02:49 PM
We could make a really good living this year beating the teams who beat good teams. If we beat San Diego how does the NFL not notice?

I'll be honest though, beating the Patriots is the big step. If we go 1 and 2 in our next 3 games, but beat the Pats, well then **** yeah.

stuckincincy
09-18-2014, 03:00 PM
We could make a really good living this year beating the teams who beat good teams. If we beat San Diego how does the NFL not notice?

I'll be honest though, beating the Patriots is the big step. If we go 1 and 2 in our next 3 games, but beat the Pats, well then **** yeah.

Were I SD, I'd shoot a lb to occupy BUF's RT, bounce inside, and loop my LDE.

imbondz
09-18-2014, 03:21 PM
Chargers W
Texans L
Lions L
NE W
Vikings W
Jets W
Chiefs W
Dolphins W
Jets L
Brown W
Broncos L
Packers L
Raiders W
NE L

10-6

or we **** the bed and finish 6-10 again.

better days
09-18-2014, 03:55 PM

How GREAT would it be to sweep the Pats*?

BuffaloRedleg
09-18-2014, 04:06 PM

Haha let's not get ahead of ourselves.

They do look very human this year, as does Brady. He has always had a problem with pressure and we're better at pressuring the QB than the Dolphins.

Just splitting with them is a major step forward.

alohabillsfan
09-18-2014, 07:18 PM
You don't have to go back to far for media coverage, remember when the Bills were 5-1 just extended fitz then the team crashed and burned and the media left. I hope the bills play well on Sunday.

Mace
09-18-2014, 08:24 PM

Well yeah, but it's more fun to read them saying better things week to week.

The thing I worry about, is that traditionally when they start buying in to us, we start getting worse.

I was horrified when one writer who picked Miami 24-23, admitted he was misjudged us and took Buffalo this week 20-17.

OpIv37
09-18-2014, 08:51 PM
Well yeah, but it's more fun to read them saying better things week to week.

The thing I worry about, is that traditionally when they start buying in to us, we start getting worse.

I was horrified when one writer who picked Miami 24-23, admitted he was misjudged us and took Buffalo this week 20-17.
But that's the problem. They're not really buying into us. They appear to be, but they don't know enough about is to know the difference. They just saw some decent stats and impressive highlights and know we made them look bad last week.

If it were real football experts who actually watched both games saying good things, then I'd be impressed. But these guys aren't there for football knowledge only- they're there because they have TV looks, name recognition, personality and enoug football knowledge to get by. And they don't pay enough attention to us to know if we are for real or not.

imbondz
09-18-2014, 09:24 PM
my only point was that it's nice to get positive press and attention that's all. none of us know if we're a legit team yet

Mace
09-18-2014, 10:38 PM
But that's the problem. They're not really buying into us. They appear to be, but they don't know enough about is to know the difference. They just saw some decent stats and impressive highlights and know we made them look bad last week.

If it were real football experts who actually watched both games saying good things, then I'd be impressed. But these guys aren't there for football knowledge only- they're there because they have TV looks, name recognition, personality and enoug football knowledge to get by. And they don't pay enough attention to us to know if we are for real or not.

I'm good with that. I just never see football experts anymore. They all throw you some editorial based on wire reports and what they read from beat reporters.

I don't want them ever buying into us, even if they it makes me feel better when they do. Yes, that's contradictory and I'm good with being a hypocrite in this case. They can not buy into us all the way into not agreeing with our Lombardi trophy if they want, though if things are not going to go well I'm fine with them giving us more credit than we deserve when we haven't earned it until they start making fun of us again.

I guess, really, I have the most fun reading their clueless before it tilts in one direction or another.

If we're going to be real honest, there's nothing whatever to be impressed about until they bring home a Lombardi. I don't think it will be this year so I'm happy when they win games the "experts" don't think they will, or talk about them as if they were better than they are in the week leading up to ones they don't. We always watch good teams we might personally think aren't all that, or think other favorites are better than they are, really.

Somehow, it made it worse in the 90's when everyone in the country probably wanted us to win ONE at least and should surely be able to, including in our opponents cities, and then everyone felt worse about us again until the next time, when they were begging fate to let us win one, and oh no......well we can make fun of them again !

You're the real football expert when you watch the games and see a good team beat people I think.

Fletch
09-19-2014, 06:31 AM

It's a good year to take one game, the Pats defense isn't good again. The Pats go as Brady goes and right now he's not playing well. I'm not going to be stupid enough to say that he won't come around, but if he doesn't they aren't any better than an 8-8 to 10-6 team and that only because the other three teams in the division are probably weaker than they are.

Could this be the end of the Brady era Pats?

yordad
09-19-2014, 11:27 AM
Do we even know if the Bills are a good team yet? I watched every snap and still have no idea. Lol

alohabillsfan
09-19-2014, 02:53 PM
I would just like the press in December vice September

HAMMER
09-19-2014, 04:48 PM
Jurys out, a win Sunday would be big in many ways. Especially since SD should be in the WC mix and we hope to be as well.