PDA

View Full Version : I'm not ready to give up on EJ

IlluminatusUIUC
09-28-2014, 10:00 PM
But he must, must be benched. We are still in the "easy" part of our schedule, we cannot afford to be pissing away winnable games. I'm not a huge Orton booster either, I was at the game when he was benched for Tim Tebow of all people. But he can at least play competent football, and with this defense and this division that might be all we need. Let Manuel learn from the pine. That was clearly the plan with Kolb, so go back to it.

RedEyE
09-28-2014, 10:12 PM
I really want to see the kid succeed. I like him. He's well spoken, well mannered. There is something about his presence that seems to scream winner. But the product on the field is indicating something entirely different. This team is primed to win now. The defense is well established. The running game is top ten in the league (when utilized correctly). The WR are young and talented. Special teams aren't bad. I even like the coaches (although I question Hackett's ability).

Marrone has said it himself before, the best player should be on the field despite who it is or what position. I'm curious to see his reaction once he is able to view the game film. I think this kid was thrown to the wolves much too quickly. He should have had a legitimate veteran to learn from. He should have had a QB coach last season. Now the Bills have put him in a position to fail. If they bench him, second chances are slim in the NFL. If they continue to play him, the team is hungry and is weaponed to win today.

No one has the time and patience to wait for EJ to explode into the QB savior he was drafted to be. I think the pressure is getting to him. He's trying to make too much happen and he is breaking down mentally inevitably affecting his progression.

Despite any developmental consequences for EJ, they might want to consider letting Orton play awhile before the season escapes us all.

kingJofNYC
09-28-2014, 10:54 PM
EJ was well over a year from being ready to play QB in this league. Redeye nailed it, no veteran to learn from, no QB coach, no working his way up to become starter. He was forced into action early, I'm not sure benching him is going to do him any good at this point. His confidence is going to crash, and to be frank, like you state, no one has time to wait for him. This staff may be out the door at the end of season, maybe they get desperate and pull him, but Marrone seems loyal to the kid and he doesn't want to destroy him mentally/emotionally, even though each and every egg he lays will crash his confidence further and further.

Just think, all week long he'll be watching that Watt TD on highlight videos, along with seeing Watt named AFC Defensive player of the week.

justasportsfan
09-28-2014, 11:28 PM
Tebow might be a better pssser than Ej

DynaPaul
09-29-2014, 02:55 AM
Whether he sits or not there are some nuances, which cannot be taught, that are absolutely mandatory at the NFL level... Like accuracy for example.

The King
09-29-2014, 05:31 AM
I agree. He needs to sit, even if it's just as a wake-up call. We have a guy who can help us win on the bench.

don137
09-29-2014, 05:48 AM
He needs to be benched. He is worse than he was in college. He would of never been drafted if he played like this at Florida state.
Sit him a few games and learn from the sidelines. The game is way too fast for him right now.

Don't Panic
09-29-2014, 05:51 AM
I still think he has a chance too. While a benching would be tough on his confidence, it may spark the hunger to fight to get the job back. The one who I really blame for this is Hackett. That's the guy who is in over his head right now. He may end up to be OK too but he's not there yet. Enduring the learning curve of both OC and QB has been painful. I think EJ has another start (maybe two) to show he can raise his play a notch and then we have to turn the reins over to Orton.

Novacane
09-29-2014, 05:59 AM
They made a good point on WGR550 this morning. It appears many of the pass plays are predetermined where they are going. If that guys not open EJ just throws it to that guy anyway. They obviously don't trust him. To keep sending him out there is idiotic. They must all want to be fired.

Skooby
09-29-2014, 06:05 AM
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6-oHYYaw9jA

Thunderkyss
09-29-2014, 06:25 AM
I don't have a dog in this race. I'm not a Bills' fan (more like a sympathizer), I don't care for Florida State, & I didn't know Ej Manuel until he came into the league. But I think he's developing just fine, considering...

EJ was well over a year from being ready to play QB in this league. Redeye nailed it, no veteran to learn from, no QB coach, no working his way up to become starter. He was forced into action early, I'm not sure benching him is going to do him any good at this point. His confidence is going to crash, and to be frank, like you state, no one has time to wait for him. This staff may be out the door at the end of season, maybe they get desperate and pull him, but Marrone seems loyal to the kid and he doesn't want to destroy him mentally/emotionally, even though each and every egg he lays will crash his confidence further and further.

The bolded is the biggest problem the Bills face. There are several teams out there that have had 3 or 4 coaches in the last 10 years & they're all festering around the bottom of the league, looks like they can never get it right.

I think the Bills are in a good spot for the right coaching staff to really do something, Like when the 49ers hired Harbaugh. Nolan & Singletary built a fine team, if Singletary didn't fall apart, he could have been the guy to lead the 49ers to NFC Championship games & a Super Bowl appearance.

I do like Marrone, I like Schwartz as a DC. I Like your defensive front 4, I like your RBs, your WR, & your QB... I wouldn't be surprised if the Bills becomes the dominant team in the AFC East very soon.

justasportsfan
09-29-2014, 08:59 AM
But he must, must be benched.
like Aaron Rogers was. 2-3 years?

Forward_Lateral
09-29-2014, 09:45 AM
They made a good point on WGR550 this morning. It appears many of the pass plays are predetermined where they are going. If that guys not open EJ just throws it to that guy anyway. They obviously don't trust him. To keep sending him out there is idiotic. They must all want to be fired.

It's because he panics when option 1 isn't there, and doesn't know how to go through his reads quickly. You can't afford to constantly miss wide open guys.

IlluminatusUIUC
09-29-2014, 10:02 AM
like Aaron Rogers was. 2-3 years?

Yes, there are certainly players who have benefited from learning from the bench. I'm usually for having a guy play and learn on the field, but not at the expense of what IMO could be our first playoff trip this century. He's had two offseasons with this coaching staff, the defense has kept him in every game, the offense is as simplified as an NFL offense can possibly get. And he's still playing completely awful. If the rest of the team was bad, I'd say let him play (like the Raiders are doing with Carr) but we aren't.