PDA

View Full Version : A perspective on Mannings 500 TD passes

YardRat
10-07-2014, 05:01 AM
http://www.footballperspective.com/500-touchdown-passes/

Pretty interesting read...counts back 500 passing TD's for every team in the league, and how far back you have to go to reach that mark.

If you think Buffalo's QB woes have been bad (we land in the middle of the pack), check out some of the other teams (Cleveland and NYJets especially).

YardRat
10-07-2014, 05:05 AM
Just a side note, when looking over the amount of names on just about everybody's list, going back in some cases almost 30 years, hopefully it becomes obvious how difficult it is for a team to 'hit' on a 'franchise' quarterback.

Luisito23
10-07-2014, 05:22 AM
hopefully it becomes obvious how difficult it is for a team to 'hit' on a 'franchise' quarterback.

Yet the Colts hit on back to back, once in a generation QBs and their dumb ass fans still complaining.

kscdogbillsfan1221
10-07-2014, 07:09 AM
Yet the Colts hit on back to back, once in a generation QBs and their dumb ass fans still complaining.

3 if you count elway who then forced a trade.

Dr. Lecter
10-07-2014, 07:23 AM
Fergie is on the list for Tampa!!!!!!

Historian
10-07-2014, 08:38 AM
I would have thought Jimbo had more than 151.

I wonder what his USFL numbers are?

Ginger Vitis
10-07-2014, 09:58 AM
I would have thought Jimbo had more than 151.

I wonder what his USFL numbers are?

Jim threw 237 TD passes as a Bill

Generalissimus Gibby
10-07-2014, 10:00 AM
3 if you count elway who then forced a trade.

How does that franchise keep striking gold, or at least silver or Bronze at QB? I think only Dallas has had anywhere near as much success at finding qbs as the Colts. I mean look at the colts since they came into the league in 53:

Unitas (I say he is platinum as there is a good case to be made that statistics aside he is the greatest qb in NFL history).
Morrall
Jones (if he could have stayed healthier longer, perhaps the most underrated of qbs)
Elway (so he went to Denver, so that's a bronze)
George (Unitas and Manning are Platinum, and Jones and Luck are at least gold. George is Silver, not Indy's fault he was a headcase. Great talent but bad brain)
Harbaugh (one of the most underrated qbs of his time)
Manning
Luck

Unitas and Elway are HOF. Manning and Luck will be. Jones, Morrall, George, and Harbaugh were qbs you could build a team around.

Historian
10-07-2014, 10:39 AM
I don't think it's as great a feat when most of your passes were thrown indoors.

Buffalogic
10-07-2014, 10:48 AM
^True, but still. Peyton is what he is. Smart guy, regular season hero. He melts down in pressure situations though. Andy Dalton does the same thing. Can't have the yips as a qb and be considered the best.

feldspar
10-07-2014, 10:52 AM
How does that franchise keep striking gold, or at least silver or Bronze at QB? I think only Dallas has had anywhere near as much success at finding qbs as the Colts. I mean look at the colts since they came into the league in 53:

Unitas (I say he is platinum as there is a good case to be made that statistics aside he is the greatest qb in NFL history).
Morrall
Jones (if he could have stayed healthier longer, perhaps the most underrated of qbs)
George (Unitas and Manning are Platinum, and Jones and Luck are at least gold. George is Silver, not Indy's fault he was a headcase. Great talent but bad brain)
Manning
Luck

Unitas and Elway are HOF. Manning and Luck will be. Jones, Morrall, George, and Harbaugh were qbs you could build a team around.

What about the Green Bay Packers? Bart Starr, Brett Favre, and Aaron Rodgers. Hell, they haven't had to worry about a quarterback at all for like 23 years, or something like that.

The 49ers hit on Joe Montana and Steve Young back-to-back as well...that was good for about 2 decades of being in contention.

Generalissimus Gibby
10-07-2014, 11:23 AM
What about the Green Bay Packers? Bart Starr, Brett Favre, and Aaron Rodgers. Hell, they haven't had to worry about a quarterback at all for like 23 years, or something like that.

The 49ers hit on Joe Montana and Steve Young back-to-back as well...that was good for about 2 decades of being in contention.

Ask any Pack fans, well those old enough to remember, it was loooooooooong time between Starr and Majikowski
Also, yeah the Niners have been mostly good with QBs since the 60s as well (the mid 2000s were a ***** for them but yeah).
The Dolphins for a time too, at least until Marino retired, had great success. However, that's still only 5 of 32 teams.

Historian
10-07-2014, 12:14 PM
Not to take anything away from him, he's a first ballot HOFer.

I just think it's easier to rack up the stats in a perfect environment.

Moreso for the kickers, but consider how strong Kelly's arm had to be to complete passes in the November and December winds at the Ralph.

Even Marino had the heat to contend with.

feldspar
10-07-2014, 12:53 PM
Not to take anything away from him, he's a first ballot HOFer.

I just think it's easier to rack up the stats in a perfect environment.

Moreso for the kickers, but consider how strong Kelly's arm had to be to complete passes in the November and December winds at the Ralph.

Even Marino had the heat to contend with.

It's hard to compare quarterbacks that played in different eras.

But Peyton Manning broke a bunch of significant records playing in the bad weather in Denver last year. That's worth mentioning.

Buffalogic
10-07-2014, 12:55 PM
Young was in Tampa first and was traded to san fran if I remember correctly.

Homegrown
10-07-2014, 01:04 PM

Don't sleep on Craig Nall

Luisito23
10-07-2014, 01:09 PM

You're right, it's easy to forget, but you're right. Same goes for Favre who started in Atlanta.

feldspar
10-07-2014, 01:42 PM

Actually, Steve Young was in the USFL first.

Just like another guy we all know.

YardRat
10-07-2014, 04:53 PM

Morrall
Manning
Luck

Unitas was a ninth-rounder that washed out in Pittsburgh before joining Baltimore.
Morrall was a 'bust' first rounder for SF that bounced from team to team with limited success until later in his career (*cough*Orton anyone?*cough*)
Jones was OK (I liked the guy, especially hooking up with Dumbo Carr) but his performance by some's standards today certainly doesn't scream 'franchise'
Elway doesn't really count for the Colts, but they did draft him, so...
George is probably the best QB from a purely physical standpoint that I've ever seen, but too mentally challenged.
Harbaugh was Bert Jones-lite, who benefited greatly when the Colts actually had a defense.
Manning is a given.
Luck still has a few years to go to be anointed anything, although he certainly is headed in that direction.

Generalissimus Gibby
10-07-2014, 05:08 PM
It's hard to compare quarterbacks that played in different eras.

But Peyton Manning broke a bunch of significant records playing in the bad weather in Denver last year. That's worth mentioning.

The threshold would have to be something like 100 tds and at least 25,000 yards in say 10 years to make a comparison. Johny U, Roger, Fran, Bradshaw, Fouts, and others could do well in this era. Also, could you imagine just how crazily inflated Unitas' stats would have been if he and his receivers had all the protections that the Manning Bros, Brady, and others enjoy in today's games?

swiper
10-07-2014, 05:12 PM
Wow. Look at Fitzpatrick, Bledsoe and Flutie.

Generalissimus Gibby
10-07-2014, 05:15 PM
Unitas was a ninth-rounder that washed out in Pittsburgh before joining Baltimore.
Morrall was a 'bust' first rounder for SF that bounced from team to team with limited success until later in his career (*cough*Orton anyone?*cough*)
Jones was OK (I liked the guy, especially hooking up with Dumbo Carr) but his performance by some's standards today certainly doesn't scream 'franchise'
Elway doesn't really count for the Colts, but they did draft him, so...
George is probably the best QB from a purely physical standpoint that I've ever seen, but too mentally challenged.
Harbaugh was Bert Jones-lite, who benefited greatly when the Colts actually had a defense.
Manning is a given.
Luck still has a few years to go to be anointed anything, although he certainly is headed in that direction.

True, but their luck with either using other team's castoffs or drafting their own talent at QB -- even if, as was the case of Elway they demand to go elsewhere--and having great success with them is just amazing. Again, only what 5 teams have been able to have this feat including them?

swiper
10-07-2014, 05:15 PM
Wow. If you ever want to feel "not so bad" about Buffalo's QB woes, just look at that Arizona Cardinal list. ROFLMAO. Stan Gelbaugh. :chuckle:

YardRat
10-07-2014, 05:56 PM
True, but their luck with either using other team's castoffs or drafting their own talent at QB -- even if, as was the case of Elway they demand to go elsewhere--and having great success with them is just amazing. Again, only what 5 teams have been able to have this feat including them?

They do have one of the more impressive lineages, regardless of how they were acquired or what they did prior or after.