• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • YardRat
    Well, lookie here...
    • Dec 2004

A perspective on Mannings 500 TD passes

Yesterday, Peyton Manning threw four touchdown passes against Arizona. In the process, he joined Brett Favre as the only players in NFL history to throw 500 career touchdown passes. In previewing that game, Mike Tanier noted that it would require us to travel back to 1987 to collect 500 Cardinals touchdown throws. Natu

Pretty interesting read...counts back 500 passing TD's for every team in the league, and how far back you have to go to reach that mark.

If you think Buffalo's QB woes have been bad (we land in the middle of the pack), check out some of the other teams (Cleveland and NYJets especially).
    YardRat Wall of Fame
    #56 DARRYL TALLEY
    #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS
  • YardRat
    Well, lookie here...
    • Dec 2004

Re: A perspective on Mannings 500 TD passes

Just a side note, when looking over the amount of names on just about everybody's list, going back in some cases almost 30 years, hopefully it becomes obvious how difficult it is for a team to 'hit' on a 'franchise' quarterback.
    YardRat Wall of Fame
    #56 DARRYL TALLEY
    #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• Luisito23
      Men Have Superbowl Gold, Legends Have Platinum Hearts!!!
      • Apr 2003

Originally posted by YardRat View Post
      hopefully it becomes obvious how difficult it is for a team to 'hit' on a 'franchise' quarterback.

Yet the Colts hit on back to back, once in a generation QBs and their dumb ass fans still complaining.
      "Expect rejection, but expect more to overcome it."
      ***Marv Levy.***

"Coach Levy is one of the most inspirational people that I have ever known."
      ***Thurman Thomas.***

"You're not going to find a more classier, down-to-Earth person away from the field than Marv Levy. He's a guy who's pretty much made me what I am today as far as a professional player and a person."
      ***Jim Kelly***

Marv Levy's Website

Comment

• kscdogbillsfan1221
        • Nov 2007

Originally posted by Luisito23 View Post
        Yet the Colts hit on back to back, once in a generation QBs and their dumb ass fans still complaining.
        3 if you count elway who then forced a trade.
        I came.
        I saw.
        I conquered.

Comment

• Dr. Lecter
          Zero for Zero!
          • Mar 2003

Fergie is on the list for Tampa!!!!!!
          Originally posted by mysticsoto
          Lecter is right in everything he said.

Comment

• Historian
            2020-2023 AFC East Champions!
            • Dec 2002

I would have thought Jimbo had more than 151.

I wonder what his USFL numbers are?

Comment

• Ginger Vitis
              • Feb 2009

Originally posted by Historian View Post
              I would have thought Jimbo had more than 151.

I wonder what his USFL numbers are?
              Jim threw 237 TD passes as a Bill

Comment

• Gibby
                • Jun 2006

Originally posted by kscdogbillsfan1221 View Post
                3 if you count elway who then forced a trade.
                How does that franchise keep striking gold, or at least silver or Bronze at QB? I think only Dallas has had anywhere near as much success at finding qbs as the Colts. I mean look at the colts since they came into the league in 53:

Unitas (I say he is platinum as there is a good case to be made that statistics aside he is the greatest qb in NFL history).
                Morrall
                Jones (if he could have stayed healthier longer, perhaps the most underrated of qbs)
                Elway (so he went to Denver, so that's a bronze)
                George (Unitas and Manning are Platinum, and Jones and Luck are at least gold. George is Silver, not Indy's fault he was a headcase. Great talent but bad brain)
                Harbaugh (one of the most underrated qbs of his time)
                Manning
                Luck

Unitas and Elway are HOF. Manning and Luck will be. Jones, Morrall, George, and Harbaugh were qbs you could build a team around.

Comment

• Historian
                  • Dec 2002

I don't think it's as great a feat when most of your passes were thrown indoors.

Comment

• Buffalogic
                    Rumblin' Stumblin' Bumblin'
                    • Feb 2006

^True, but still. Peyton is what he is. Smart guy, regular season hero. He melts down in pressure situations though. Andy Dalton does the same thing. Can't have the yips as a qb and be considered the best.

Comment

• feldspar
                      • Mar 2007

Originally posted by MST3KBillsfan View Post
                      How does that franchise keep striking gold, or at least silver or Bronze at QB? I think only Dallas has had anywhere near as much success at finding qbs as the Colts. I mean look at the colts since they came into the league in 53:

Unitas (I say he is platinum as there is a good case to be made that statistics aside he is the greatest qb in NFL history).
                      Morrall
                      Jones (if he could have stayed healthier longer, perhaps the most underrated of qbs)
                      Elway (so he went to Denver, so that's a bronze)
                      George (Unitas and Manning are Platinum, and Jones and Luck are at least gold. George is Silver, not Indy's fault he was a headcase. Great talent but bad brain)
                      Harbaugh (one of the most underrated qbs of his time)
                      Manning
                      Luck

Unitas and Elway are HOF. Manning and Luck will be. Jones, Morrall, George, and Harbaugh were qbs you could build a team around.
                      What about the Green Bay Packers? Bart Starr, Brett Favre, and Aaron Rodgers. Hell, they haven't had to worry about a quarterback at all for like 23 years, or something like that.

The 49ers hit on Joe Montana and Steve Young back-to-back as well...that was good for about 2 decades of being in contention.

Comment

• Gibby
                        • Jun 2006

Originally posted by feldspar View Post
                        What about the Green Bay Packers? Bart Starr, Brett Favre, and Aaron Rodgers. Hell, they haven't had to worry about a quarterback at all for like 23 years, or something like that.

The 49ers hit on Joe Montana and Steve Young back-to-back as well...that was good for about 2 decades of being in contention.
                        Ask any Pack fans, well those old enough to remember, it was loooooooooong time between Starr and Majikowski
                        Also, yeah the Niners have been mostly good with QBs since the 60s as well (the mid 2000s were a ***** for them but yeah).
                        The Dolphins for a time too, at least until Marino retired, had great success. However, that's still only 5 of 32 teams.

Comment

• Historian
                          • Dec 2002

Not to take anything away from him, he's a first ballot HOFer.

I just think it's easier to rack up the stats in a perfect environment.

Moreso for the kickers, but consider how strong Kelly's arm had to be to complete passes in the November and December winds at the Ralph.

Even Marino had the heat to contend with.

Comment

• feldspar
                            • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Historian View Post
                            Not to take anything away from him, he's a first ballot HOFer.

I just think it's easier to rack up the stats in a perfect environment.

Moreso for the kickers, but consider how strong Kelly's arm had to be to complete passes in the November and December winds at the Ralph.

Even Marino had the heat to contend with.
                            It's hard to compare quarterbacks that played in different eras.

But Peyton Manning broke a bunch of significant records playing in the bad weather in Denver last year. That's worth mentioning.

Comment

• Buffalogic
                              Rumblin' Stumblin' Bumblin'
                              • Feb 2006

Young was in Tampa first and was traded to san fran if I remember correctly.

Comment

Working...
                              X