PDA

View Full Version : E.J. is hurt ?

paladin warrior
09-24-2014, 01:16 PM
E.J. Manuel is listed on the Bills' injury report with an abdominal injury.

Manuel practiced in full on Wednesday, so it's not a concern for his Week 4 status. The Bills are likely to go run-heavy this week in a matchup with a Houston defense allowing 141.7 yards per game to opposing running backs.

sukie
09-24-2014, 01:19 PM
The injury isn't serious ... just will limit his ability to show any real guts while in the pocket.

swiper
09-24-2014, 01:43 PM
The injury isn't serious ... just will limit his ability to show any real guts while in the pocket.

So he's always had this injury?

sukie
09-24-2014, 01:43 PM
So he's always had this injury?

I hear it can be nagging...

stuckincincy
09-24-2014, 01:48 PM
Gosh - does this mean that Orton might have to put down the clipboard and get off that $4M hammock and suit up for his 14th game appearance in 4 years? :crazy:

Skooby
09-24-2014, 05:00 PM
Gosh - does this mean that Orton might have to put down the clipboard and get off that $4M hammock and suit up for his 14th game appearance in 4 years? :crazy:

$4 M ? $4 Million net.

WagonCircler
09-24-2014, 05:21 PM
Never eat Mighty Taco before bed time.

Come on, EJ! Rookie mistake.

Buffalogic
09-24-2014, 05:24 PM
Someone kidnap EJ ala Ace Ventura. Franchise saved.

Yasgur's Farm
09-24-2014, 05:54 PM
Don't get excited Skooby... I'll be collecting that 50K ZB's from you.

Meathead
09-24-2014, 06:16 PM
in todays practice ejs arm had suddenly gone completely numb, though he continued throwing. in other news, ejs completion percentage hitting wide open receivers didnt change

dudes got a mental block or something. hey look woods is open for a big gainer, lets throw it to the gatorade table. sammy streaking over the middle for a touchdown, so let me try to hit one of those thousand fat guys in the rockpile

remember a few weeks ago marrone says ej is trying to aim the ball now and he just had to let it fly. ok maybe its time to let him start aiming again. at least install a damn cross hair in his facemask

BertSquirtgum
09-24-2014, 09:41 PM
Marrone is getting it set up for why Orton is going to put into a game in the near future.

TacklingDummy
09-25-2014, 05:56 AM
Not surprised he's injured or that he will get injured again.

ghz in pittsburgh
09-25-2014, 07:17 AM
Say what you will, but I like his demeanor, the seemingly strong desire to be great, and good work ethics. In a way I seee why Nix, Whaley etc. drafted him in the first round because a guy with his natural talent and the attributes I just mentioned, sooner or later, good results will follow if not derailed by injury (hence the the instruction to not get injured).

I think the Steve McNair comparison is valid. McNair played 11 games in his first two years before he came on in year 3 and reached superbowl in year 5 while still averaging less than 200 yards a game; always having more TDs than INTs.

Yes the bar is not set very high if McNair is your model and people today do not have nearly the patience like back then almost 20 years ago (fans, coaches, owners). Looking from afar, it seems like it was the strategy of OBD until Wilson's passing which prompted them do things like trading for Watkins.

We'll see what goes forward. Personally I don't see Manuel will perform like Geno Smith to lose you a game or win you a game, more of muddling nondescriptive games. Nix/Whaley started the process of building a good defense and I hate the kind of decision trading away 1st round picks. With McNair, the Titans didn't get super good when they drafted Jevon Kearse. The Bills won't have a chance for a Kearse next year. And they haven't find an Eddie George yet.

Fletch
09-25-2014, 07:32 AM
Say what you will, but I like his demeanor, the seemingly strong desire to be great, and good work ethics. In a way I seee why Nix, Whaley etc. drafted him in the first round because a guy with his natural talent and the attributes I just mentioned, sooner or later, good results will follow if not derailed by injury (hence the the instruction to not get injured).

Not sure why anyone would think that good results will follow based on soft characteristics.

First of all it was not Nix, it was Whaley, entirely. When you say "natural talent" you must be referring to his natual athletic ability since you didn't specify. But that, a strong work ethic, a desire to be great, and leadership abilities are all overcome by the more mechanical issues that he have for which there appears to be no shortage.

He's not going to have any good results until he can straighten out his mechanics, and once again, they tried that for a couple of years at FSU before conceding that he was incapable and adjusting the offense to accommodate his weaknesses.

Clearly we tried last season and failed here too. So I'm not sure why you see a light at the end of that tunnel. We can keep saying it all we want, but there has to be a reason besides just that eventually something will shake loose when it never has in the past.

You know the often cited quote defining insanity by Einstein, right?

It's a futile battle and as such the reaching by Whaley to draft Manuel was a poor choice, but the choice to draft Watkins at the expense that was required for the sole purpose of catering to a QB that probably won't even be starting here next season was an even worse one. What if our next QB is more suited to the strengths and skills of one of several other WRs more than he is to Watkins' bubble screen MO? Then the pick will look twice as horrible as it now looks.

This front office cannot be ousted fast enough. Pegula better be on the stick on this one.

casdhf
09-25-2014, 07:52 AM
Do you really need to turn every thread into a Whaley/Watkins discussion?

justasportsfan
09-25-2014, 08:23 AM
The thought of JJ Watt already making EJ poop?

Dr. Who
09-25-2014, 09:52 AM
What a contemptible and completely predictable response from this board.

justasportsfan
09-25-2014, 10:01 AM
What a contemptible and completely predictable response from this board.

I am hard on EJ I am tired of waiting for a franchise qb. I need to see down the road that he can be that but I don't know if he can ever be a great passer. I want a statue of a qb like Jim Kelly over a mobile qb who is an average passer.

I would even take Bledsoe back who I thought was the most over rated qb in NFL history. He would at least be able to take advantage of Watkins, Woods, M. Williams , Chandler and find Goodwin deep as well.

Dr. Who
09-25-2014, 10:16 AM
Well, imo, Orton's ceiling is EJ's floor. EJ is the only qb on the roster who has the potential to become a franchise qb. Unlike many on this board, I have not already closed the book on him. I think with patience, he will probably end up a qb who is better than simply a game manager -- that is a qb good enough to win a super bowl.

Regardless, he needs to be given this year and it would be optimal if fans would support him. If he doesn't work out, we'll have to look elsewhere. What I see is a young player with good character, intellect, and work ethic. Why take every opportunity to slam him? I will be sad if he doesn't become what Bills' fans are looking for, but even then, I would not stoop to the level of derision that is commonly thrown his way already.

Meathead
09-25-2014, 11:43 AM
i remain a pretty firm supporter for ej but he cant have more than two games a year like he had on sunday. he was probably the worst player on either unit, which of course means bad things. it was probably his worst game as a pro in terms of sharting the bed when he had opportunities to make plays

he needs to rebound and not throw any real stinkers like that for a while. he certainly needs to be given the chance, i still want him to succeed and expect he will improve, but in the mean time i will poke a little fun at this last bad performance

Dr. Who
09-25-2014, 11:51 AM
He certainly needs to play better. I'm pretty sure he knows that.

starrymessenger
09-25-2014, 05:11 PM
It's the seed of misinformation that may grow into an excuse for sitting EJ without losing face.
Those abdominal muscle pulls can be even more unpredictable than plantar fasciitis.

swiper
10-03-2014, 12:20 PM
Well, imo, Orton's ceiling is EJ's floor. EJ is the only qb on the roster who has the potential to become a franchise qb. Unlike many on this board, I have not already closed the book on him. I think with patience, he will probably end up a qb who is better than simply a game manager -- that is a qb good enough to win a super bowl.

Regardless, he needs to be given this year and it would be optimal if fans would support him. If he doesn't work out, we'll have to look elsewhere. What I see is a young player with good character, intellect, and work ethic. Why take every opportunity to slam him? I will be sad if he doesn't become what Bills' fans are looking for, but even then, I would not stoop to the level of derision that is commonly thrown his way already.

You are stupid.

DynaPaul
10-03-2014, 12:57 PM
His injury is vaginal in nature.

Night Train
10-03-2014, 01:07 PM
Activate Tuel from the PS, just in case.

WagonCircler
10-03-2014, 01:16 PM
You are stupid.

This post made me laugh. Straight to the point!

IlluminatusUIUC
10-03-2014, 01:26 PM
Activate Tuel from the PS, just in case.

If Orton has come come out, god forbid. Manuel will probably just go in there and handoff, as he'd be the last "healthy" QB. That might actually be a blessing.