PDA

View Full Version : First half analysis

YardRat
10-05-2014, 01:12 PM
Offense---No running game? No downfield throws? No EJ. Because the interior oline sucks. Second week in a row that three guys are getting owned by one dlineman. It isn't play calling, it's execution, and execution starts up front. Despite the pick 6, Orton looks like he's getting more comfortable as the game goes on, they just need to keep the pressure off and man-up for Freddie and CJ.

Defense---Except for penalties, actually a pretty dominating performance. 96 yards, 4 sacks, a turnover. They've been in Stafford's face most of the day, also.

Special teams...weak coverage on punts have helped lead to short fields...not their best half of the season by any means.

Referees---what's the count? 9 on Buffalo, three on Detroit? I think it was 9-1 prior to the two minute warning. Bull****...especially the hold on Gilmore, that was a terrible ticky-tack call.

Novacane
10-05-2014, 01:16 PM
interior oline is embarrassing. I wonder how anyone else can be fairly evaluated when there's no time to do anything

Mace
10-05-2014, 02:07 PM
I don't like the offensive coaching. Playcalling : run on long downs deep in your own end, pass on 3rd and 3 in theirs. Get the ball and start driving with 1:14 but go into the half with all 3 timeouts. Decline a penalty would have left 14 seconds left and a 4th & 2, punt.

Traditionally you make up for a bad o-line with lots of play action or quick release plays, lots of power running.

Personnel : They telegraph it, if Spiller is in the backfield he can't block, if Lee Smith is in, he only will. 2 backs ? What a crazy idea. A quick pass to Lee Smith while using 2 TE's, no way !

Marrone, Hackett, Morris the line coach, and Downng the QB coach are all terrible.

cookie G
10-05-2014, 03:03 PM
The Oline came up huge in pass protection in the 2nd half.

Luckily, we had a QB who could do something with it when he had the time.

YardRat
10-05-2014, 03:08 PM
Yes they did cookie...