PDA

View Full Version : Start Orton Now

Buffalogic
09-21-2014, 02:03 PM
EJ needs to be benched until he shows anything that says he's a NFL caliber player.

Novacane
09-21-2014, 02:12 PM
The aren't going to.

coastal
09-21-2014, 02:13 PM
EJ is awful.

Crisis
09-21-2014, 02:14 PM
EJ is awful but Orton isn't that good either. This is like Losman vs Holcomb...

Buffalogic
09-21-2014, 02:16 PM
He may not be any better but we deserve an opportunity to have a break from this pathetic excuse for a quarterback.

coastal
09-21-2014, 02:20 PM
I've seen enough of EJ

Mr. Miyagi
09-21-2014, 02:20 PM
EJ needs to be benched until he shows anything that says he's a NFL caliber player.
You don't circle any wagon you just jump off them.

Novacane
09-21-2014, 02:21 PM
We are stuck with him this year. The only way Orton gets in is if EJ gets hurt.

don137
09-21-2014, 02:23 PM
EJ was horribly inaccurate today. With the game still not out of reach Marrone should of put in Orton with about 8 minutes left in fourth quarter. Instead he almost got Goodwin killed with another bad throw. The team (other than McKelvin and Gilmore) played their hearts out. Very deflating to the players and fans when you have an inept QB and the coach leaves him in there.

Buffalogic
09-21-2014, 02:23 PM
You don't circle any wagon you just jump off them.Defend EJ please I'd love to see what horse**** you come up with.

Novacane
09-21-2014, 02:26 PM
EJ was horribly inaccurate today. With the game still not out of reach Marrone should of put in Orton with about 8 minutes left in fourth quarter. Instead he almost got Goodwin killed with another bad throw. The team (other than McKelvin and Gilmore) played their hearts out. Very deflating to the players and fans when you have an inept QB and the coach leaves him in there.

The defense sucked too. That drive to start the 2nd was killer. The only reason SD didn't score more is because they went into a shell and just kept handing off and punting. They knew with EJ at QB there was no need to risk a TO.

WagonCircler
09-21-2014, 02:26 PM
Now is not soon enough.

Mr. Miyagi
09-21-2014, 02:29 PM
Defend EJ please I'd love to see what horse**** you come up with.
Nope EJ sucked today but you don't give up on a young QB the first time he plays badly. Where were you when we were winning last two weeks? Yup, on his bandwagon.

Blondie
09-21-2014, 02:30 PM
How cute .. there are 2 Wagon Circlers ..

i hope they don't have the same attitude!

Crisis
09-21-2014, 02:30 PM
Nope EJ sucked today but you don't give up on a young QB the first time he plays badly. Where were you when we were winning last two weeks? Yup, on his bandwagon.

First time? We watching the same QB?

WagonCircler
09-21-2014, 02:32 PM
http://youtu.be/hnpILIIo9ek

Typ0
09-21-2014, 02:32 PM
I agree Manual should be starting next week...but he should have been sat down today in the third quarter.

Buffalogic
09-21-2014, 02:33 PM
First time? Holy **** man open your eyes. You can not be serious!

paladin warrior
09-21-2014, 02:34 PM
Who is the Hell is QB coach. Can tell me what his name

Jeff1220
09-21-2014, 02:35 PM
EJ was the single biggest reason the Bills lost today. Penalties were #2

Downinfloflo
09-21-2014, 02:35 PM

Stop with that foolishness.

He has NEVER played good.

Mr. Miyagi
09-21-2014, 02:39 PM
First time? Holy **** man open your eyes. You can not be serious!
OK second time, counting the Bucs game last season. No way you give up on your first round QB in fewer than 16 games he plays. You develop the kid you can't give up on him.

Novacane
09-21-2014, 02:41 PM
OK second time, counting the Bucs game last season. No way you give up on your first round QB in fewer than 16 games he plays. You develop the kid you can't give up on him.

Steelers game last year was terrible. I agree though. Give him the rest of the year. If we don't see dramatic improvement in accuracy by the end of the season they need to make new plans next year

justasportsfan
09-21-2014, 02:45 PM
No. Ej had an aqwful game but he gets a chance to redeem himself.

Novacane
09-21-2014, 02:58 PM
*****ing about EJ is understandable! Calling for Orton is not!

EDS
09-21-2014, 02:59 PM
In EJ we trust!

BertSquirtgum
09-21-2014, 02:59 PM
The aren't going to.

They need to and if they don't they will be fired at the end of the year for their blatant incompetence.

Buffalogic
09-21-2014, 03:02 PM
They can bench him and still bring him back at a later time when he figures some things out in practice. The guy is not ready to start, let him watch Orton for a while.

TacklingDummy
09-21-2014, 03:04 PM
*****ing about EJ is understandable! Calling for Orton is not!
I don't want to see Orton but the high throws to the receivers from EJ is not safe.

coastal
09-21-2014, 03:04 PM
They can bench him and still bring him back at a later time when he figures some things out in practice. The guy is not ready to start, let him watch Orton for a while.
Couldn't agree more

BertSquirtgum
09-21-2014, 03:06 PM

Are you blind?

BertSquirtgum
09-21-2014, 03:09 PM
Who is the Hell is QB coach. Can tell me what his name

Todd Downing

starrymessenger
09-21-2014, 03:11 PM
They need to and if they don't they will be fired at the end of the year for their blatant incompetence.
They are in a bad spot.
Play EJ = no playoffs and you're fired.
Play Orton = you blew it with EJ and so you're fired.
Sort of like the Fitz dilemma all over again.

Mr. Cynical
09-21-2014, 03:13 PM
EJ is awful but Orton isn't that good either. This is like Losman vs Holcomb...

Sad but true. Still, I'd like to see it just to try.

WagonCircler
09-21-2014, 03:16 PM
They are in a bad spot.
Play EJ = no playoffs and you're fired.
Play Orton = you blew it with EJ and so you're fired.
Sort of like the Fitz dilemma all over again.

It's the price you pay for drafting a total reach, then making matters worse by spending next year's number one and this year's number one on a WR when you have a crappy QB.

They gambled, they lost. Now they pay.

BOBM253
09-21-2014, 03:17 PM
We are stuck with him this year. The only way Orton gets in is if EJ gets hurt.

I think you are right..........

starrymessenger
09-21-2014, 03:21 PM
It's the price you pay for drafting a total reach, then making matters worse by spending next year's number one and this year's number one on a WR when you have a crappy QB.

Putting all their chips on the EJ square was pretty foolhardy.
Its a shame really. This is a pretty talented team.
Have Buick. No motor.

The Natrix
09-21-2014, 03:22 PM
23/39 238 1 TD 0 INT

^ Good stat line example of why stats don't tell the whole story, especially for QBs. Not horrible numbers but if you watched the game, you would know that EJ was beyond horrible.

starrymessenger
09-21-2014, 03:23 PM
I think you are right..........

No. Couple more games like this and continuing to play him will be impossible. JMO.

Generalissimus Gibby
09-21-2014, 03:25 PM
One loss is not good enough and can be forgivable, still only one almost turnover and a few bad passes. I am still not convinced St. Kyle could have done better with this O Line.

Buffalogic
09-21-2014, 03:28 PM
^ this is just a ridiculous comment.

It's EJ fault. It always is. He's scared to throw the ball. The situation has to be perfect in his mind in order for him to throw a pass and when it is, he drills open receivers in the feet. He floats the ball 6 feet above his intended target. He had a million chances to make a play and he just couldn't. He must be benched.

paladin warrior
09-21-2014, 03:29 PM
Todd Downing Thank you

gr8slayer
09-21-2014, 03:31 PM
He's definitely playing like ****, but it's too early to give up on the guy. I still maintain that the Bills completely screwed up the entire process of growing a young QB.

Novacane
09-21-2014, 03:38 PM
He's definitely playing like ****, but it's too early to give up on the guy. I still maintain that the Bills completely screwed up the entire process of growing a young QB.

What do you think they should of done?

Generalissimus Gibby
09-21-2014, 03:47 PM
^ this is just a ridiculous comment.

It's EJ fault. It always is. He's scared to throw the ball. The situation has to be perfect in his mind in order for him to throw a pass and when it is, he drills open receivers in the feet. He floats the ball 6 feet above his intended target. He had a million chances to make a play and he just couldn't. He must be benched.

WagonCircler
09-21-2014, 03:50 PM
I still maintain that the Bills completely screwed up the entire process of growing a young QB.

The day they drafted him.

Novacane
09-21-2014, 04:01 PM
23/39 238 1 TD 0 INT

^ Good stat line example of why stats don't tell the whole story, especially for QBs. Not horrible numbers but if you watched the game, you would know that EJ was beyond horrible.

That's the discouraging thing. He could of had a huge game if he could of hit open receivers. The opportunities were there to take a big step forward and he didn't.

trapezeus
09-21-2014, 04:09 PM
Tb had their ass handed to them in Atlanta. Mccowen wasn't gonna be pulled unless hurt. He was an glen on came in. So in a game a lot closer in buffalo, to think orton is coming in is absurd. If that's what you were rooting for, you haven't watched a lot of football

ej needs to be more accurate. The bills also can't offset every play with yards with a penalty. A lot what was called should be called. We are aiming for 8-8. This team on average should get there.

JoeMama
09-21-2014, 04:19 PM
I was irate when we drafted EJ but like most homer NFL fans I'm willing to give a guy a chance, as implausible as the chances are.

EJ is a hopeless piece of trash. He probably wouldn't even make a CFL roster.

Orton ASAP.

Unlike EJ, he has a functioning brain and an arm that can put the football where he wants it to go.

gr8slayer
09-21-2014, 04:23 PM
He never should have had to start from day one. Kolb going down completely screwed up the entire process. I personally thought that he was a guy with a very high upside, but a guy who was not NFL ready from day one. He's a guy that would have really benefited greatly from sitting for a year or two.
What do you think they should of done?

Mr. Pink
09-21-2014, 04:24 PM
Orton will only see the field if EJ gets hurt or somehow the Bills end up 2-6 into the bye.

gr8slayer
09-21-2014, 04:24 PM
The day they drafted him.

There was nothing wrong with the pick, it made sense. It's the way they handled it after he was drafted that sucked.

JohnnyGold
09-21-2014, 04:33 PM
You guys are out of your minds.

Jeff1220
09-21-2014, 04:36 PM
If EJ completed half the incomplete passes that were horrendous throws, that's a different ballgame.

Buffalogic
09-21-2014, 04:39 PM
MST delusional EJ supporter. We know what we are going to get with EJ. He's going to be terrible and not score any points. Orton may do the same, but we can't get worse so let's see what he's got. EJ can ride the pine and try to get his **** together in the meantime. Even though, he probably won't.

TacklingDummy
09-21-2014, 04:41 PM
He's a guy that would have really benefited greatly from sitting for a year or two.

This is the new NFL, teams don't do that anymore, nor should they.

You learn by playing, not by holding a clipboard.

Do not bench EJ.

bleve
09-21-2014, 04:54 PM
I've been pretty quiet about the whole EJ thing. I'm pretty much like a normal fan in that I think he's not very good, but hey, it's early.

Well, I've come to the realization that he stinks, and whatever he needs to "get it" is going to take a while.

We've got a guy on the bench who's got NFL experience. There isn't another team that EJ would be starting on in the NFL, and I agree that unlikely any CFL team for that matter.

Get him off the field. It sucks watching my team with this guy out there.

gr8slayer
09-21-2014, 07:51 PM
Are you wrongly implying that every situation is exactly the same? If you watched the guy in college and have any scouting experience, it was paid fully obvious that he's ultra-talented, but was not NFL ready. If Kolb doesn't get hurt, Manuel doesn't play last year, whether you like it or not. By the way, Johnny Manziel says hi.
This is the new NFL, teams don't do that anymore, nor should they.

You learn by playing, not by holding a clipboard.

Do not bench EJ.

BertSquirtgum
09-21-2014, 08:55 PM

ahhh bull****. They need to give up on him if they want to win more than 6 games. He should have been sitting and learning from the beginning. I said if he plays right away the Bills will ruin him and it's turning out just that way. He needed to sit for a year, at least. Cousins sat for two years and he is tearing it up in Washington. Sitting and waiting until he is actually ready is the best thing for him and the team. They can still rectify their mistake but I fear they are too stubborn to admit it.

DynaPaul
09-21-2014, 09:00 PM

EJ's human and needs to be loved... Just like everybody else does.

Mace
09-21-2014, 09:20 PM
There was nothing wrong with the pick, it made sense. It's the way they handled it after he was drafted that sucked.

They had no vet to mentor him, they had no QB coach, they had a project QB, and they tried letting Boy Hackett mentor him without having an NFL clue to begin with, installing a fast paced quick read west coast offense Manuel was totally ill suited for. So now we have a bad QB coach, Boy Hackett and an overmatched incapable project QB with a last minute Orton looking for snaps to help him.

It's not going to work, whether or not it might have if different. Doesn't mean the season is done, but sort of means they dorked up developing their "franchise" QB unless you think this is a great way to develop a project QB, and I don't think anyone here is that lost.

RedEyE
09-21-2014, 09:31 PM

How exactly can Manuel do that from the bench?

He was horribly inaccurate today and extended plays that he shouldn't have, I agree. Should he be benched for a back-up old hack? No.

If the staff really wants to know what this kid is made of they have to give the reigns again next week verse Houston and see how he responds.

But it's way too early in the season to bench him.

Mace
09-21-2014, 09:35 PM

He was horribly inaccurate today and extended plays that he shouldn't have, I agree. Should he be benched for a back-up old hack? No.

If the staff really wants to know what this kid is made of they have to give the reigns again next week verse Houston and see how he responds.

Roll with Manuel to the bye, we are not a super bowl contender and they all live or die with him as they evidently intended.

RedEyE
09-21-2014, 09:48 PM
Roll with Manuel to the bye, we are not a super bowl contender and they all live or die with him as they evidently intended.

They certainly did. I guess what bothers me is a I see this team as a QB away from seriously excelling. But Manuel is the QB they choose and this is the QB this team will venture forward with until Manuel either catches on or fails miserably. While today was ugly for Manuel with a capital U G L Y, it's still too early to determine.

RedEyE
09-21-2014, 09:50 PM
Forgot to comment on your thought about sticking with him until the BYE. I'm not sure just yet. If he is progressing, but progressing slowly (maybe slower than most like), but the team is still not winning football games, I think you have to stick with EJ until he just ****s the bed or hits his ceiling. I don't know when that will be exactly.

Buffalogic
09-21-2014, 09:51 PM

I truly believe with Orton we would win the division. The guy is accurate at the very least. He can sustain drives and score touchdowns. Something EJ has proven he cannot do at this point.

Benching EJ doesn't mean it is over for him, but the team should be turned over to Orton so EJ can learn more than he knows now. EJ is completely overwhelmed. You can just see it. He's in over his head. It's only going to get worse if we keeping putting him out there. He's in danger of a finalizing embarrassment.

RedEyE
09-21-2014, 10:17 PM
I truly believe with Orton we would win the division. The guy is accurate at the very least. He can sustain drives and score touchdowns. Something EJ has proven he cannot do at this point.

Benching EJ doesn't mean it is over for him, but the team should be turned over to Orton so EJ can learn more than he knows now. EJ is completely overwhelmed. You can just see it. He's in over his head. It's only going to get worse if we keeping putting him out there. He's in danger of a finalizing embarrassment.

I honestly think it's too late man. If Manuel was going to be tutored it would have happened last year. That's why Leinart was brought in. Unfortunately we all know what happened there. Manuel and Thad last season - injuries and all. Orton came in to this way too late. Benching Manuel after handing him the job through preseason could have several repercussions. More specifically, I would like to know if this kid can or cannot play at this level. Because if he can't, the Bills need to hit the draft next year. Benching him at this point just delays the process.

Buffalogic
09-21-2014, 10:24 PM
^ It has worked in the past ala Brees. I just think if they leave him in there he's only going to get worse and if that happens this whole administration is unsalvageable.

TheBrownBear
09-21-2014, 11:14 PM
You play the guy who gives you the best chance to win now. Last year we had no alternative to Manuel, but we've invested 10 million in an actual professional experienced NFL quarterback. He needs to see the field until EJ is the better option. But I expect Marrone to go all in on EJ and he and his staff will be riding the Manuel train right out of town by 2015 at the latest.

WagonCircler
09-22-2014, 12:04 AM
^ It has worked in the past ala Brees. I just think if they leave him in there he's only going to get worse and if that happens this whole administration is unsalvageable.

EJ will never, ever, ever be Drew Brees.

- - - Updated - - -

EJ's human and needs to be loved... Just like everybody else does.

He can be loved in the CFL.

Skooby
09-22-2014, 02:59 AM
How is Orton practicing, does he have a decent handle on the system ?

RedEyE
09-22-2014, 03:52 AM
I honestly think it's too late man. If Manuel was going to be tutored it would have happened last year. That's why *Leinart was brought in. Unfortunately we all know what happened there. Manuel and Thad last season - injuries and all. Orton came in to this way too late. Benching Manuel after handing him the job through preseason could have several repercussions. More specifically, I would like to know if this kid can or cannot play at this level. Because if he can't, the Bills need to hit the draft next year. Benching him at this point just delays the process.

*Should be Kolb not Leinart

swiper
09-22-2014, 04:12 AM

You know I liked Nix when he was here as GM. But this QB mess is fully his fault for his lack of drafting someone during his time higher than the 5th round.

Fletch
09-22-2014, 06:54 AM

All he needs to do it hit Watkins I heard. If he can do that then Watkins can average 15 yac.

At least that's what I've been told.

trapezeus
09-22-2014, 08:07 AM
the guys calling for orton, have you guys gone to the games and watched his warm up? have you watched the numebr of years he's played? he's not someone the team is going to build around. He isn't very good.

i would rather see manuel sink this year and know we should move on than to go 8-8, miss the playoffs, and then have people say, "oh manual didn't play, let's see what he has."

additionally, EJ wasn't accurate, but the bills were still in that game. they make that 4th down pass to watkins who was open, the bills continue to gain momentum and are on a scoring drive.

it wasn't EJ's finest day. His inaccuracy really showed his limitation. he also needs to make a decision faster and go with it than continuously trying to roll out. that being said, 1 bad game isn't worth putting it all on him.

the DBs had been against giving up big plays up until this game and routinely gave up big plays on legal picks. and the DC had no solution to that early in the game. that was a problem. ST didn't do anything amazing either. And fred looked like the more sure handed RB and only got a handful of touches.

it has been team wins through week2 and it was mostly a team loss in week 3.

justasportsfan
09-22-2014, 08:15 AM
Watching Rivers vs. EJ was just painful to watch.

EJ was not even half the qb Rivers is and if EJ grows to half of what Rivers is, it's not enough.

Historian
09-22-2014, 08:25 AM

I agree, Redeye...it's only been three game in. (Three that count anyways)

Trouble is, when he's bad, he's real bad...like Todd Collins bad.

What bothers me is, he does not seem to have much football acumen:

He cannot feel where the pressure is coming from.
He slides when he should dive, and dives when he should slide.
His passes are way too high, even the completions.
In his post game pressers, he usually states that he played "really well". (Huh???)

Do these things come with experience? Yes, usually...but after 14 years of suck, (as well as a clown car parade of starting QBs since Kelly) fans of this team are
not patient. Nor should they be.

A lot is resting on his shoulders, and he needs to play better.

He needs to hit that wide open receiver over the middle on the post pattern.

That being said...benching him now with a winning record is just plain silly.

That's 14 years of frustration talking....not sound football decision making.

It's unfortunate that the last 14 years hang around this guy's neck, but the reality of the situation, is that it does.

Fletch
09-22-2014, 08:40 AM
the guys calling for orton, have you guys gone to the games and watched his warm up? have you watched the numebr of years he's played? he's not someone the team is going to build around. He isn't very good.

i would rather see manuel sink this year and know we should move on than to go 8-8, miss the playoffs, and then have people say, "oh manual didn't play, let's see what he has."

One of the more sensible things I've seen from you.

But, if the team wants to do better now, then Orton will win us more games. Manuel is going to win us none.

I share your perspective, but not everyone does. Some here would rather go 8-8 with Orton even though he's not a long term option, than go 4-12 with EJ. Either way we're not going to the playoffs so I agree with you.

We're not going to have another game this season as easy as the Miami game was at home for the opener. Miami sucks and the energy will be unmatched any other game this season.

As to Chicago, if we have two more opponents that show up like Cutler did let's consider ourselves to be fortunate. Remember, even amidst Cutler's poor play, if the D doesn't give our offense the ball at Chicago's 7 yardline we're looking at 1-2 right now with only a win over Maimi.

trapezeus
09-22-2014, 08:52 AM
let's remember that the AFC east looks pretty winnable without having to be a superstar team. new england almost lost at home to oakland.

remember the defense is a bend but don't break d and turnovers and limiting big plays are its key. it did neither this week. that being said, the bills were still in this game. Also remember that big plays be d aren't gifts from the offense, it's because they are playing well.

lets remember the bills are a run first team and manual in year 2 isn't supposed to be throwing the ball 40 times in a game.

let's also remember that on 4th down, if ej and watkins are on the same page, the bills are very much in this game. they were gaining momentum in the 3rd quarter. that play was the end of the game.

Buffalogic
09-22-2014, 10:04 AM

additionally, EJ wasn't accurate, but the bills were still in that game. they make that 4th down pass to watkins who was open, the bills continue to gain momentum and are on a scoring drive.

it wasn't EJ's finest day. His inaccuracy really showed his limitation. he also needs to make a decision faster and go with it than continuously trying to roll out. that being said, 1 bad game isn't worth putting it all on him.

the DBs had been against giving up big plays up until this game and routinely gave up big plays on legal picks. and the DC had no solution to that early in the game. that was a problem. ST didn't do anything amazing either. And fred looked like the more sure handed RB and only got a handful of touches.

This is such a cop out and I hate it. EJ Manuel personally killed drives with his inaccuracies over and over again. You play the if game on 4th down, but he had already had a game's worth of chances and he couldn't get it done.

Orton has had 2 seasons in his career where he threw just shy of 4,000 yards and had over 20 TD's and under 10 Int's. EJ will never, I repeat, will never have a season close to that. Just not going to happen. All we need our QB to do is make the occassional play and not drive the team straight into the ground. Orton has proven he could do that in the past. EJ has proven he sucks.

We don't need a superstar at QB for this team to be good. We aren't that far away. We win the division and make the playoffs with Orton starting. There's no doubt in my mind.

JoeMama
09-22-2014, 10:06 AM
I agree, Redeye...it's only been three game in. (Three that count anyways)

Trouble is, when he's bad, he's real bad...like Todd Collins bad.

What bothers me is, he does not seem to have much football acumen:

He cannot feel where the pressure is coming from.
He slides when he should dive, and dives when he should slide.
His passes are way too high, even the completions.
In his post game pressers, he usually states that he played "really well". (Huh???)

Do these things come with experience? Yes, usually...but after 14 years of suck, (as well as a clown car parade of starting QBs since Kelly) fans of this team are
not patient. Nor should they be.

A lot is resting on his shoulders, and he needs to play better.

He needs to hit that wide open receiver over the middle on the post pattern.

That being said...benching him now with a winning record is just plain silly.

That's 14 years of frustration talking....not sound football decision making.

It's unfortunate that the last 14 years hang around this guy's neck, but the reality of the situation, is that it does.

Hey to be fair, Todd Collins was awesome... for one season in Washington... after riding the pine for 15 straight years.

EJ wishes he could be that good.

Woodman
09-22-2014, 10:51 AM
It looks like EJ is gonna get these guys killed.

I would have to take a look at Orton myself.

Will the Bills, probably not.

gr8slayer
09-22-2014, 10:58 AM
ahhh bull****. They need to give up on him if they want to win more than 6 games. He should have been sitting and learning from the beginning. I said if he plays right away the Bills will ruin him and it's turning out just that way. He needed to sit for a year, at least. Cousins sat for two years and he is tearing it up in Washington. Sitting and waiting until he is actually ready is the best thing for him and the team. They can still rectify their mistake but I fear they are too stubborn to admit it.
I honestly don't know that he can be fixed at this point. He's a guy that doesn't have a lot of confidence to begin with, having to start from day one has completely ruined what was there. He's a guy that's playing with zero confidence in his abilities right now, and it's too bad, because the guy has as high a ceiling (physically) as anyone out there.

gr8slayer
09-22-2014, 11:00 AM
They had no vet to mentor him, they had no QB coach, they had a project QB, and they tried letting Boy Hackett mentor him without having an NFL clue to begin with, installing a fast paced quick read west coast offense Manuel was totally ill suited for. So now we have a bad QB coach, Boy Hackett and an overmatched incapable project QB with a last minute Orton looking for snaps to help him.

It's not going to work, whether or not it might have if different. Doesn't mean the season is done, but sort of means they dorked up developing their "franchise" QB unless you think this is a great way to develop a project QB, and I don't think anyone here is that lost.That's the whole problem, they DID have a veteran for him to sit behind and learn from, but he got hurt before week one, and it just went down hill from there. Kevin Kolb going down was the absolute worst case scenario for Manuel and his career. The Bills didn't have a plan in place should Kolb go down, and what we're seeing today is the result.

gr8slayer
09-22-2014, 11:01 AM
You play the guy who gives you the best chance to win now. Last year we had no alternative to Manuel, but we've invested 10 million in an actual professional experienced NFL quarterback. He needs to see the field until EJ is the better option. But I expect Marrone to go all in on EJ and he and his staff will be riding the Manuel train right out of town by 2015 at the latest.How can you be sure that it's Marrone's call?

trapezeus
09-22-2014, 11:21 AM
i think our QB position is what it is. orton isn't going to make it better. he's going to be a.500 qb as well. he retired for a month without a team sniffing at him. he's not an answer. i get that it's fun to look at the backup on a bad starter day.

but this season isn't a superbowl season. it's a young team getting better season. i think they can challenge for the division since the division looks fairly weak. especially if chicago wins tonight. to do that, they don't need an allstar qb, they need an efficient one.

I think we all kind of have a feel for EJ, but he needs to play about 20 games to really know how he is projecting. and if he's in the wheelhouse of average, you kind of have to see him play another 4-6 games and see if he's still sometimes ok and sometimes bad or he's steadily improving. if he's improving, the bills should give him a third season to define himself. if he is still good at times and bad at times, they need to seriously look at another drafted qb and give EJ a very short rope next season. like 4 games to define himself and let a rookie learn. then swap out if needed.

i am not hopeful on EJ, but i don't think he's shown us anything to bench him for and he hasn't shown us anything to annoint him the new kelly. if he stays healthy, then by the Miami game, we'll see his W/L, his completion % and his average yards per game. and if they aren't trending upward, chances are he's not our long term solution.

and i said at the beginning of the season, i think EJ is going to have very pedesrian stats that make it hard to know ifyou should stick with him or move from him. he seems to be projecting that way thus far.

Buffalogic
09-22-2014, 11:21 AM
The front office has to know they are toast if they don't get off the sinking ship. They have a lot more incentive to bring the backup in than most other teams. And Orton isn't a dinosaur. He will be 32 next month. If he plays and takes us to the playoffs we really don't need an immediate replacement for him.

-Let Orton start now. If we make the playoffs this year, let him start in 2015.
-Draft best QB prospect in the 2nd round in the upcoming draft.
-Allow him to sit behind Orton for as long as Orton has us winning.
-Keep Orton as the backup in 2016 and beyond whhen the new guy is ready to start.

Buffalogic
09-22-2014, 11:25 AM
i think our QB position is what it is. orton isn't going to make it better. he's going to be a.500 qb as well. he retired for a month without a team sniffing at him. he's not an answer. i get that it's fun to look at the backup on a bad starter day.

but this season isn't a superbowl season. it's a young team getting better season. i think they can challenge for the division since the division looks fairly weak. especially if chicago wins tonight. to do that, they don't need an allstar qb, they need an efficient one.

I think we all kind of have a feel for EJ, but he needs to play about 20 games to really know how he is projecting. and if he's in the wheelhouse of average, you kind of have to see him play another 4-6 games and see if he's still sometimes ok and sometimes bad or he's steadily improving. if he's improving, the bills should give him a third season to define himself. if he is still good at times and bad at times, they need to seriously look at another drafted qb and give EJ a very short rope next season. like 4 games to define himself and let a rookie learn. then swap out if needed.

i am not hopeful on EJ, but i don't think he's shown us anything to bench him for and he hasn't shown us anything to annoint him the new kelly. if he stays healthy, then by the Miami game, we'll see his W/L, his completion % and his average yards per game. and if they aren't trending upward, chances are he's not our long term solution.

and i said at the beginning of the season, i think EJ is going to have very pedesrian stats that make it hard to know ifyou should stick with him or move from him. he seems to be projecting that way thus far.Anybody not named EJ Manuel is an improvement. What you said is false. Orton would be better. Arizona's backup would be better. You underestimate how bad EJ is and you underestimate how good Orton has played at times in the past.

We just need someone who can hit an open receiver. Orton can, EJ can't. EJ isn't going to learn accuracy. It's that simple.

swiper
09-22-2014, 11:33 AM
This just kills me:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/09/22/nfl-morning-after-even-in-defeat-cousins-was-sundays-star/

I wanted the Bills to draft both Cousins and Foles in the worst way. Now we have to come here everyday and listen to the bevy of hostile EJ lovers that reside here trying to tell us that we "have to wait more." Idiots one and all.

trapezeus
09-22-2014, 11:39 AM
Anybody not named EJ Manuel is an improvement. What you said is false. Orton would be better. Arizona's backup would be better. You underestimate how bad EJ is and you underestimate how good Orton has played at times in the past.

We just need someone who can hit an open receiver. Orton can, EJ can't. EJ isn't going to learn accuracy. It's that simple.
tell me which one is EJ and which one is Orton

1. 58.5% completion rating, average 6.63 yards a pass. 1.05x TD to INT/Fumble ratio, 79.9 QB rating
2. 59.8% completion rating, average 6.58 yards a pass. 1 to 1 TD to turnover ratio, 80.6 QB rating.

Which one is hands down the better QB? and which one has almost 10 years of experience and 75 games played vs a player who has played 13?

my defense of ej isn't that he's going to eb a stud, but this team has a lot of working pieces for it. if it wants to win it all, you have to find out if the guy you drafted is worth it and give another guy who has a chance to be a long-term answer. if we hedge this season with orton, we will waste another season on a guy who might not be the guy.

take your lumps now and hope that it comes together. and if it doesn't, we move forward with QB being a priority in the draft.

Buffalogic
09-22-2014, 11:57 AM
I don't care about your stat lines. They don't mean anything. Orton has performed at a pro bowl, EJ never will.

Orton has done something in this league and EJ hasn't, no amount of manipulated stats is going to change that.

Historian
09-22-2014, 11:59 AM
Everybody is bringing good points to the table here....so I have one question:

Do you think they're doing the same thing at One Bills Drive, (gaming out possible scenarios, etc) or is it business as usual?

Fletch
09-22-2014, 12:03 PM
i think our QB position is what it is. orton isn't going to make it better. he's going to be a.500 qb as well.

Who says that EJ's a .500 QB? So far he's 6-7. In six more games he'll be well below .500.

Buffalogic
09-22-2014, 12:08 PM

Do you think they're doing the same thing at One Bills Drive, (gaming out possible scenarios, etc) or is it business as usual?Yes. I think the bakeup plan was put in place during the Orton/Marrone/Whaley blow up. Now they are probably going back and forth on whether to initiate that plan or they are installing a deadline day for that to commence if EJ continues on this road (which we know as fans he will).

trapezeus
09-22-2014, 12:25 PM
I don't care about your stat lines. They don't mean anything. Orton has performed at a pro bowl, EJ never will.

Orton has done something in this league and EJ hasn't, no amount of manipulated stats is going to change that.

are you kidding. over a 10 year career, the average stats are pretty telling. orton has had some good games. but he isn't what we are going to build around. and if we need a new qb, i don't want orton, i want a real qb.

i also will have no respect for this coaching staff if they think that a 2-1 record says abandon ship. this is their project to fix and get right. if they can't do it, or not evaluate it right at the get go, they shouldnt be around.

RedEyE
09-22-2014, 01:00 PM

Do you think they're doing the same thing at One Bills Drive, (gaming out possible scenarios, etc) or is it business as usual?

Man, I'd like to think so. Truth of the matter is I have think the Bills back-up plan involves this coming off season. Orton would be nothing more than a band aid. The best thing that can happen for the Bills nation is for EJ to wake uo Sunday morning and it all just suddenly clicks in place. He has the athleticism and the talent, he just needs to get that **** fixed inside that pig skin firmly planted on his shoulders.

feldspar
09-22-2014, 01:03 PM
I honestly think that Orton gives us a better chance to win right now. This reflects more on EJ than Orton.

I don't think Manuel is franchise QB material, but I guess they want to try to develop him into that.

Either way, all we can do is watch and hope for the best each week. I do think the Bills will beat the Texans, although I would not literally bet on that.

It's a tough situation because if we win no matter how EJ plays, we're liable to stick with him. Although, if he's not the answer, it's best to have all the reasons why it's time to cut the cord as soon as possible. Obviously, this is EJ's make or break year. He'd better have a thick skin when he's in there, though.

Buffalogic
09-22-2014, 03:13 PM
are you kidding. over a 10 year career, the average stats are pretty telling. orton has had some good games. but he isn't what we are going to build around. and if we need a new qb, i don't want orton, i want a real qb.

i also will have no respect for this coaching staff if they think that a 2-1 record says abandon ship. this is their project to fix and get right. if they can't do it, or not evaluate it right at the get go, they shouldnt be around.
Why do we have to build around him? He's our best option now and if we can win with him then why not? We can't build around a young guy that clearly sucks either. May as well win given the chance.

Nothing this coaching staff has done to this point garners any type of respect anyways. The team could be better than it is and I don't respect anything that gets no results and is too stubborn to play their best players.

Buffalogic
09-28-2014, 01:38 PM
So what's up guys we ready for Orton or what?

Famous Amos
09-28-2014, 01:41 PM
Bench EJ- send a message that interception was Tuel-esque

EDS
09-28-2014, 03:01 PM
While his performance was, to put it mildly, underwhelming today, I would still stick with EJ next week.

coastal
09-28-2014, 03:02 PM
While his performance was, to put it mildly, underwhelming today, I would still stick with EJ next week.
I wear a helmet when I go to the grocery store too.

chris66
09-28-2014, 03:03 PM
If you start orton then EJ's career in Blo is pretty much done. he wont be able to come back from that

Crisis
09-28-2014, 03:03 PM
If you start orton then EJ's career in Blo is pretty much done. he wont be able to come back from that

is that a bad thing? he just doesnt have it

EDS
09-28-2014, 03:07 PM
I wear a helmet when I go to the grocery store too.

I have remained a Bills fan through the past decade plus, so if that is all that is wrong with me I think I think I have made out ok!

BertSquirtgum
09-28-2014, 03:11 PM

What's your reasoning?

- - - Updated - - -

Good

Buffalogic
09-28-2014, 03:14 PM
This is the best team we have had in 10 years people and there is one guy threatening to hijack it and ruin everything. The bills need to bench EJ he's a detriment to the team you can't piss off the other 52 dudes by coddling a guy who clearly sucks.

EDS
09-28-2014, 03:16 PM
What's your reasoning?

- - - Updated - - -

Good

I want to give Pegula sufficient information so he can clean house with impunity.

RedEyE
09-28-2014, 03:41 PM
Start him. EJ is the reason this team is losing football games. The worse thing that happens is Orten sucks too. If Marrone doesn't do something he is going to lose this team and his career.

JoeMama
09-28-2014, 03:44 PM
It's infuriating to see fantastic defensive performances pissed down the drain because of ONE player.

EJ is the only thing standing between the Bills and success.

WagonCircler
09-28-2014, 04:34 PM
This is the best team we have had in 10 years people and there is one guy threatening to hijack it and ruin everything. The bills need to bench EJ he's a detriment to the team you can't piss off the other 52 dudes by coddling a guy who clearly sucks.

I like the new handle.

WagonCircler
09-28-2014, 04:35 PM

If he's that mentally weak, then he's not a real NFL QB.

Buffalogic
09-28-2014, 06:24 PM
I like the new handle.Thanks! Now it won't be so confusing for everyone else.

POTLAND PSILBYLO
09-28-2014, 07:19 PM
It's infuriating to see fantastic defensive performances pissed down the drain because of ONE player.

EJ is the only thing standing between the Bills and success.

Indeed - defense looked great in all 4 games. Can easily be 4-0 with a mediocre QB.

Buffalogic
09-28-2014, 09:14 PM
Even at 2-2 we can still win the division with this team if Orton starts. It just devastates to know that if we are down by a mere 3 points we can't come back and win with EJ at the helm.

Mr. Cynical
09-29-2014, 12:12 AM
So what's up guys we ready for Orton or what?

Yup. Let ej be pensive for the rest of the year.

stuckincincy
09-29-2014, 03:53 AM
Start him. EJ is the reason this team is losing football games. The worse thing that happens is Orten sucks too. If Marrone doesn't do something he is going to lose this team and his career.

May as well.

Manuel tossed 27 passes to the wrs, who hauled in 9. You wouldn't think such was possible. :shocked:

YardRat
09-29-2014, 05:19 AM
Depends on if he lost the locker room, and if Marrone thinks this team is ready to win now, and both may be true at this point. Considering the circumstances of the first four weeks of the season, it's hard to ignore that both San Diego and Houston were very winnable games, and quarterback may be the only position one can point to as playing consistently poorly in the two losses. Saying 'it was his worst game since Pittsburgh or Tampa last year' is one thing...saying 'it was his worst game since, ummm, last week' is entirely another.

JoeMama
09-29-2014, 05:33 AM
So long as Doug Marrone isn't a complete fool and at least has the IQ the gods saw fit to give a toad, he'll bench EJ at some point during the Lions game and let Orton take a stab at turning this thing around. EJ's regressing with his accuracy and seems to be making more and more mental mistakes. He's clearly not "learning" anything so why continue with this grotesque charade at the rest of the team's expense?

We have the D. We have the WRs (who granted, did have some drops). We have the RBs. What we need is somebody who's accurate enough to convert some third downs and keep the chains moving.

I stand by the notion that this is a good football team. All it needs is some stability at QB.

We can't afford this experimental folly with EJ at the expense of all the other players who are working their asses off to keep us competitive. If EJ were making progress, that would be one thing. But he's not.

TacklingDummy
09-29-2014, 05:40 AM
Keep playing EJ.
Orton sucks.
EJ is the future.

Discotrish
09-29-2014, 06:34 AM

Passing is not his thing. That has been apparent. Don't confuse the Bills' bandwagon with his.

Patti

Buffalogic
09-29-2014, 10:02 AM
Keep playing EJ.
Orton sucks.
EJ is the future.
He's the future of the Publix deli section, not the Buffalo Bills. Bench him. Forever.

Buffalogic
09-29-2014, 03:15 PM
I win. Listen to me I am a visionary.

Famous Amos
09-29-2014, 04:07 PM
Not that I'm being dismissive of this move, but it reeks of desperation. It's their own damn fault they put themselves in this situation to begin with. EJ may be better off sitting and watching and working on his footwork and ball placement in practice. Meanwhile, we have four wide receivers that just breathed a big breathe of relief.

Manuel was given all the weapons (minus a decent tight end) to succeed and was proven he just didn't have IT. This was his year. He couldn't make it happen. No excuses.

Buffalogic
09-29-2014, 05:01 PM
And for those who keep bashing Whaley. Whaley wasn't committed at all costs to EJ, Marrone was. Whaley is a good GM, I can't say that Marrone is a good coach. Wouldn't be surprised if the FO told Marrone to play Orton or look for another job.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/09/29/bills-bench-e-j-manuel-go-with-kyle-orton-at-qb/

Buffalogic
10-19-2014, 05:03 PM
Orton continues to win in epic fashion despite sub-par play calling. Sammy Watkins is open every play and that is why you trade up for a true, elite talent. You can't let your qb hold back the development of your young talented receivers.

If we make the playoffs Orton is a lock for comeback player of the year.