PDA

View Full Version : Roger Goodell Says Words thread

Bunion
09-19-2014, 02:13 PM
Did anybody watch the press conference?

Night Train
09-19-2014, 02:16 PM
Some guy just freaked out and was thrown out.

SpikedLemonade
09-19-2014, 02:21 PM
That was one strange incident.

bf1
09-19-2014, 02:34 PM
The self righteous condemnation of Goodell is sickening. Yes he dropped the ball, but he's not the one who committed the acts. I really never liked him, but the HATE put is way is way too much.

WagonCircler
09-19-2014, 02:41 PM
The self righteous condemnation of Goodell is sickening. Yes he dropped the ball, but he's not the one who committed the acts. I really never liked him, but the HATE put is way is way too much.

They need a villain who's not a minority, otherwise the scandal will fizzle too quickly. Goodell fits the bill nicely. Rich? Check. White? Check. Lawyer? Check.

So what if the actual crime rate among NFL players is 13% of that in the rest of society. "Facts be damned! This is an epidemic! These three players are emblematic of the violent NFL lifestyle and proves that American football should be banned and replaced with Soccer!"

THATHURMANATOR
09-19-2014, 02:43 PM
People are such busy bodies.

I don't care about it AT ALLLLLLLL.

OpIv37
09-19-2014, 02:50 PM

Oh he very much deserves the hate. He tried to cover up the Rice incident then punished the guy twice for the same offense in an attempt to appease popular opinion and save his own hide.

Ever since he became commissioner, he's been obsessed with player and fan behavior, and he's made no progress in changing either one. Ray Rice punching a chick isn't his fault, but the way he has dealt with it is appallingly incompetent.

Gilly
09-19-2014, 02:51 PM
It is all the press has to report on right now..

A natural disaster or terrorist attack would knock this off the front page and everyone would forget about it...

bf1
09-19-2014, 02:54 PM
Oh he very much deserves the hate. He tried to cover up the Rice incident then punished the guy twice for the same offense in an attempt to appease popular opinion and save his own hide.

Ever since he became commissioner, he's been obsessed with player and fan behavior, and he's made no progress in changing either one. Ray Rice punching a chick isn't his fault, but the way he has dealt with it is appallingly incompetent.

Hate? C'mon.

- - - Updated - - -

It is all the press has to report on right now..

A natural disaster or terrorist attack would knock this off the front page and everyone would forget about it...

Alibaba stock. iPhone 6.

Albany,n.y.
09-19-2014, 02:56 PM
Some guy just freaked out and was thrown out.

I was getting laundry out of the basement when the guy started screaming & my 1st thought was someone was shooting at Goodell. I came upstairs, re-wound the TV & saw it was nothing.

SpikedLemonade
09-19-2014, 03:05 PM
I wish I had recorded it so I could tell what the interrupter was saying.

I thought he said at the end "please don't take me to the elevator", but I am unsure.

Night Train
09-19-2014, 03:09 PM
I was getting laundry out of the basement when the guy started screaming & my 1st thought was someone was shooting at Goodell. I came upstairs, re-wound the TV & saw it was nothing.

Some guy named Benji from the Howard Stern show. Started screaming " don't put me in an elevator ! " .

What an a-hole.

Woodman
09-19-2014, 03:11 PM
So Goodell said what he had to.

Is anybody satisfied?

I DOUBT HE REALLY GIVES A ****. :D

trapezeus
09-19-2014, 03:13 PM
if it was just this incident, no one would care. but goodell has botched spygate, the ref contracts, new orleans, providing when he knew what about brain injuries. And he continues to be secretive and hold others to a higher standard when he ducks when the pressure is on him.

Again, if he simply didn't name himself the enforcer and dish out random game suspensions and fines based on how goodell feels on any given day, this thing would have been handled correctly. the NFL would have made a decision based on precedent for the offense, players would knkow that the NFL has that authority and sticks to some set of rules.

I think fans are getting to the point that goodell can screw with your team however he wants. ray rice is good, oh it's a minor offense for knocking her out cold, 2 games. roethelisberger, we'll say 6 games, but we'll review it if we want you back earlier than that. under this current situation,he is literally doing whatever the mob asks with no sign of putting a system in. and he's pretending that he couldnt get the tape, but in 1 day he had a former head of the FBI through 2 presidents to head the investigation. so you are telling me you can strong arm an FBI guy in one day to overlook a case, but you can't ask a minimum wage security guy in atlantic city to get the tape?

goodell has shown time and time again that he's not good at the PR aspect of the game. And frankly the nfl is going up in value not because of the commissioner but because people really love football. i guarantee if he resigns or quits or is fired, the NFL gets a grace by fans to operate as it sees fit so long at things seem to have a rhyme or reason to it. and when players do stupid things, the focus remains on the player.

this is roger's fault that it is such a sideshow.

The King
09-19-2014, 03:15 PM
45 minute of him saying nothing.

Woodman
09-19-2014, 03:15 PM
Allow me to repeat ***** HE DOESN'T GIVE A ****!!

Night Train
09-19-2014, 03:20 PM
We're all basically thinking the same thing.

The NFL has an inflated standing of themselves and believes they are above the norm. They think they can still win a game of poker holding a pair of three's. Arrogance of the highest degree.

Agreed ?

BOBM253
09-19-2014, 03:57 PM

Totally agree......

Bunion
09-19-2014, 04:04 PM

I don't hate him, but I think he's an ineffectual leader, with a suspect sense of right and wrong, who should probably lose his job...

swiper
09-19-2014, 04:19 PM
Well one thing is certain. The league has gone from great (Rozelle) to good (Tagliabue) to rotten (Goodell).

Albany,n.y.
09-19-2014, 04:22 PM
Some guy named Benji from the Howard Stern show. Started screaming " don't put me in an elevator ! " .

What an a-hole.

Entering from the same door Goodell came through, Bronk casually strolled up to the podium where the commissioner was speaking about a half hour into the event. Wearing a cap and holding another cap in his hand, Bronk was immediately swarmed by about eight security guards and league executives.

"What are you doing? What are you doing?" he screamed as he was dragged out. "Don't take me to an elevator!" he yelled, mocking the video showing Baltimore Ravens running back Ray Rice punching his then-fiancee in a hotel elevator.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/howard-stern-show-writer-benjy-bronk-disrupts-nfl-roger-goodell-press-conference-article-1.1945978

YardRat
09-19-2014, 04:47 PM
They need a villain who's not a minority, otherwise the scandal will fizzle too quickly. Goodell fits the bill nicely. Rich? Check. White? Check. Lawyer? Check.

So what if the actual crime rate among NFL players is 13% of that in the rest of society. "Facts be damned! This is an epidemic! These three players are emblematic of the violent NFL lifestyle and proves that American football should be banned and replaced with Soccer!"

Goodell isn't a lawyer, he has a bachelor's in economics.

'Facts be damned', indeed.

swiper
09-19-2014, 04:51 PM
Goodell isn't a lawyer, he has a bachelor's in economics.

'Facts be damned', indeed.

Didn't know that. Thanks. Also didn't know he was from Jamestown and his mother was from Buffalo.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roger_Goodell

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/4/4e/Roger_Goodell_at_Super_Bowl_43.jpg/220px-Roger_Goodell_at_Super_Bowl_43.jpg http://espnmediazone.com/us/files/2009/10/Gruden_Jon_cropped.jpg

He looks way too much like John Gruden for me.