PDA

View Full Version : Whats the next answer at QB?

X-Era
09-29-2014, 05:16 PM
I think the writing is now on the wall. I can't see EJ recovering and becoming all we need now. I think the search is again on... and without a 1st rounder.

In 2015 free agency:

Ponder- No thanks
Locker- Maybe he can resurrect his career
Hoyer- May be the best possibility out of the bunch... Eww
Mallett- Maybe take a flier on him

I'd probably choose Mallett if I had to pick one. Not a good crop.

In the draft:

Mariota- I like his play a lot but he could easily go top 5 or 1
Winston- Douche that I'm just not a fan of
Mannion- Meh
Cook- Meh
Hundley- Possible option but not Luck
Hogan- Meh
Petty- Possible but not Luck

Lot's of mediocrity in this group. Mariota is unattainable and may be the best of the bunch. Winston is likely to be a head case in my opinion.

Trade?

I'd think hard on moving a player or pick for Cousins but that doesn't exactly give us the sure fire answer either.

I hate being in the QB shopping position. I'm not sure there is much that I hate more for the Bills right now than having no long term QB option.

Hell, at this point I'd almost pray for a miraculous turn around from EJ. But I think that is very very unlikely.

jlgarsh
09-29-2014, 05:20 PM
I like Bryce Petty a lot, hopefully he can stay healthy. Maybe his back will scare teams off and cause him to fall. 2 cracked vertebrae? Ouch

ServoBillieves
09-29-2014, 05:21 PM
Kaepernick signed an extension, so you're right, he won't be on the open market.

DesertFox24
09-29-2014, 05:21 PM
Everyone wants to blast the bills for trading this years first but if you look at the draft and even the draft prospects to be honest their is not that many guys that are really great in the 7-16 range.

I would take Sammy over Ebron and any one of the WR or defense lineman we could get at 7-16 at this point.

Assuming leonard Williams is gone he is going to be a beast.

I think you are going to see a QB competition between EJ, Orton, another FA, and probably a rookie taken in third round.

Mr. Pink
09-29-2014, 05:24 PM
Kyle Orton and roll the dice on a mid round QB.

Then take one in the first in 2016 if said mid rounder doesn't work out.

X-Era
09-29-2014, 05:25 PM
Everyone wants to blast the bills for trading this years first but if you look at the draft and even the draft prospects to be honest their is not that many guys that are really great in the 7-16 range.

I would take Sammy over Ebron and any one of the WR or defense lineman we could get at 7-16 at this point.

I think you are going to see a QB competition between EJ, Orton, another FA, and probably a rookie taken in third round.I have zero complaint with trading our 1st for Sammy. I like what he brings. I think he's worth it. And especially when this QB crop is so mediocre.

X-Era
09-29-2014, 05:25 PM
Kaepernick signed an extension, so you're right, he won't be on the open market.Fixed :D:

The Jokeman
09-29-2014, 05:28 PM
The Rams aren't sold on Austin Davis as they're going back to Shaun Hill after the bye from what read. Maybe we can get him and draft Kevin Hogan or Connor Cook.

The Jokeman
09-29-2014, 05:31 PM

I think you are going to see a QB competition between EJ, Orton, another FA, and probably a rookie taken in third round.

So you think Sammy > Ebron and Amari Cooper. I don't.

JohnnyGold
09-29-2014, 05:40 PM
I think Kyle Orton is THE answer at quarterback, and I'm not ashamed to say it.

I think he is going to be the best quarterback we have seen in Buffalo since Jim Kelly.

He's a 10 year veteran, but hasn't played much in the last few years, so he doesn't have 10 years worth of mileage on his body.

His career record is 35-35, and his career td/int ratio is 83/59.
We haven't had a quarterback with those numbers since Bledsoe. There is literally an entire generation of Bills fans who have never seen a quarterback like this under center. It's going to be eye opening, it's going to be pleasantly surprising, and these are all numbers that Orton put up half a decade ago when rules weren't as loose as they are now on receivers. He's going to be even BETTER than he was then.

With our wideouts, our running backs, our defense.
Wow wow wow.

Bills are about to shock the league, and Orton is going to look like an MVP candidate.

I don't care if that sounds crazy, hyperbolic, optimistic, whatever. Bump this when the seasons over, he's going to shine in our offense.

Hacket's going to look like a forward thinking, up-tempo genius, and the Watkins pick is about to pay off in spades.

Look for Spiller to get free in space and create havoc for opposing defenses.

Again: 35-35 as a starter, 83/59 ratio. Great numbers, best for the Bills in years and years and years.

This is going to be FUN.

The Jokeman
09-29-2014, 05:43 PM

I think he is going to be the best quarterback we have seen in Buffalo since Jim Kelly.

He's a 10 year veteran, but hasn't played much in the last few years, so he doesn't have 10 years worth of mileage on his body.

We haven't had a quarterback with those numbers since Bledsoe. There is literally an entire generation of Bills fans who have never seen a quarterback like this under center. It's going to be eye opening, it's going to be pleasantly surprising, and these are all numbers that Orton put up half a decade ago when rules weren't as loose as they are now on receivers. He's going to be even BETTER than he was then.

Wow wow wow.

Bills are about to shock the league, and Orton is going to look like an MVP candidate.

I don't care if that sounds crazy, hyperbolic, optimistic, whatever. Bump this when the seasons over, he's going to shine in our offense.

Hacket's going to look like a forward thinking, up-tempo genius, and the Watkins pick is about to pay off in spades.

Again: 35-35 as a starter, 83/59 ratio. Great numbers, best for the Bills in years and years and years.

This is going to be FUN.

I don't want fun, I want to sustain a winning program that eventually can become dominate. I hate to say it but I want what the Bengals have become.

RedEyE
09-29-2014, 05:43 PM
I don't think EJ is out of the equation yet and I'm a bit surprised to see so many oif you having written him off.

1 injury and EJ is back in, or perhaps Orten is worse? I tbink Manuel has all the intangibles. He was just thrown to the wolves much too soon. No QB coach last season. No decent veteran to show him the ropes. Rookie HC. Rookie OC.

Once Kolb went down with a premature season ending concussion, any hopes of baby feeding EJ Manuel flat out died. Out of the gates, injury stricken, EJ was forced to learn this level of the game in full motion.

No, I think he will get another shot. If not in the regular season, perhaps in camp next season.

The Jokeman
09-29-2014, 05:46 PM
I don't think EJ is out of the equation yet and I'm a bit surprised to see so many oif you having written him off.

1 injury and EJ is back in, or perhaps Orten is worse? I tbink Manuel has all the intangibles. He was just thrown to the wolves much too soon. No QB coach last season. No decent veteran to show him the ropes. Rookie HC. Rookie OC.

Once Kolb went down with a premature season ending concussion, any hopes of baby feeding EJ Manuel flat out died. Out of the gates, injury stricken, EJ was forced to learn this level of the game in full motion.

No, I think he will get another shot. If not in the regular season, perhaps in camp next season.

I don't want to write off EJ but with the Bills history things aren't on EJ's side. I know new ownership but it's still the same franchise until Pegula is named head man and the one writing the check as for the time being this is still Mrs. Wilson's team.

better days
09-29-2014, 05:48 PM

Wow wow wow.

This is going to be FUN.

I hope you are right & I agree, with Orton under Center, defenses will have to respect his ability to throw the ball downfield so CJ & Fred should have a much easier time running the ball.

DraftBoy
09-29-2014, 05:52 PM
Assuming Orton doesn't work out well, and I don't think he will, I'd start a new young QB every week from Week 7 or 8 now. Test guys out figure out who can grasp the offense quickly. See if you can't get lucky.

Some early names from Practice Squads: Zac Dysert (DEN), Jeff Matthews (IND), Seth Lobato (MIA), Ryan Lindley (SD)

The Jokeman
09-29-2014, 06:53 PM
Assuming Orton doesn't work out well, and I don't think he will, I'd start a new young QB every week from Week 7 or 8 now. Test guys out figure out who can grasp the offense quickly. See if you can't get lucky.

Some early names from Practice Squads: Zac Dysert (DEN), Jeff Matthews (IND), Seth Lobato (MIA), Ryan Lindley (SD)

That isn't a bad plan but sadly I can't see it happening.

imbondz
09-29-2014, 06:55 PM
Locker is a good QB if he could just stay healthy. He won the first game, played hurt and sucked. He's just too injury prone

- - - Updated - - -

Why does it seem like rocket science for us to get a good QB? It makes no sense.

black N yellow
09-29-2014, 06:56 PM
I once heard EJ called the black Jake Locker. That was all I really needed to know.

The Jokeman
09-29-2014, 06:59 PM
Locker is a good QB if he could just stay healthy. He won the first game, played hurt and sucked. He's just too injury prone

- - - Updated - - -

Why does it seem like rocket science for us to get a good QB? It makes no sense.

Really? Locker has hit below 60% of his passes in the NFL and the last few years averaging less than 7 yards per pass all markers I feel make above average QBs. Not to mention his W/L is horrible. Granted the Titans don't have much talent but I don't think Locker's a better QB than Manuel but that's my personal opinion.

pmoon6
09-29-2014, 07:00 PM
Kaepernick signed an extension, so you're right, he won't be on the open market.Too bad. The Bills' could have ponied up and Kaepernick would have the added benefit of nightly head jobs from Mr. Pink.

YardRat
09-29-2014, 07:17 PM

- - - Updated - - -

Half of the league is probably asking the same question, and another 4-6 teams should be. There are only 10-12 legit starters overall, IMO, and everybody else is searching for 'that guy'.

That being said, regarding the thread topic, the only thing this team can do is take the same approach they take with every position, and that is hop on an upgrade when one is available, whether it's FA or the draft. Evaluate the talent available vs what is currently in house, and if you can improve the talent level, pull the trigger. Are there any FA's out there right now better than what we have in the grand scheme of things? No. This doesn't appear to be a very strong draft year again for QB's, so nobody really stands out worth trading into the first for. Take one in a later round? Absolutely...they should have this year, and should every year until they finally hit.

Far more important than that, though, is not getting the glazed-over look in the eyes that focus solely on the QB...there's no reason at all right now to go 'all-in' gambling on one guy.

Mr. Pink
09-29-2014, 07:19 PM
Too bad. The Bills' could have ponied up and Kaepernick would have the added benefit of nightly head jobs from Mr. Pink.

:rofl:

That read option QB will never work in the NFL Mr. Expert

Don't Panic
09-29-2014, 07:20 PM

I fully agree. I don't think this is the last we hear from EJ and I think in many ways this was the best thing for him. He had too much weight on his shoulders. This will be the first time in his career he isn't the starting QB. Dude went 6-7 in his first 13 starts when he had no business starting from day one. So long as he can take this as a motivator and not a devestator, I think it will be better for him all in all. Now let's see what Orton can do with this supporting cast...

X-Era
09-30-2014, 04:49 AM
I fully agree. I don't think this is the last we hear from EJ and I think in many ways this was the best thing for him. He had too much weight on his shoulders. This will be the first time in his career he isn't the starting QB. Dude went 6-7 in his first 13 starts when he had no business starting from day one. So long as he can take this as a motivator and not a devestator, I think it will be better for him all in all. Now let's see what Orton can do with this supporting cast...I want to agree. I do.

But Marrones looking for continuous progress and EJ has hit a plateau. He's not progressing to those 300+, 3 TD type games. He's not dominating defenses at all. Let alone doing it on a regular basis. In fact he's struggling even when he has open receivers.

I seriously hope he can take the next step and be a solid playoff caliber QB.

BillsOverDolphins
09-30-2014, 04:55 AM
A tall white guy with a live arm.

YardRat
09-30-2014, 04:59 AM
Marrone was pretty blunt with at least one comment I saw from yesterday (paraphrasing)..."If he eventually gets it, he gets it. If he never does, he doesn't." Didn't exactly show a lot of confidence that he truly believed EJ would 'get it'.

JohnnyGold
09-30-2014, 05:04 AM
Marrone was pretty blunt with at least one comment I saw from yesterday (paraphrasing)..."If he eventually gets it, he gets it. If he never does, he doesn't." Didn't exactly show a lot of confidence that he truly believed EJ would 'get it'.

I get the argument that EJ was "thrown to the wolves", to some degree, but there's nothing wrong with the comment Marrone made.
I know it's wrong of me, but for some reason, the most annoying part of EJ's game is the degree to which (I perceive) he has been coddled.
He's been a Bill for a year and a half now--Marrone's right, if he never gets it, he never gets it. But the Buffalo Bills are not EJ's personal practice squad, and him "getting it" doesn't need to mean hanging our super talented receivers out to dry on passes that are either 10 feet over their head, or 3 yards behind the LOS.

Forward_Lateral
09-30-2014, 05:49 AM
Kirk Cousins.

casdhf
09-30-2014, 06:00 AM
RGIII

Night Train
09-30-2014, 06:23 AM

That only makes me root for Marrone more. He doesn't pull punches and I'm sick of the spineless " Coach Speak " disciples.

He saw a few minutes of the game film and didn't waffle in making an immediate change.

TheBrownBear
09-30-2014, 10:08 AM

Wow wow wow.

This is going to be FUN.

Lol. Holy sunshine pumper! I thanked your post because it pumped me up and i want to believe it's true, but this is a guy who went 12-21 during his best seasons in Denver.

stuckincincy
09-30-2014, 11:01 AM
Tenn's Justin Worley had a nice outing coming back from a mid-game injury in a 32-35 loss to Georgia.

Ed
09-30-2014, 11:45 AM

This is what I was thinking. I don't think EJ has started his last game as a Bill. I think he'll get another shot at some point whether it's through injury or Orton just proving to be too mediocre. I don't think they can say that EJ needs more time to develop and work on some things and then just never give him another opportunity.

There aren't any good free agent options as usual, and they can't really put some second tier rookie in their next year and expect better results. I think EJ will get a chance to compete next year for the simple fact that there probably won't be any better options.

ghz in pittsburgh
09-30-2014, 11:47 AM
EJ is pretty much on his own now, much like Aaron Rogers was. Before you guys say Aaron has a HOF to watch, I believe much of his improvement was on his own.

BillsOverDolphins
09-30-2014, 03:49 PM
Aaron Rodgers had a brain in his head, though.

DesertFox24
09-30-2014, 04:35 PM
Best options for us as I see it right now are Hundley, Mannion, Hogan, Cook, Petty, or the Carder (east carolina spelled it wrong).

I think we would have to trade up from the second round to bottom first to get Hundley and I am not all that sold on him.

I really do not like Hogan and I think Cook will be gone.

It would then come down to Petty or Mannion in the second and us not moving up.

I think we should take one of those guys and hope Orton is serviceable and that we do not have to play the new guy for a year minimum preferrable two years on the pine.

EJ is done guys and it pains me to say it as I wanted him to be the guy for a lot of reasons. Even if he gets the start again do you see his teammates trusting him.

I know a few college QBs and they all said the same thing he is done in Buffalo onto the next one they told me.

EricStratton
09-30-2014, 05:51 PM
I agree with RedEye here. Assuming Orton stays on his feet for the next 12 games this allows EJ to reset the clock, learn how to be an NFL quarterback and compete. Maybe he gets it and maybe he doesn't but I think he is the next QB when the clock runs out on Orton.

Meathead
09-30-2014, 06:52 PM

http://i62.tinypic.com/zwiy5h.jpg

Meathead
09-30-2014, 06:58 PM
we already know whats next at the qb spot for the bills

orton is what he is. hes NOT going to light the league on fire, he barely gives you starter level production, and is going to get benched himself once the playoffs are out of the picture

next season the bills use their top pick (2nd) to take the best qb available and the three of them have an open competition next summer

with ortons warts then prominently exposed after starting this season, ej is most likely to be behind center in next years opener. deal wid it