X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BillsImpossible
    • Mar 2013

The Troubles With CJ Spiller

We all knew this before the season started.

Spiller still can't block and he still can't run in between the tackles.

After Spiller made a major whiff on a block that got Kyle Orton sacked on their own 1 yard line, the coaches yanked him out of the game against Detroit.

In came Fred Jackson and he produced as usual. 49 yards on 10 carries for a 4.9 yards per carry average. Not bad for an, 'old man.'

Spiller had 10 carries for 8 yards against the same defense in Detroit for a paltry 0.8 yards per carry average.

That is horrible, and unacceptable.

Spiller had 3 receptions for 25 yards against the Lions. His longest gain of the day was 15 yards.

Jackson had 7 receptions for 58 yards against the Lions. His longest gain of the day was 26 yards.

Some people have been complaining that Hackett is not using Spiller the right way.

Is Hackett using Fred Jackson the right way?

Apparently, yes. Fred's having a great year so far. So how can one say Hackett's not using Spiller correctly?

What are they supposed to do? Turn Spiller in to a decoy running back and have him run more pass plays than running plays?

Doesn't that kind of defeat the purpose of having a running back?

More passing plays designed to go in the hands of CJ Spiller means less passing plays designed for Sammy Watkins and Robert Woods.

He needs to prove that he can be a running back first before the Bills offensive staff starts calling his number more often in the passing game.

Until Spiller can prove he's a running back first, and receiving threat second, the Bills should be playing the more productive player in Fred Jackson.
  • Scumbag College
    • Oct 2002

Re: The Troubles With CJ Spiller

Let's see how he does with Orton in there for a few weeks. I expect all of the players at talent positions to have their stats improve. Teams are going to have to respect the Bills' passing game now, which might make running for Spiller a little bit easier. I think Spiller has looked better as far as patience to find holes, waiting for blocks, etc. except for the Lions game where the interior of the line just had their asses handed to them by Suh and Co.
    Remember Kevin Everett in your thoughts.

Vote Nader in 2008!

http://www.votenader.org/

Comment

• BillsImpossible
      • Mar 2013

Originally posted by Scumbag College View Post
      Let's see how he does with Orton in there for a few weeks. I expect all of the players at talent positions to have their stats improve. Teams are going to have to respect the Bills' passing game now, which might make running for Spiller a little bit easier. I think Spiller has looked better as far as patience to find holes, waiting for blocks, etc. except for the Lions game where the interior of the line just had their asses handed to them by Suh and Co.
      Teams will have to respect the pass more now that the Bills have a competent quarterback, good point. But to say that Spiller has looked better, 'as far as patience to find holes, waiting for blocks, etc.' is not accurate. Spiller has regressed in terms of having patience to hit the hole.

Freddy has no problem hitting the hole.

I don't like the double standard here.

CJ doesn't produce so people blame Hackett.

Fred Jackson produces and people say, "well that's just Fred," and give no credit to Hackett.

It's a two way street.

Comment

• ParanoidAndroid
        My battery is low and it's getting dark.
        • Apr 2004

The Bills are going to draft a RB fairly early next year, after they get a guard.

Comment

• Night Train
          Retired - On Several Levels
          • Jul 2005

Spiller has a huge problem running between the Tackles.. and that's where you make your $$ in this league.

I like the guy but he's a Reggie Bush change of pace type that is better catching the ball in open space. Not sure he'll get the $$ he wants from the Bills but I always view RB's as a dime a dozen. Bills found 2 (Dixon,Brown) this past off-season and can easily find 1-2 more next spring.

Freddie (33) goes until he hits the wall but you don't throw good $$ at Spiller any more than you throw good $$ at Byrd. Makes no sense. Not core guys. (QB,LT,DE,DT).

Besides, I don't think Marrone sees him as a must have guy anymore.
          Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• YardRat
            Well, lookie here...
            • Dec 2004

Originally posted by Night Train View Post
            Spiller has a huge problem running between the Tackles.. and that's where you make your $$ in this league.

I like the guy but he's a Reggie Bush change of pace type that is better catching the ball in open space. Not sure he'll get the $$ he wants from the Bills but I always view RB's as a dime a dozen. Bills found 2 (Dixon,Brown) this past off-season and can easily find 1-2 more next spring.

Freddie (33) goes until he hits the wall but you don't throw good $$ at Spiller any more than you throw good $$ at Byrd. Makes no sense. Not core guys. (QB,LT,DE,DT).

Besides, I don't think Marrone sees him as a must have guy anymore.
            That's a good comparison NT.
            YardRat Wall of Fame
            #56 DARRYL TALLEY
            #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• Swiper
              Legendary Zoner
              • Sep 2010

He needs to learn to chip in with a block when it's needed.

Not being able to do that lessens his value.

Comment

• RedEyE
                • Jul 2002

I totally agree about spiller. But this is a running back by committee league. Its quite necessary to carry two or more backs now to be competitive in the run game anymore. Obviously this instantly lowers the value of most backs in the league. However the Bills aregoing to have to over pay for most FAs until they have a proven winnrr again in Buffalo. There is just nothing drawing above average FAs to WNY.

What I like about CJ is his natural speed. He is a pure scatback and can be deadly in the passing game behind a decent QB and an offense that suits. Like Reggie Bush he cannot be a 3 down back. He just doesn't have the vision, durability or blocking skills to be the premier back. He needs a back like FJax to create the offset.

With that being said I think CJ is fine if he doesn't ask for crazy money. The Bills instead should concentrate on finding a replacement for Fred. The old man plkays his heart out but just isn't getting any younger. He has maybe 2 yrs tops left in thus league. Maybe just 1. I think Boobie Dixon closely resembles Fred's style of play but I question his leadership qualities.

I say keep CJ for above average pay (just not crazy money).
                Focus on getting Dixon to follow FJax footsteps
                If either Dixon or CJ look to not be panning out turn draft focus to be either one their replacements.

Comment

• Luisito23
                  Men Have Superbowl Gold, Legends Have Platinum Hearts!!!
                  • Apr 2003

They should do their best to try and trade him while they can and move on.

He provides nothing and will probably be too expensive to keep.

Cut your losses now before you lose him for nothing, the last thing we need is to overpay for someone that shows up every now and then.
                  Last edited by Luisito23; 10-07-2014, 05:37 AM.
                  "Expect rejection, but expect more to overcome it."
                  ***Marv Levy.***

"Coach Levy is one of the most inspirational people that I have ever known."
                  ***Thurman Thomas.***

"You're not going to find a more classier, down-to-Earth person away from the field than Marv Levy. He's a guy who's pretty much made me what I am today as far as a professional player and a person."
                  ***Jim Kelly***

Marv Levy's Website

Comment

• casdhf
                    • Jul 2002

Fred can't sustain 25 touches a game. We need him fresh. I like the idea. CJ just has to do better
                    Originally posted by BillsZone Mod
                    cas,

I'm just letting you know that you have been given 2 points for telling Wys AKA Mark to kill himself.

BillsZone Mod

Comment

• coastal
                      Legendary Zoner
                      • Mar 2005

we beat someone a couple of years ago and all the sudden CJ was getting some run on ESPN with a post game interview.

that interview was awesome.

Comment

• Historian
                        2020-2023 AFC East Champions!
                        • Dec 2002

Trade him to SD or KC and watch him win a SB ring.

Then draft another guy who will be the runner of the future.

Wash, rinse, repeat.

Comment

• DraftBoy
                          Administrator
                          • Jul 2002

The thing I don't get with CJ is his utilization, he's not FJax of Dixon so why are we running him up the gut constantly against stacked boxes? It doesn't make any sense to me, I don't know that I've seen him run more than 1 or 2 pitches to the outside this year at all. He's run a few off tackle runs but if he doesn't see the hole clearly he's bouncing it outside and killing any positive gains he could make. Part of his problem is he's never had to get skinny in the hole because with his speed he's always been able to outrun everybody. So you have a guy who can't see a hole unless its gaping and doesn't know what to do to get through the hole either. They have to find a way to get him the ball in more space. Put him in the slot and run some bubble screens. Put him in a wildcat and see if that doesn't generate something. They have to continue to try new things with him.
                          COMING SOON...
                          Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
                          We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Comment

• ZAZusmc03
                            • Jan 2010

The fault is put on Hackett because he consistently calls plays for Spiller that are to his weaknesses. Gailey was able to get production out of Spiller because he got him in open space. Hackett doesn't grasp that concept.

Comment

• Mahdi
                              • Mar 2004

Spiller is fine running between the tackles. Jackson is just better because of his running style and even he could barely get any yardage against Detroit.

I expect CJ to have a big game against NE running inside and outside.

If Spiller was running behind the OL in Dallas he would be leading the league in rushing by a long stretch.

Comment

Working...
                              X