PDA

View Full Version : Do owners pay players under the table?

imbondz
09-29-2014, 06:58 PM
Has there ever been any evidence of that? I'm just curious if you think that ever happens, or just too difficult in this day to get away with?

The Jokeman
09-29-2014, 07:03 PM
Has there ever been any evidence of that? I'm just curious if you think that ever happens, or just too difficult in this day to get away with?

No way, the media would have a field day with this if it was ever unearthed. Now the question is do NFL teams have programs similar to college boosters? Most likely but the press doesn't really go out of it's way to make the stories of the one's in the NCAA so why so for the professionals?

YardRat
09-29-2014, 07:26 PM
Pretty sure it's a safe bet the owners are policing each other on that...if one ever got a whiff of any side deals that appeared to be an attempt to circumvent the cap more than a few would be pissed.

imbondz
09-29-2014, 07:28 PM
Pretty sure it's a safe bet the owners are policing each other on that...if one ever got a whiff of any side deals that appeared to be an attempt to circumvent the cap more than a few would be pissed.

or it's an unspoken ok

YardRat
09-29-2014, 07:29 PM
or it's an unspoken ok

Granted.

Back in the early days of the cap, wasn't there a mini-controversy in Denver, with Elway and his car dealerships?

BillsImpossible
09-29-2014, 07:34 PM
Cash is king.

Great question, imbondz.

Imagine how many college players and refs are paid cash in $100 bills.

God Bless America.

Skooby
09-29-2014, 07:48 PM
I bet the best players side businesses are booming.

ServoBillieves
09-29-2014, 08:02 PM
Ask some referees how much Kraft pays them under the table, might be a good indicator. They had no business beating Oakland last week... OAKLAND.

jlgarsh
09-29-2014, 09:39 PM
This happened in the NBA with the Minnesota Timberwolves and Joe Smith. When caught, they lost draft picks and I'm pretty sure Smith was made a free agent. So no, I don't think it happens.

jimmifli
09-29-2014, 09:56 PM
I remember something about the 49ers paying guys under the table or post retirement.

ParanoidAndroid
09-29-2014, 11:07 PM
All you would need is one disgruntled player to blow it up.

IlluminatusUIUC
09-29-2014, 11:39 PM
I remember something about the 49ers paying guys under the table or post retirement.

They did. They would supposedly pay some company to sign a sponsorship deal with one of their players and reimburse them under the table.

http://articles.philly.com/2000-03-21/sports/25606684_1_salary-cap-cba-salary-cap-violations

- - - Updated - - -

Also FWIW that's partially what Bountygate was about.

chris66
09-30-2014, 05:19 AM
Has there ever been any evidence of that? I'm just curious if you think that ever happens, or just too difficult in this day to get away with?yes, Denver in 98.paid both elway and davis. They lost a third round pick

Historian
09-30-2014, 06:01 AM
Players can always be "recomended" for endorsement deals by mgmt.

Its up to the leagure to interpret the policy.

imbondz
09-30-2014, 06:35 AM
When you consider the shady agents involved, I'm betting it happens more than we think. but maybe not. probably tho.

imbondz
09-30-2014, 06:37 AM
They did. They would supposedly pay some company to sign a sponsorship deal with one of their players and reimburse them under the table.

http://articles.philly.com/2000-03-21/sports/25606684_1_salary-cap-cba-salary-cap-violations

- - - Updated - - -

Also FWIW that's partially what Bountygate was about.

If this happened today, it'd be a huge story, at least until Goodell destroyed all the evidence.

stuckincincy
09-30-2014, 10:49 AM
Player A: Read this newspaper. I was voted into the Pro Bowl! More contract $$$ for me!

Player B: I was real close. I bet if that injury of yours would flare up, I'd get in. And my contract incentive cash would kick in.

Player A: You know, I think you are right about the injury...it's starting to hurt. I've got to be ready for next year's trip to Ft. Knox, er, I mean next year's season.

Player B: That's right. And thanks for letting me use your paper. It looks thicker now, doesn't it? Don't forget to take it with you, and clutch it tightly so the, er, insert doesn't fall out.

:handball:

JohnnyGold
09-30-2014, 06:40 PM
Any side deals from owners can not touch the amount of money going into the pockets of refs and players from organized crime--and that's ESPECIALLY true for the college game.