• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dr. Lecter
    Zero for Zero!
    • Mar 2003

Sabres Nolan not a fan of analytics.

Buffalo, NY (WGR 550) -- We’ve hit the age of analytics in all sports. Some teams have resisted it, but in the past year several have embraced it.

This past summer our Matthew Coller told you how Tim Murray uses analytics, but Ted Nolan doesn’t think of it in the same way. Nolan is old school, “The information I’ve used is with my eyes and my soul and my heart. If I see someone who’s competing and I know he’s competing, that’s good enough for me. I don’t need a machine to tell me how hard he worked, I can see it for myself, but there’s some of that data that you can use for how many calories they burn, but my number one analytic is you score one more goal that the opposition, you win.” Nolan added, "In modern day hockey there's a lot of emphasis put on analytics and how much possession time, but you can never underestimate the human aspect of the game. Hockey's not all that difficult, there's a science to it, but it's not rocket science."

There’s a Corsi number and a Fenwick number and possession numbers that have become quite popular in the last year or so. None of that is popular with the Sabres head coach, “If you have a Crosby on your team, they’re going to have a little bit more zone time. If you have a Kopitar on your team, they’re going to have a little bit more zone time. You look at all the teams that make the playoffs, they make it for a reason, they’re better teams. What we want to do is become a better team and you do that you get better players and it hasn’t changed since the 50’s and 60’s, you get better players, you have a better chance of winning.”
    Western New York’s number one source for daily sports talk and play-by-play as the flagship station of the Bills and Sabres. Stream, read and download WGR 550 AM from any device on Audacy

Ye Gods.
    Originally posted by mysticsoto
    Lecter is right in everything he said.
  • gebobs
    One Bills Drive, Georgia - 871 miles south of Orchard Park
    • Sep 2003

Re: Sabres Nolan not a fan of analytics.

I'm not a fan of statistics that make my team look bad either.
    Lehner's history. He just doesn't know it yet.

Comment

• YardRat
      Well, lookie here...
      • Dec 2004

Bon Jovi never would have hired Nolan again, if he owned the Sabres.

Just sayin'...
      YardRat Wall of Fame
      #56 DARRYL TALLEY
      #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• OpIv37
        Acid Douching Asswipe
        • Sep 2002

In grad school, the program I did was very skeptical of this McNamarian tendancy of attempting to quantify everything and run public policy and politics strictly on numbers. Numbers have their place because they are observable and repeatable, but they shouldn't be used as an excuse to ignore qualitative data, meaning the actual real-life experiences that people are having.

So, I understand where Nolan is coming from.

That being said, he still comes off as someone's bitter old grandpa ranting about how times have changed. "You kids stay off my lawn with your rap music and your internets and your fancy science numbers! We had more sense than that back in my day!"
        Last edited by OpIv37; 09-22-2014, 05:47 PM.
        MiKiDo Facebook
        MiKiDo Website

Comment

Working...
        X