Ladies and Gentlemen... Your 1998 (2014) Buffalo Bills!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JohnnyGold
    • Dec 2008

Ladies and Gentlemen... Your 1998 (2014) Buffalo Bills!

I honestly can't believe that season was as long ago as it was, but this season (since we signed Orton) has struck me as being eerily similar.

For you younger fans: At the time, the Bills were coming off their first losing season in a very long time. Jim Kelly had retired following the 1996 season, and in the 1997 the Bills had one of the worst, most pathetic seasons in our history (record aside). For fun, google Billie Jo Hobart sometime. Missing the playoffs was a foreign concept in Buffalo, and fans were cautiously optimistic following the signing of Rob Johnson at qb in the offseason.

To recap:
    At QB, the young Rob Johnson, with limitless potential, was backed up by the aging Doug Flutie, who was short, and had a "limited ceiling." He was the backup that wasn't really going to challenge the young starter, he was there to hold a clipboard and cheer on the sideline.
    Similar to: EJ and Orton

At RB:
    The young kid, Antoine Smith, was taking over the reigns of the rush-heavy offense (most rushing attempts in the league), but the fan-favorite vet, Thurman Thomas, could get the yards we needed him to. Always.
    Similar to: CJ and Fredex

At WR:
    Loaded with talent. The league was a little different, so 5 wide sets weren't the norm. But Reed and Moulds were starting to turn into a nasty tandem.
    Similar to: Watkins and Woods

Defensive Line:
    Wow. Bruce Smith, Ted Washington, Phil Hansen.
    Similar to: Mario, Dareus, Kyle Williams.

Defensive Backfield.
    I don't remember.
    Similar to: Who cares.

Special Teams:
    Steve Christie was Mr. Reliable, and his long hair would blow in the Buffalo wind.
    Similar to: Dan Carpenter.

And of course, the season itself:
    An 0-3 start was buoyed somewhat by some late-game heroics by Rob Johnson, pulling out a win to get us to 1-3. Those would be his last 4 games as a starter for almost 2 years, and in came the "game manager" Doug Flutie. We beat Indy on the road, then pulled out one of the best games in Bills history at home over Jacksonville https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bqChXRm7Kbs
    Watching that 2 minute drill gives me goosebumps, I can still remember it like it was yesterday. So began Flutie mania--I still have my boxes of Flutie flakes somewhere. Flutie went 11-3 as a starter, and the Bills made the playoffs. In fact, they should have beat the Dolphins in round 1.
    The following season, an 11-5 Bills team likely would have won the Super Bowl with an absolutely dominant defense... if only the homerun throwback hadn't happened.

So what does it all mean?
    It means buckle up. Is Orton Peyton Manning? No. But our defense is elite, our receivers are young and talented, and our running backs have potential to lead the league. This assemblage of talent is a Patriots loss tonight away from being in first place in the division, and that's with having the lowest rated QB in the league (per QBR) under center... or should I say in shotgun formation. Football isn't rocket science, it's about making plays and imposing your will. Our defense can do that, and our offense can too.

Even a loss at Detroit won't derail this train.

Have fun Bills fans, we all deserve this move today. It almost seems impossible to me that the Bills won't make the playoffs. Orton has the arm strength to get the ball where it needs to be, and if you check his career stats vs. every Bills QB ever, you can see that (sadly) he's one of the best to ever suit up for us. Hell, he's above .500 as a starter. Drew Bledsoe is the last Bill who could make that claim... a decade ago.

It's crazy, because this team could be very good, very soon. I'm still expecting them to lose this weekend, as Orton didn't even get a preseason game to throw to these kids. But my god, when they have 2-3 games under their belts together.... a division title seems like a near certainty. Hate all you want, but for what it's worth, I've sat here and said this team is going to be garbage for the last 10 years.

Today, I'm saying this team is going to be good again. Finally.
    Last edited by JohnnyGold; 09-29-2014, 04:21 PM.
  • Typ0
    honey pie
    • Jul 2002

Re: Ladies and Gentlemen... Your 1998 (2014) Buffalo Bills!

everything is a situation. I have seen Orton bring a mans game to the table before. Put him in the right situation and you just don't know what's going to happen. I know Orton is not Manning but he's been around and I think he can play.

Comment

• trapezeus
      Legendary Zoner
      • Oct 2004

that's a fun analysis. That'd be fun if it worked out that with slightly better results like a superbowl.

Comment

• Buffalogic
        Rumblin' Stumblin' Bumblin'
        • Feb 2006

Very cool. Very exciting.

Comment

• imbondz
          Democrats are people too
          • Jan 2003

no
          My faith doesn’t make me perfect, it makes me forgiven.

Comment

• BOBM253
            elite QB
            • Aug 2010

At least were getting a proven QB with an NFL arm that can hit receivers and play the position. EJ's not near his level at this point in time.

Comment

• Mr. Cynical
              Maybe?
              • Oct 2003

Originally posted by JohnnyGold View Post
              I honestly can't believe that season was as long ago as it was, but this season (since we signed Orton) has struck me as being eerily similar.

For you younger fans: At the time, the Bills were coming off their first losing season in a very long time. Jim Kelly had retired following the 1996 season, and in the 1997 the Bills had one of the worst, most pathetic seasons in our history (record aside). For fun, google Billie Jo Hobart sometime. Missing the playoffs was a foreign concept in Buffalo, and fans were cautiously optimistic following the signing of Rob Johnson at qb in the offseason.

To recap:
              At QB, the young Rob Johnson, with limitless potential, was backed up by the aging Doug Flutie, who was short, and had a "limited ceiling." He was the backup that wasn't really going to challenge the young starter, he was there to hold a clipboard and cheer on the sideline.
              Similar to: EJ and Orton

At RB:
              The young kid, Antoine Smith, was taking over the reigns of the rush-heavy offense (most rushing attempts in the league), but the fan-favorite vet, Thurman Thomas, could get the yards we needed him to. Always.
              Similar to: CJ and Fredex

At WR:
              Loaded with talent. The league was a little different, so 5 wide sets weren't the norm. But Reed and Moulds were starting to turn into a nasty tandem.
              Similar to: Watkins and Woods

Defensive Line:
              Wow. Bruce Smith, Ted Washington, Phil Hansen.
              Similar to: Mario, Dareus, Kyle Williams.

Defensive Backfield.
              I don't remember.
              Similar to: Who cares.

Special Teams:
              Steve Christie was Mr. Reliable, and his long hair would blow in the Buffalo wind.
              Similar to: Dan Carpenter.

And of course, the season itself:
              An 0-3 start was buoyed somewhat by some late-game heroics by Rob Johnson, pulling out a win to get us to 1-3. Those would be his last 4 games as a starter for almost 2 years, and in came the "game manager" Doug Flutie. We beat Indy on the road, then pulled out one of the best games in Bills history at home over Jacksonville https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bqChXRm7Kbs
              Watching that 2 minute drill gives me goosebumps, I can still remember it like it was yesterday. So began Flutie mania--I still have my boxes of Flutie flakes somewhere. Flutie went 11-3 as a starter, and the Bills made the playoffs. In fact, they should have beat the Dolphins in round 1.
              The following season, an 11-5 Bills team likely would have won the Super Bowl with an absolutely dominant defense... if only the homerun throwback hadn't happened.

It means buckle up. Is Orton Peyton Manning? No. But our defense is elite, our receivers are young and talented, and our running backs have potential to lead the league. This assemblage of talent is a Patriots loss tonight away from being in first place in the division, and that's with having the lowest rated QB in the league (per QBR) under center... or should I say in shotgun formation. Football isn't rocket science, it's about making plays and imposing your will. Our defense can do that, and our offense can too.

Even a loss at Detroit won't derail this train.

Have fun Bills fans, we all deserve this move today. It almost seems impossible to me that the Bills won't make the playoffs. Orton has the arm strength to get the ball where it needs to be, and if you check his career stats vs. every Bills QB ever, you can see that (sadly) he's one of the best to ever suit up for us. Hell, he's above .500 as a starter. Drew Bledsoe is the last Bill who could make that claim... a decade ago.

It's crazy, because this team could be very good, very soon. I'm still expecting them to lose this weekend, as Orton didn't even get a preseason game to throw to these kids. But my god, when they have 2-3 games under their belts together.... a division title seems like a near certainty. Hate all you want, but for what it's worth, I've sat here and said this team is going to be garbage for the last 10 years.

Today, I'm saying this team is going to be good again. Finally.
              Sure, why not. Need to have some optimism even if only short lived. :)

Comment

• The Jokeman
                • Dec 2003

Originally posted by BOBM253 View Post
                At least were getting a proven QB with an NFL arm that can hit receivers and play the position. EJ's not near his level at this point in time.
                Yay! which will leave us a rookie to play with Watkins when he finally reaches his full potential in 2016 and we can then let him eventually walk as an UFA.

Comment

• better days
                  • Jan 2010

Detroit has a GOOD Defense. Top 5 in some important catagories such as third downs & score.

Would not surprise me to see the Bills lose in Detroit, but with Orton at least we have a punchers chance.

Win or lose in Detroit, the Pats* game at the Ralph should be EXCITING.

Comment

• better days
                    • Jan 2010

Originally posted by The Jokeman View Post
                    Yay! which will leave us a rookie to play with Watkins when he finally reaches his full potential in 2016 and we can then let him eventually walk as an UFA.
                    I guess you slept through it, the Bills have a new owner.

Comment

• Novacane
                      • Jul 2002

Originally posted by JohnnyGold View Post

It means buckle up. Is Orton Peyton Manning? No. But our defense is elite

This is where you lost me

Comment

• JohnnyGold
                        • Dec 2008

Originally posted by Novacane View Post
                        This is where you lost me
                        I would put them up against any defense in the league right now.

You have to realize, they have been absolutely handicapped by field position all season. It basically has felt (I have no stats to back this up) that our opponents have stopped us on our first possession each time deep in our own territory, and they have taken over close to mid field. As the game wears on, our d is forced to play on a short field all game...

against the texans we allowed one legit touchdown, and the texans kicked how many 50 yard field goals?
                        against the chargers we had issues in pass protection in the first half. we shut them down in the second half aside from one drive.
                        completely shut down the dolphins, and played well against a talented bears team.

"elite" might be an exaggeration :) they're good though, and i love watching them. with a healthy kiko next year, and (hopefully) a second round pick (or even a huge FA signing thanks to our new owner!!!) spent on a safety, we might be elite though.

Comment

• The Jokeman
                          • Dec 2003

Originally posted by better days View Post
                          I guess you slept through it, the Bills have a new owner.
                          I known all about Pegula. He will do what he did with the Sabres. He'll try to make them better right away with a few over priced UFAs and when that fails he'll blow up this team and start fresh. The only difference as not sure there's any great franchise type QB that be around in the next three or four drafts for the Bills.

Comment

• better days
                            • Jan 2010

Originally posted by The Jokeman View Post
                            I known all about Pegula. He will do what he did with the Sabres. He'll try to make them better right away with a few over priced UFAs and when that fails he'll blow up this team and start fresh. The only difference as not sure there's any great franchise type QB that be around in the next three or four drafts for the Bills.
                            Well, you said the Bills would let a GOOD FA walk in FA.

I don't think Pegula does that.

Comment

• The Jokeman
                              • Dec 2003

Originally posted by better days View Post
                              Well, you said the Bills would let a GOOD FA walk in FA.

I don't think Pegula does that.
                              Maybe because you see Watkins filling his draft potential but under my review I don't see that happening.

Comment

Working...
                              X