PDA

View Full Version : The Pivotal Play

ghz in pittsburgh
09-28-2014, 03:53 PM
They decided to go back to something they had success before - like the Bears game where CJ scored.

Unfortunately JJ Watts is not your ordinary DE, nor your star DE. He's absolutely the best Defensive player in NFL in his prime right now. He sized up the situation, stopped rush, get his hands up - the rest is history.

The rest of the way, the Bills stayed away from Watts, period. I wondered what happened on that play? No question Hackett called that play, but do they give EJ the option to check out since Watt is on that side and is going to be UNBLOCKED. I know there is a lot of moving variations. Personally, I thought a run up the middle was coming.

Despite what people are saying how EJ was bad. Up to that point, he was doing what he has been doing this season - missing here and there, but more or less sound football. That play changed the game.

The whole sequence started at the end of first half where Graham got beat on a TD, to this Watts pick 6 pretty much decided the whole thing. I could only imagine if we played some uninspired football of holding them to 3 there while getting a conservative 3 here ...

stuckincincy
09-28-2014, 04:19 PM
They decided to go back to something they had success before - like the Bears game where CJ scored.

Unfortunately JJ Watts is not your ordinary DE, nor your star DE. He's absolutely the best Defensive player in NFL in his prime right now. He sized up the situation, stopped rush, get his hands up - the rest is history.

The rest of the way, the Bills stayed away from Watts, period. I wondered what happened on that play? No question Hackett called that play, but do they give EJ the option to check out since Watt is on that side and is going to be UNBLOCKED. I know there is a lot of moving variations. Personally, I thought a run up the middle was coming.

Despite what people are saying how EJ was bad. Up to that point, he was doing what he has been doing this season - missing here and there, but more or less sound football. That play changed the game.

The whole sequence started at the end of first half where Graham got beat on a TD, to this Watts pick 6 pretty much decided the whole thing. I could only imagine if we played some uninspired football of holding them to 3 there while getting a conservative 3 here ...

I'm not sure if Watt is the best defensive player -there is always an assortment week to week...take your pick. But he is good at sniffing out the short pass, and BUF sure does toss a bunch of passes to their backs. and I think they do that by design. And why not? Jackson and Spiller have hands and move the ball.

They have to be aware that Manual isn't all that tossing down field darts.

Crisis
09-28-2014, 04:20 PM
It's Watt, not Watts. He's probably the best player in the NFL right now. He's insane.

Skooby
09-28-2014, 04:23 PM
Lets blame everyone but the QB for throwing it, LOL.

DynaPaul
09-28-2014, 04:30 PM
The play was too predictable and I saw it coming a mile away... another RB screen. That seems to be the only bread-and-butter pass that EJ can't totally screw up though he has had accuracy issues on a small percentage of them. Forget about the deep balls, only about 3 in 10 are catchable. Stack the box agaisnt EJ and it's over.

YardRat
09-28-2014, 04:35 PM
Watt certainly deserves his props, and it was bad enough in the first half listening to the announcers drool over his every move, but after that pick 6 it seemed like he was elevated to status just above Jesus, but still slightly below Bruschi.

stuckincincy
09-28-2014, 04:42 PM
The play was too predictable and I saw it coming a mile away... another RB screen. That seems to be the only bread-and-butter pass that EJ can't totally screw up though he has had accuracy issues on a small percentage of them. Forget about the deep balls, only about 3 in 10 are catchable. Stack the box agaisnt EJ and it's over.

The whole game was a dog's dinner.

BUF's longest drive was 6:13 and ended in a field goal. HOU's longest was 4:19, also ending with a fg. Both of which came after a punt. Ugh.

jdbillsfan
09-28-2014, 04:50 PM
He's a great player, but EJ threw it right to him. Bad play all around though as he Texans knew that was coming and wasn't gonna be a first down anyway. Maybe look to your second option?

Ingtar33
09-28-2014, 07:44 PM

4 texans jumped that play. Hell the free safety was in the backfield looking for that play. the whole texans defense knew that play was comming. Its not some magic play by watts that made that happen. Its a quarterback that can't find an open WR downfield, who won't check off of the primary receiver and who doesn't recognise when a play is blown that makes that happen. Any solid QB would have glanced somewhere else or thrown the ball away rather then throw that pass. instead EJ threw it straight into Watt's face, and even is Watt wasn't there, there were 3 more texans swarming the intended WR, that play was dead at the snap.

Historian
09-29-2014, 06:00 AM
That play reminded me of the Darrick Holmes fumble in San Francisco a few years back.

Bills are primed to punch it in and take the lead, then Holmes fumbles, it gets run back 90 yards for a TD, and the Bills never recover from it.

This happens way too frequently to the Bills.

Discotrish
09-29-2014, 06:38 AM
The whole game was a dog's dinner.

BUF's longest drive was 6:13 and ended in a field goal. HOU's longest was 4:19, also ending with a fg. Both of which came after a punt. Ugh.

The clock management at the end of the first half was terrible. And having to call a timeout on FIRST down.

Patti