PDA

View Full Version : Way too early, hypothetical scenario - you make the call

trapezeus
09-29-2014, 11:15 AM
This is really just for fun based. Not to argue if ej is or not good. we have other threads going for that.

Let's presume that EJ is on the path to not being a viable starter for next season.
Let's assume that the bills can not trade back up into the first because it would be very expensive

This would leave the bills with a second round pick, presumably high, and a need for qb.

The questions:

- Do you think Jameis Winston falls to the second round?
- Do you think he's an accurate passer
- And if he is available when the bills are on the clock, would you take him based on the defense we have now (good, but needs a capable offense to put up points)

Ginger Vitis
09-29-2014, 11:23 AM
1)No
2)Yes
3)Yes

yordad
09-29-2014, 11:31 AM
No. Yes. Yes.

The Jokeman
09-29-2014, 11:36 AM
This is really just for fun based. Not to argue if ej is or not good. we have other threads going for that.

Let's presume that EJ is on the path to not being a viable starter for next season.
Let's assume that the bills can not trade back up into the first because it would be very expensive

This would leave the bills with a second round pick, presumably high, and a need for qb.

The questions:

- Do you think Jameis Winston falls to the second round?
- Do you think he's an accurate passer
- And if he is available when the bills are on the clock, would you take him based on the defense we have now (good, but needs a capable offense to put up points)

No.
If you base it on completion percentage yes but honestly I don't watch FSU football enough to say yes or no.
No.

As I don't see us a QB away. I see we have holes at OG and TE on offense too but also worried about this defense as Kyle Williams isn't a spring chicken, might lose Hughes as an UFA and questions at starting CB. As with the new NFL "moral" rules I am very reserved in taking Winston. Yet I doubt he'd be available to us in Round 2 as think a QB needy team (see the Jets or Tampa) would take him in the mid to late 1st Round. Right now as things are I'd say OG AJ Cann a guy to consider drafting but with Chris Williams large salary and the developing of Richardson could see us a CB. I'd love TE Devin Funchess fall to us but doubt he falls.

Dr. Who
09-29-2014, 11:45 AM
My answer is no, yes, no. Someone will take a chance on him in the first round.
Love his on-field game, but I think he has rocks for brains off-field. I basically agree with The Jokeman.
How about Shane Carden, the East Carolina qb?

Still hope EJ turns it around, but I'm feeling much less hopeful.

ICRockets
09-29-2014, 11:51 AM
I think Winston would have to jump on a few more tables to fall to the 2nd. Personally, I'm looking at Brett Hundley from UCLA as a possible 2nd round target.

jlgarsh
09-29-2014, 01:01 PM
Qbs I like, without regard to draft position (yes I understand some will be gone before we pick) Bryce Petty, Conner Cook, Shane Carden, Sean Mannion, Marcus Mariotta, among others. Let's hope one falls to the 2nd round or late 1st.

OpIv37
09-29-2014, 01:46 PM
Let's face it: when the Bills traded up for Watkins, they committed to two years of EJ.

I don think they have a plan with what to do if EJ completely tanks. They either thought EJ is good enough the. It wasn't a problem, or they were so enamored with Watkins that they didn't think it through. Either way, there is little to no chance of finding the answer at QB in 2015 without a first round pick.

Oh, and if EJ doesn't improve fast, we won't have a QB til 2016 then he'll take 2 years to develop and we just wasted Watkins' entire first contract. He'll put up huge numbers for the last year and then walk.

DesertFox24
09-29-2014, 02:01 PM
Hysterical everyone keeps saying once we draft a new QB it will take two years to determine if he has ability, yet after 14 games EJ is a bust.

Look the guy has played terrible for two games and well enough in two games. All that aside the OL is not helping much and he did have three drops on would be first down catches to WRs.

I am not defending the guy but I am stating an obvious fact.

He is seeing some different things and hopefully he can learn and know how to attack and process better.

The one bright spot is he is at least getting through his reads and finding the correct and open target more times than not (Tom Brady does not throw to the correct spot or open WR every time either).

He is still aiming the ball instead of just firing it in there I can only hope with confidence and learning himself that will stop that, but time will tell.

Lastly, we all said 9 wins was probably our ceiling this year and we are 2-2. Jets and phins are terrible as well so potentially another 3 wins, Oakland is worst team in the league, Cleveland cannot stop the run. That is 5 right there and I did not even count the Minn game in Buffalo, the chiefs, or pats.

The season by no stretch is over especially with the way our defense and run game is playing. no doubt EJ and the OL have to be better and I am sure they will say the same thing as they did yesterday.

ICRockets
09-29-2014, 02:38 PM
Either way, there is little to no chance of finding the answer at QB in 2015 without a first round pick.

This could not be more wrong.

OpIv37
09-29-2014, 03:44 PM
This could not be more wrong.

Yeah, everyone thinks that because of Peyton Manning, good QB's can be coin in trade or FA. Everyone thinks that because of Wilson and Kapernick, good QB's can be found in the 2nd or 3rd round of the draft.

Well, there is no sure fire way of getting a QB and there have been a lot of first round busts, but it's still the most common way to find a franchise QB by far.

If yiu really think the same guys that thought EJ was widths first round pick can find a starting QB in the second or third round, you're delusional.

trapezeus
09-29-2014, 03:51 PM
Hysterical everyone keeps saying once we draft a new QB it will take two years to determine if he has ability, yet after 14 games EJ is a bust.

Look the guy has played terrible for two games and well enough in two games. All that aside the OL is not helping much and he did have three drops on would be first down catches to WRs.

I am not defending the guy but I am stating an obvious fact.

He is seeing some different things and hopefully he can learn and know how to attack and process better.

The one bright spot is he is at least getting through his reads and finding the correct and open target more times than not (Tom Brady does not throw to the correct spot or open WR every time either).

He is still aiming the ball instead of just firing it in there I can only hope with confidence and learning himself that will stop that, but time will tell.

Lastly, we all said 9 wins was probably our ceiling this year and we are 2-2. Jets and phins are terrible as well so potentially another 3 wins, Oakland is worst team in the league, Cleveland cannot stop the run. That is 5 right there and I did not even count the Minn game in Buffalo, the chiefs, or pats.

The season by no stretch is over especially with the way our defense and run game is playing. no doubt EJ and the OL have to be better and I am sure they will say the same thing as they did yesterday.

for a bills team that has been in games and still in the AFC East run, a change is a comment to win right now. And they have no other choice if they don't want to give up a high pick to cleveland.

regardless of how this season ends, i think Whaley is under the most fire. he didn't have a good qb, he wasted a following year's pick on a guy who can't overcome ej's weaknesses, and he fought with the coaches to stay with EJ.

if orton looks ok, how can you trust him to pick the next qb next year. there is no way 2015 can go in with Orton and EJ alone. I'm saying that even if the bills make the playoffs. i don't think orton will inspire that the team is building to get to a superbowl. he'd have to have a level of excellence that i frankly don't think is in him.

Novacane
09-29-2014, 03:53 PM
Yeah, everyone thinks that because of Peyton Manning, good QB's can be coin in trade or FA. Everyone thinks that because of Wilson and Kapernick, good QB's can be found in the 2nd or 3rd round of the draft.

Well, there is no sure fire way of getting a QB and there have been a lot of first round busts, but it's still the most common way to find a franchise QB by far.

If yiu really think the same guys that thought EJ was widths first round pick can find a starting QB in the second or third round, you're delusional.

We could get lucky. That's all Bills fans are left with.