PDA

View Full Version : If you want to know what is wrong with this offense it starts with their attitude.

HHURRICANE
09-22-2014, 11:19 AM
How many times do I have to watch EJ jog out of bounds instead of trying to get a first down or even pick up an extra yard or two. News Flash: this guy isn't Peyton Manning so every yard he gets is worth the risk.

The coaches have him playing scared and are worried about him making mistakes. This guy is never going to get better without taking some risks. The entire offense plays scared.

There was one play that EJ easily could have picked up three more yards annd scooted out of bounds. Why have a mobile QB??

Alot of talent sitting there doing nothing.

casdhf
09-22-2014, 11:22 AM
I don't think it is the attitude of the offense, I think it is all EJ. FJ, Spiller, Chandler, even the WRs. They are willing to finish. EJ didn't look like he cared at all until the 4th quarter.

TheBrownBear
09-22-2014, 11:34 AM
This isn't new and isn't on the coaches imo. EJ did the same thing his last couple of seasons at FSU. At some point, he either absorbed some confidence crushing hit (like Edwards) or he was coached to be ultra conservative about running the ball. Go back to his college freshman year and high school footage and he was a legit dual threat quarterback.

HHURRICANE
09-22-2014, 11:38 AM
This isn't new and isn't on the coaches imo. EJ did the same thing his last couple of seasons at FSU. At some point, he either absorbed some confidence crushing hit (like Edwards) or he was coached to be ultra conservative about running the ball. Go back to his college freshman year and high school footage and he was a legit dual threat quarterback.

I'm not on the Bills coaching staff but I'm looking at the same film they are.

"Hey, EJ, you needed to get to the first down marker there." The coaches aren't telling him this? That seems hard to beleieve. I have to believe they are telling him not to risk getting hurt.

Fletch
09-22-2014, 11:51 AM
Does it really have to be explained to an NFL QB how many yards he needs to get to get a 1st-down and what the significance of this is on 3rd-downs?

It's not as if this changes once they get to the NFL, it's been like that throughout the years that they've played football. He does it on throws too, so what's the coaching staff telling him there, not to hurt his arm. He just doesn't think as quickly as an NFL QB needs to be able to do.

This guy knows his football and Manuel from FSU.

This isn't new. I'll take it a step further and say that it's Manuel's mental limitations. That's what they said at FSU too, he simply couldn't handle working on more than one aspect of his game at a time and when he changed gears he forgot about the last thing he worked on.

That kind of stuff doesn't automatically change just because you're playing in the NFL, the opposite in fact, it becomes more pronounced.

He was a dual threat prior to coming here but had success because of the physical and athletic advantage that he had then but doesn't have now.

Historian
09-22-2014, 11:53 AM
I think they've probably impressed upon him the need for him not to get hurt.

justasportsfan
09-22-2014, 11:54 AM
When Thad and Tuel were on the field they were running for the 1st down markers. So you can't say the coaches have ONLY EJ playing scared.

It's not just the running either, Thad and Tuel were not afraid to throw the ball. EJ isn't sure of himself.

EJ said it himself during camp, he needs to just trust it and throw it. He reverted back yesterday to what he was last year.

Fletch
09-22-2014, 12:05 PM
I think they've probably impressed upon him the need for him not to get hurt.

And he's ignorant to the fact that on 3rd-and-x he needs at least x yards to get a 1st down?

Does he really need someone to inform him of that? Again, what about all the passes where he throws for less than the 1st down?

Fletch
09-22-2014, 12:12 PM
When Thad and Tuel were on the field they were running for the 1st down markers. So you can't say the coaches have ONLY EJ playing scared.

It's not just the running either, Thad and Tuel were not afraid to throw the ball. EJ isn't sure of himself.

EJ said it himself during camp, he needs to just trust it and throw it. He reverted back yesterday to what he was last year.

You sure about that? Where was he last year after two games?

Last year - 45 for 66 for 446 yards, 68.2%, 3 TDs and an INT.

This year after two games - 32 for 48 for 375, 67.7%, 2 TDs and an INT.

He's averaging the same 1 TD per game that he averaged last season.

HAMMER
09-22-2014, 12:48 PM
So he should lower his shoulder and take on a couple players? No coach in the league wants his QB doing this, wake up.

BertSquirtgum
09-22-2014, 12:54 PM
How many times do I have to watch EJ jog out of bounds instead of trying to get a first down or even pick up an extra yard or two. News Flash: this guy isn't Peyton Manning so every yard he gets is worth the risk.

The coaches have him playing scared and are worried about him making mistakes. This guy is never going to get better without taking some risks. The entire offense plays scared.

There was one play that EJ easily could have picked up three more yards annd scooted out of bounds. Why have a mobile QB??

Alot of talent sitting there doing nothing.

If they all had Fred's attitude they might be able to do something worth while.

BertSquirtgum
09-22-2014, 12:58 PM
Fred is my favorite Bill since Jim Kelly. I wish everyone on offense had the amount of heart this guy has. They would be unstoppable.

HHURRICANE
09-22-2014, 01:28 PM
So he should lower his shoulder and take on a couple players? No coach in the league wants his QB doing this, wake up.

Did you watch the game? And BTW I didn't say that.

On three plays he literally ran out of bounds earlier than he needed to. He still wouldn't have been touched. That's what I'm talking about, not playing Fullback.

BOBM253
09-22-2014, 01:39 PM
It's all from last year and his injuries. He got hurt trying to squeeze a few extra yards out of plays. Everybody, including the media and the coaches, were upset and were telling him to smarten up, learn to slide and get the heck out of bounds before taking any hits.

What you see now is the product of those discussions. He has been told, and will not, take any hits if they can be avoided. Thus the early slides and runs out of bounds.

YardRat
09-22-2014, 01:42 PM
Actually whats wrong with this offense starts with the oline---they are weak up the middle and have a rookie starting at RT.

That being said, I agree with Historian...pretty sure, especially after what happened in Cleveland last season, the coaches have drilled into EJ to get out of bounds instead of taking the hit. ***** about him needing to learn how to slide, or ***** because he doesn't drive for extra yardage...one or the other, you can't have it both ways.

Typ0
09-22-2014, 03:56 PM
I honestly don't think he knew where the first down marker was on that play....it's the only way I can get my head around his running out of bounds like he did. I can understand avoiding a hit but the first down was right there for the taking. I think he is overwhelmed.