Do guys drinking beer on Sundays understand game management more than the "pros"?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Homegrown
    Havin' a ball ... rollin' to the bottom
    • Jul 2008

Do guys drinking beer on Sundays understand game management more than the "pros"?

I honestly think I understand ‘game management’ sitting on couch drinking a beer more than the “pros” who work in the profession.
    The score: Houston 17 – Bills 10.

4th Quarter. Bills have a 3 & 8 on their 3-yard line. They mismanage the clock, and call a time out before the play is called.

Why not take the delay of game? … because of the field position, it would have only moved the line of scrimmage back by 1.5 yards … why take a time out to save 1.5 yards?

This is particularly confusing to me because they didn’t learn their lesson after burning two timeouts in a row during their 1st possession of the 2nd Quarter.

Uhgg…
  • YardRat
    Well, lookie here...
    • Dec 2004

Re: Do guys drinking beer on Sundays understand game management more than the "pros"?

That's on EJ...part of the learning curve, just like the safety last week against San Diego.
    YardRat Wall of Fame
    #56 DARRYL TALLEY
    #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• better days
      • Jan 2010

Re: Do guys drinking beer on Sundays understand game management more than the "pros"?

Originally posted by Homegrown View Post
      I honestly think I understand ‘game management’ sitting on couch drinking a beer more than the “pros” who work in the profession.

4th Quarter. Bills have a 3 & 8 on their 3-yard line. They mismanage the clock, and call a time out before the play is called.

Why not take the delay of game? … because of the field position, it would have only moved the line of scrimmage back by 1.5 yards … why take a time out to save 1.5 yards?

This is particularly confusing to me because they didn’t learn their lesson after burning two timeouts in a row during their 1st possession of the 2nd Quarter.

Uhgg…
      And at the end of the game, instead of spiking the ball to save time, EJ throws for no gain, wasting valuable time, then spikes the ball, time & down wasted.

Comment

• Buffalogic
        Rumblin' Stumblin' Bumblin'
        • Feb 2006

I do.

Comment

• Night Train
          Retired - On Several Levels
          • Jul 2005

It depends what beer you were drinking.

Microbrew = Intelligent

Bud Light = Idiot
          Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• IlluminatusUIUC
            • Sep 2012

- - - Updated - - -

http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_slatest/2014/09/29/study_beer_makes_your_head_more_smartest.html

Billszone 2013 Prediction Contest winner!

Comment

• RedEyE
              • Jul 2002

It seems that way but don't forget you're sitting there with a bird's eye view of everything going on including several camera angles with the clock in the corner of the screen. We don't have to gameplan, coach, prep for the media, meet with players, scouts and coaches, deal with several personality types, adjust the game on the fly, discuss isues with the game officials, all the while having a headset pinned to your ears and comments blaring back and forth.

Its a different game on the field.

Comment

• imbondz
                Democrats are people too
                • Jan 2003

Originally posted by RedEyE View Post
                It seems that way but don't forget you're sitting there with a bird's eye view of everything going on including several camera angles with the clock in the corner of the screen. We don't have to gameplan, coach, prep for the media, meet with players, scouts and coaches, deal with several personality types, adjust the game on the fly, discuss isues with the game officials, all the while having a headset pinned to your ears and comments blaring back and forth.

Its a different game on the field.

good point. but...when you take in the fact we've been drinking your point becomes a push.
                My faith doesn’t make me perfect, it makes me forgiven.

Comment

• coastal
                  Legendary Zoner
                  • Mar 2005

As a coach... it's so different in the middle of the storm than it is watching from the security of the stands.

i'll leave it at that.

Comment

• better days
                    • Jan 2010

Originally posted by Night Train View Post
                    It depends what beer you were drinking.

Microbrew = Pretentious snob, happy to over pay for mediocre beer. AKA as SUCKER.

Bud Light = Idiot
                    Molson / Labatts = Intelligent

Comment

• Meathead
                      Insufferable prick and perpetual crybaby
                      • Jul 2002

bud = married to your sister
                      One set of rules for all in the beloved community

Comment

• RedEyE
                        • Jul 2002

Originally posted by imbondz View Post
                        good point. but...when you take in the fact we've been drinking your point becomes a push.
                        LMAO!

I take things too seriously at times.

Comment

• imbondz
                          Democrats are people too
                          • Jan 2003

Originally posted by Homegrown View Post

Uhgg…

So if you're inside the 5 yard line, and get a delay of game, the ball only goes back to the 5 yrd line? Not 5 yards back from wherever the ball is?
                          My faith doesn’t make me perfect, it makes me forgiven.

Comment

• jamze132
                            Don’t hate…
                            • Jun 2003

Wanna talk about game management? When you're a QB running a 2-min drill with no timeouts, you DO NOT check down to a covered RB because no one downfield is open. You either throw it away or move around to try an give a WR a chance to break free. You DO NOT check down where the RB has no chance of getting out of bounds.

Seeing EJ continuously do that leads me to believe that he is playing scared and at this point just wants completions, regardless of whether or not it makes sense.

Comment

• jimmifli
                              • Nov 2006

Originally posted by imbondz View Post
                              So if you're inside the 5 yard line, and get a delay of game, the ball only goes back to the 5 yrd line? Not 5 yards back from wherever the ball is?
                              Half the distance to the goal.

Comment

Working...
                              X