PDA

View Full Version : Depressing stat of the day

JoeMama
09-27-2014, 08:37 AM
With the Kansas City Royals clinching a playoff berth yesterday (their first since 1985), the Buffalo Bills are now the proud owners of the second longest playoff drought among the four major American sports.

Only the Toronto Blue Jays have us beat, failing to reach the postseason since 1993.

Post script to EJ Manuel: Learn how to play football. SOON.

Post script to Kyle Orton: Warm that arm up, buddy. All this team needs is stable QB play to compete for a wild card.

HAMMER
09-27-2014, 09:47 AM
With the Kansas City Royals clinching a playoff berth yesterday (their first since 1985), the Buffalo Bills are now the proud owners of the second longest playoff drought among the four major American sports.

Only the Toronto Blue Jays have us beat, failing to reach the postseason since 1993.

Post script to Kyle Orton: Warm that arm up, buddy. All this team needs is stable QB play to compete for a wild card.

If you think Orton is the solution you have issues.

Meathead
09-27-2014, 09:54 AM
cmon man i dont want to be number one on this. theres gotta be a roller derby team somewhere that hasnt made the playoffs in forever

ServoBillieves
09-27-2014, 09:58 AM
At least we aren't the Washington Generals... as much as EJ wants to be Red Klotz.

Don't Panic
09-27-2014, 10:15 AM
This would be a nice list to avoid... our friends to the north failed to hold serve this season so we have another shot at it before they start up again. Equally sadly, the last time they made it they won it all I believe.

Buffalo Thriller
09-27-2014, 10:23 AM
We're number 1! Oh...

Ginger Vitis
09-27-2014, 10:28 AM
Im a Bills and Jays fan.. Boy do I miss the 90s

JoeMama
09-27-2014, 11:15 AM
If you think Orton is the solution you have issues.

I know this much.

Orton understands the position well enough to not take the idiotic safety that EJ took last week.

We can't afford that kind of idiocy under center. Our defense is playing too well to hang them out to dry like that.

JoeMama
09-27-2014, 03:03 PM
Also HAMMER, just so we're clear, I do not accept criticism from a Bon Jovi fan. Ever.

Liking JBV = no taste, no class, no self-respect.

Albany,n.y.
09-27-2014, 03:22 PM
Wild cards & just making the playoffs in a year that the team has no chance to win it all are low expectations that I find completely unacceptable. If a team makes the playoffs & gets trounced in the 1st game the season is a failure. Just because the Bills haven't made the playoffs in 14 years doesn't matter. What matters is the team hasn't been good enough to compete for a championship. In 3 years from now, I'd rather extend the streak & actually see them win one than get into the playoffs the next 2 seasons & in season 3 get knocked off for the 3rd straight year in the 1st game. The goal is to build a champion, not a wild card loser.
As far as the playoffless streak, I could care less. Until this team is a Super Bowl contender, this team is a failure.

JoeMama
09-27-2014, 04:09 PM
Wild cards & just making the playoffs in a year that the team has no chance to win it all are low expectations that I find completely unacceptable. If a team makes the playoffs & gets trounced in the 1st game the season is a failure. Just because the Bills haven't made the playoffs in 14 years doesn't matter. What matters is the team hasn't been good enough to compete for a championship. In 3 years from now, I'd rather extend the streak & actually see them win one than get into the playoffs the next 2 seasons & in season 3 get knocked off for the 3rd straight year in the 1st game. The goal is to build a champion, not a wild card loser.
As far as the playoffless streak, I could care less. Until this team is a Super Bowl contender, this team is a failure.

Then you're nuts.

Basic logic says that making the playoffs is part of the natural progression toward becoming a contender.

You want us to go from 0 to 60 in one season. That's an absurd expectation, which is worse than a "low" expectation because of how incredibly bizarre it is.

We need improvement. Once you crack the playoffs, you have something to build on. You can find the missing pieces to complete the puzzle and contend for a SB.

How you possibly disagree with this is beyond comprehension.

BuffaloRedleg
09-27-2014, 06:37 PM
: ((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((

Generalissimus Gibby
09-27-2014, 07:03 PM

Yeah, but you're missing the most important part of this story: THE ROYALS ARE IN THE PLAYOFFS, THE ROYALS ARE IN THE PLAYOFFS, thank God almighty THE ROYALS ARE IN THE PLAYOFFS (wait until you see what I say when the Bills get back to the post season, lets hope we find out sooner rather than later). Actually the Bills are the sole stinkers in my sports world. My college hoops teams have done very well in the past couple years, the Royals have been playing decently for a couple years, but the Bills. Well, if we can ever get a QB.

YardRat
09-27-2014, 07:04 PM
Toronto sucks.

WagonCircler
09-27-2014, 07:08 PM
In related news, Toronto's streak of not making the NFL playoffs continues into infinity.

Thanks, Terry Pegula!

Generalissimus Gibby
09-27-2014, 07:10 PM

True, those are low expectations, and losing a game at the same time the Tigers are losing is even worse. We can't hit worth ****.

Albany,n.y.
09-27-2014, 08:48 PM
Then you're nuts.

Basic logic says that making the playoffs is part of the natural progression toward becoming a contender.

You want us to go from 0 to 60 in one season. That's an absurd expectation, which is worse than a "low" expectation because of how incredibly bizarre it is.

We need improvement. Once you crack the playoffs, you have something to build on. You can find the missing pieces to complete the puzzle and contend for a SB.

How you possibly disagree with this is beyond comprehension.

That's absolute balderdash. You don't build up to a conference/league championship. The fact that you ignore history is what is beyond comprehension. Let's take a look at teams that were in the Super Bowl after not making the playoffs the year before over the last 20 years.
2011 NYG -won
2010-Pit
2009 NO (from 8-8 last place) won
2008-Ariz
2003 NE-won, Car
2001 NE-WON (From 5-11 last place)
2000-Balt -won, NYG (neither team had a winning record the year before, one 8-8 the other 7-9)
1999 Stl -won (from last place 4-12), Tennessee (8-8)
1998-Atl (from 7-9)
1996-NE (from 6-10)
1994 SD

JoeMama
09-27-2014, 10:02 PM
That's absolute balderdash. You don't build up to a conference/league championship. The fact that you ignore history is what is beyond comprehension. Let's take a look at teams that were in the Super Bowl after not making the playoffs (Yes, let's) he year before over the last 20 years.
2011 NYG -won (won it in 2007, had a franchise QB, and had made it to the playoffs in 5 of 7 years after Eli emerged in 2005)
2010-Pit (won the SB in 2005 and 2008, had a franchise QB, and made it to the playoffs 4 out of 6 seasons prior to 2010)
2009 NO (from 8-8 last place) won (playoffs in 2006, had a franchise QB, just needed the right coach and they got him, Sean Payton)
2008-Ariz (finally a good example: Kurt Warner rebounded after he was coupled with Ken Whisenhunt who handed him the full reigns midway through 2007)
2003 NE-won, Car (won the Superbowl in 2001 and barely missed the playoffs in 2002)
2001 NE-WON (From 5-11 last place) (a good example: NE realized what they had in Tom Brady, Belichick/Weiss brought him along correctly)
2000-Balt -won, NYG (neither team had a winning record the year before, one 8-8 the other 7-9) (a true surprise, no franchise QB, best defense of all time, this is such a huge outlier it doesn't need explaining)
1999 Stl -won (from last place 4-12), Tennessee (8-8) (STL was the most shocking and unexpected rise to a superbowl of all time, another outlier)

The rest of the 90s examples, fine, you can have those. I don't see how they apply to the modern era anymore.

1998-Atl (from 7-9) (emergence of Chris Chandler in his mid 30s and Jamal Anderson out of nowhere)
1996-NE (from 6-10) (Drew Bledsoe and the Tuna were a good combo in the early to mid 90s, not a huge surprise)
1994 SD (Stan Humphries and Natran Means, baby... a pleasant surprise, not a master planned achievement)

OK, so let's not waste our time trying to make the playoffs until you crown them worthy of your arbitrary SB contention ranking.

Almost every modern team you mentioned had either a franchise QB, the right QB/coach combo, or a track record in the playoffs even if they had a down year in between playoff berths.

And either way it doesn't apply to us. We don't appear to have a franchise QB. There doesn't appear to be much chemistry between Marrone and EJ. And we definitely haven't made the playoffs in recent years like every single team you mentioned from the 2003 on up.

So what's your point exactly?

On one hand you're able to preordain this team isn't a contender (fair enough), on the other hand you're saying SB teams usually suck and come out of the blue to blow everyone's mind.

So how exactly does a team get preordained for contention in your fantasy world?

You're going off on two completely divergent paths at the same time and I can't go two places at once. So pick one path and go with it.

Mace
09-27-2014, 10:07 PM
Im a Bills and Jays fan.. Boy do I miss the 90s

I was thinking the same thing. At least they have a couple titles to keep them warm.

Albany,n.y.
09-28-2014, 09:02 AM
OK, so let's not waste our time trying to make the playoffs until you crown them worthy of your arbitrary SB contention ranking.

Almost every modern team you mentioned had either a franchise QB, the right QB/coach combo, or a track record in the playoffs even if they had a down year in between playoff berths.

And either way it doesn't apply to us. We don't appear to have a franchise QB. There doesn't appear to be much chemistry between Marrone and EJ. And we definitely haven't made the playoffs in recent years like every single team you mentioned from the 2003 on up.

So what's your point exactly?

On one hand you're able to preordain this team isn't a contender (fair enough), on the other hand you're saying SB teams usually suck and come out of the blue to blow everyone's mind.

So how exactly does a team get preordained for contention in your fantasy world?

You're going off on two completely divergent paths at the same time and I can't go two places at once. So pick one path and go with it.

You got my 2 points, both are valid & consistent with each other, especially in response to someone who thinks Orton leading us to the playoffs is a good stepping stone.

Point 1-Until we have a franchise QB it doesn't matter whether we make the playoffs or not because we're never going to progress to a championship level. Without a franchise QB, the growth you expect by making the playoffs won't happen.

Point 2-I don't care about wild cards. As a fan, I find it unacceptable to set my sights on just being a wild card team-we deserve better than that, especially if the guy who leads us to the playoffs is a stopgap like Orton, because if Orton leads us to a wild card, it does nothing to get us closer to being a championship contender (see point 1).

JoeMama
09-28-2014, 10:02 AM
You got my 2 points, both are valid & consistent with each other, especially in response to someone who thinks Orton leading us to the playoffs is a good stepping stone.

Point 1-Until we have a franchise QB it doesn't matter whether we make the playoffs or not because we're never going to progress to a championship level. Without a franchise QB, the growth you expect by making the playoffs won't happen.

Point 2-I don't care about wild cards. As a fan, I find it unacceptable to set my sights on just being a wild card team-we deserve better than that, especially if the guy who leads us to the playoffs is a stopgap like Orton, because if Orton leads us to a wild card, it does nothing to get us closer to being a championship contender (see point 1).

Your initial point was invalid about playoff berths being meaningless prior to SB appearances.

Your other point is worse.

All bets are off once you make the playoffs. The Jags taught us (& the Broncos) that cruel lesson in 1996. Ditto the Colts in 97 when Harbaugh & the Colts were a dropped hail mary away from the Superbowl vs NE. Ditto Grossman and Dilfer making it to the Superbowl.

Stuff happens. Making the playoffs matters. Even if you don't think it's worth it.

I'll take playoffs every time.

Of course we need a franchise QB. But that doesn't mean we should throw in the towel for all eternity until we get one.

IlluminatusUIUC
09-28-2014, 10:21 AM

Wild cards have won 5 of the last 10 Super Bowls. Crazy stuff happens in the playoffs. Ask Rahim Moore.

OLDSRIP
09-28-2014, 10:26 AM
cmon man i dont want to be number one on this. theres gotta be a roller derby team somewhere that hasnt made the playoffs in forever

Even the Washington Generals are amazed at the Bills streak.

Albany,n.y.
09-28-2014, 10:37 AM
Your initial point was invalid about playoff berths being meaningless prior to SB appearances.

Your other point is worse.

All bets are off once you make the playoffs. The Jags taught us (& the Broncos) that cruel lesson in 1996. Ditto the Colts in 97 when Harbaugh & the Colts were a dropped hail mary away from the Superbowl vs NE. Ditto Grossman and Dilfer making it to the Superbowl.

Stuff happens. Making the playoffs matters. Even if you don't think it's worth it.

I'll take playoffs every time.

Of course we need a franchise QB. But that doesn't mean we should throw in the towel for all eternity until we get one.

There is no right or wrong answer. You think we should go with Orton if it means making the playoffs as a wild card. I see making the playoffs as a wild card with Orton meaningless. I want better. I think the Bills should be good enough to win the division & if not, a wild card doesn't interest me. You think if we make the playoffs as a wild card we can go to the Super Bowl-I don't. You see a playoff game with Orton as a step in the team's growth, I don't.
I'm not satisfied with just being in the playoffs, I want better. That doesn't make my opinion any more or less valid than your opinion, they're just different fan's takes on things. So I'm rooting for EJ to emerge & win the division, and show me we're a real contender, not Kyle Orton squeaking us into the playoffs. In the end we want the same thing, a championship, but there are many routes to one & I prefer all or nothing, you want a small piece of pie in hopes you'll get another slice, I want the whole pie or no pie at all.

Albany,n.y.
09-28-2014, 10:44 AM
Wild cards have won 5 of the last 10 Super Bowls. Crazy stuff happens in the playoffs. Ask Rahim Moore.

Actually, it's 3 of the last 10. Division winners play in the Wild Card round, but they're not wild cards, they're division winners.

IlluminatusUIUC
09-28-2014, 10:56 AM
Actually, it's 3 of the last 10. Division winners play in the Wild Card round, but they're not wild cards, they're division winners.

My mistake, but to be fair, is a team that derps into the playoffs at 9-7 (2011 Giants) or 10-6 (2012 Ravens) with a weak division really that much better?

JoeMama
09-28-2014, 11:12 AM
There is no right or wrong answer. You think we should go with Orton if it means making the playoffs as a wild card. I see making the playoffs as a wild card with Orton meaningless. I want better. I think the Bills should be good enough to win the division & if not, a wild card doesn't interest me. You think if we make the playoffs as a wild card we can go to the Super Bowl-I don't. You see a playoff game with Orton as a step in the team's growth, I don't.
I'm not satisfied with just being in the playoffs, I want better. That doesn't make my opinion any more or less valid than your opinion, they're just different fan's takes on things. So I'm rooting for EJ to emerge & win the division, and show me we're a real contender, not Kyle Orton squeaking us into the playoffs. In the end we want the same thing, a championship, but there are many routes to one & I prefer all or nothing, you want a small piece of pie in hopes you'll get another slice, I want the whole pie or no pie at all.

Fair enough.

I still prefer the excitement of playoff football regardless of the circumstances. All bets are off at that point.

I was a teenager the last time we made it. It would be nice to feel that rush again.

BTW I never said Kyle Orton makes us a SB contender. I said he's a steady guy who can be a Jim Miller type game manager ala the 2001 Bears.

I'd rather see EJ progress but frankly last week really sucked the life out of me. That safety was so monumentally stupid it makes wonder if it's worth putting any trust in him going forward. I can't think of any good QB's who ever made that mistake at any point in their careers. Not one.