X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RedEyE
    • Jul 2002

Adam Schefter Sept. 7th Report About Benching EJ

Can't tell if this is Schefter making assumptions here or if there was serious debate to this idea with the Bills the start of the season.

"Don't be surprised if the Bills bench EJ Manuel sooner rather than later in favor of Kyle Orton, says ESPN's Adam Schefter.

We're still more than an hour away from the kickoff of the Buffalo Bills' first game of the 2014 season, and reports are already surfacing that the team is ready to pull the plug on their starting quarterback when necessary.

ESPN's Adam Schefter reported on Sunday morning that, per a league source, the Bills will not hesitate to turn their offense over to veteran Kyle Orton should EJ Manuel play his way out of the lineup.

Buffalo's EJ Manuel and Ryan Fitzpatrick already on hot seat. Their teams won't hesitate to turn to backup QBs, Kyle Orton and Ryan Mallett.
    — Adam Schefter (@AdamSchefter) September 7, 2014
    This is particularly surprising news, if true, mostly because Orton has barely been with the team a week at this point. More notable, of course, is the fact that Manuel has not even played a full season's worth of regular season games since the Bills made him the first quarterback they'd ever taken with their top first-round pick in franchise history.

It's yet another indication - on top of reports of front office division and the ongoing sale of the team - that the current Bills regime is, quite frankly, flat-out desperate to win in 2014."
  • RedEyE
    • Jul 2002

Re: Adam Schefter Sept. 7th Report About Benching EJ

Marrone is a straight shooter that has openly stated several times that every position on the roster is continuously open for starting competition.

I have to imagine that once he has time to sit down and seriously review the tape he will also see that EJ is sliding into regression. And it's somewhat a trend as it also happened last season. Maybe not to this degree but the trend is there none the less.

He did state last night that he felt that if they were throwing the ball as often as they were against Houston that it's not good for the offense (horrible attempt at paraphrase).

This tells me that Marrone was not happy with the play calling and that he is not very confident right now in leaving the game in EJs hands.

I wouldn't be shocked if Marrone makes Orton QB1 and politicizes the move by giving EJ some time to develop off the field. Remember he sent EJ to the booth with Hackett last season too while EJ nursed his jnee and Lewis took the helm. I have to think he will do what needs to be done to win and that has to be giving the veteran journeyman an opportunity.
    Last edited by RedEyE; 09-29-2014, 06:37 AM.

Comment

• Novacane
      • Jul 2002

I hope so. EJ's in over his head. Any confidence he may have had has got to be gone. I think his play only gets worse if he stays in the lineup

Comment

• blackonyx89
        HI I AM A FREAKING LIONS FAN
        • Mar 2005

Originally posted by Novacane View Post
        I hope so. EJ's in over his head. Any confidence he may have had has got to be gone. I think his play only gets worse if he stays in the lineup
        He is psychologically soft when it comes to running an NFL offense and the offensive coaching staff is woefully under utilizing their offensive weapons. EJ is definitely handcuffing this team with his lackluster play.
        Let's Go Bills, make it happen!!!

Comment

• justasportsfan
          • Jul 2002

Marrone was asked if he thought of putting Orton in during the game, he said NO!

DM.jpg
          sacrifice1
          https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• k-oneputt
            • Jun 2009

Originally posted by justasportsfan View Post
            Marrone was asked if he thought of putting Orton in during the game, he said NO!

[ATTACH]17134[/ATTACH]
            Then he is either flat out lying or he is dumb and waiting to get fired.

I think it is a lie to protect EJ. They have had to discuss it.

Comment

• BADTHINGSMAN
              • Oct 2002

NFL Insider just said that Manuel out and Orton in.

Comment

• YardRat
                Well, lookie here...
                • Dec 2004

Rappaport just reported starting EJ out of the gate last season was never the plan to begin with, and Kolb's injury coupled with lack of available FA's at that time forced their hand.

If true, this is right where the team was headed with their plan anyway, with EJ developing from the bench behind a vet FA.
                YardRat Wall of Fame
                #56 DARRYL TALLEY
                #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

Working...
                X