WagonCircler
09-29-2014, 02:04 PM
Thank God.

Pinkerton Security
09-29-2014, 02:05 PM
yay. I cant imagine Orton will be any worse so this is a good thing lol

SeatownBillsFan21
09-29-2014, 02:06 PM
Wow I applaud the coaching staff for the balls to make the switch to Orton. Now let's hope it works out.

billsburgh
09-29-2014, 02:06 PM
I'm surprised Marrone had the stones to do this. I thought for sure he would be too stubborn to make the move

DesertFox24
09-29-2014, 02:07 PM
I am actually dissappointed in this.

Maybe it saves this season but it is going to destroy EJs development.

I wonder if they are doing this because of next years first rounder and the thought of giving up anything better than a 15 overall is killing them, only reason to make this move.

coastal
It wasn't Marrone that needed convincing.

brandon and Whaley on the other hand...

Night Train
All over ESPN .

The savior is here!

X-Era
09-29-2014, 02:08 PM
Ugh... More perpetual mediocrity.

It's a curse at this point.

And there isn't anyone in the 2015 draft that looks to be Luck even if we had a pick to get him.

Mr. Pink
Holy crap.

They actually made a move that made NFL sense?

Manuel's career is over.

coastal

I wonder if they are doing this because of next years first rounder and the thought of giving up anything better than a 15 overall is killing them, only reason to make this move.can you explain how holding a clip board and learning from a vet destroys his development?

k-oneputt
There is a God.

Can't be worse.

justasportsfan
I'm surprised Marrone had the stones to do this.

His job in on the line. He needs Orton to do be ready for when Pegula attends his first game as the owner vs. the PAts.

EDS
09-29-2014, 02:09 PM
Too early to give EJ the hook in my opinion.

justasportsfan

It didn't ruin Rogers' development.

X-Era

I wonder if they are doing this because of next years first rounder and the thought of giving up anything better than a 15 overall is killing them, only reason to make this move.

Nothing exciting as far as QB prospect in the 2015 draft. No Lucks. At best we land some guy with a question mark that somehow overcomes it... Ugh

RedEyE
Not surprised. Marrone stands by his words. You can't hold every other position and player accountable and let the QB float.

Novacane
09-29-2014, 02:10 PM
A team mutiny forced this move. I'd bet money on it.

X-Era
09-29-2014, 02:11 PM
Too early to give EJ the hook in my opinion.
I actually agree.

The only reason I could agree with this move at all is that EJ may have become too complacent... I originally liked his mental fortitude... could be a bad thing too.

DesertFox24
09-29-2014, 02:12 PM
can you explain how holding a clip board and learning from a vet destroys his development?

I think he needs to play.

That being said 3 new starters on the OL two of which are rookies and two new WRs would be a lot for any young QB to overcome. Maybe Orton will do a better job of managing the game and we can see EJ in a few weeks once the OL gets their stuff together.

casdhf
Orton started a few days as a rookie and lost his job the next season. He eventually re-claimed it, I think.

colin

once again we agree. did you predict this (i talked about it, but not sure if you did as well). if you did, the nostradamuscane name might really stick!

The King
09-29-2014, 02:13 PM
It wasn't Marrone that needed convincing.

brandon and Whaley on the other hand...

This.

Novacane
09-29-2014, 02:13 PM

If being benched destroys him then he is a wimp and never would of developed. The reason to make this move is because they think they can win now. The draft pick is gone. The only ones who care where what # it ends up being are the Browns.

DesertFox24
09-29-2014, 02:14 PM
Nothing exciting as far as QB prospect in the 2015 draft. No Lucks. At best we land some guy with a question mark that somehow overcomes it... Ugh

The best is probably the Hogan guy from Stanford in teh second round.

I Knew we were drafting a QB this year was just hoping to be in round 4 or later.

Just sucks that EJ gets 14 games and now he is done, I really hoped he would be the guy.

Also Aaron Rogers sat for 3 years behind a HOF, if Orton was a HOF then that is a different discussion and he would still be in Chicago.

ParanoidAndroid
09-29-2014, 02:14 PM

Wouldn't that simply be a consequence of winning? So, maybe they're doing it to try to win games. :idunno:

JoeMama
09-29-2014, 02:15 PM
Orton for EJ http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q263/JoeMama025/yess2.gif (http://s138.photobucket.com/user/JoeMama025/media/yess2.gif.html)

ZAZusmc03
09-29-2014, 02:16 PM

I'm with you on this. I believe this is the main reason for benching him. His receivers and team has given up on him.

The King
09-29-2014, 02:17 PM
EJ was going to have to play damn near perfect to not lose his job to Orton. This is what Marrone prepared for, this is what they paid him for. This gives us the best chance to win.

notacon
09-29-2014, 02:18 PM
Orton sucks. Not saying it's a bad decision...just don't get your hope up. Orton sucks. He's always sucked and always will suck.

JoeMama
09-29-2014, 02:19 PM
Now I just want to hear Doug Marrone do his best Dick Vermeil impression and say it.

“We will rally around Kyle Orton, and we will play good football.”

I'm stoked for the Lions game.

notacon
09-29-2014, 02:21 PM
Oh...Sammy Watkins sucks too. He's not looking like he's was worth one first round pick, much less two.

He better pick up his game before he's got bust written on his grave.

JoeMama
09-29-2014, 02:26 PM
Orton sucks. Not saying it's a bad decision...just don't get your hope up. Orton sucks. He's always sucked and always will suck.

Lighten up, Francis.

You make it sound like Kyle Orton is the suckiest suck who ever sucked. And that's so off target it's not worth debating. His career stats tell a different tale.

He's above average and that's all a defensive team with a pair of good RBs needs to succeed.

Time to party. With or without the EJ fanboys.

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q263/JoeMama025/jammin2.gif (http://s138.photobucket.com/user/JoeMama025/media/jammin2.gif.html)

SpikedLemonade
09-29-2014, 02:31 PM

So Orton is now Favre?

Night Train
09-29-2014, 02:33 PM

Remember the blow up at the end of camp ? It was Marrone telling Whaley he wanted Orton because he had huge doubts about all 3 camp QB's.

He felt the pulse of the roster, little doubt. No surprise at all.

justasportsfan
09-29-2014, 02:34 PM
“We can’t keep going in the direction that we’re going,” Marrone said.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/09/29/bills-bench-e-j-manuel-go-with-kyle-orton-at-qb/

"Kyle Orton is our starting QB right now," Marrone said, via the team. "We need more overall production from that position. ... We came in today, looked at the tape, and made a decision that gives us the best opportunity to win."

Marrone added, "We have a playoff caliber team, this gives us the best opportunity to win," which is a seemingly absurd observation to make moments after you declare Orton as your starting quarterback. But the Bills are 2-2, right in the thick of things in the AFC East, and Orton does, in fact, give the team the best chance to win

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/24730796/bills-replace-qb-ej-manuel-with-kyle-orton

justasportsfan
09-29-2014, 02:37 PM
I actually agree.

The only reason I could agree with this move at all is that EJ may have become too complacent... I originally liked his mental fortitude... could be a bad thing too.

Brees was also benched in favor of Flutie. Brees bounced back. If this doesn't light the fire under Ej's butt , nothing will.

Bill Cody
09-29-2014, 02:40 PM
NFL head coaches are like the most competitive people on the planet. No doubt watching the tape of that game must have made Marrone's head explode. EJ played very poorly. He really benched himself.

streetkings01
09-29-2014, 02:42 PM
It didn't ruin Rogers' development.Or Rivers

better days
09-29-2014, 02:54 PM
I actually agree.

EJ gave credit to Watt for making a great play on the pick 6.

But EJ took no responsibility for making that stupid throw.

I think it is time for him to acknowledge his mistakes.

BertSquirtgum
09-29-2014, 02:56 PM
Anyone that thinks it was too early too pull EJ is an idiot and likes to watch their football team lose games.

streetkings01
09-29-2014, 03:01 PM
Nothing exciting as far as QB prospect in the 2015 draft. No Lucks. At best we land some guy with a question mark that somehow overcomes it... UghThere actually hasn't been a cant miss QB in the draft since Peyton Manning. Guys like Luck and Manning come around every 10-15 years.

justasportsfan
09-29-2014, 03:02 PM
Also Aaron Rogers sat for 3 years behind a HOF, if Orton was a HOF then that is a different discussion and he would still be in Chicago.

Kurt Warner was behind Trent Green. He didn't need a HOF qb to show him the ropes. Brees has Flutie to learn from and we all know Flutie sucks as a teammate.

We all knew EJ was a project, we didn't know he was that big of a project.

BertSquirtgum
09-29-2014, 03:05 PM
So Orton is now Favre?

We know you want EJ to play so the Bills keep losing so you and feltch can keeping ****ting all over the board. Go to the Argonauts forums.

DynaPaul
09-29-2014, 03:05 PM
I'm shocked but very happy. I was totally convinced that the only way EJ would lose his job would be from an injury because they have so much invested in him. They proved me wrong and I'm happy to eat any crow. I expect improvements from the passing game now that Orton is starting. He's not going to be our savior and probably just average as a starter but at least he can complete an accurate throw and is better than what we were getting.

Buffalogic
09-29-2014, 03:06 PM
Thank god. Good riddance EJ.

don137
09-29-2014, 03:08 PM
EJ's career is not over. He is lacking confidence and appears overwhelmed right now. He was not getting better. Maybe he just needs some time to calm down take a deep breathe, analyze what he is doing wrong, learn from Orton and learn how to be a better QB. Throwing him back in the fire right now with him making bad decision after bad decision will not make him better.

better days
09-29-2014, 03:11 PM
I'm shocked but very happy. I was totally convinced that the only way EJ would lose his job would be from an injury because they have so much invested in him. They proved me wrong and I'm happy to eat any crow. I expect improvements from the passing game now that Orton is starting. He's not going to be our savior and probably just average as a starter but at least he can complete an accurate throw and is better than what we were getting.

I now have hope the Bills can win in Detroit.

I look forward to going to my friends house next Sunday to watch the game, before the Qb change was announced, I was dreading it.

justasportsfan
09-29-2014, 03:14 PM
EJ's career is not over. He is lacking confidence and appears overwhelmed right now.

I agree. I think the NFL is too fast for him right now. He seems lost and rattled when his first read isn't open.

trapezeus
09-29-2014, 03:14 PM
the organization is playing for their jobs right now. i'm fairly certain whaley is fine with the move. maybe he'd fight about it if he didn't make the watkins trade. but the team can not give up at top 5 pick. and the way the ej show is going, they will look like complete asses for going all in to make the playoffs (something that was stupid to begin with), and then have the bottom out year with their QB and their bad trade.

Pegula firing brandon or having an elaborate party celebrating brandon and thanking him for his service as he moves to another part of Pegula enterprises would be the first great move to know this kind of nonsense is behind us.

if we didn't make that trade, i would have rather seen EJ crash and burn, or rise to the occasion in a full sesaon. but seeing that we can not hand over a high pick to cleveland, this is the year to enjoy going 8-8, if that's possible.

kind of like how the islanders are hardly building for the future. they are just building to not finish dead last and look like idiots.

EDS
09-29-2014, 03:19 PM
Since Kelly's retirement the organization has been far too quick to pull its young QBs (Collins, Losman, Edwards, Manuel) and far too enamored with journeyman veterans (Flutie, Holcomb, Fitzpatrick, Orton).

SpikedLemonade
09-29-2014, 03:19 PM
the organization is playing for their jobs right now. i'm fairly certain whaley is fine with the move. maybe he'd fight about it if he didn't make the watkins trade. but the team can not give up at top 5 pick. and the way the ej show is going, they will look like complete asses for going all in to make the playoffs (something that was stupid to begin with), and then have the bottom out year with their QB and their bad trade.

Pegula firing brandon or having an elaborate party celebrating brandon and thanking him for his service as he moves to another part of Pegula enterprises would be the first great move to know this kind of nonsense is behind us.

if we didn't make that trade, i would have rather seen EJ crash and burn, or rise to the occasion in a full sesaon. but seeing that we can not hand over a high pick to cleveland, this is the year to enjoy going 8-8, if that's possible.

kind of like how the islanders are hardly building for the future. they are just building to not finish dead last and look like idiots.

Why can't you just be happy like the homers to just still have a team in Buffalo?

Why must you insist on winning?

better days
09-29-2014, 03:22 PM
Why can't you just be happy like the homers to just still have a team in Buffalo?

Great post TROLL.

So sorry for you, but the Bills are STAYING in Buffalo.

You & Bon Jovi can EAT IT.

Mr. Cynical
09-29-2014, 03:22 PM
can you explain how holding a clip board and learning from a vet destroys his development?

+1

chris66
09-29-2014, 03:37 PM
Lighten up, Francis.

You make it sound like Kyle Orton is the suckiest suck who ever sucked. And that's so off target it's not worth debating. His career stats tell a different tale.

He's above average and that's all a defensive team with a pair of good RBs needs to succeed.

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q263/JoeMama025/jammin2.gif (http://s138.photobucket.com/user/JoeMama025/media/jammin2.gif.html)Above avg QB's dont bounce from team to team. EJ's confidence is shot. The Doug's both know their time is done. this reeks of desperation

trapezeus
09-29-2014, 03:37 PM

not really a homer vs realist comment.

we all want to win, excluding the real trolls on the board (they just want to be right with zero interest in the team doing well).

this situation created by the trade has created a situation where someone will lose their job for making a trade and then havinga very bad season. and most of us don't want the games multiple times. but what i saw, the bills d was good enough to win that game. they made one huge error on the TD. an entire unit can't be expected to play 100% every single game.

if the bills could tank this year and have a pick, and have a good class to pick from, i'd rather see EJ keep trying to develop and get a good pick if he doesn't.

as our situation actually is, we can not hand overa top 5 pick. 7-9 and better takes a lot of blame away from the coaches. They get to say, "we don't have a qb." it becomes very difficult for whaley to stay. it should have been impossible for brandon about 8 years ago, but he seems to have a job for life.

and i am frankly terrified that he put language in the sale to keep his position. He's a wanker.

trapezeus
09-29-2014, 03:44 PM
Above avg QB's dont bounce from team to team. EJ's confidence is shot. The Doug's both know their time is done. this reeks of desperation

i actually think this gives marrone the upper hand. "i can show you film of what we called and what ej did. players are open. space is created. it's on this player. i was just a rookie coach with limited personnel input. but look, i have a staff that can gameplan and perform well."

Whaley really is the one who looks foolish and desperate. he took ej in a bad class. perhaps he can claim that scenario was thrust on him when he had "no input" ( i don't think he sat there as a quiet soldier during the nix regime). the bills left that as a gaping hole with fitz. they should have had a qb or two devleoping during his 4 years in buffalo. but whaley doubled down for ej by trying to give him better receivers. and it didn't work.

marrone, if he does better with orton, will have solidified his image as a decent coach who gets it and "i got stuck with a gm who didnt". he has his shouting matches to show that he wanted to do something else.

if we were like any other team in the league, whaley is in the process of losing his job. even if orton gets him to the playoffs like his stated goal, they'll have done it at a key position that he didn't prepare for accurately. no one wants to start 2015 with orton even if he is moderately successful and why should whaley get another chance on finding a qb when he's been with the team for a while and they never found one with his time here? I don't see how he bounces back.

chris66
09-29-2014, 03:57 PM
i actually think this gives marrone the upper hand. "i can show you film of what we called and what ej did. players are open. space is created. it's on this player. i was just a rookie coach with limited personnel input. but look, i have a staff that can gameplan and perform well."

Whaley really is the one who looks foolish and desperate. he took ej in a bad class. perhaps he can claim that scenario was thrust on him when he had "no input" ( i don't think he sat there as a quiet soldier during the nix regime). the bills left that as a gaping hole with fitz. they should have had a qb or two devleoping during his 4 years in buffalo. but whaley doubled down for ej by trying to give him better receivers. and it didn't work.

marrone, if he does better with orton, will have solidified his image as a decent coach who gets it and "i got stuck with a gm who didnt". he has his shouting matches to show that he wanted to do something else.

if we were like any other team in the league, whaley is in the process of losing his job. even if orton gets him to the playoffs like his stated goal, they'll have done it at a key position that he didn't prepare for accurately. no one wants to start 2015 with orton even if he is moderately successful and why should whaley get another chance on finding a qb when he's been with the team for a while and they never found one with his time here? I don't see how he bounces back.GM's never go before first time coaches do. Whaley is safe marrone is out the door, or they both go together.Unless the bills miraculously go on a tear (which I dont see)Marrone is good as gone.

We are talking about a QB who lost his job to Tim Tebow

Albany,n.y.
09-29-2014, 03:58 PM
Since Kelly's retirement the organization has been far too quick to pull its young QBs (Collins, Losman, Edwards, Manuel) and far too enamored with journeyman veterans (Flutie, Holcomb, Fitzpatrick, Orton).

Those 4 young QBs should never have started in the 1st place, and JP & EJ should never have been 1st round picks. Only Collins did anything and that was after about a decade & a half in mothballs. He then quickly went back into oblivion. It's never too early to pull a bust. They don't need more time, they need a different profession. How about this: since Kelly's retirement the organization has drafted nothing but bad QBs and has been forced to pull them when they proved they couldn't play in the NFL (this exempts Collins since he was drafted before Kelly retired & actually had a decent half season in Washington in his 30s). They replaced these bums with journeymen veterans who stabilized the QB position in spite of each one's own mediocrity.

Meathead
09-29-2014, 03:59 PM
yay. I cant imagine Orton will be any worse so this is a good thing lol

FAMOUS

LAST

WORDS

Meathead
09-29-2014, 04:01 PM
Manuel's career is over.

oh cmon. its not like hes the first young qb to get benched. with some time to sit he gets relieved of the constant pressure and can get his head on straight. its quite possible he is much better the next time he gets the chance to play

The Jokeman
09-29-2014, 04:03 PM

There's a difference between sitting and not seeing the field for three years and playing your first season and four games and than getting the hook. That said in today's NFL where 1st Rounders don't get mega contracts it may not hurt this team long term but time will tell.

chris66
09-29-2014, 04:04 PM
oh cmon. its not like hes the first young qb to get benched. with some time to sit he gets relieved of the constant pressure and can get his head on straight. its quite possible he is much better the next time he gets the chance to playthat doesnt happen often and if it does it usually happens with another team. EJ's career in Blo is pretty much over

Dr. Who
09-29-2014, 04:06 PM

God, I'd love to see the Islanders somehow finish dead last.

If I was God, of course, the Bills would have Andrew Luck and the Sabres would end up with McDavid and Eichel.

Famous Amos
09-29-2014, 04:08 PM
Thank God.

God had nothing to do with this. He's not a Bills fan.

Mr. Pink
09-29-2014, 04:10 PM
oh cmon. its not like hes the first young qb to get benched. with some time to sit he gets relieved of the constant pressure and can get his head on straight. its quite possible he is much better the next time he gets the chance to play

He'll do the same thing every other first round bust QB does...he'll bounce to a team or two to sit on the bench and then end up out of the league.

feldspar
09-29-2014, 04:34 PM
Makes all the sense in the world to me. After all, I watched the last two Bills games. Good lord, Manuel was beyond bad.

Meathead
09-29-2014, 04:44 PM
perhaps. but its waaay too early for that. bills would be foolish to let him go now (ie. after the season) so thats not gonna happen

orton is fitz 1.0, or would it be 2.0 since fitz was here first? anyway, those guys are below average qbs that can barely start in the nfl. the only reason hes going to be an upgrade is bc ej has a mental block and is ****ting the bed on too many standard nfl throws. fitzorton is going to give you very baseline production on a more consistent basis but way less upside. thats why those guys float around between starting stints

i mean you never know, career backups do sometimes hit another level at the after thirty but thats really unlikely with orton, id say less than 5%. his career numbers are remarkably similar to what ejs career numbers are so really theres no reason to think we are going to suddenly get a big jump in scoring or something. they are just hoping orton doesnt give them so many wtf was that (again) on a key down throws

so at worst ej sits the rest of this season and has to win a qb comp with a draftee in august. i hate to say it but the more likely scenario is orton doesnt do much better, the bills lose the next two, then spend the bulk of the season trying to chase a longshot run at a playoff spot. once that dream dies, theyd put ej back in just bc they know orton isnt the future so let ej get more experience and hope hes a changed player next fall. and of course ej could be an injury replacement at any time

so no way is ej done here. 100% he gets another shot next year and highly likely he plays more this season. deal wid it

trapezeus
09-29-2014, 04:47 PM
GM's never go before first time coaches do. Whaley is safe marrone is out the door, or they both go together.Unless the bills miraculously go on a tear (which I dont see)Marrone is good as gone.

We are talking about a QB who lost his job to Tim Tebow

but in this situation, i can see the GM getting the boot if the team itself was slightly above .500 after this change. The coaches seemed to be complaining that they wanted to change. and the film shows players being open. plays being there. If you don't want a long rebuild, you need to see what's there. But there is no comingn back as GM. How can you miss on the QB and handcuff the team on picking one? If the coach was ok in that situation, he deserves time in my opinion.

If marrone goes 8-8, then everyone is on the chopping block.

And that's a shame only because we aren't as bad as we were during the jauron years and the last year of gailey, mularkey and williams. We have something to build on if they can move the ball.

chris66
perhaps. but its waaay too early for that. bills would be foolish to let him go now (ie. after the season) so thats not gonna happen

orton is fitz 1.0, or would it be 2.0 since fitz was here first? anyway, those guys are below average qbs that can barely start in the nfl. the only reason hes going to be an upgrade is bc ej has a mental block and is ****ting the bed on too many standard nfl throws. fitzorton is going to give you very baseline production on a more consistent basis but way less upside. thats why those guys float around between starting stints

i mean you never know, career backups do sometimes hit another level at the after thirty but thats really unlikely with orton, id say less than 5%. his career numbers are remarkably similar to what ejs career numbers are so really theres no reason to think we are going to suddenly get a big jump in scoring or something. they are just hoping orton doesnt give them so many wtf was that (again) on a key down throws

so at worst ej sits the rest of this season and has to win a qb comp with a draftee in august. i hate to say it but the more likely scenario is orton doesnt do much better, the bills lose the next two, then spend the bulk of the season trying to chase a longshot run at a playoff spot. once that dream dies, theyd put ej back in just bc they know orton isnt the future so let ej get more experience and hope hes a changed player next fall. and of course ej could be an injury replacement at any time

so no way is ej done here. 100% he gets another shot next year and highly likely he plays more this season. deal wid itor more likely Ej sits , orton starts, the dougs get fired and new coach /gm get their own guy in the offseason

Mr. Pink
Barring injury EJ Manuel never takes another snap as a member of the Buffalo Bills. deal wid it!

imbondz
09-29-2014, 04:52 PM

Ugh. Rodgers was behind freakin' Favre. Can we stop that comparison? It's Kyle Orton. If you google him, all the images are him drinking, looking drunk with hot girls. Seriously doubt EJ is going to learn that much.

don't get me wrong, I think those pics are hilarious, but he was going to retire this past year for a reason.

better days
09-29-2014, 04:52 PM
that doesnt happen often and if it does it usually happens with another team. EJ's career in Blo is pretty much over

I'm pretty sure EJ is the first QB drafted HIGH under the new CBA.

Under the old CBA, teams were obligated to pay a QB drafted as high as EJ was a boatload of money.

Teams were forced to play QB's even when they should have sat them because of the money involved.

The Bills can afford to sit EJ until he shows he is ready to play or the end of his rookie contract, whichever occurs first.

EDS
09-29-2014, 04:54 PM
Those 4 young QBs should never have started in the 1st place, and JP & EJ should never have been 1st round picks. Only Collins did anything and that was after about a decade & a half in mothballs. He then quickly went back into oblivion. It's never too early to pull a bust. They don't need more time, they need a different profession. How about this: since Kelly's retirement the organization has drafted nothing but bad QBs and has been forced to pull them when they proved they couldn't play in the NFL (this exempts Collins since he was drafted before Kelly retired & actually had a decent half season in Washington in his 30s). They replaced these bums with journeymen veterans who stabilized the QB position in spite of each one's own mediocrity.

No doubt those young QBs did not evidence future greatness, but nor did the veterans lead the Bills anywhere. Better to aspire to greatness and fail than settle for mediocrity.

What do the Bills do next year if Orton performs to career norms? Give him a Fitz like contract? Go back to EJ?

better days
09-29-2014, 04:54 PM
Ugh. Rodgers was behind freakin' Favre. Can we stop that comparison? It's Kyle Orton. If you google him, all the images are him drinking, looking drunk with hot girls. Seriously doubt EJ is going to learn that much.

When he was young, Favre was known for DRINKING, having a good ole time with the girls.

That is the reason he was traded to Green Bay.

better days
09-29-2014, 04:56 PM
No doubt those young QBs did not evidence future greatness, but nor did the veterans lead the Bills anywhere. Better to aspire to greatness and fail than settle for mediocrity.

What do the Bills do next year if Orton performs to career norms? Give him a Fitz like contract? Go back to EJ?

I would hope the Bills draft another QB & let the three of them compete for the starting job next year.

notacon
09-29-2014, 04:56 PM
Lighten up, Francis.

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q263/JoeMama025/jammin2.gif (http://s138.photobucket.com/user/JoeMama025/media/jammin2.gif.html)

No, I do not think he's "above average"...especially over more than a few games. No, he's not the "suckiest suck who ever sucked" but those that are thinking that he's the difference between making the playoffs and not are fooling themselves.

I'm not a EJ "fanboy" either. Just very disappointed that the Bills ****ed up another QB choice and development. The Bills just have a knack for handling the QB position the worst of any team in the NFL over the years.

And THAT is not an exaggeration.

With the stupid Watkins deal...good luck on getting any relief at the QB position. Orton is not the long term (or I think short term) answer. He's a solid back up...not starter material.

This sets back the Bills another 4 to 5 years.

EDS
09-29-2014, 04:57 PM
I would hope the Bills draft another QB & let the three of them compete for the starting job next year.

Is Orton signed for next year?

imbondz
09-29-2014, 04:57 PM
When he was young, Favre was known for DRINKING, having a good ole time with the girls.

That is the reason he was traded to Green Bay.

No. Favre's first year in the league was incredible, his 2nd season even better. I remember when he first started thinking he was going to be great. Not the same at all.

Meathead
09-29-2014, 04:59 PM
Barring injury EJ Manuel never takes another snap as a member of the Buffalo Bills. deal wid it!

i will bet you one hundred million dollars that is not correct

chris66
09-29-2014, 04:59 PM

Under the old CBA, teams were obligated to pay a QB drafted as high as EJ was a boatload of money.

Teams were forced to play QB's even when they should have sat them because of the money involved.

The Bills can afford to sit EJ until he shows he is ready to play or the end of his rookie contract, whichever occurs first.thats exactly why EJ probably isnt playing for the Bills ever again. Its doesnt cost the bills anything to get rid of him. of course if Orton sucks worse then you might see EJ again, but it probably wont matter by then. bills would be out of playoff race by halloween

The Jokeman
09-29-2014, 05:01 PM
No, I do not think he's "above average"...especially over more than a few games. No, he's not the "suckiest suck who ever sucked" but those that are thinking that he's the difference between making the playoffs and not are fooling themselves.

I'm not a EJ "fanboy" either. Just very disappointed that the Bills ****ed up another QB choice and development. The Bills just have a knack for handling the QB position the worst of any team in the NFL over the years.

And THAT is not an exaggeration.

With the stupid Watkins deal...good luck on getting any relief at the QB position. Orton is not the long term (or I think short term) answer. He's a solid back up...not starter material.

Let's face it the only QB to only fully develop in Buffalo was Joe Ferguson and even at his best he was an average NFL QB. I agree with your assessment. As we seem to be so quick to run QBs out of town.

Meathead
09-29-2014, 05:03 PM
Just very disappointed that the Bills ****ed up another QB choice and development. The Bills just have a knack for handling the QB position the worst of any team in the NFL over the years.

very well could. its also quite likely ej will get another chance here sometime and we might see a different guy

i know it makes frustrated fans feel better to pretend the best thing to do is flush your high investment in an emotional purge, but that would be stupid. ejs on contract, he still very green and has tremendous theoretical upside. its foolish not to just ride this out and see if you get a better result next cycle

jills
09-29-2014, 05:04 PM

He may suck, just not as bad as Manuel.

trapezeus
09-29-2014, 05:05 PM
Is Orton signed for next year?
usatoday article said he signed a 2 year deal for $11MM with his option to opt out given 5 days notice before the superbowl. just awesome. that's an amazing contract for a guy whose 10 year career has the same stats as an inefficient EJ of today.

I always like my starting quarterbacks to look like they drink beer with their cereal.

better days
09-29-2014, 05:06 PM
Let's face it the only QB to only fully develop in Buffalo was Joe Ferguson and even at his best he was an average NFL QB. I agree with your assessment. As we seem to be so quick to run QBs out of town.

Daryle LaMonica was developed in Buffalo.

sudzy
09-29-2014, 05:10 PM
Great news. Now let's make the playoffs.

The Jokeman
09-29-2014, 05:11 PM
Daryle LaMonica was developed in Buffalo.

Okay developed and played in Buffalo afterwards.

The Jokeman
09-29-2014, 05:17 PM
He may suck, just not as bad as Manuel.

and this is the short sighted view that really angers me with some Bills fans. I want to win just as much as the next one but the "win now" mantra has been part of the reason we've not developed anything since Kelly retired. Will I be happy if the Bills win against the Lions? sure but at the expense to develop a QB again makes me a little sad inside. As quite frankly EJ was the best young QB we've had in awhile but I don't think our OC could develop a game plan that played to his strengths. As all I know is Chan Gailey made our offense pretty good with a journeyman 7th Round QB, a 7th Round WR and an undrafted RB. Meanwhile Hackett had three 1st Rounders and none of them looked as good as what Chan did with his group. Granted Chan benefitted that a lot of his guys were able to fully develop.

better days
09-29-2014, 05:18 PM
Okay developed and played in Buffalo afterwards.

Well, if you are going to play that card, Jack Kemp & Jim Kelly played the bulk of their illustrious careers in Buffalo after being developed elsewhere

Mr. Pink
09-29-2014, 05:19 PM

Teams no longer "develop" QBs. They have it or they don't.

The rules are set up so it's easier to succeed today than 30 years ago. The systems NFL teams use now are the same systems these guys used in college. There's no such thing as gone from the spread option offense in college to a pro style offense in the NFL. NFL teams run the spread option offense now whereas even 15 years ago they didn't.

Do you think Russell Wilson, Colin Kaepernick would have succeeded if they were 20 years older? Tony Rice was a decent option QB for Notre Dame back in the late 80s who never saw the NFL because no team ran an offense that fit him. If Tony Rice was playing today, he would have been on an NFL roster.

kscdogbillsfan1221
09-29-2014, 06:26 PM

The Bills can afford to sit EJ until he shows he is ready to play or the end of his rookie contract, whichever occurs first.

I'm pretty sure you're wrong. Cam Newton, RG ME, and Andrew Luck, and Ryan Tannehill come to mind

pmoon6
09-29-2014, 06:27 PM

I wonder if they are doing this because of next years first rounder and the thought of giving up anything better than a 15 overall is killing them, only reason to make this move.Bull, if Manuel can't step back and continue to work on his game without it damaging his psyche then he doesn't belong in the NFL.

A QB doesn't need to start to continue developing.

Time to sit, access, and then get back to work.

The Jokeman
09-29-2014, 06:37 PM
Teams no longer "develop" QBs. They have it or they don't.

The rules are set up so it's easier to succeed today than 30 years ago. The systems NFL teams use now are the same systems these guys used in college. There's no such thing as gone from the spread option offense in college to a pro style offense in the NFL. NFL teams run the spread option offense now whereas even 15 years ago they didn't.

Do you think Russell Wilson, Colin Kaepernick would have succeeded if they were 20 years older? Tony Rice was a decent option QB for Notre Dame back in the late 80s who never saw the NFL because no team ran an offense that fit him. If Tony Rice was playing today, he would have been on an NFL roster.
Ironically I know all about Tony Rice as a kid I loved Notre Dame but come on man Tony Rice stats were horrible as a passing QB. He might have made an NFL roster as a RB like ala Denard Robinson. My question with the Bills on offense and finding something for Manuel is why don't we ever have him in a moving pocket and where are screens to Watkins etc. Little things I see other teams do that we don't. I just wished we would have given Manuel the entire season. As honestly I watch Kaepernick and he is one streaky QB and when he's off he is downright horrible passing as well. To me everyone calls EJ athletic which he is but quite frankly to me he seems more of a pocket guy that just needs a little more time to find his open man. Someone compared him to Steve McNair once which I think is fair. I also see him in the Rich Gannon mold. He won't ever be a top 5 NFL QB but think he can be a top 15.

HHURRICANE
09-29-2014, 06:43 PM
I called this...not that it matters.

If EJ can't develop behind the Vet than don't let the door hit you on the way out.

better days
09-29-2014, 06:57 PM
I'm pretty sure you're wrong. Cam Newton, RG ME, and Andrew Luck, and Ryan Tannehill come to mind

Well, when I am wrong, I am WRONG.

My bad.

kscdogbillsfan1221
09-29-2014, 07:00 PM
Well, when I am wrong, I am WRONG.

My bad.

Respectful. Many could learn from that philosophy

BillsImpossible
09-29-2014, 07:29 PM
I'm pretty psyched up to see Kyle Orton play. He's a 9 year veteran that has been around the block a few times and was the sacrificial lamb of the NFL's love for Tim Tebow.

Kyle Orton has been waiting for a legit shot to start ever since 2010, and now he's in his NFL quarterback prime at the age of 31.

QB's are a lot like NHL goalies, they tend to get better with age, and have their best years between 31-36.

Experience is underrated.

TacklingDummy
09-29-2014, 07:47 PM
Disagree.

they haven't been quick enough to pull the plug on those slugs.

TacklingDummy
09-29-2014, 07:49 PM
I understand benching EJ, he's terrible. Hes done basically nothing the first 4 games of the year. I'm just not excited about Orton.

jimmifli
09-29-2014, 09:07 PM
You can' throw away 52 guys' work, effort and passion for the chance that one guy might eventually "get it". This just shows that Marrone actually gives a **** about the people that play for him.

Buffalogic
09-29-2014, 09:53 PM
Marrone was probably forced to do this by the FO. Marrone threw a fit when we signed Orton I'm sure it wasn't his idea to bench EJ. I think Marrone may be an idiot.

jills
09-30-2014, 11:00 AM
and this is the short sighted view that really angers me with some Bills fans. I want to win just as much as the next one but the "win now" mantra has been part of the reason we've not developed anything since Kelly retired. Will I be happy if the Bills win against the Lions? sure but at the expense to develop a QB again makes me a little sad inside. As quite frankly EJ was the best young QB we've had in awhile but I don't think our OC could develop a game plan that played to his strengths. As all I know is Chan Gailey made our offense pretty good with a journeyman 7th Round QB, a 7th Round WR and an undrafted RB. Meanwhile Hackett had three 1st Rounders and none of them looked as good as what Chan did with his group. Granted Chan benefitted that a lot of his guys were able to fully develop.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/ByuZcQZCcAAYCyf.jpg

Just let that sink in.

On a serious note, either you have it or not, same thing happened with Gabbert, you can tell he sucks but his 1st round status kept him in the team longer than expected.