PDA

View Full Version : Did we get the best WR in the draft?

BillsFanCupp38
09-28-2014, 07:48 PM
Believe me, I know EJ being terrible has something to do with it but I've been more impressed with Mike Evans, kelvin Benjamin, deandre Hopkins and Brandon cooks. Did we get the best receiver in the draft? Serious question...

Ingtar33
09-28-2014, 07:55 PM
Believe me, I know EJ being terrible has something to do with it but I've been more impressed with Mike Evans, kelvin Benjamin, deandre Hopkins and Brandon cooks. Did we get the best receiver in the draft? Serious question...

the fact you're even asking the question validates my degree of displeasure in the trade up for watkins. because they traded up for watkins the question with him will never be "is he worth a high first round draft pick?" (he is by the way), but will be "is he worth TWO high first round draft picks?" (it's probably too soon to say, but with this level of QB play i'd say even if he was that good, we'll never know)

jamze132
09-28-2014, 07:59 PM
Watkins will NEVER live up to that trade as long as the QB carousel continues. It having a 1st rounder next year for the new regime to get their guy only stings more.

Jaybird
09-28-2014, 07:59 PM
i understand why you would ask the question... but it can not be validated at this time. We have a QB that can't get the WR the ball. Even when he does get a chance the ball is beyond inaccurate. I am starting to see the WR frustration with EJ. He doesn't deserve more time... give the job to KO

justasportsfan
09-28-2014, 08:20 PM
If we drafted Evans instead or of Aj Green were on the team you'd be asking the same question

WagonCircler
09-28-2014, 08:35 PM
If we drafted Evans instead or of Aj Green were on the team you'd be asking the same question

See, that's part of the point.

No WR can impact games enough to warrant two first round picks. When you factor in a horrendous QB, this deal becomes an unmitigated disaster.

YardRat
09-28-2014, 08:36 PM
We'll know in 3 to 5 seasons.

imbondz
09-28-2014, 08:37 PM
yes we did, but we'll never see his full potential until we have a good QB

justasportsfan
09-28-2014, 08:38 PM
See, that's part of the point.

No WR can impact games enough to warrant two first round picks. When you factor in a horrendous QB, this deal becomes an unmitigated disaster.
No argument here.

Thing is the bills hoped that Watkins could turn dinks into large gains for Ej. Thats what Watkins did in college. Problem is, Ej took dinking and dunking to a new crappy level. He's a horrible version of Trentative

Fletch
09-28-2014, 08:59 PM
No argument here.

Thing is the bills hoped that Watkins could turn dinks into large gains for Ej. Thats what Watkins did in college. Problem is, Ej took dinking and dunking to a new crappy level. He's a horrible version of Trentative

If you know football then you know that dinking and dunking for big gains works in college, especially on teams that have superior talent than their opponents, but it doesn't work in the NFL.

Watkins has an element of gimmicky-ness to his game which doesn't translate well to the NFL. He was far from a pro-style WR coming in.

Fletch
09-28-2014, 09:07 PM

I've been told repeatedly that we got the best WR in the draft. Gotta be true or a whole bunch of people that told me that are wrong and we know that can't possibly be the case.

Buffalogic
09-28-2014, 09:12 PM
There's a good chance we would be asking this question of any receiver in this league with Manuel throwing it to him.

Mr. Pink
09-28-2014, 09:14 PM
Ugh. Great WRs shine regardless of who throws them the ball. Look at what Calvin Johnson put up with a QB carousel in Detroit before Matthew Stafford showed up. If Watkins is that good, he'll be able to put up similar numbers over the course of a season.

Calvin's second year he put up 78 for 1331 and 12 TDs. Did that help the 08 Lions win games? No. They went 0-16 that year. Does it help them win games now that there's a capable QB throwing the ball? Yes. That team still has problems but not 2008 glaring problems.

The hope has to be that Watkins is kept around and the next time the franchise re-rolls on a QB they get it right.

Roddy White is another good example of this. Did he help the 2007 Falcons win games with 83 1200 6? No. They went 4-12. Then they got Matt Ryan and went 11-5.

Right now Sammy's 17 197 2 which over the course of the season looks like 68 800 8.

Fletch
09-28-2014, 09:17 PM
Right now Sammy's 17 197 2 which over the course of the season looks like 68 800 8.

Sounds about right for a 1st round prospect but one that doesn't have the skillset that everyone said that Watkins had.

Fletch
09-28-2014, 09:19 PM
There's a good chance we would be asking this question of any receiver in this league with Manuel throwing it to him.

Right, and Hurns and Evans are having better seasons because of the great QBs they have.

Besides, I thought that Watkins just needed to get the ball and we could all sit back and watch him takeover from there? I don't recall the ridiculously positive things being said about Watkins involving a whole lot of deep throws.

justasportsfan
09-28-2014, 09:33 PM
Ugh. Great WRs shine regardless of who throws them the ball. Look at what Calvin Johnson put up with a QB carousel in Detroit before Matthew Stafford showed up. If Watkins is that good, he'll be able to put up similar numbers over the course of a season.

Calvin's second year he put up 78 for 1331 and 12 TDs. Did that help the 08 Lions win games? No. They went 0-16 that year. Does it help them win games now that there's a capable QB throwing the ball? Yes. That team still has problems but not 2008 glaring problems.

The hope has to be that Watkins is kept around and the next time the franchise re-rolls on a QB they get it right.

Roddy White is another good example of this. Did he help the 2007 Falcons win games with 83 1200 6? No. They went 4-12. Then they got Matt Ryan and went 11-5.

While that is true to a degree, thexqb at least has to throw to the receivers zip code
don't forget what Trent did to TO.

Great qbs make average wrs look better for the.most part.

Can you see the difference between a Tebow led broncos compared to a Peyton led Broncos?

IlluminatusUIUC
09-28-2014, 10:06 PM

Hopkins came out last year, but I see your point.

Woodman
09-28-2014, 10:33 PM
Very simply with a competent QB he might very well be and I'm not to sure about our OC either.

That play and you all know which play I'm referring to was a total bait job, you could see the way they lined it up.

We need more than a QB unfortunately.

This division is a wreck and I would immediately change QB's, I don't know about the rest of you but I've seen enough of EJ.

Fitz is a turnover machine and we still managed to **** it up.

Mr. Pink
09-28-2014, 10:58 PM
Sounds about right for a 1st round prospect but one that doesn't have the skillset that everyone said that Watkins had.

Megatron did 48 756 4 as a rookie.

Mr. Pink
09-28-2014, 11:06 PM
While that is true to a degree, thexqb at least has to throw to the receivers zip code
don't forget what Trent did to TO.

Great qbs make average wrs look better for the.most part.

Can you see the difference between a Tebow led broncos compared to a Peyton led Broncos?

Obviously. There's also a huge difference in how their offenses are structured. They threw the ball 429 times in Tebow's year there meanwhile Peyton Manning completed 400 passes the next year.

But yes a QB like Peyton is going to make WRs look better than pretty much every other QB in the game which is also based on how much they throw the ball compared to running it.

kingJofNYC
09-28-2014, 11:24 PM
That deep cross Manuel missed him on today, that's 30+ yards easy for Sammy if not more. Bottom line, he's getting open, but he's not getting the ball. Also wouldn't hurt if he started to hold on to the tough catches. I mean we all saw the one hand grab and other preseason catches, it's Regular Season Rook, time to step up. If Sammy had a better QB, no question we'd being reaping the benefits, but right now he's not getting the benefit, but his QB also isn't getting the benefit of tough grabs.

Fletch
09-29-2014, 06:59 AM
Megatron did 48 756 4 as a rookie.

Megatron wasn't a gimmick WR in college that made a living off of bubble screens.

THATHURMANATOR
09-29-2014, 07:07 AM
Hopkins wasn't drafted this year.

Novacane
09-29-2014, 07:10 AM

Way to early to say. What would those guys be doing with EJ at QB and Hackett as OC? Obviously we could have gotten a good WR without moving up.

Fletch
09-29-2014, 07:45 AM
Way to early to say. What would those guys be doing with EJ at QB and Hackett as OC? Obviously we could have gotten a good WR without moving up.

At least Evans, Benjamin, and Cooks have been consistent. Watkins hasn't done anything except in the Fins game. He has more yardage in that game, 117 yards, than he does in the other three games combined, 80. He's been insignificant in three of four games. He's not even averaging 10 ypr in the other three games.

I have no idea how anyone can be anything but disappointed, especially since all we heard was about all the damage he'll do once he has the ball in his hands. Not that I believed it, that's a "too good to be true thing" in transition to the NFL, but nevertheless it's what everyone was saying about him, foolish and substantiated or not.

Novacane
09-29-2014, 07:53 AM
There you go with EVERYONE again! You make valid points but I don't even want to discuss with you when you try to emphasize your point by ridicules clam that everyone was claiming something.

DraftBoy
09-29-2014, 08:10 AM
Megatron wasn't a gimmick WR in college that made a living off of bubble screens.

Watkins is projected to do 68-788-8 as of right now.

Fletch
09-29-2014, 08:51 AM
Watkins is projected to do 68-788-8 as of right now.

Funny, that's exactly what I said before week one and a whole lot of people slammed me.

Fletch
09-29-2014, 08:53 AM
There you go with EVERYONE again! You make valid points but I don't even want to discuss with you when you try to emphasize your point by ridicules clam that everyone was claiming something.

LOL

OK, so everytime I don't want you to respond I should just write "everyone?"

Check

Otherwise, try including something to discuss instead of always trying to make it about me. No one appreciates that although a whole lot of people here seem to enjoy doing it as long as my statements haven't been validated yet. Isn't that right.