• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Yasgur's Farm
    • Feb 2005

This is why I give EJ thru late December

http://www.trendingbuffalo.com/sport...ending-upward/[QUOTE]From
    Read the whole article... But the quote below is why he get thru late December IMO...
    Manuel isn’t an absolute “one-read” quarterback, but he doesn’t run through 2-4 progressions very often. That’s a very advanced but ultimately necessary quarterbacking trait. Offensive coordinator Nate Hackett has done a great job getting Manuel an open receiver on his first read but the Chargers secondary had a magnificent day in coverage, both in man and zone, and coupled with a poor offensive line showing, many times, Manuel either didn’t have anyone open or was faced with pressure almost immediately or before pass-catchers made their breaks.
  • ghz in pittsburgh
    • Aug 2004

Re: This is why I give EJ thru late December

More than anything else, Manuel needs to quickly move off his initial target if it’s not open right away.
    This is one thing that Chargers picked on which has carried over from pre-season where more than one observers have said that he tends to stare down the receivers. I noticed in the wed presser he mentioned that he needs to calm down when the play is not there, which echos what Marrone said on Monday.

Of course it is much easier to say stuff in front of a microphone than when DEs are crashing down to you on the field. But this is the kind of improvement I want to see over the course of the season. There are a lot of things for him to fix; if I were the coaches, I'd take one small step at a time and say let's focus on this one now.

Comment

• Homegrown
      Havin' a ball ... rollin' to the bottom
      • Jul 2008

The Browns like the cut of your jib

Comment

• justasportsfan
        • Jul 2002

Manuel isn’t an absolute “one-read” quarterback, but he doesn’t run through 2-4 progressions very often. That’s a very advanced but ultimately necessary quarterbacking trait.
        you know who had that very advanced trait and was way more advanced than EJ? Van Pelt and Fitz.

If you can't throw , that advanced trait is useless.

If you have that advanced trait but don't have the BASIC trait that a qb needs which is accuracy, then you should be a coach.
        sacrifice1
        https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• EDS
          • Jan 2003

EJ gets the whole season to prove himself since there is no one else on the roster to develop as an alternative.

Comment

• malvado78
            • Mar 2006

Originally posted by ghz in pittsburgh View Post
            Of course it is much easier to say stuff in front of a microphone than when DEs are crashing down to you on the field.
            Sounds like we should send some DE's at him while he is at the mic during the presser. Give him more opportunities for experience.

Comment

• WagonCircler
              Escaped Convict
              • Jul 2002

Originally posted by EDS View Post
              EJ gets the whole season to prove himself since there is no one else on the roster to develop as an alternative.
              So you think the Bills gave Orton that huge contract with no possible hope that he can play?

Ridiculous.

Comment

• malvado78
                • Mar 2006

Originally posted by WagonCircler View Post
                So you think the Bills gave Orton that huge contract with no possible hope that he can play?

Ridiculous.
                Who cares what amount of money they gave him. They have plenty left over EVERY year. Hopefully that changes with new ownership...

Comment

• ghz in pittsburgh
                  • Aug 2004

Originally posted by malvado78 View Post
                  Who cares what amount of money they gave him. They have plenty left over EVERY year. Hopefully that changes with new ownership...
                  If Pegula were the owner two years ago, Fitz might still be here. And tell you what, Fitz might just be the perfect guy to start while Manuel learns in the first year and mentor in the 2nd year.

Comment

• Meathead
                    Insufferable ***** and perpetual crybaby
                    • Jul 2002

exactly how late into december? if we are talking december 20th then maybe, but if its pats december 25 then forget it
                    One set of rules for all in the beloved community

Comment

• Night Train
                      Retired - On Several Levels
                      • Jul 2005

It's not all about Manuel.

If Marrone thinks he's auditioning for employment for Pegula and Co., then he'll insert Orton the second he thinks the season may be in jeopardy. It's all about winning.

I don't think he gives a crap what Whaley and Brandon think now. Once the season starts, the team is his and his voice is primary.

It goes for all positions.
                      Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• Bill Cody
                        • Sep 2004

Ridiculous.
                        It's the same deal he had in Dallas. And he played there, when Romo was hurt. But yes he was signed by Dallas with the hope that he would never take a snap. Same idea here except the hope is he never takes a snap because EJ is improving. Orton will play when Marrone has given up on EJ or EJ is hurt, that simple.

Comment

• sudzy
                          • Apr 2013

Originally posted by malvado78 View Post
                          You know what else I hope changes with new ownership? Excepting mediocre play at QB.

Comment

• EDS
                            • Jan 2003

Ridiculous.
                            From a fans perspective, I think Orton is a very good back-up QB and a solid stopgap starter. I don't view him as the long-term answer and I think it would take a perfect alignment of the stars for the Bills to contend in a meaningful way with Orton at QB. As such, I rather just play Manuel in the perhaps futile hope he "gets it" or confirm he is not the answer so the team does not need to waste time with him next season.

Comment

• starrymessenger
                              • Oct 2009

Originally posted by ghz in pittsburgh View Post
                              This is one thing that Chargers picked on which has carried over from pre-season where more than one observers have said that he tends to stare down the receivers. I noticed in the wed presser he mentioned that he needs to calm down when the play is not there, which echos what Marrone said on Monday.

Of course it is much easier to say stuff in front of a microphone than when DEs are crashing down to you on the field. But this is the kind of improvement I want to see over the course of the season. There are a lot of things for him to fix; if I were the coaches, I'd take one small step at a time and say let's focus on this one now.
                              So you're in Pittsburgh Ghz?
                              Then you should remember that when EJ faced the Steelers last year the Steeler DBS were looking at each other in amazement all saying in perfect unison "but he just stares at the guy his throwing to".
                              And y'know what? That was what he did at FSU too.
                              Nothing has nor is it likely ever to change.
                              Take away his first read and he's done like dinner.

Comment

Working...
                              X