• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Pinkerton Security
    Pinkerton's son
    • Feb 2006

Marrone didnt ask permission to bench EJ...i like it

"As a head coach you have to evaluate everything and, at the end of the day, you've got to make the right decisions with your mind, with your heart and things like that," he said. "The one thing is that when you go to bed at night you have to make sure that you're making the best decisions to help our football team win."

Marrone didn't seem Monday like a coach who agonized over this decision. There was almost a sense a relief, as if he could move on from the first 20 games of his tenure in Buffalo -- a period defined mostly by shoddy quarterback play.

The decision, the Bills say, was made entirely by Marrone, who delivered the news Monday afternoon to general manager Doug Whaley.

"I didn't ask for an agreement," Marrone explained. "I just went in there and said, 'This is the direction that I'm going.'"

A significant weight is off the shoulders of Doug Marrone, after he announced EJ Manuel would be benched in favor of veteran Kyle Orton.

I just like how Marrone said look, EJ sucks, we have a good team and EJ is holding us back. It really makes me wonder what the "heated debate" he had with upper management was about - I'd have to guess about how much EJ sucks.

• better days
    • Jan 2010

Re: Marrone didnt ask permission to bench EJ...i like it

Originally posted by NaturalBornSpiller View Post
    "As a head coach you have to evaluate everything and, at the end of the day, you've got to make the right decisions with your mind, with your heart and things like that," he said. "The one thing is that when you go to bed at night you have to make sure that you're making the best decisions to help our football team win."

Marrone didn't seem Monday like a coach who agonized over this decision. There was almost a sense a relief, as if he could move on from the first 20 games of his tenure in Buffalo -- a period defined mostly by shoddy quarterback play.

The decision, the Bills say, was made entirely by Marrone, who delivered the news Monday afternoon to general manager Doug Whaley.

"I didn't ask for an agreement," Marrone explained. "I just went in there and said, 'This is the direction that I'm going.'"

A significant weight is off the shoulders of Doug Marrone, after he announced EJ Manuel would be benched in favor of veteran Kyle Orton.

I just like how Marrone said look, EJ sucks, we have a good team and EJ is holding us back. It really makes me wonder what the "heated debate" he had with upper management was about - I'd have to guess about how much EJ sucks.
    I think when EJ was drafted the plan was to have him sit behind Kolb for a year or two.

Comment

• The Jokeman
      • Dec 2003

Originally posted by better days View Post
      I think when EJ was drafted the plan was to have him sit behind Kolb for a year or two.
      I'd say for at least hist first season. But Kolb got injured and all that changed. We may have rushed EJ on the field. Am I angry he didn't perform? Sure but at the same time I didn't expect from him and/or the team as some Bills fans.

Comment

• OpIv37
        Acid Douching Asswipe
        • Sep 2002

[COLOR=#333333]

Could be, but I have to wonder if there was a specific set of things the coaches wanted Manuel to do- win or lose- and he got benched for not doing them.

This is jus speculation on my part, but I really think the coaches were looking for specific items from EJ, he know what they were and he didn't come through
        MiKiDo Facebook
        MiKiDo Website

Comment

• casdhf
          • Jul 2002

Like completing a pass 15-yards down field? My guess is that they asked him to do that.
          Originally posted by BillsZone Mod
          cas,

I'm just letting you know that you have been given 2 points for telling Wys AKA Mark to kill himself.

BillsZone Mod

Comment

• stuckincincy
            Buffalo Bills Fan
            • Sep 2003

Originally posted by casdhf View Post
            Like completing a pass 15-yards down field? My guess is that they asked him to do that.

Yep. No secrets, no intrigue, no surreptitious conspiratorial talks past midnight.

Manuel stinks this season - no if ands' or buts. His honeymoon is over. One can crab about drops, but jeeze, it's hard to toss so may passes and end up with 27 pitches at wrs with only 9 completions. I also take exception with the OC that ordered 27 passes to wrs, when he must have sniffed that chemistry between Manuel has been fizzing away like a broken firecracker since season's start.

And not noticing that the interior of his OL is about as tough as a piece of cheap tissue paper. I happen to think that the Bills' D is getting by on good luck and other teams' injuries, but whatever, they are keeping things close enough. So I would have afforded Manuel some max protection - that FB - and worked the clock for him.
            Fiat justitia ruat caelum. Noli timere. Laus Deo.

Comment

• JoeMama
              Emotion Sickness
              • Oct 2002

He didn't even ask for permission???

Whoa, talk about a good lookin' rebel who plays by his own rules!
              Disclaimer: The sentiment expressed in this post is strictly for entertainment purposes only.

Comment

• Pinkerton Security
                Pinkerton's son
                • Feb 2006

Originally posted by JoeMama View Post

Congrats on learning how to use sarcasm! Its a useful tool! Now, go ahead and try to provide some sort of useful comment on the thread instead of some other inane comment.

The point of my thread is - I imagine Marrone wanted to utilize EJ differently. Pure conjecture, but I have a feeling this is where the disagreement between Marrone and the FO arose.

Comment

• coastal
                  Legendary Zoner
                  • Mar 2005

In the dysfunctional organization that has been the Buffalo Bills, that's a huge step forward.

Comment

• JoeMama
                    Emotion Sickness
                    • Oct 2002

Congrats on learning how to use sarcasm! Its a useful tool! Now, go ahead and try to provide some sort of useful comment on the thread instead of some other inane comment.

The point of my thread is - I imagine Marrone wanted to utilize EJ differently. Pure conjecture, but I have a feeling this is where the disagreement between Marrone and the FO arose.
                    My cat's breath smells like cat food.
                    Disclaimer: The sentiment expressed in this post is strictly for entertainment purposes only.

Comment

• OpIv37
                      Acid Douching Asswipe
                      • Sep 2002

My cat's breath smells like cat food.
                      That's where I saw the leprechaun. He tells me to burn stuff.
                      MiKiDo Facebook
                      MiKiDo Website

Comment

• JoeMama
                        Emotion Sickness
                        • Oct 2002

Originally posted by OpIv37 View Post
                        That's where I saw the leprechaun. He tells me to burn stuff.
                        Go banana!

Comment

• justasportsfan
                          • Jul 2002

Awesome.
                          sacrifice1
                          https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• Buffalogic
                            Rumblin' Stumblin' Bumblin'
                            • Feb 2006

I don't buy this. Marrone's hand was forced. Either start Orton or look for another job. This is contradictory to him flipping out over signing Orton.

Comment

• trapezeus
                              Legendary Zoner
                              • Oct 2004

frankly, marrone's brash behavior is forcing the hand of the old guard. he had his fit about the trainers during offseason. that story got picked up for alittle while. Then he had his fit at end of season with whaley.

and now he's making the change at QB. It continues to highlight things going on above him and his attempt to do what he can.

the other guys like jauron and gailey let the front office stick them with poor talent and then get blamed that they were the reason the team wasn't winning. Clearly that wasn't working for coaches and job security. Hopefully in the long run it does what its supposed to do. remove the worst parts of the organization by the start of 2015.

Comment

Working...
                              X