X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ghz in pittsburgh
    • Aug 2004

Goodwin's fumble

Watch around 4:40 mark. Borderline incomplete pass.. If he would hold on, he'd score.

The video is courtesy of Mikey Mo on vimeo.

Most people will probably make the turning point of the game somewhere in the last 2 minutes where every play was significant in its way to the outcome of the game. But I still believe the Goodwin catch is THE play of the game for the Bills. Ortan had a couple of 20 yard passes. But the way Detroit's D is playing, it is very hard to make even a 60 yard drive on them. The Bills D forced a couple of fumbles, but was unlucky to get the ball in both cases, which would've turn the table (and become THE play of the game). So just like the Announcers said, somewhere along the line we need a big play on offense getting a big chunk of yards. And there it was.

I also think this play will have an impact in future games. I know EJ got a 80 yard TD in Houston's game but that was on a scramble, broken play. This one is a scripted, repeatable play that will make defensive coordinators take notice, particularly for defenses with lesser D-Line who may give Orton more chances of the kind of time in the pocket. If Orton can hit this kind of throw one more time to Goodwin or Watkins, you will see some deeper safeties to help our running game.
  • Luisito23
    Men Have Superbowl Gold, Legends Have Platinum Hearts!!!
    • Apr 2003

Re: Goodwin's fumble

Saw that play more than 10 times already and I think he didn't complete that pass (even Goodwin was surprised). Thankfully we got away with it, but it should've been called an incomplete pass.
    "Expect rejection, but expect more to overcome it."
    ***Marv Levy.***

"Coach Levy is one of the most inspirational people that I have ever known."
    ***Thurman Thomas.***

"You're not going to find a more classier, down-to-Earth person away from the field than Marv Levy. He's a guy who's pretty much made me what I am today as far as a professional player and a person."
    ***Jim Kelly***

Marv Levy's Website

Comment

• trapezeus
      Legendary Zoner
      • Oct 2004

the pump fake was fun as well. i didn't see the link because i'm at work, but i remember his pump fake helped.

i still think watkins catch after the 3rd missed field goal was the play of the game. if he doesn't make that catch, they run out the clock and go to OT. and anything can happen.

Comment

• Meathead
        Insufferable ***** and perpetual crybaby
        • Jul 2002

he fumbled while he was trying to transfer the ball to his hands so he could reach out for the pylon. but even if he hadnt fumbled i dont think he could have reached the pylon bc his center of gravity was falling toward the sideline and he wouldnt have reached the pylon in time

still, your other points are valid. defenses were compressing the field bc they werent afraid of ej being able to hit normal long passes like that. that one play will help force them to respect the bills speed wrs and spread the defense out again
        One set of rules for all in the beloved community

Comment

• Goobylal
          • Jan 2004

It was clearly a catch. And he fumbled out of bounds at the 1, and that's where the ball should have been placed.

Comment

• Meathead
            Insufferable ***** and perpetual crybaby
            • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Luisito23 View Post
            Saw that play more than 10 times already and I think he didn't complete that pass (even Goodwin was surprised). Thankfully we got away with it, but it should've been called an incomplete pass.
            really? i think im pretty objective and i dont see it that way at all. goodwin caught it cleanly and had two strides before he lost control of it. i dont know if they counted it as a fumble or not but it should have been, yet still it was a legal catch
            One set of rules for all in the beloved community

Comment

• tomz
              • Feb 2007

Plus you might note that they didn't rush to the line after that. They new it was clean. If anything we got a bad spot. He was not out of bounds until the 2.

Comment

• Jry44
                • Apr 2013

Originally posted by ghz in pittsburgh View Post
                Watch around 4:40 mark. Borderline incomplete pass.. If he would hold on, he'd score.

The video is courtesy of Mikey Mo on vimeo.

Most people will probably make the turning point of the game somewhere in the last 2 minutes where every play was significant in its way to the outcome of the game. But I still believe the Goodwin catch is THE play of the game for the Bills. Ortan had a couple of 20 yard passes. But the way Detroit's D is playing, it is very hard to make even a 60 yard drive on them. The Bills D forced a couple of fumbles, but was unlucky to get the ball in both cases, which would've turn the table (and become THE play of the game). So just like the Announcers said, somewhere along the line we need a big play on offense getting a big chunk of yards. And there it was.

I also think this play will have an impact in future games. I know EJ got a 80 yard TD in Houston's game but that was on a scramble, broken play. This one is a scripted, repeatable play that will make defensive coordinators take notice, particularly for defenses with lesser D-Line who may give Orton more chances of the kind of time in the pocket. If Orton can hit this kind of throw one more time to Goodwin or Watkins, you will see some deeper safeties to help our running game.
                I counted 4 strides in bounds before the ball even moved. There was definitely no fumble there since he was out of bounds before the ball moved. Although it didn't end up mattering, we definitely got jobbed on the ball spot. It should have been at the 2.

Comment

• Jry44
                  • Apr 2013

Nevermind, he was in bounds when he lost it. It was 100% a catch though

Comment

• Goobylal
                    • Jan 2004

Originally posted by tomz View Post
                    Plus you might note that they didn't rush to the line after that. They new it was clean. If anything we got a bad spot. He was not out of bounds until the 2.
                    Not only that but the Lions called TO, probably to look at it themselves, and decided not to challenge it. Why Marrone didn't challenge the spot, given the extra time during the TO to see it better, is anyone's guess. But I'm not overly impressed by the coaches anyway.

Comment

• Luisito23
                      Men Have Superbowl Gold, Legends Have Platinum Hearts!!!
                      • Apr 2003

OK, so I guess I was wrong then, it's just the way it looked to me.

Great throw either way.
                      "Expect rejection, but expect more to overcome it."
                      ***Marv Levy.***

"Coach Levy is one of the most inspirational people that I have ever known."
                      ***Thurman Thomas.***

"You're not going to find a more classier, down-to-Earth person away from the field than Marv Levy. He's a guy who's pretty much made me what I am today as far as a professional player and a person."
                      ***Jim Kelly***

Marv Levy's Website

Comment

• YardRat
                        Well, lookie here...
                        • Dec 2004

Originally posted by Goobylal View Post
                        It was clearly a catch. And he fumbled out of bounds at the 1, and that's where the ball should have been placed.
                        I thought so also, when the play was live, but after watching the replay several times he starts to lose control about the 3 yard line, and inside two minutes of either half a fumbled ball can't gain yardage it is spotted where the loss of possession first occurred (the Dave Casper rule).
                        YardRat Wall of Fame
                        #56 DARRYL TALLEY
                        #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• Ingtar33
                          Dances With Buffaloes
                          • Sep 2002

Originally posted by Goobylal View Post
                          absolutely correct. the last replay of it shows clearly the ball was on his thigh while his foot was out of bounds. any part of a players body touching a ball while the player is out of bounds, the ball is spotted out of bounds at that point. He clearly was still touching the ball when he was out of bounds, even if he didn't have control over it.

And it was a clear catch, he had 3 or 4 strides of possession, and was transferring hands the ball was in. that's enough for it to be called a catch.
                          My wife told me that if I had a dollar for every girl who found me unattractive, girls would find me VERY attractive.

MY WIFE SAID THAT!!!

Comment

• BillsImpossible
                            • Mar 2013

Besides Goodwin's great catch, did anyone else notice at the 36 second mark on a 3rd and 7?

THAT WAS A FIRST DOWN! WTF?

Orton hit Hogan on a pass and Hogan made a great play by getting the ball past the 23 yard line for a sure first down.

Hogan clearly passed the 23 yard line, but the ref gave him a crap spot and the Bills had to punt.

It's almost 2015, NFL! Teams can put chips in players pads and helmets that monitor their movements, so....

Why not the ball too?

Comment

• Mr. Pink
                              Peterman Sucks!
                              • Mar 2006

Clear catch and fumble out of bounds. Luckily he wasn't able to get another step in bounds before losing control or that might have ended up a touchback.

Comment

Working...
                              X