PDA

View Full Version : The Born Again Bills Are Better, A Lot Better

BillsImpossible
10-08-2014, 08:15 PM
Can they be better than ever before?

Do they have what it takes to win the Super Bowl?

Don't call me nuts, Eli Manning has two rings and a career completion percentage of 58.7%

This team feels different than years past in so many ways.

The same old Bills are dead and buried.

No pun or disrespect towards Ralph in any way what so ever, he's the reason why the Bills are still in Buffalo.

It's all about what's on the field, the most talented roster the Bills have had in many, Manny years.

Ralph Wilson's final days as owner of the Buffalo Bills transformed the franchise in to what it is today.

A Winning Team.

Special teams are better, a lot better.

Defense is better, a lot better.

KO is better, a lot better.

The wide receivers are better, a lot better, especially when Sammy Watkins performs NFL miracles with his magic hands.

The offensive line is a work in progress, but consider the defensive talent they've went up against in the first 5 games.

Rookie RT, Seantrel Henderson has performed better than expected going up against some of the league's best defensive talent.

They haven't given up a lot of sacks, so the O-line is doing their job protecting the quarterback.

The running game is a different matter. A lot can be read in between the 18th ranked rushing numbers.

The Bills have regressed in the running game, but a big reason why is because opposing defenses started concentrating on the run after defensive coordinators watched how poorly EJ Manuel threw the ball.

Now teams will have to give more respect to KO & Co, which will more than likely open up the running game and take a lot of defensive heat off of the Bills offensive lineman.

5 weeks in to the 2014 season and the winds of change are howling in Buffalo.

Time to whip out an October Surprise can of whoop ass against New England.

BertSquirtgum
10-08-2014, 08:28 PM
Someone's been drinking heavily all day I see.

BillsImpossible
10-08-2014, 08:46 PM

lol

BillsImpossible
10-08-2014, 08:51 PM

Ralph spiked my Kool-Aid.

"Oh-Yeaahh!"

https://fbcdn-profile-a.akamaihd.net/hprofile-ak-xap1/v/t1.0-1/c12.12.155.155/11648_367269840059152_99888505_n.jpg?oh=ec86735f81107c929ff72b0070013a0a&oe=54C6145A&__gda__=1421524683_93dadbdd3ad633506bf3b3fda8d5545c

BillsImpossible
10-08-2014, 08:54 PM
Like me on Facebook.

https://www.facebook.com/KoolAidMan

- - - Updated - - -

http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20111125211141/mugen/images/d/de/Kool-aid-mobile-wallpaper.jpg

Meathead
10-08-2014, 09:02 PM
Can they be better than ever before?

Do they have what it takes to win the Super Bowl?

official mh the geekŪ odds of that happening: 0.29%

so im saying theres a chance

Meathead
10-08-2014, 09:09 PM
http://i58.tinypic.com/dmwgi9.jpg

oldie but a goodie

JoeMama
10-08-2014, 09:14 PM
We are better.

Especially with Kyle Orton at the helm.

Nothing funny about this thread.

DynaPaul
10-08-2014, 09:53 PM
Nice post Mr. Brandon.

- - - Updated - - -

Nice post Mr. Brandon.

TacklingDummy
10-08-2014, 10:25 PM
Nice to see posters come around to my way of thinking.
This is a playoff team without EJ and a competent QB at the helm.

It's a QB league, EJ wad dragging this team down. Nice kid but terrible QB.

YardRat
10-09-2014, 05:14 AM
This New England game is already nerve-racking...can't wait for Sunday.

better days
10-09-2014, 07:42 AM
This New England game is already nerve-racking...can't wait for Sunday.

Tom Brady & the Pats* are the only people that should be nervous about this game.

Coming into Buffalo to face Brandon Spikes & Pepper Johnson as well as a Stadium full of LOUD Bills fans.

I am not nervous, I am EXCITED to see this game.

trapezeus
10-09-2014, 09:01 AM
the bills haven't gone and put the hurt on an opponent yet. they kind of did against miami, but settled for a lot of field goals. a playoff team will perform a smackdown of an opponent 1 or two times a season.

without imposing their will on the opponent yet, they still seem very much the 7-9/6-10 teams we've seen in the past. they hang around for a while and win some and lose some.

it's been fun thus far, but i'd like nothing more than to see a decisive win against the pats before committing to the fact A. something has changed and B. if there is any hope going foward.

Fletch
10-09-2014, 09:05 AM

LOL

Fletch
10-09-2014, 09:19 AM
We are better.

Especially with Kyle Orton at the helm.

Nothing funny about this thread.

We're going to find out over the next 11 games, that's for sure.

We're definitely better minus EJ who's finished as a starter in this league. The only way he gets another chance is if there aren't many changes in the team after the season, and if that's the case we're ****ed anyway.

As I said before, I thought that we were a 4-5 win team with Manuel, and 2-3 better with Orton. If Orton were that good then one of several other teams would have picked him up. I still say 6-10 to 8-8.

For the first time though there is excitement. I simply can't claim that we're a playoff team. Jackson at 33 is the only decent RB we have. Watkins hasn't come close to playing consistently.

While others are excited to see Spikes vs. NE, let's keep in mind that Belicheat knows his every weakness, so expect a ton of passes to go near and around him because he sucks in pass coverage. That's if we leave him on the field. I'm not as sold on the rest of the LBs like many here are and definintely not on our DBs, which have given up tons of yards to good WRs.

The thing is that we just haven't faced many good healthy RBs or WRs. Miami doesn't have any, Detroit had only Tate on the field and he posted his best game ever, San Diego didn't have any, Jeffrey and Marshall had a pretty decent game together at Chicago and along with TE Bennett put up over 200 yards. Johnson and Hopkins played pretty well considering that they had Fitzpatrick throwing them the ball. Who here thinks that Fitz is going to finish the season over there? I don't. Either way, that was probably our best game and it was a very much above average game for Fitzpatrick, so not sure what that says.

The only established top WR in the bunch was Andre Johnson and he's 33.

Have we faced an above average RB that wasn't hurt besides Forte who averaged 4.8 ypc against us? No.

Offensively, again, we'll see, but Orton is Orton, I don't think he's even as good as Bledsoe was and Bledsoe had a 23-25 record in three seasons with a better defense than we have now, and probably better RBs and WRs too.

casdhf
10-09-2014, 09:28 AM
You don't think Brandon Marshall is a established top WR? How about Mike Wallace? He is a very good WR. Antonio Gates didn't kill us.

You're leaving out a lot of good players that we have stopped or at least contained.

Fletch
10-09-2014, 09:51 AM
You don't think Brandon Marshall is a established top WR? How about Mike Wallace? He is a very good WR. Antonio Gates didn't kill us.

You're leaving out a lot of good players that we have stopped or at least contained.

Gates was injured, playing, but injured and not 100%. Besides, I was talking about WRs here. What about Bennett TE, he had a great game against us and he's nothing special.

No, Wallace is overrated. He's a flyer if you know him. He has no other particularly skills.

I mentioned Marshall, he had a good game. He Jeffrey and Bennett put up over 200 yards and 2 TDs. You think that's good D against the trio? I don't.

Everyone knows that Cutler just had "one of those games."

Chicago had 427 yards. Tell me how that's good defense please.

Fletch
10-09-2014, 09:54 AM
Like I said, we're going to find out how much of what everyone is saying is true here very soon.

I suspect that by mid-November we'll have the usual implosion of emotions here.

I hope not but what I hope isn't going to impact anything. As I said, there's some hope with Orton, I just think that it's mostly of the addition by subtraction (of Manuel) variety, not of the "we finally have a good QB" variety. We'll see though.

I would rate Orton as some hybrid of Fitzpatrick and Bledsoe. His career record suggests about the same. If he goes the same .500 that his career record was then we'll be 8-8 which isn't good enough.

Dr. Who
10-09-2014, 10:04 AM

Fletch is the equivalent of a doctor whose bedside manner would convince someone with a common cold that suicide was the only viable option.

Meathead
10-09-2014, 11:04 AM
well of course im pretty nervous about this game. a win and they get a big leg up on the division. a loss and they will play catch up all season and probably have to win in cheatertown in the season finale

but yeah im feeling mildly confident. cheats oline has looked dreadful at times this season, not a good quality against what should be a powerful and healthy bills dline. cheats defense isnt exactly stout at 19th in yards per rush. with a balanced offense bills should be able to control the clock and help keep marcia playing with her barbie dream house on the sideline

but weve been here before with these bastards. as long as they have the girl with the twinkle in her arm theres always the fear we get our hearts broken aaa-gain

better days
10-09-2014, 11:23 AM
Nice to see posters come around to my way of thinking.
This is a playoff team without EJ and a competent QB at the helm.

It's a QB league, EJ wad dragging this team down. Nice kid but terrible QB.

I think the only difference of opinion is some fans hope EJ will develop into a GOOD QB while others don't have that hope.

BOBM253
10-09-2014, 11:32 AM
I'm good as long as the Bills don't adopt the WGR/Sabres position of tanking the entire season to ensure a top draft choice and gobs of future wins. Oh wait, the Bills already did that some years ago and it didn't work out. Oh well, forget that, lets play to win now.

ublinkwescore
10-09-2014, 11:03 PM
I think tom brady is going to have a terrible day. That young offensive line is going to struggle against our probowl end to end line. Especially with a bit of spite thrown in for good measure on the part of pepper Johnson. You saw what Schwartz got out of this d against Detroit, you can damn sure bet Johnson wants belicek to regret not promoting him to dc. This is a statement game for the dl and pepper with a sold out crowd against our clear public enemy one. I will not say anything else because I don't want to jinx us... but damn Sunday can not get here fast enough.

imbondz
10-09-2014, 11:55 PM
No such thing as jinxes. We will crush the Patsies from the opening drive.

better days
10-10-2014, 03:14 AM
Gates was injured, playing, but injured and not 100%. Besides, I was talking about WRs here. What about Bennett TE, he had a great game against us and he's nothing special.

No, Wallace is overrated. He's a flyer if you know him. He has no other particularly skills.

I mentioned Marshall, he had a good game. He Jeffrey and Bennett put up over 200 yards and 2 TDs. You think that's good D against the trio? I don't.

Everyone knows that Cutler just had "one of those games."

Chicago had 427 yards. Tell me how that's good defense please.

When will you learn? YARDS DO NOT WIN GAMES...POINTS DO.

pmoon6
10-10-2014, 03:34 AM
When will you learn? YARDS DO NOT WIN GAMES...POINTS DO.Yes and the current NFL is designed for alot of yards and points. The days of holding an offense to 150 yards are long gone. Even if you do, the chicken**** holding and PI calls are staggering. That is further exacerbated by the O-Line almost never getting a flag for protecting the girls behind center, especially the marquee players. I don't know how morons like Filth can think you are even allowed to play defense let alone hold a good QB with an array of good receivers and a topflight back to minimal yardage.

That said, Tom Brady should be afraid come Sunday.....very afraid.

Bad things, Man...Bad things.

YardRat
10-10-2014, 04:40 AM
LOL...

If we lose, it's 'See? I told you so..."
If we win, it's "Well, New England has zero talent at WR, Ridley isn't exactly a stud RB and their offensive line is a shadow of years past and WE STILL GAVE UP 427 YARDS TO THE BEARS, YA KNOW!!!"

What an ass.

Fletch
10-10-2014, 06:29 AM
Fletch is the equivalent of a doctor whose bedside manner would convince someone with a common cold that suicide was the only viable option.

Au contraire, many of the posters here are the equivalents of a doctor that tells them that there's nothing to worry about when they have something that's easily treatable but gone untreated will result in death and recommends not doing anything.

better days
10-10-2014, 06:37 AM
Au contraire, many of the posters here are the equivalents of a doctor that tells them that there's nothing to worry about when they have something that's easily treatable but gone untreated will result in death and recommends not doing anything.

A common cold left untreated will resolve itself, not cause death.

Fletch
10-10-2014, 06:42 AM
well of course im pretty nervous about this game. a win and they get a big leg up on the division. a loss and they will play catch up all season and probably have to win in cheatertown in the season finale

but yeah im feeling mildly confident. cheats oline has looked dreadful at times this season, not a good quality against what should be a powerful and healthy bills dline. cheats defense isnt exactly stout at 19th in yards per rush. with a balanced offense bills should be able to control the clock and help keep marcia playing with her barbie dream house on the sideline

but weve been here before with these bastards. as long as they have the girl with the twinkle in her arm theres always the fear we get our hearts broken aaa-gain

We haven't beaten the Pats in five tries. In 2011 we beat them by scoring 34 points which included a pick-6 without which we would not have won. NE put up nearly 500 yards of offense and Gronk and Welker went nuts for over 300 and 4 TDs. Edelman's playing as well as Welker was then and we always have trouble with Gronk as most teams do when he's healthy, he's just rarely healthy like he is now.

Prior to that we didn't win in 15 other attempts.

I'd say that it's going to once again take 30-some points to win this one. So what are the odds of that happening? I don't know, just asking.

I just don't think that with Gronk in the lineup and at 100% that the Pats will be held to fewer than 30 points. Cutler, Forte, Marshall, Jeffrey, and Bennett had no trouble moving the ball on us, Brady, Gronk, Edelman, and the rest will be at least as good except that it's less likely that Brady plays like Cutler and makes all the mistakes that Cutler made. Ridley and Vereen aren't close to what Forte is.

This will be the second real test as to how good our #1 (or whatever it is) defense really is.

Fletch
10-10-2014, 06:43 AM
I think the only difference of opinion is some fans hope EJ will develop into a GOOD QB while others don't have that hope.

Yeah, others like his former coaches and FSU fans.

Of course everyone else knows better.

Fletch
10-10-2014, 06:44 AM
I'm good as long as the Bills don't adopt the WGR/Sabres position of tanking the entire season to ensure a top draft choice and gobs of future wins. Oh wait, the Bills already did that some years ago and it didn't work out. Oh well, forget that, lets play to win now.

That could arguably make some sense if we had a front office that knew how to draft. Unfortunately our FO is more like the FO's of Oakland and Washington.

Fletch
10-10-2014, 06:47 AM
I think tom brady is going to have a terrible day. That young offensive line is going to struggle against our probowl end to end line. Especially with a bit of spite thrown in for good measure on the part of pepper Johnson. You saw what Schwartz got out of this d against Detroit, you can damn sure bet Johnson wants belicek to regret not promoting him to dc. This is a statement game for the dl and pepper with a sold out crowd against our clear public enemy one. I will not say anything else because I don't want to jinx us... but damn Sunday can not get here fast enough.

Agree, there's a good chance that that's the determining factor in the outcome on Sunday, our DL vs. their OL. They played very well last Sunday though. Could just be that it took those five games for a relatively new OL with a new C to gel.

- - - Updated - - -

No such thing as jinxes. We will crush the Patsies from the opening drive.

When's the last time we crushed anyone from the opening drive?

We even allowed Miami to hang around far longer than we should have.

Fletch
10-10-2014, 06:48 AM
When will you learn? YARDS DO NOT WIN GAMES...POINTS DO.

LOL

Boy, are you impressed with our 17, 17, and 10 point totals over the last three weeks?

better days
10-10-2014, 06:48 AM
We haven't beaten the Pats in five tries. In 2011 we beat them by scoring 34 points which included a pick-6 without which we would not have won. NE put up nearly 500 yards of offense and Gronk and Welker went nuts for over 300 and 4 TDs. Edelman's playing as well as Welker was then and we always have trouble with Gronk as most teams do when he's healthy, he's just rarely healthy like he is now.

Prior to that we didn't win in 15 other attempts.

I'd say that it's going to once again take 30-some points to win this one. So what are the odds of that happening? I don't know, just asking.

I just don't think that with Gronk in the lineup and at 100% that the Pats will be held to fewer than 30 points. Cutler, Forte, Marshall, Jeffrey, and Bennett had no trouble moving the ball on us, Brady, Gronk, Edelman, and the rest will be at least as good except that it's less likely that Brady plays like Cutler and makes all the mistakes that Cutler made. Ridley and Vereen aren't close to what Forte is.

This will be the second real test as to how good our #1 (or whatever it is) defense really is.

Except Gronk isn't 100%. I have heard him called 60% to 75% of what he used to be by the Pats* experts.

And Brady is not 100% either, compared to what he used to be.

And the Pats* OL is probably weaker than the Fins OL.

Fletch
10-10-2014, 06:51 AM
LOL...

If we lose, it's 'See? I told you so..."
If we win, it's "Well, New England has zero talent at WR, Ridley isn't exactly a stud RB and their offensive line is a shadow of years past and WE STILL GAVE UP 427 YARDS TO THE BEARS, YA KNOW!!!"

What an ass.

What a copout.

I'm not the one preaching that our D is as good as its ranking. You shouldn't have any excuses if we can't hold the Pats to under 30 points. 30, not 20, 30.

And since when have I ever come here immediately after a game and said "see I told you so?"

I refuse to post on gamedays, it's like a gaggle of women on the rag while taking extra hormones in here on Sundays. I also rarely if ever come back and make season type predictions or statements based on one game. That's left to the aforementioned gaggle of women.

Fletch
10-10-2014, 06:53 AM
Except Gronk isn't 100%. I have heard him called 60% to 75% of what he used to be by the Pats* experts.

And Brady is not 100% either, compared to what he used to be.

And the Pats* OL is probably weaker than the Fins OL.

OK coach, whatever you say.

Gronk had a pretty damn good outing last Sunday at whatever percent he was operating at. If he's not 100% then why isn't he listed as probable?

Naturally rotoworld's sources are ignorant when they say that his knee injury is no longer a concern.

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/5729/rob-gronkowski

It's refreshing here to have people like you and YardRat to clear things up for us morons.

better days
10-10-2014, 06:58 AM
OK coach, whatever you say.

Gronk had a pretty damn good outing last Sunday at whatever percent he was operating at. If he's not 100% then why isn't he listed as probable?

Naturally rotoworld's sources are ignorant when they say that his knee injury is no longer a concern.

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/5729/rob-gronkowski

It's refreshing here to have people like you and YardRat to clear things up for us morons.

I am telling you what I read on Patriots.com & heard on WEEI Boston.

I think those "experts" know Gronk better than the "experts" from Rotoworld.

And only a moron thinks games are won by the number of yards produced.

Fletch
10-10-2014, 07:00 AM
LOL

I see, so you spend lots of time listening to WEEI is it. Got it.

Fletch
10-10-2014, 07:02 AM
Obviously the excitement for having a real QB is tantalizing, but here's a question for those of you thinking that this team is better than it likely is, looking at you better days and YardRat in particular.

How do you guys reconcile the fact that we're ranked 18th in ESPN's power rankings and 22nd in NFL.com's PRs with the notion that we're a playoff type team?

Can you admit that just maybe your status as fans of this teams are biasing your statements?

better days
10-10-2014, 07:06 AM
LOL

I see, so you spend lots of time listening to WEEI is it. Got it.

I do listen to WEEI a lot. Especially the week before the Bills Pats* game.

I have the app on my IPOD. It is a very good station IMO.

better days
10-10-2014, 07:10 AM
Obviously the excitement for having a real QB is tantalizing, but here's a question for those of you thinking that this team is better than it likely is, looking at you better days and YardRat in particular.

How do you guys reconcile the fact that we're ranked 18th in ESPN's power rankings and 22nd in NFL.com's PRs with the notion that we're a playoff type team?

Can you admit that just maybe your status as fans of this teams are biasing your statements?

Rankings are BS, that is how I reconcile that. The Bills started the season ranked between 28 & 30 so they have moved up about 10 spots since then. And if/when the Bills win on Sunday, they will make a big jump in the rankings.

Fletch
10-10-2014, 07:41 AM
Rankings are BS, that is how I reconcile that. The Bills started the season ranked between 28 & 30 so they have moved up about 10 spots since then. And if/when the Bills win on Sunday, they will make a big jump in the rankings.

LOL

Of course. But naturally wavering opinions that can be visualized by a flag waving in the wind supercede any of those rankings.

We also couldn't have had much more of an easier schedule to this point either. Our toughest games were on the road in Chicago where Cutler imploded yet still managed to put up bookoo yards, and San Diego making a trip out east without their starting RB and with their top WR hurt and TE limited, then of course Detroit with all but Tate of their starting offensive lineup out last week.

Otherwise, it's funny, when the rankings are good you yourself cite them, but when they're not they're BS.

I'll say this for you, at least you're consistent.

imbondz
10-10-2014, 07:45 AM

Obbbbbbbbviously our love of this @#$%@#$% team biases our opinions. You might be the most annoying poster here. Congrats!

better days
10-10-2014, 07:54 AM
LOL

Of course. But naturally wavering opinions that can be visualized by a flag waving in the wind supercede any of those rankings.

We also couldn't have had much more of an easier schedule to this point either. Our toughest games were on the road in Chicago where Cutler imploded yet still managed to put up bookoo yards, and San Diego making a trip out east without their starting RB and with their top WR hurt and TE limited, then of course Detroit with all but Tate of their starting offensive lineup out last week.

Otherwise, it's funny, when the rankings are good you yourself cite them, but when they're not they're BS.

I'll say this for you, at least you're consistent.

Well, you are consistent as well. Like ignoring the fact Reggie Bush played into the 3rd Qtr of that game picking up only 13 yds. NO TD's

And ignoring the fact YARDS DO NOT WIN GAMES.

ublinkwescore
10-10-2014, 08:05 AM
I will guarantee you fletch, that a few of those teams who are ahead of us in those power rankings will be drafting ahead of where our pick to cleveland lands.

JohnnyGold
10-10-2014, 08:47 AM

Can you help me understand something?

I live out of market, and have followed the Bills my entire life (fam is from Buf.) I have watched 99% of the games they have played since about 92.

After Pegula bought the Bills, I thought I might start following the Sabres... it makes sense, I figure. The Bills are usually out of contention by Mid October/Early November, and by that time, the Sabres have another 5 or 6 months of games. The NHL center ice packet is only 120$, so it seemed like a no brainer..

But for some reason, when I listen to WGR, all they talk about is how bad they want the Sabres to be this year. Like, openly hostile to callers that want the Sabres to challenge for an 8 seed? I mean, I get wanting a number 1 pick, but they are essentially dissuading me from following the Sabres this year.

So, what's the take on here? Are the Sabres good? bad? an enormous dumpster fire not worth my time and energy? And why is WGR so hostile towards people that want them to be good?

djjimkelly
10-10-2014, 09:29 AM

maybe he has a medicinal license like me :)

chris66
10-10-2014, 11:57 AM

I live out of market, and have followed the Bills my entire life (fam is from Buf.) I have watched 99% of the games they have played since about 92.

After Pegula bought the Bills, I thought I might start following the Sabres... it makes sense, I figure. The Bills are usually out of contention by Mid October/Early November, and by that time, the Sabres have another 5 or 6 months of games. The NHL center ice packet is only 120$, so it seemed like a no brainer..

But for some reason, when I listen to WGR, all they talk about is how bad they want the Sabres to be this year. Like, openly hostile to callers that want the Sabres to challenge for an 8 seed? I mean, I get wanting a number 1 pick, but they are essentially dissuading me from following the Sabres this year.

So, what's the take on here? Are the Sabres good? bad? an enormous dumpster fire not worth my time and energy? And why is WGR so hostile towards people that want them to be good?
Sabres are a dumpster fire, but there are a lot of good teams that make the 120.00 worthvit. If you like hockey

Dr. Who
10-10-2014, 02:42 PM

Sigh. Not your fault, but this one has been beat to death and it's tiring, because to answer it correctly takes some time.

Hockey is like baseball. You have to develop your high end talent for several years before they show up at the NHL level. There are rare exceptions that make the jump immediately.
It's relatively easy, if you have the money, to add free agents and make a push for the #8 seed. It's easy to be a mediocre team. If that's what you do, you will never be a perennial contender. You might get a hot goalie and make a deep play-off run, but you probably won't win the Cup.

When Pegula first bought the Sabres, he gave the existing coach, GM a chance to do something with an inflow of cash. After that didn't work, he decided to glut the team, be bad for a number of years, and accrue top draft picks. It's not fun, but it's the best way to have a chance to be good like the Kings, the Blackhawks, and a while back, the Pens are/were. The reason you want to tank this year is there are two really elite talents at the top of the draft, McDavid and Eichel. Both are great, though you take McDavid if you have to choose.

Here's the rub. You are not a Sabres fan for years and years, not really into hockey. I've been watching and rooting for the Sabres since their inception into the NHL. Long-time Sabres fans want the team to tank. We want McDavid or Eichel. We already have some really good young talent in the pipeline. Capture one of these two, and we should have enough to be really good for a long time. So, honestly, sorry if it might be unhappy watching a team that doesn't win a lot this year, but those of us who have been following them for decades don't want to sacrifice a chance to contend for the Cup for years so that a casual fan can have a rooting interest that we might get a #8 seed. That's where the hostility comes from.

And the very pithy answer: The Sabres are NOT a dumpster fire. They are rated number one in hockey futures. That means we have the best elite talent that has not reached the NHL. What you should really do is suffer through this bad year and get on board, rooting for the record that will engender a top pick. Then you won't be a bandwagon fan and you can glory in the great team the Sabres are going to be in a few years.

JohnnyGold
10-10-2014, 04:43 PM
Sigh. Not your fault, but this one has been beat to death and it's tiring, because to answer it correctly takes some time.

Hockey is like baseball. You have to develop your high end talent for several years before they show up at the NHL level. There are rare exceptions that make the jump immediately.
It's relatively easy, if you have the money, to add free agents and make a push for the #8 seed. It's easy to be a mediocre team. If that's what you do, you will never be a perennial contender. You might get a hot goalie and make a deep play-off run, but you probably won't win the Cup.

When Pegula first bought the Sabres, he gave the existing coach, GM a chance to do something with an inflow of cash. After that didn't work, he decided to glut the team, be bad for a number of years, and accrue top draft picks. It's not fun, but it's the best way to have a chance to be good like the Kings, the Blackhawks, and a while back, the Pens are/were. The reason you want to tank this year is there are two really elite talents at the top of the draft, McDavid and Eichel. Both are great, though you take McDavid if you have to choose.

Here's the rub. You are not a Sabres fan for years and years, not really into hockey. I've been watching and rooting for the Sabres since their inception into the NHL. Long-time Sabres fans want the team to tank. We want McDavid or Eichel. We already have some really good young talent in the pipeline. Capture one of these two, and we should have enough to be really good for a long time. So, honestly, sorry if it might be unhappy watching a team that doesn't win a lot this year, but those of us who have been following them for decades don't want to sacrifice a chance to contend for the Cup for years so that a casual fan can have a rooting interest that we might get a #8 seed. That's where the hostility comes from.

And the very pithy answer: The Sabres are NOT a dumpster fire. They are rated number one in hockey futures. That means we have the best elite talent that has not reached the NHL. What you should really do is suffer through this bad year and get on board, rooting for the record that will engender a top pick. Then you won't be a bandwagon fan and you can glory in the great team the Sabres are going to be in a few years.

Dude.

Thank you for taking the time to write that.

I really appreciate it.

:bf1:

YardRat
10-10-2014, 05:17 PM

Power rankings are fluff bull**** and I've stuck with my 'around .500' preseason prediction regardless of what has happened the last 5 games.

Quit trying to manifest your own reality and deal in truth for a change.

Jesus Christ...power rankings? Really?