PDA

View Full Version : My 2 cents

ghz in pittsburgh
09-30-2014, 11:32 AM
The overwhelming sense I got from the Houston's game, aside from Xs and Os, plays made or not made, is that Bills teamates, particularly offensive players, lost faith in EJ Manuel. You can argue in the first half, Fitz probably had a worse game than EJ, but the way he carried himself, making key contributions like the 3rd and 9 conversion that led Texans' first TD, kept their team in the game (playing at home helps).

EJ just could not shake off that fatal mistake until the Williams TD, which brought the team back to life a bit. For a young team, partcularly on offense where so many key rookie and 2nd year guys, Marrone is faced with losing the team if he sticks with EJ. You gotta believe this team, from top to bottom, believed they can compete this year unlike years past where you saw obvious talent gap. If there is options available at QB position - everyone can see in practice field daily, you just have to pull the trigger now.

I don't know where Kyle Orton is at this point of his career. Not sure he can regain his form from more than 2 years ago where he's decent. But at least he is a veteran, have some credible resume that can restore hopes and be the leader on offense. I'm hoping he can do just enough for the Bills this year since the division looks weak. I'd venture to say if the Bills can go 5-1 in their division (which does not look that daunting at this time), it would be enough to get to the playoff.

I talked to a buddy of mine who's in the business and who watches NFL films all the time about EJ Manuel last night. He didn't think Manuel's performance is all that different 1st two games to the last two games, and in general looks to be better than last year. He thinks the Bills opened up the playbook more this year, and you can easily see his mind was spinning too much on the field. The proof is that it is not always late - sometimes he plays too fast, sometimes he plays too late, kind of randomness.

I'm guessing Manuel is proving what so many experts have said about him - raw, needs time. I suppose he's finally getting that time now where he stands behind Orton to learn the pro game. Circumstances of last year allowed the coaching staff making the unwise decision of pushing Manuel to the front, now we are back to unknown and wonder if some damage can be undone over the course of the season for him.

I said it 5 months ago and I'll say it again: I would never trade away my 1st round pick because that is the insurance NFL provides. If you s.u.c.k bad one year, NFL insures that you win the lottery next year in terms of the draft. Right now the Bills have no chance of a Manning/Luck next year.

stuckincincy
09-30-2014, 11:50 AM
Well, they are in their 15th year of being up there in that lottery, and nothing yet.

casdhf
09-30-2014, 12:01 PM
We are not going to finish in the bottom 5 of the league regardless of who our QB is.

HHURRICANE
09-30-2014, 12:04 PM
Good thread! I agree.

trapezeus
09-30-2014, 12:06 PM
We are not going to finish in the bottom 5 of the league regardless of who our QB is.

i think if the locker room fell apart, the bills could easily nosedive. like if ej stayed playing the same and the losses racked up and the WR were just fed up. i could see a top 5 pick.