• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dr. Lecter
    Zero for Zero!
    • Mar 2003

Theo Fleury shaking the demons

CALGARY, Alberta -- It's been nine years and two weeks since former NHL star Theo Fleury had a drink. It's been almost 11 years from the time he bought a gun in a Santa Fe, New Mexico, pawn shop, drove home, put the barrel in his mouth and thought about pulling the trigger.

He doesn't miss the drinking. In fact, he said he doesn't even remember the last drink he had.

He no longer has suicidal thoughts. He never even really wanted to kill himself, he said. He just wanted to stop the pain that tormented him each and every day.

He doesn't seem to miss his NHL playing days either. Doesn't keep in touch with many of his old hockey buddies. His tight-knit inner circle now includes an Irishman who manages his band, Theo Fleury and The Death Valley Rebels, a Serbian peace officer he met at his sons' soccer game and a former AHL tough guy who now works in the drilling business.

Distance from his former life has provided him perspective. Fleury, 46, would be happy if none of the things from his past defined him. He'd be thrilled if, looking back at his life, someone were to remark: "Hey, you know, he was a pretty good hockey player too."

"I would love that," Fleury told ESPN.com in a lengthy sit-down interview last week. "Hockey was the vehicle and it gave me everything I have, but it was only the first 35 years of my life. I still have 35 years left to live, and I certainly want to make a difference in the next 35."

Though he leaves behind an indelible legacy on the ice, the former Stanley Cup champion, Olympic gold medalist, Canada Cup winner and World Junior champion has a new purpose in life.

He wants to help. He wants others to heal.

"I chose to live my life -- every little detail -- publicly because I know how many people it's helped. I know how many people have taken the noose off their neck, I know how many people have put the gun down, how many people that have not taken the whole bottle of pills," Fleury said. "What I want to encourage people is, it's OK to tell your story. One day you're going to tell your story, and it's going to save someone's life."
    Former superstar and recovering alcoholic Theo Fleury is on the road to recovery while dedicating his life to helping others who have been abused, writes Katie Strang.

Everybody should read "Playing With Fire". It is one of the most powerful books I have ever read. Very disturbing in spots. But just an incredible story.
    Originally posted by mysticsoto
    Lecter is right in everything he said.
  • mightysimi
    Buckle me in on the highway of sin
    • Mar 2010

Re: Theo Fleury shaking the demons

He tried out for the flames a few years back and probably should have made the team. He was leading the team in pre-season scoring but they had their top 6 and he wasn't bottom 6 material.

Comment

• JATMtheJATM
      • Aug 2012

was one of my favs growing up. whenever i played NHL 99, fleury was always on my first like. skated like the wind.
      Flag of Ukraine.svg

Comment

• MitchMurrayDowntown
        Skoobasaurus-Rex
        • Oct 2011

Crazy.

Comment

• chernobylwraiths
          • Jan 2003

Originally posted by Dr. Lecter View Post
          http://espn.go.com/nhl/story/_/id/11...-others-abused

Everybody should read "Playing With Fire". It is one of the most powerful books I have ever read. Very disturbing in spots. But just an incredible story.
          If you still have it, I would like to borrow it.

Comment

• Dr. Lecter
            Zero for Zero!
            • Mar 2003

I'll bring it sometime when we go to to a game
            Originally posted by mysticsoto
            Lecter is right in everything he said.

Comment

Working...
            X