PDA

View Full Version : Does this mean the end of the read option?

Forward_Lateral
09-30-2014, 09:41 AM
Orton really isn't a threat to run, so running it is kind of pointless, IMO.

This is not a bad thing, IMO. I hate the stupid read option. Run the ball like a normal team.

billsburgh
09-30-2014, 10:01 AM
Orton really isn't a threat to run, so running it is kind of pointless, IMO.

This is not a bad thing, IMO. I hate the stupid read option. Run the ball like a normal team.

THIS

cookie G
09-30-2014, 10:09 AM
God, I hope so.

BOBM253
09-30-2014, 10:15 AM
Bye bye stupid read option. Now if we should ever pick up Tebow, hello again read option.....

trapezeus
09-30-2014, 10:16 AM
i kind of like slowing the play down dramatically and then never actually have the qb run. it's been wildly successf.....wait a minute....this just in. it's never really worked. i stand corrected. if we are done with read option, i'd take that as the second positive of the switch this week.

BOBM253
09-30-2014, 10:21 AM
While we're at it, we also should ditch the hurry up no huddle except when time dictates it........

billsburgh
09-30-2014, 11:31 AM
While we're at it, we also should ditch the hurry up no huddle except when time dictates it........

they haven't really used the hurry up all that much this year

stuckincincy
09-30-2014, 12:00 PM
i kind of like slowing the play down dramatically and then never actually have the qb run. it's been wildly successf.....wait a minute....this just in. it's never really worked. i stand corrected. if we are done with read option, i'd take that as the second positive of the switch this week.

CIN has used it a number of times. It's useful as a variation on drop back play-action - puts a bit of a freeze on rushers.

streetkings01
09-30-2014, 12:17 PM
Last I check we've never actually used the read option since EJ never keeps the ball. He kept it one time all season on his rushing TD against da Bear. We need to run the football with Spiller/Fred/Dixon and let Orton do alot of playaction.

Mahdi
09-30-2014, 12:18 PM
Hated the read option. Good thing Orton is slow.

casdhf
09-30-2014, 12:23 PM
I wonder if we'll act like the Jets and give EJ a simple package to run.

Mahdi
09-30-2014, 01:22 PM
Last I check we've never actually used the read option since EJ never keeps the ball. He kept it one time all season on his rushing TD against da Bear. We need to run the football with Spiller/Fred/Dixon and let Orton do alot of playaction.

Orton is excellent at playaction and pump fakes.

Mr. Cynical
09-30-2014, 01:25 PM
Orton is excellent at playaction and pump fakes.

Agreed - never knew this but watched some if his highlights on youtube and he's actually pretty effective with them.

IlluminatusUIUC
09-30-2014, 01:26 PM
The read option doesn't always mean the QB is going to hand off or run himself. We've already run several variations where Manuel can hand off or throw, and I would expect to see Orton running those as well. It's not like he's never seen it before, he was on the Broncos with Tebow.

And I still like the read option as a way to ease in a young QB. I did not count on EJ being an absolutely TERRIBLE runner with no vision however.

IlluminatusUIUC
09-30-2014, 01:34 PM
FWIW, watch the first highlight on this video and you can see how the read works even if the QB doesn't keep it.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/0ap3000000402257/Week-4-Bills-vs-Texans-highlights

Because EJ freezes the read defender, it frees Glenn to rush upfield and block a linebacker, so Spiller only has to beat a DB for a big play.

Mahdi
09-30-2014, 02:20 PM
FWIW, watch the first highlight on this video and you can see how the read works even if the QB doesn't keep it.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/0ap3000000402257/Week-4-Bills-vs-Texans-highlights

Because EJ freezes the read defender, it frees Glenn to rush upfield and block a linebacker, so Spiller only has to beat a DB for a big play.

Agreed but seems like when EJ runs it he isn't getting a good look at the field while he's faking the handoff so it renders the fake useless.

IlluminatusUIUC
09-30-2014, 02:35 PM
Agreed but seems like when EJ runs it he isn't getting a good look at the field while he's faking the handoff so it renders the fake useless.

Right, the problem is with EJ (and Spiller to a lesser extent), not the concept. It's a bad fit.

better days
09-30-2014, 04:16 PM

You mean like at the end of a game you are behind in............like last week?

Mace
09-30-2014, 04:44 PM

This can work fine if they stop trying to use their behemoth o-linemen to zone block. Use the behemoths as behemoths.

They don't really read/option, but they have quick read west coast elements with probable QB running options you never see because Manuel loses composure sometimes and flees outside the play.

Hopefully, Orton takes them back to meat and potatoes instead of trying to craft a fine dining medley on a hotplate.

DraftBoy
09-30-2014, 06:00 PM
I like the read option personally. The variations you can run off of it once you start running it effectively are endless.

I also like bubble screens. If you watched ND v. Syracuse on Saturday night you'll see one of the most elementary offensive schemes ever. It was simply counting the box and either throwing the ball to the outside or running a sprint from the shotgun formation. It worked over and over again.

The read option is based on a similar easy concept. One read and a decision. There isn't timing or progressions to worry about.

You probably can't base an entire offense in the NFL off of it but you can certainly have some success.

YardRat
09-30-2014, 06:17 PM
Considering Orton's 9 year resume includes 111 rushes for 282 yards and a 2.5 ypc, I would say yes.