PDA

View Full Version : 3rd and 1

djjimkelly
09-22-2014, 09:48 AM
ive allowed almost a day to post this.

yes the D gave up 6 big plays. yes EJ didnt play perfect.

however i put this loss on playcalling i wont go over all the plays that had me scratching my head except for one.

3rd and 1 at SD 41 (8:50) (Shotgun) C.Spiller up the middle to SD 43 for -2 yards (D.Butler, K.Reyes).
Timeout #1 by SD at 08:27.

just ****ing horrific!!!!!

if you want one yard and the whole world knows it. shotgun draw on 3rd and 1 is simply a joke the game was over on this play

IlluminatusUIUC
09-22-2014, 09:51 AM
Funny enough, Clemson University failed twice doing the exact same thing Saturday night against FSU. You'd either our Clemson HB or FSU QB would have watched that game and suggested a different play.

trapezeus
09-22-2014, 09:52 AM
for a run oriented team, they don't run well on 3rd down. and they tend to run plain vanilla. it would have been nice to just go big and get it. and maybe put it in dixon's hands. the guy can push the line.

GreedoII
09-22-2014, 10:07 AM
This call was annoying. At least give yourself the chance to get that yd twice rather than get into a hole at 4th and long. Hurry up to the line and fall forward! That's it!! do it twice if you have too!! Also throwing deep down the sidelines on 3rd and 6 or 9 I believe? Stupid ass call too. get the 1st down. SD is milking the clock like a farmer and his cow!! Realize the situation!!

OpIv37
09-22-2014, 10:19 AM
I hate seeing Spiller in the backfield on third and short. He's too small to push the pile and the other team knows he's not going to try to bounce it outside in that situation, so they just push the line back and crowd the point of attack and stuff him every time.

We either need to get creative on third and short with Spiller, or put Jackson in for a downhill power run. But trying to power run with Spiller makes about as much sense as splitting Kyle Williams out wide and having him run a fly route.

elltrain22
09-22-2014, 10:28 AM
I remember that play. Big play, and we why we didn't use Boobie or Fred there was beyond me.

CoolBreeze
09-22-2014, 10:33 AM
We have a very big and tall QB. Why we never use a QB sneak when we have a yard or less to go is beyond me.

IlluminatusUIUC
09-22-2014, 10:40 AM
We have a very big and tall QB. Why we never use a QB sneak when we have a yard or less to go is beyond me.

Yes, Manuel is a 240lb battletank at QB, he should be able to pick up a yard.

The Natrix
09-22-2014, 10:45 AM
I was screaming at the TV before they even snapped it. Every player on the D knew what they were going to do.

Spiller up the middle with no lead blocker. Brilliant.

sukie
09-22-2014, 10:47 AM
at 3rd and 1 there shouldn't be anything cute. Power formation... telegraph to the opponent that we are going to run up the middle and get a first down... then execute it. Smash mouth goddamnit!

Woodman
09-22-2014, 10:54 AM
time for play action and hit your TE.

ghz in pittsburgh
09-22-2014, 10:55 AM
I just posted in another thread on this play. Too mbad old man Jackson needed a blow and came off the field by himself. But not having Dixon in there is just stupid.

There are several notable points in the game but two critical moments (to me) top all: the big penalty on McKelvin right after the Bills TD drive which was so deflating and that 3rd and 1 play.

HHURRICANE
09-22-2014, 11:05 AM

however i put this loss on playcalling i wont go over all the plays that had me scratching my head except for one.

3rd and 1 at SD 41 (8:50) (Shotgun) C.Spiller up the middle to SD 43 for -2 yards (D.Butler, K.Reyes).

if you want one yard and the whole world knows it. shotgun draw on 3rd and 1 is simply a joke the game was over on this play

Absolute best thread of the day!!

There is way too much talent on this team to be this inept on offense.

1) When will we figure out that CJ is not a power back. How many times does he need to get stuffed running up the middle. It's laughable.

2) Williams?!?! Where the heck is he? The only reason i knew he was on the field was his red socks!!

3) Don't we have the fastest WR in the NFL? He went to the Olympics! I think the Chargers figured out that Sammy Watkins was going to be looked at alot. Uhhh we have 3 other receivers.

4) We are carrying 4 RBs. We traded for one that never gets activated and I'm sure Anthony Dixon can run up the gut better than Spiller.

Ridiculous play calling, penalties, mis-communication between receiver and QB. I could go on but the truth is that our OC sucks. period, end of story.

I'm not saying that EJ "float every pass" Manuel doesn't deserve some criticism but this is entirely on the OC right now.

justasportsfan
09-22-2014, 11:09 AM
Absolute best thread of the day!!

There is way too much talent on this team to be this inept on offense.

1) When will we figure out that CJ is not a power back. How many times does he need to get stuffed running up the middle. It's laughable.

2) Williams?!?! Where the heck is he? The only reason i knew he was on the field was his red socks!!

3) Don't we have the fastest WR in the NFL? He went to the Olympics! I think the Chargers figured out that Sammy Watkins was going to be looked at alot. Uhhh we have 3 other receivers.

4) We are carrying 4 RBs. We traded for one that never gets activated and I'm sure Anthony Dixon can run up the gut better than Spiller.

Ridiculous play calling, penalties, mis-communication between receiver and QB. I could go on but the truth is that our OC sucks. period, end of story.

I'm not saying that EJ "float every pass" Manuel doesn't deserve some criticism but this is entirely on the OC right now.
there were plenty of OPEN wide receivers all day. Its not the OC's fault EJ couldn't find them or hit them accurately.

Mahdi
09-22-2014, 11:20 AM
My Biggest problem with this offense is the lack of easy throws to put EJ in rythem.

Where are the screens? We had only 1 yesterday to Spiller and it worked. We should be running 5-7 different kinds of screens every game.

Where is the quick throw to the WR on the LoS that Brady does to us about 5 times every time we play the Pats? All our WRs have major YAC ability so why not just whip one or ten of those throws out to them and let them run for easy yards?

Where is the play-action off our run game? How about getting Watkins and Chandler involved over the intermediate middle after a playaction fake?

Can we use less of the stupid option because its not faking anyone....?

Can we use more rollouts with playaction?

HHURRICANE
09-22-2014, 11:24 AM
there were plenty of OPEN wide receivers all day. Its not the OC's fault EJ couldn't find them or hit them accurately.

Did you read my post or just decide to re-post your frustration with EJ. I said EJ deserves critcism.

However EJ isn't the one that sets Spiller in the shotgun on 3rd and 1.

justasportsfan
09-22-2014, 11:47 AM
Did you read my post or just decide to re-post your frustration with EJ. I said EJ deserves critcism.

I read your posts and this is what gets me.

However EJ isn't the one that sets Spiller in the shotgun on 3rd and 1.

you can't use one play to determine the OC sucks (period) when there are 2 other prior games that show Hackett called a very good game. EJ was more at fault the entire game than just that one run play you mentioned.

3-1-SD 41 (8:50) (Shotgun) 28-C.Spiller up the middle to SD 43 for -2 yards (56-D.Butler, 91-K.Reyes).

HAckett screwed that call but on the very next play....

4-3-SD 43 (8:27) (Shotgun) 3-E.Manuel pass incomplete short middle to 14-S.Watkins.

HAckett called a very good play. They showed the reply and 3 wrs were open EJ screwed it up.

Fletch
09-22-2014, 11:53 AM

Spiller's not a good 3rd-down RB. Never has been.

He's great when he gets the ball and there aren't any defenders for 10 yards in any direction. Unlike other players. I guess that's when he really performs, at least that's what we're told.

If you can't get 1 yard on 3rd down regularly like we can't seem to be able to do, then you need to rethink how good you think you are.

feldspar
09-22-2014, 12:52 PM
I remember that play. Big play, and we why we didn't use Boobie or Fred there was beyond me.

Looked to me like Freddie got banged up on the previous play and had to come out of the game for a bit.

I did not like Spiller up the middle on that play either...must be the same one we are talking about here.

BertSquirtgum
09-22-2014, 01:01 PM

Did you just realize that Hackett way out of his league and has no business running an offense other than a high school offense? He's a bigger problem than EJ. I want to say that Marrone is just as big of a problem for allowing his offensive coordinator to suck balls.

RedEyE
09-22-2014, 01:05 PM
Agreed, CJ is not a hard nosed short yardage back. Fred Jackson was hurt the play prior and asked to come off the field. I didn't see Summers or Dixon all day. Seems to me either one ofthose guys would have been the better choice.

Meathead
09-22-2014, 01:33 PM
This call was annoying. At least give yourself the chance to get that yd twice rather than get into a hole at 4th and long. Hurry up to the line and fall forward! That's it!! do it twice if you have too!!

i called for a sneak on that play too. do it twice if you have to

malvado78
09-22-2014, 02:15 PM
i called for a sneak on that play too. do it twice if you have to

What? and risk your star QB!!!! oh wait...

paladin warrior
09-22-2014, 02:16 PM
And don't forget about 4 down and 1 . Failed. Why Doug M won't let kick FG 47 yard in 3rd QRT in 6 min 10-20. If FG made it will be 13-2o in the 3rd QRT and still have plenty time !!!

Skooby
09-22-2014, 02:27 PM
Hackett telegraphed that play big time.

BuffaloRedleg
09-22-2014, 02:37 PM
You are supposed to have a big mobile QB. Fake the hand-off, roll the QB and let him get it. We clearly do not have the O Line that can overpower the other team at this point, so stop pretending this is a smashmouth running team.

sudzy
09-22-2014, 03:14 PM
I hate seeing Spiller in the backfield on third and short. He's too small to push the pile and the other team knows he's not going to try to bounce it outside in that situation, so they just push the line back and crowd the point of attack and stuff him every time.

We either need to get creative on third and short with Spiller, or put Jackson in for a downhill power run. But trying to power run with Spiller makes about as much sense as splitting Kyle Williams out wide and having him run a fly route.

After watching Freddy go beast mode for the TD. Then I see CJ lining up on a 3rd and 1 on the biggest drive of the game. WTF are they thinking?

BertSquirtgum
09-22-2014, 03:33 PM
It was probably CJ's turn. Just like idiot Chan Gailey said a few years ago. Marrone admitted to rotating cornerbacks as to whose turn it was. Which is one of the dumbest things I've ever heard a coach say. Why the **** wouldn't you just have the best player in the game at that time for that situation, I don't know. It just cements my belief that Marrone is a junk coach and should have never been hired.

Fletch
09-22-2014, 03:34 PM

That's a common misperception about Spiller.

Actually, if you look at his splits for last season his best running was up the middle.

He stinks on 3rd downs generally, not just up the middle though. He's a 2-down role playing RB, I don't know why everyone keeps expecting more than that from him. He won't deliver.

BOBM253
09-22-2014, 07:03 PM
We do that same play over 90 percent of the time on first down with the same result. Talk about insanity.