PDA

View Full Version : Did we draft EJ because of reverse racism?

CommissarSpartacus
09-29-2014, 04:19 PM
Now that EJ seems to be turning into the black JP Losman losing his job to Kelly Holcomb II, I have to wonder why the Bills would draft the guy in the first place, as he doesn't seem to do anything (pass, run, think) particularly well.

And since I've seen the Bills draft qbs for less than stellar reasons (Losman was the white Michael Vick, Trent couldn't be a loser cuz his college team sucked), I've always had the suspicion that EJ was drafted BECAUSE he was black, and black qbs were the flavor of the month at the end of 2012 - RG3, Russell Wilson, Cam Newton were supposed to be the future of qbing.

So, I think the Bills braintrust decided they wanted some of that action and drafted EJ, hoping he could be the next runnin' and gunnin' black qb.

The problem is, if EJ was white with everything else being equal, he wouldn't have been drafted NEARLY as high as he was, cuz they assume the upside is greater as a black man is more "athletic" than a white man....

What do you think?

Do you think we'd be sitting in this situation this year if EJ was a white man?

DynaPaul
09-29-2014, 04:23 PM
I don't know Whaley's rationale for sure but all the white guys had knocks on them while EJ was supposed to be Mr. Franchise. Mentally he's as fragile as Kordell Stewart.

Mr. Pink
09-29-2014, 04:26 PM
Then why was he drafted over Geno Smith?

He was the guy they liked most out of that weak QB class and Nix pigeonholed himself into "must get franchise QB."

The Jokeman
09-29-2014, 04:37 PM
Then why was he drafted over Geno Smith?

Cuz it appears Manuel despite his shortcomings might have been the best QB in his draft class. Sure he was a reach at 16 but hey we got also got Kiko out of the deal with the Rams.

imbondz
09-29-2014, 04:49 PM
Now that EJ seems to be turning into the black JP Losman losing his job to Kelly Holcomb II, I have to wonder why the Bills would draft the guy in the first place, as he doesn't seem to do anything (pass, run, think) particularly well.

And since I've seen the Bills draft qbs for less than stellar reasons (Losman was the white Michael Vick, Trent couldn't be a loser cuz his college team sucked), I've always had the suspicion that EJ was drafted BECAUSE he was black, and black qbs were the flavor of the month at the end of 2012 - RG3, Russell Wilson, Cam Newton were supposed to be the future of qbing.

So, I think the Bills braintrust decided they wanted some of that action and drafted EJ, hoping he could be the next runnin' and gunnin' black qb.

The problem is, if EJ was white with everything else being equal, he wouldn't have been drafted NEARLY as high as he was, cuz they assume the upside is greater as a black man is more "athletic" than a white man....

What do you think?

No that draft sucked, and EJ is a cool guy, probably a great interviewer, outward appearance is a solid candidate. Too bad he's not that great of a QB.

trapezeus
09-29-2014, 05:01 PM
ej has the right size and shows leadership qualities in his presentation. he fit the parcells model of what you are looking for. i can see with the class he was in on how he could be intriguing. the things that weren't great about him, you hoped you could coach him and he'd be willing to learn. he isn't a geno smith, vacant in the eyes guy.

and he seemed to be mobile in the sense that he didn't want to take off running,but he wanted to move in the pocket to buy time. all good things to have.

he was drafted because it was a bad qb class. not because of reverse racism.

Novacane
09-29-2014, 05:04 PM
You're reaching spart

Meathead
09-29-2014, 05:06 PM
dang shiva youre giving social gadflying a bad name

as the king of race issues, i honestly dont think race played any part at all in this

i assume youre just stirring the pot, so thats cool. i just dont want this nonsense to be associated with the real issues that need to be addressed

Meathead
09-29-2014, 05:07 PM
i mean, ive always said you were the liberal rush limbaugh. this is your donovan mcnabb moment. lol

JoeMama
09-29-2014, 06:11 PM

as the king of race issues, i honestly dont think race played any part at all in this

i assume youre just stirring the pot, so thats cool. i just dont want this nonsense to be associated with the real issues that need to be addressed

Dear resident blackologist,

I've always wondered, is it true that black people are bad tippers?

Thanks,

Joey

DraftBoy
09-29-2014, 06:13 PM
To borrow from Dude...

Thanks Obama!

kscdogbillsfan1221
09-29-2014, 06:28 PM

What do you think?

******ed. As far as I remember, Andrew Luck isn't black.

Strongman
09-29-2014, 07:08 PM
I think they liked his athleticism and how he interviewed. Athletically, EJ is similar to Cam Newton. It's just too bad he doesn't play football like him.

feldspar
09-29-2014, 08:05 PM
Stupid thread.

Glad I wasn't disappointed by the white Al Sharpton, a.k.a. Meathead, in here either. "King of race issues" LOL. Moron.

OpIv37
09-29-2014, 08:07 PM
EJ was over-drafted because it was a weak QB class and we were desperate for one. Race had nothing to do with it.

ParanoidAndroid
09-29-2014, 08:15 PM
You have got to be kidding me... This is spamworthy.

k-oneputt
09-29-2014, 08:28 PM
I thought it was because he had big hands.
Or something stupid like that.
Or probably our gm and scouting dept. are clueless when evaluating qbs.

coastal
09-29-2014, 08:31 PM
I can totally see this...

Russ Brandon thinks it's the wave of the future, like analytics, so jumps all over the big, black QB bandwagon.

Whaley... well he's black too. Of course he wants to draft the white QBs out of the league.

Buddy Nix... he got sick of the sweater vest jokes and lack of anyone of substance returning his calls... so what better way to get back on the in... go darkie

Marrone... well he just wanted the white kid he was already coaching. He finally got the go-ahead to play the older version of him, so better late than never I guess.

Dr. Lecter
09-29-2014, 08:41 PM
They signed Rob Johnson because of one game and him being a cool laid back dude.

They went after Bledsoe based on arm only

They signed Flutie because he was a cool short guy that pulled to wool over people's eye

Anything is possible

Scumbag College
09-29-2014, 09:39 PM
Dear resident blackologist,

I've always wondered, is it true that black people are bad tippers?

Thanks,

Joey

From the keyboard of a left wing liberal and a former bartender....yes.

And the original post is getting towards the neighborhood of Fox News and Sarah Palin logic.

jimmifli
09-29-2014, 09:47 PM

Since Day1 the Bills praised how "well-spoken" he was, his "presence" in a room and what a "fine young man" he was. I could almost hear the "for a black guy" added to it, because it wasn't the kind of **** you said about a white QB prospect.

"Man, that Andrew Luck kid sure does have some good manners!"

Ingtar33
09-30-2014, 03:18 AM

What do you think?

no. EJ was drafted because of 2 things.

1) physically he's a first round QB. he has the size, strength and speed that makes scouts drool if all you're doing is measuring his workout numbers.
2) he looked fantastic at the senior bowl. Understand the senior bowl highly favors the physically superior QBs, because the playbook is so basic, and the time needed to get used to the WRs is so limited, generally speaking only the best physical talants do well in it (at quarterback). in a way EJ dominating at the senior bowl was pretty much a guarantee, but he benefited from the fact the previous few senior bowls turned out some serious gems in the QB position, so teams that year were seriously overvaluing it.

I wrote prior to the combine that EJ was a lock for the first round because he has the body of a top 10 pick. Infact my exact words that year was some team was going to be suckered into drafting him in round one. My reaction after the draft was that I was dismayed it was the Bills who were suckered into taking EJ in round one. Shame really, but you could see this flameout coming months before the draft. I'm sure there were scouts telling the GM and Coach that EJ was a 3rd rounder at best, but in the end the scouts don't make the picks, and i'm sure the only live game the gm ever saw ej play was the senior bowl.

This isn't reverse racism... this is just what happens with a crappy front office, meddling management/owner, or a poor scouting staff.

BillsOverDolphins
09-30-2014, 04:45 AM
Black QB's were definitely the flavor of the month after the success of Wilson, RG3, and Kaepernick (Kaep was adopted by white parents, but was the product of a quick black nut).

As we can see today, 2 of them are garbage and one of them has turned out to be a damn good game manager. EJ succumbed to black NFL QB's kryptonite: game film. Wilson persevered though, albeit due to a top running game and defense who did the work for him--especially in the playoffs. EJ isn't a gamer or a game-manger. He's just subpar at everything across the board.

BillsOverDolphins
09-30-2014, 05:01 AM
btw, 8/10 trolljob by Shiva

CommissarSpartacus
09-30-2014, 11:44 AM
Since Day1 the Bills praised how "well-spoken" he was, his "presence" in a room and what a "fine young man" he was. I could almost hear the "for a black guy" added to it, because it wasn't the kind of **** you said about a white QB prospect.

"Man, that Andrew Luck kid sure does have some good manners!"

Yup.

And anyone that doesn't think the Mandingo factor doesn't play from time to time in the NFL is just fooling themselves.

Sure, EJ has made some plays, but so did Rob, Bledsoe, Losman and Trent.

I'd like to like him as a qb cuz he's the Bills qb, whether he was black, white, yellow or tie dyed.

but I look at the guy play and I don't see anything special, and I think if he was a white guy who played exactly the same , he wouldn't have been rated NEARLY as highly.

I think the unspoken reasoning is you can teach brains, but you can't teach athleticism, so it's easy to look at a white guy and say "He'll never get any better" and then look at the exact same guy with black skin and say "this kid has upside'.

Dr. Lecter
09-30-2014, 12:02 PM
That profile of a QB definitely exists. White QBs are smart. Black QBs are mobile athletes.

But Andrew Luck has more rushing TDs the last few years than all but a few QBs. He is probably a better athlete than all but a few QBs in the league.

And Russell Wilson might be the smartest.