PDA

View Full Version : Detroit's 2nd last possesion

ghz in pittsburgh
10-06-2014, 03:32 PM
<tbody>
1st and 10 at DET 11
(1:02) (Shotgun) M.Stafford pass short left to G.Tate to BUF 34 for 55 yards (N.Robey).

Timeout #2 by DET at 00:47.

1st and 10 at BUF 34
(:47) (Shotgun) M.Stafford scrambles right end ran ob at BUF 33 for 1 yard (B.Spikes).

2nd and 9 at BUF 33
(:38) (Shotgun) M.Stafford pass incomplete short right to R.Broyles.

3rd and 9 at BUF 33
(:35) (Shotgun) M.Stafford pass short left to G.Tate to BUF 32 for 1 yard (B.Spikes).

Timeout #2 by BUF at 00:26.

4th and 8 at BUF 32
(:26) A.Henery 50 yard field goal is No Good, Wide Left, Center-D.Muhlbach, Holder-S.Martin.

<thead>

</thead>

Did anyone cursed as much as I did on that first play? For a moment I thought he's going all the way.

On a side note, I saw McKelvin was really hot/pissed at Robey and Williams. He probably expressed what I was at that moment.

Next - I was sure Detroit was going to run the ball 3 times, pushing the line to inside 30 while using up all the timeouts we have down to one last play in regulation. Maybe that's why Spikes was in on all that series. But then Stafford ran out of bounds, and they started to threw incomplete passes...

Some said Detroit should punt the ball instead of the field goal try just because the previous misses. But I think there is no chance any NFL coach would punt in that situation unless your field goal kicker is hurt.

Buffalogic
10-06-2014, 03:42 PM
I liked McKelvin's attitude this game. The bills play with fire now and not with the 'here we go again' attitude that has plagued them for 30 years.

Skooby
10-06-2014, 03:45 PM
McKelvin seems to be getting into it & holding people accountable, as per communicating with him I'd say that's going to be a challenge.

OpIv37
10-06-2014, 04:00 PM
Actually, one of our dud coaches punted around the other team's 40 a few years back. It was early in a close game and early in the season, and it's largely credited with being the turning point as to when the team started crashing and burning.

Can't remember which coach or what year, but someone will fill me in.

Albany,n.y.
10-06-2014, 04:10 PM
Actually, one of our dud coaches punted around the other team's 40 a few years back. It was early in a close game and early in the season, and it's largely credited with being the turning point as to when the team started crashing and burning.

I remember Gailey punting from the 34 because he didn't trust Lindell.

jimmifli
10-06-2014, 04:25 PM

Greggggg. But it was because he talked about the importance of being hyper aggressive and then chickened out. That defintely hurts the reputation.

Meathead
10-06-2014, 04:48 PM
it also happened during the dickball years

Meathead
10-06-2014, 04:49 PM
Did anyone cursed as much as I did on that first play? For a moment I thought he's going all the way.

if you count pointing at the tv and cursing that the ref didnt catch the rt false start then yeah

Buffalogic
10-06-2014, 05:03 PM
^We had a few uncalled false starts in the second half. They could have been drive killers if they had been called. Glad they weren't teehee.

RedEyE
10-06-2014, 05:20 PM
Im not sure why they didn't run it and stop the clock with just seconds left or force Buftalo to burn timeouts. They did us a favor and it bit them on the ass

Buffalogic
10-06-2014, 05:22 PM
^very poorly managed by Detroit. If our coaches did that this board would be melting down.

coastal
10-06-2014, 05:29 PM
Leodis McKelvin is one of my favorite players on the Bills.

Scumbag College
10-06-2014, 06:46 PM
I was at the local Bills' bar watching the game. The final two minutes went from rollicking, to devastated, to absolute pandemonium.

This game the Bills lose 100 times out of a 100 after giving up that first play after the last punt in recent years. They would have either given up another play for 20 to 30 yards to lead to a chip shot FG or just laid down completely and gave up a TD.

Syderick
10-06-2014, 07:09 PM
I was at the local Bills' bar watching the game. The final two minutes went from rollicking, to devastated, to absolute pandemonium.

This game the Bills lose 100 times out of a 100 after giving up that first play after the last punt in recent years. They would have either given up another play for 20 to 30 yards to lead to a chip shot FG or just laid down completely and gave up a TD.

Must of been the 101st time.

OpIv37
10-06-2014, 07:17 PM
Some said Detroit should punt the ball instead of the field goal try just because the previous misses. But I think there is no chance any NFL coach would punt in that situation unless your field goal kicker is hurt.

Why it sucks to be a Bills fan #4213:

Someone makes a comment about how no NFL coach would ever do anything so stupid, and Bills fans respond with 3 separate examples by 3 separate coaches of our team doing it.

ghz in pittsburgh
10-06-2014, 07:28 PM
Why it sucks to be a Bills fan #4213:

Someone makes a comment about how no NFL coach would ever do anything so stupid, and Bills fans respond with 3 separate examples by 3 separate coaches of our team doing it.

As a potential last play or 2nd to last play, don't think so.

jimmifli
10-06-2014, 08:55 PM
^very poorly managed by Detroit. If our coaches did that this board would be melting down.
And rightly so. That was awful clock management.

Dr. Lecter
10-06-2014, 09:19 PM
He's been very good this year, last year and late the season before.

but people remember when he was not and won't let it go

swiper
10-06-2014, 09:49 PM

McMarbles

jimmifli
10-06-2014, 10:06 PM
Check out the in game win probability:

http://live.advancednflstats.com/index.php?gameid1=2014100502

IlluminatusUIUC
10-06-2014, 11:19 PM
And rightly so. That was awful clock management.

That wasn't clock management, it was kicker management. Caldwell recognized, rightly, that Henery was playing godawful and he wanted to get one more first down to make the kick more manageable. He probably should have changed tune once Stafford botched the first down, but it's sometimes hard to shift strategy on the fly.

Buddo
10-07-2014, 04:40 AM
That wasn't clock management, it was kicker management. Caldwell recognized, rightly, that Henery was playing godawful and he wanted to get one more first down to make the kick more manageable. He probably should have changed tune once Stafford botched the first down, but it's sometimes hard to shift strategy on the fly.

Exactly this. Last two downs, should have been run plays, and you then have the only shot at winning the game, before it goes to overtime, if your 'kicker' misses. Even if it was just the last down, that might have made all the difference time wise.

swiper
10-07-2014, 04:44 AM
Face it. If Detroit had a decent FG kicker, the Bills lose that game.

swiper
10-07-2014, 04:54 AM
And, to the surprise of no one....

http://www.freep.com/story/sports/nfl/lions/2014/10/06/detroit-lions-alex-henery-kickers/16807663/

Forward_Lateral
10-07-2014, 05:13 AM

This. He knows his kicker sucks, and the probability of making a 50 yarder is next to zero. He obviously was trying to get it further down the field, and rightfully so. If I was coaching Detroit, I would've punted the ball there. Your kicker hasn't made jack squat all year long. Looked HORRIBLE on his previous 47 yard attempt. Punt it, go to overtime and hope for a big play.