PDA

View Full Version : Can the Bills afford Mario, Marcell, Kyle, and Jerry

ghz in pittsburgh
10-06-2014, 01:11 PM
Mario's contract cap hits the rest of the way: 2015 - $19 million, 2016 - $20 million, 2017 - $16.5 million
Kyle's: 2015 - $5.85 million, 2016 - 7 million
Marcell: 2015 - $8.06 million

Right now, I think the key FA at the end of this season are Jerry Hughes and CJ Spiller.

For what he did since he came over, Hughes can easily command $10+ million a year in a multiyear contract. But the big elephant in the room is Marcell. I don't see how the Bills will ever let him test FA, regardless they extend Kyle or not (probably not). Now you are talking about 40+ million tied up to a starting D Line alone. ot sure that's possible in managing your cap.

Then we have Spiller that the Bills admitted already in talk about an extension...

justasportsfan
10-06-2014, 01:15 PM
we'll see how the year ends.

JJ Watt makes Mario look like Kelsay
Hackett doesn't know how to use Spiller
Hughes is awesome.

The King
10-06-2014, 01:43 PM
Add Spikes to that list too.

Dr. Lecter
10-06-2014, 01:45 PM
I like Spikes, but starting Bradham, Alonso and Rivers/Brown is not a horrible thing.

justasportsfan
10-06-2014, 01:50 PM
I think they're grooming Brown to take Spikes job.

Ed
10-06-2014, 01:56 PM
Well as long as they never find a franchise qb they'll always be able to afford everyone else.

Ingtar33
10-06-2014, 01:57 PM
we are like 20-40 million under the cap right now... i don't think we'll have any problems.

better days
10-06-2014, 02:13 PM
we are like 20-40 million under the cap right now... i don't think we'll have any problems.

And we have an owner with deep pockets that is not in it to make money.

streetkings01
10-06-2014, 02:48 PM
Fitz's contract comes off our books next year..........that should free up some coin.

yordad
10-06-2014, 02:52 PM
I think Brown would go outside and BRadham inside

Buffalogic
10-06-2014, 02:52 PM
I think so too, but Spikes brings a nastiness and intensity that has been good for our team. Would love to keep him in the fold somehow.

Ed
10-06-2014, 02:58 PM
Fitz's contract comes off our books next year..........that should free up some coin.
Yeah, about 7 million for Fitz and another 10 million for Stevie Johnson alone. The Bills should have a ton of cap space to be aggressive in free agency next year. That's why I don't think giving up the extra first for Sammy is such a big deal.

THRILLHO
10-06-2014, 03:07 PM
Do we really need to re-sign Spiller? Outside of the occasional burst or kick return he seems ineffective.

BertSquirtgum
10-06-2014, 03:10 PM
If Spiller accepts a moderate contract I think the Bills should sign him. He sucks ass in pass protection but he is not being used correctly. Hackett is a terrible coordinator. Bills can easily afford to sign all these guys.

Buffalogic
10-06-2014, 03:12 PM
Do we really need to re-sign Spiller? Outside of the occasional burst or kick return he seems ineffective.At 3.5 mil why not? Throw some screens to the guy and he's worth every penny.

THRILLHO
10-06-2014, 03:14 PM
At 3.5 mil why not? Throw some screens to the guy and he's worth every penny.
I guess the 3.5 puts it I to perspective for me. I am still thinking about when RBs got paid a lot more than they do now. And the way everyone talks about it, like he's due a big pay day. So I can get behind re-signing him.

Buffalogic
10-06-2014, 03:26 PM
I guess the 3.5 puts it I to perspective for me. I am still thinking about when RBs got paid a lot more than they do now. And the way everyone talks about it, like he's due a big pay day. So I can get behind re-signing him.Yup yup. And with the way McCoy has been playing and his antics on and off the field, I wouldn't be shocked if the Eagles cut him outright in the offseason because he is scheduled to make 11 million. Teams don't want to pay that anymore for a RB. Spiller may not even be the top running back on the market, so he will have to take what he can get.

As for the D-line this is a good problem to have, finally. If they want to save money parting with Mario would be the way to go, but he makes a big impact even when he is not getting sacks because he is good at sealing the pocket and pushing the QBs to Dareus for him to gobble up. Mario will probably restructure because as he ages no team will pay him close to what we are paying him. We may be able to keep everyone.

BertSquirtgum
10-06-2014, 03:27 PM
There's no way Spiller accepts a 3.5 million a year contract. At the very least I see him wanting a 5 million a year contract. Which in my opinion is worth it for him but the Bills need to start using him correctly. Otherwise, it's a waste of money.

Buffalogic
10-06-2014, 03:40 PM
There could be a pretty decent RB market out there though that should drive his price down. Rice will probably be reinstated, McCoy cut, Peterson cut. RB's will be a thing to watch in the offseason for sure.

Ingtar33
10-06-2014, 03:56 PM
this will be spillers chance to get out of buffalo. all he needs to do is ask for 8 mil a year and not budge until FA hits then take the highest offer.

ghz in pittsburgh
10-06-2014, 04:01 PM
How about Spiller for Pettigrew if Detroit can throw in a pick? They have no running back and Bush is hurt. The Bills could use a TE, though I don't know how much Pettigrew can help.

coastal
10-06-2014, 04:20 PM
Kyle is one year older and missing time now.

doesn't matter... he isn't killing the cap and his value extends way out beyond simple production. He's rhe Fred Jackson of the defense. He retires a Bill.

Marcel better have an extension... Soon.

hughes... wouldn't break the bank for him but I'd be looking at a 3 year deal. Tops.

mario... :rofl: anyone that fakes a wrist surgery to avoid accountability doesn't deserve to wear the red, white and blue. If that doesn't convince you he has no place... Dude spent nearly $1 million on an engagement ring only to have the skeezer steal it... LOL! Kick this loser to the curb this offseason.

trapezeus
10-06-2014, 04:24 PM
why is another team going to pay for spiller? he's not a proven commodity. some hot games, and he seems to be lacking explosiveness. so part of me thinks the bills deal is one of the best in town.

i wouldn't touch spiller at this point in terms of negotiation.

the defense is getting expense, and frankly it's a good problem to have. i think th emoney will be there, from the reasons explained above. but i have a feeling hughes might be the odd man out. the guy is freakishly strong and the one i'd want to keep the most. in the detroit game, he was just shoving lineman back with almost no effort. and he's got a slender build

Buffalogic
10-06-2014, 04:29 PM
^Look at Sproles' yardage over the last two years. They aren't that great. And a team traded for him. There will always be a market for a player with a reputation of scoring from anywhere on the field.

SpikedLemonade
10-06-2014, 04:34 PM
Losing Spiller is no great loss.

trapezeus
10-06-2014, 04:38 PM
^Look at Sproles' yardage over the last two years. They aren't that great. And a team traded for him. There will always be a market for a player with a reputation of scoring from anywhere on the field.

but we'd be losing spiller, not trading him away.

i get your point. frankly, i am a little tired of the 1-2 yard running plays. show us dixon and brown...if they are any better. i'd sit CJ and tell him the same thing you told EJ "production is necessary"

seems like we are moving away from the SJ, the EJ, and perhaps the CJ.

chris66
10-06-2014, 04:41 PM
Sure they can. no one on offense is making any money. highest paid player is orton at 5 mil.

ghz in pittsburgh
10-06-2014, 04:48 PM
Sure they can. no one on offense is making any money. highest paid player is orton at 5 mil.

Eric Wood just got an extension. Glenn enters his contract year 2015

YardRat
10-06-2014, 05:00 PM
Searcy, Hairston, Easley and Smith are UFA's this off-season, also, along with Spikes, Hughes, and Pears...Dareus, Orton, Spiller, Gilmore, Chandler, FJax, Rivers, Glenn, Chandler, Bradham, Brooks, Brown in 2016, along with Charles (RFA).

A lot of those guys can probably be kept at reasonable cost (if they haven't already been upgraded). I'd like to see Spikes stick for another couple of years, but he may command big bucks and be ready to cash in...Good thing we appear to have LBer depth at the moment. Hughes should get a decent payday, hopefully here. Dareus, if he keeps up the pace, should get top dollar. Glenn, the following season, will be looking for an LT payday also.

Buffalogic
10-06-2014, 05:20 PM
but we'd be losing spiller, not trading him away.

i get your point. frankly, i am a little tired of the 1-2 yard running plays. show us dixon and brown...if they are any better. i'd sit CJ and tell him the same thing you told EJ "production is necessary"

seems like we are moving away from the SJ, the EJ, and perhaps the CJ.Spiller produced at an elite level under a different regime. EJ can't claim that.

CJ hasn't had more than 3 receptions in any game this year. That is absurd. It should be about 6-8. This guy excels as a pass catching, elusive back. He's not a grinder. Running him up the gut into a weak interior o-line is just dumbfounding.

Coaches are supposed to play to their player's strengths. If we refuse to do that with CJ then yes we should get rid of him because it does us no good trying to make him into something he is not. It would be a shame to lose a very talented player like that because of a stubborn and unimaginative gameplan for him.

Woodman
10-06-2014, 05:39 PM
I'll trust our new owner to DO what's needed.

Dr. Lecter
10-06-2014, 05:46 PM
mario... :rofl: anyone that fakes a wrist surgery to avoid accountability doesn't deserve to wear the red, white and blue. If that doesn't convince you he has no place... Dude spent nearly $1 million on an engagement ring only to have the skeezer steal it... LOL! Kick this loser to the curb this offseason.

Fake wrist injury

Uh-huh

coastal
10-06-2014, 05:50 PM
Fake wrist injury

Uh-huh
The circumstances surrounding that whole fiasco werent highly suspect?

Dr. Lecter
10-06-2014, 05:54 PM
It sounded like the usual Bills bungling the situation.

Since he seemed to actually have surgery, I don't think that he would fake it to that extent

BertSquirtgum
10-06-2014, 06:08 PM
The circumstances surrounding that whole fiasco werent highly suspect?

No, they weren't.

kscdogbillsfan1221
10-06-2014, 08:06 PM
Crazy, obscene thought but since kyle w isn'tggetting any younger, any chance we pursue n. Suh?

I'll await the flying bullets at my head

jamze132
10-06-2014, 08:18 PM
Bryce look d good in preseason. I'd like to see what he ca do.
Oh, and he looked good in Philly last year too...

Glad we traded for an inactive player...

BertSquirtgum
10-06-2014, 09:25 PM
Crazy, obscene thought but since kyle w isn'tggetting any younger, any chance we pursue n. Suh?

I'll await the flying bullets at my head

Couldn't imagine these D with Dareus and Suh in the middle. Crazy sick defense. He will command too much money for the Bills with Mario still employed, IMO.

BertSquirtgum
10-06-2014, 09:27 PM

He is still injured.

Dr. Lecter
10-06-2014, 09:43 PM
He hasn't been on any injury report

kingJofNYC
10-06-2014, 10:47 PM
Hughes is putting together two excellent years, but he won't be a bargain if this continues, which is what we want (a bargain and excellent play). The bargain for him would have been near the end of 2013, now you won't get a discount. Might have to Franchise Tag him. He has 18 QB pressures already this year, there's a reason our DTs are getting sacks. Hard to step up when the boys are collapsing inside and the heat is coming off the edge. Jerry was the most productive pass rusher in the league last year according to PFF, but that's because we minimized his snaps and putting him in good pass rush situations.

I want to keep Jerry around, but at the very least we need to Tag him and then draft a replacement. Can't allow players to walk with no replacement waiting on deck, we've done that way too much and it's caused this franchise nothing but problems.

YardRat
10-07-2014, 04:50 AM

Me too. We needed a run-stuffer in the middle, and got Spikes. We needed veteran depth at corner, and got Graham. We needed a vet QB because Lewis and Tuel suck and EJ is iffy at best, we paid for Orton. We needed an RT, and drafted two with alleged high levels of talent hoping one would out, and so far one has. We had the worst LBers in the league, and we got Spikes, Rivers, Alonzo, Brown, and Bradham is playing up to expectations. We needed playmakers and got Watkins, Woods and Williams. We needed a good D-coordinator and got Pettine, and then Schwartz. We needed good insurance at RB in case FJ or Spiller gets dinged, and traded for Brown and signed Dixon.

How anybody can ***** about what this front office has accomplished in the last year and a half is beyond me. If it does turn out that they whiffed on EJ, and the trade-off is all of the above, I'll take it.

YardRat
10-07-2014, 04:53 AM
Hughes is putting together two excellent years, but he won't be a bargain if this continues, which is what we want (a bargain and excellent play). The bargain for him would have been near the end of 2013, now you won't get a discount. Might have to Franchise Tag him. He has 18 QB pressures already this year, there's a reason our DTs are getting sacks. Hard to step up when the boys are collapsing inside and the heat is coming off the edge. Jerry was the most productive pass rusher in the league last year according to PFF, but that's because we minimized his snaps and putting him in good pass rush situations.

I want to keep Jerry around, but at the very least we need to Tag him and then draft a replacement. Can't allow players to walk with no replacement waiting on deck, we've done that way too much and it's caused this franchise nothing but problems.

If anything, this front office has already proven that's not how they do business, and it's the biggest difference between them and previous regimes.

DraftBoy
10-07-2014, 05:54 AM
Searcy, Hairston, Easley and Smith are UFA's this off-season, also, along with Spikes, Hughes, and Pears...Dareus, Orton, Spiller, Gilmore, Chandler, FJax, Rivers, Glenn, Chandler, Bradham, Brooks, Brown in 2016, along with Charles (RFA).

A lot of those guys can probably be kept at reasonable cost (if they haven't already been upgraded). I'd like to see Spikes stick for another couple of years, but he may command big bucks and be ready to cash in...Good thing we appear to have LBer depth at the moment. Hughes should get a decent payday, hopefully here. Dareus, if he keeps up the pace, should get top dollar. Glenn, the following season, will be looking for an LT payday also.

Of the UFA's this off-season you bring back Easley and Hughes and that's it. For 2016 you lock up Dareus, Gilmore, Glenn, Bradham, Brown, Charles, and maybe Spiller depending on his demand. I want to say FJax too but I'm just not sure how he'll look after another 27 games.

Mahdi
10-07-2014, 07:35 AM
All the talk about investing funds in our own guys better be true come March.

Spiller, Hughes, Dareus and Spikes all need to stay.

Detroit game was a good example of how you need depth to win. KW goes down and Charles steps up. Bradham and Alonso injured and we get great play from Brown and Rivers.

Spikes brings leadership and nasty to the defense that we need.

In FA we need to go after a Guard and a TE.

casdhf
10-07-2014, 08:14 AM
I like Hughes, but whoever plays that 4th spot is going to look good. Branch anyone?