PDA

View Full Version : OpIv37's postgame comments

OpIv37
10-05-2014, 05:14 PM
There was something really interesting about this game.

Detroit lost this game in the same manner that the Bills have lost so many games over the years. The D holds their own for 3+ quarters, then finally cracks in the 4th after being on the field too long (to a backup QB, no less). Then, they end up losing on the most improbable of plays (a 58 yard FG), and someone formerly affiliated with the team was instrumental in the victory (Schwartz). While it was an ugly game, it was nice to be on the positive end of that situation for once.

-Orton's pick 6 was very EJ-like and disappointing, but he got better as the game went on. I'm not convinced yet but I do think he can be decent enough to win. The throw to Goodwin was amazing.
-I know Detroit has a good D overall and a very strong DL, but the OL was not up to the challenge. If they don't improve, the QB isn't going to matter.
-I love the way FJax finishes every single run. He's a big reason why we won today.
-Gragg needs more snaps. Lee Smith needs fewer.
-Watkins didn't have a great game but the plays he made were huge. And every game, there are at least a few plays where he is so open that it makes my jaw drop (even if the QB can't always get him the ball)
-Props to the coaches for not abandoning the run and keeping the D honest.
-We got under 2:00 with a full compliment of timeouts in both halves. Can't remember the last time that happened.
-Robert Woods was so irrelevant that I almost forgot he was on the team.
-I'm very tired of veteran stars like Gilmore and Spiller not coming through. Spiller's utter lack of development is very disappointing.
-Charles and the other backup DT's filled in for K Williams nicely.
-Dareus had a huge game.
-Preston Brown was solid aside from the dumb penalty on the QB slide.
-Schwartz called a great game against his old team.
-Speaking of penalties, still far too many. Everyone has to improve in that regard.
-Props to Carpenter for making that kick.
-Some people will say that we beat Detroit with Calvin Johnson playing hurt and out for most of the game, and they also had to use their 3rd string RB. True, but Kyle Williams was hurt and we already lost Kiko for the season, so two of our best defenders were out for the entire game.
-Props to Golden Tate for a great game. Hate to do it, but I have to respect that kind of performance from an ND guy.

Forward_Lateral
10-05-2014, 05:15 PM
Marcel was awesome. He's just as disruptive as Suh.

Skooby
10-05-2014, 05:16 PM
Acid douching asswipe seems right.

Typ0
10-05-2014, 06:12 PM
I am kind of tired of the bashing on Hackett. I like the games he's calling. He seems to want to teach the team how to win consistently. People always seem to be *****ing about the conservative calls but playing smart and doing it the whole game is what's going to be able to beat good defenses.

Mace
10-05-2014, 06:38 PM
I am kind of tired of the bashing on Hackett. I like the games he's calling. He seems to want to teach the team how to win consistently. People always seem to be *****ing about the conservative calls but playing smart and doing it the whole game is what's going to be able to beat good defenses.

He'll woo me if the offense shifts course according to o-line issues, Orton and not stupid playcalls.

I don't like the games he's calling. They are scattershot and iffy. Last week, in a close game, he chose to pass more than run against a poor rushing D. This week, he called runs near their own goal, and a pass on 3rd and 3 near theirs, they do not have reliable short yardage offense or any functional game plan pattern every game, to attack weaknesses methodically.

At best, he gives you a "gee whiz" drive by drive game, and at worst seems totally lost and defaults to "umm, I dunno, run Spiller up the middle, I'm out of mic time !"

fortunesmith
10-05-2014, 07:22 PM
-Robert Woods was so irrelevant that I almost forgot he was on the team.

Woods made several outstanding blocks, including one that sprung Freddy for a big gain in the 3rd. He is far from irrelevant.

Buffalogic
10-05-2014, 07:28 PM
There was something really interesting about this game.

Detroit lost this game in the same manner that the Bills have lost so many games over the years. The D holds their own for 3+ quarters, then finally cracks in the 4th after being on the field too long (to a backup QB, no less). Then, they end up losing on the most improbable of plays (a 58 yard FG), and someone formerly affiliated with the team was instrumental in the victory (Schwartz). While it was an ugly game, it was nice to be on the positive end of that situation for once.

This.

Buffalogic
10-05-2014, 07:30 PM
I am kind of tired of the bashing on Hackett. I like the games he's calling. He seems to want to teach the team how to win consistently. People always seem to be *****ing about the conservative calls but playing smart and doing it the whole game is what's going to be able to beat good defenses.Typ0 the way he manages the running game is amateurish at best.

Running game should be carrying the team, but in this game it basically just took downs away from us. We need to be a lot more creative on the ground.

BidsJr
10-05-2014, 07:33 PM
Nobody cares what you think.

OpIv37
10-05-2014, 07:55 PM

well nobody made you open and read the thread. If you don't care what I think, put me on ignore or just don't click on the thread. It makes no difference to me.

And the thread got responses, so clearly some people care.

Novacane
10-05-2014, 08:08 PM
well nobody made you open and read the thread. If you don't care what I think, put me on ignore or just don't click on the thread. It makes no difference to me.

And the thread got responses, so clearly some people care.

Just like Ralph Wilson didn't make you watch his team all those years.

OpIv37
10-05-2014, 08:39 PM
Just like Ralph Wilson didn't make you watch his team all those years.

Again, it's not about me.

If you're going to field a football team, the goal is to win. In that regard, Ralph failed. Don't forget it.

malvado78
10-05-2014, 08:46 PM
I care. Thanks for the review OP. it wasnt on here but if it was I'd prolly would have turned it off at the half.

Novacane
10-05-2014, 09:19 PM
Again, it's not about me.

If you're going to field a football team, the goal is to win. In that regard, Ralph failed. Don't forget it.

It is about you. You make it about you. Be pissed at yourself not Ralph. You are the sucker that kept shelling out money to a man you couldn't stand.

DesertFox24
10-05-2014, 09:20 PM
Gilmore played we the TD was not his fault he had deep third and it was zone.

BADTHINGSMAN
10-05-2014, 09:42 PM
- Need to start turning FG's into TD's.

BTW agree with about everything on your review. Tate had me pulling my hair out.

BuffaloRedleg
10-05-2014, 10:02 PM
I bathed in Golden Tate's tears tonight after the game.

Seriously **** that guy and his little dances.

Save your little sashays around town until after the game is over.

OpIv37
10-06-2014, 08:07 AM
It is about you. You make it about you. Be pissed at yourself not Ralph. You are the sucker that kept shelling out money to a man you couldn't stand.
Yeah well I like the team that I grew up watching. I don't get to control who owns it.

Mahdi
10-06-2014, 08:21 AM
Marcel was awesome. He's just as disruptive as Suh.

Suh was powerful yesterday but Marcel was just as powerful with the added bonus of penetrating way more than Suh.

Pinkerton Security
10-06-2014, 08:42 AM
The misuse of Spiller is my biggest gripe with Hackett.

Is Freddy good on screens? yes, he is. Is Spiller very very good on screen plays? yes, he is, yet they seeminly REFUSE to give him screens. It seems so obvious.

CJ could be a Jamaal Charles-type guy, yet our coaches consistently misuse our most dynamic athlete, and it pisses me off.

bf1
10-06-2014, 08:56 AM
I'm done waiting for CJ to emerge. He is what he is.

my 6 year old son asked me why he always runs out of bounds. Yes it's that obvious. He often has cutback lanes. I think he plays scared honestly. Maybe his speed allowed him to get around the outside more in college.

DrGraves
10-06-2014, 08:58 AM
I'm so sick of them trying to stuff Spiller into the middle of the D-line. He can't run up the middle. Give it up already. If you want to run a couple misdirections or screens to him, fine. But this team would be much better off if the touches went 80/20 to Fred Jackson.

DrGraves
10-06-2014, 09:01 AM

Is Freddy good on screens? yes, he is. Is Spiller very very good on screen plays? yes, he is, yet they seeminly REFUSE to give him screens. It seems so obvious.

CJ could be a Jamaal Charles-type guy, yet our coaches consistently misuse our most dynamic athlete, and it pisses me off.

spot on man. spot on. Get CJ the ball in space. He is worthless in the traditional RB role. The fact that they won't give it up makes me think the FO is determined to turn him into trade bait or something.

The only thing that went well on in the Chan Gailey era was our screen game. Why can't we mix that in more often??

trapezeus
10-06-2014, 09:11 AM

spiller is running scared these days. i can't put my finger on it, but if we are benching ej, spiller is the next one to be looked at seriously. Freddy gets those yards when he runs into the pile. CJ is getting two yards. if it's a nagging injury or he's lost his confidence, i'm not against seeing what bryce brown has or Dixon has.

while spiller can still break a long one, i think i'd rather lose that ability and have a team that gets 4 yards a carry. that will only help the receivers as they are left in one on one coverage.

Typ0
10-06-2014, 04:06 PM
Everything changes when the QB is a threat to go downfield. There is purpose to the runs in question and that is to make sure the other team knows we are going to run them. Things have not clicked with the offense yet and I'm not going to throw the whole style of offense under the bus because some plays look like they don't fit while the QB sucks. Spiller doesn't do **** for you if every time he goes in you are looking to locate him in space ... that's like the QB staring down receivers. How does that work? You need to make the defense actually defend the whole field then punch them in the face. Maybe you don't break their nose and/or they don't fall down but it hurts.

YardRat
10-06-2014, 06:34 PM
It's difficult enough to get outside in this league with the speed of most defenders, let alone when the RB insists on trying to bounce a between the tackles run to the outside on his own. Spiller hitting a hole is like EJ throwing downfield...if it isn't wide-ass open, he isn't going there, and even when he does chances are less than 50% he's going to hit it. Trying to get Spiller outside more than a couple of times a game is futile, and even those few times need to be the perfect call against the perfect defensive set. More screens to Spiller is a nice idea to help him get into space, but don't discount that the probability is high when CJ is in the game, there's a LBer or safety whose first read is Spiller and his first couple of steps, and his responsibility is to zero in the outlet flank.

It's not all CJ's fault...the interior oline needs to be better to open up those holes in the trenches to give him an opportunity to squirt through and get to the next level, where his speed and shiftiness become valuable. The passing game in general needs to be better, to get guys to back out of the box. The passing game, specifically, needs to be more potent on the outside throws to back shells into a cover 2, instead of a cover 1 and definitely get the safeties back on their heels.

OpIv37
10-06-2014, 07:06 PM
Here's the issue with Spiller: there's no middle ground. It's either a spectacular gain for 20+ yards or a loss of 3 yards as he dances in the backfield looking for that hole big enough to drive a snow plow through.

Two years ago, those losses were worthwhile because he was still popping those big plays 2-3x a game. Now, he pulls it off more like once every 2 or 3 games.

trapezeus
10-07-2014, 07:38 AM
to me, it seems like if you have fred (a get small and get through the hole as well as a run guys over back) and you have a dixon (who will just steam roll you) you can really soften a DL from the constant 3-4 yard gains. it makes the 3rd downs managble. and then in the 3rd quarter when the game in on the line and you've worked over a DL, you bring in CJ because he will see slightly larger gaps and will have a chance to get through it.

but it really relies on how good dixon or brown is and if you want to dress one or both of them.

to me CJ still seems very gadgety.

Fletch
10-07-2014, 08:07 AM
Get CJ the ball in space.

Maybe it's not quite as easy as everyone here seems to think, finding that "space."

They said the same thing about Watkins, get him the ball on the sides and "in space" and he'll turn it into gold.

Well maybe that "space" that existed when both players were at Clemson comes at much more of a premium in the NFL. Combine that with the significant increase in the speed of the game and players and maybe it's just one of those things that doesn't translate well to the NFL.

At the beginning of the season so many here were talking about how we had the best RBs in the league. I wouldn't resign Spiller unless he comes cheap. His failures on 90% of his plays outweight the one time every other game that he breaks a long run.