X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DesertFox24
    • Jul 2005

Hackett not the Problem

Look this article is probably the biggest indictment I have seen against EJ, and it pains me to say that I was wrong.

Maybe it was the fact that I really liked the team Buddy Nix and Whaley had assembled and the fact that Nix was on staffs that picked Rivers and Brees consecutively so I thought he knew a thing or two about the position.

Then you get Trent Dilfer saying EJ should never have been played at this point and needs to develop, which to my credit I said that day 1 he was drafted. I wanted Kolb to start the whole season last year because I did not think EJ was ready but had physical tools you could project as a good QB.

All that aside Vic nailed it with this article

• Mace
    Haha...yeah you think so ?
    • Mar 2013

Re: Hackett not the Problem

I like Carucci, but I think he needs some work in modern media application and MS Paint.

Comment

• SpikedLemonade
      • Jun 2024

Hackett is still one of the problems.

Comment

• Goobylal
        • Jan 2004

Yeah, against a team with the 5th worst rush defense and the game never out of reach, Hackett calls 45 passing plays and just 22 running plays, and when the running game is averaging 4.2 YPC. Yep, Hackett is a stud.

Comment

• YardRat
          Well, lookie here...
          • Dec 2004

The play calling certainly is questionable, but if EJ has been missing 'wide open receivers all over the field' that's a feather for play design in Hackett's cap. That being said, I certainly did like the middle of the field being left barren by receivers during the last drive of Sunday's game.
          YardRat Wall of Fame
          #56 DARRYL TALLEY
          #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• DesertFox24
            • Jul 2005

I counted on several occassions in teh 4 games and there are 8 and 9 guys in the box. Until we can win by passing deep we will not be able to run effectively.

This is why CJ did so well with Fitz, teams had to respect Fitz's passing ability to a point. They did not defend deep but he was so good over the middle and got ride of the ball so quick they could not load the box.

If Orton can hit on some long balls and hit these open WRs then the running game should open up even more and we will see Hackett for what he should be.

Like I said I was a huge EJ fan till I saw that.

The Watt interception one was terrible, not because he threw to jackson his primary read but because he starred their the whole time allowing Watt to anticipate the pass to jackson in the flat instead of rushing EJ. Had he looked left after the snap and then go to jackson we probably win the game.

Comment

• Gibby
              • Jun 2006

Nope sorry, Hackett is not the only problem, but he is a major problem. EJ, and his inability to be accurate, was another problem, the OL is also a problem. That being said, Hackett is also a major part of the problem. Houston and New England are both gawd awful against the run this year. Last night, the Chiefs OC passed the Ball 26 times, and ran the **** out of the ball (I think it was something like 35 times). Why? Simple because New England is bad against the run and Jamaal Charles and that Davis kid of theirs are an amazing 1-2 punch. We played a team that can't really stop the run and decided to outsmart them by passing against them when it turns out that Houston is decent against the pass and we suck at it. Yes, we have some good receivers, however, our QBs are substandard. An occassional pass is okay, but we should be a lot more run heavy. Hackett just does not game plan well.

Comment

• Mace
                • Mar 2013

Originally posted by Goobylal View Post
                Yeah, against a team with the 5th worst rush defense and the game never out of reach, Hackett calls 45 passing plays and just 22 running plays, and when the running game is averaging 4.2 YPC. Yep, Hackett is a stud.
                I really don't like Hackett and agree.

I realized a flaw in my logic though last couple days, I don't have a clue if Manuel audibled out of running plays, or what the passing plays were really meant to do either if there was a real QB to execute them.

Hackett is surely a problem, but there's no way of telling how much of one, I guess I have come to think.

We'll find out pretty quick now though.

Comment

• DesertFox24
                  • Jul 2005

Originally posted by MST3KBillsfan View Post
                  Nope sorry, Hackett is not the only problem, but he is a major problem. EJ, and his inability to be accurate, was another problem, the OL is also a problem. That being said, Hackett is also a major part of the problem. Houston and New England are both gawd awful against the run this year. Last night, the Chiefs OC passed the Ball 26 times, and ran the **** out of the ball (I think it was something like 35 times). Why? Simple because New England is bad against the run and Jamaal Charles and that Davis kid of theirs are an amazing 1-2 punch. We played a team that can't really stop the run and decided to outsmart them by passing against them when it turns out that Houston is decent against the pass and we suck at it. Yes, we have some good receivers, however, our QBs are substandard. An occassional pass is okay, but we should be a lot more run heavy. Hackett just does not game plan well.

Yeah but they had a QB that can make a throw on third down as Smith did time and time again last night. That was point why run against 8 or 9 in the box. We have to show we can pass to be able to run.

If you are a def coordinator you are goign to make EJ beat you not Fred and CJ, that is common sense.

Seeing the pass plays that EJ missed in 4 games not just against the Texans set this offense back in my opinion. I thought he would get better after the games started and that was not the case shame on me.

He is a great young man but was not ready to play and was over drafted, we should have sat him on the bench for 2 seasons and not played him till next year.

Comment

• DesertFox24
                    • Jul 2005

Originally posted by Mace View Post
                    I really don't like Hackett and agree.

I realized a flaw in my logic though last couple days, I don't have a clue if Manuel audibled out of running plays, or what the passing plays were really meant to do either if there was a real QB to execute them.

Hackett is surely a problem, but there's no way of telling how much of one, I guess I have come to think.

We'll find out pretty quick now though.
                    I agree with this.

Kyle Orton is no savior but he will be respected. The advantage for us is Detroit has to go find film of him from Denver as no one has seen anything from him in years.

Actually that is probably really bad for us, lol.

Comment

• jimmifli
                      • Nov 2006

Originally posted by Mace View Post
                      I like Carucci, but I think he needs some work in modern media application and MS Paint.

Comment

• BillsImpossible
                        • Mar 2013

Nathaniel Hackett put his offense, and EJ Manuel in particular in plenty of positions to win all 4 games.

Comment

• imbondz
                          Democrats are people too
                          • Jan 2003

Nashville radio rarely talks about the Bills and they ripped EJ today, saying he's the least accurate QB in the league. ugh.
                          My faith doesn’t make me perfect, it makes me forgiven.

Comment

• Mace
                            • Mar 2013

Originally posted by jimmifli View Post
                            lmao

Comment

• Don't Panic
                              All-Pro Zoner
                              • Dec 2005

Originally posted by imbondz View Post
                              Nashville radio rarely talks about the Bills and they ripped EJ today, saying he's the least accurate QB in the league. ugh.
                              Nashville radio is looking outside Nashville for a conversation on poor QB play? Hmmm....

Comment

Working...
                              X