PDA

View Full Version : cincy question - bills related

trapezeus
10-09-2014, 12:20 PM
when the pats played cincy, they seemed to have their way with them. what's the story on cincy? is their front 4 on D not so good? can we expect our first 5 games performance from the DL to continue?

was that literally just a choke job by cincy or did their weakness get exploited and do we have any of those similar weaknesses?

from the first 4 pats games i thought, they have no receiving corp and no OL...and i thought we could have a field day on Sunday. Now i'm curious what the pats really changed to go from being beaten so badly in KC to having such a stellar day from an undefeated team.

thoughts?

elltrain22
10-09-2014, 12:32 PM
I think Cincy is a very complete team, but they played flat. They got off to a bad start, and never recovered. Also, I credit for NE for fixing mistakes. There pass protection was immensely better vs Cincy as opposed to KC. Their defense was also significantly better. Cincy under prepared and played scared, and NE was prepared, and took advantage of it.

Against us, I say we see the NE team that we are accustomed to. Our defense will need to put pressure on Brady, and limit big plays. Our offense will need to run the ball effectively, and keep the offense on the field and the defense rested. If we have 3 and outs and the defense is winded, Brady will have a field day.

Ed
10-09-2014, 12:34 PM
Cincy is a good team, but they seem to always wilt when the spotlight is brighter.

It's always tough being the road team for a prime time night game. I think Cincy just had a bad night like the Pats did the week before. I think the Pats were pretty pissed and embarrassed after that KC game and were determined to have a strong game.

imbondz
10-09-2014, 12:37 PM
It's not even going to be close, we're going to smoke them from opening drive to 0:00 left.

not worried one bit.

feldspar
10-09-2014, 12:39 PM
For one thing, the Patriots were able to run all over the Bengals; in fact, Cincy has given up 5-yards-per-carry against the run this year so far. The Patriots ran for 220 yards this past week. That shouldn't happen with the Bills with their improved run defense. For that matter, the Bills defense is currently number 1 in the league for stopping teams on 3rd down, letting opposing offenses convert less than 32% of the time.

Of course, Tom Brady and the passing offense looked a lot better too. But when you are able to run like that, it tends to loosen things up in the passing game, especially with a guy like Brady.

The Patriots aren't as bad as they looked against the Chiefs, and they aren't as good as what they looked like against the Bengals.

IMO, this is a winnable game.

better days
10-09-2014, 12:47 PM
Cinci is SOFT up the middle.

Buffalo is NOT.

trapezeus
10-09-2014, 12:49 PM
good point on cincy with 5ypc average on d. i just hope our ability to stop gronkowski isn't combined with taking some of the heat off our pass rush.

i tend to think this will be a close game if both teams play well. if one just melts down, then i can see it getting ugly (both ways). Brady doesn't like contact and i think our d has the capability to put the hurt on guys. all the games thus far, they've gotten to the QB. i don't see anything talent wise on the pats that should stop that. it'd be great to have k williams back, even for a limited roll on sunday.

better days
10-09-2014, 12:52 PM
good point on cincy with 5ypc average on d. i just hope our ability to stop gronkowski isn't combined with taking some of the heat off our pass rush.

i tend to think this will be a close game if both teams play well. if one just melts down, then i can see it getting ugly (both ways). Brady doesn't like contact and i think our d has the capability to put the hurt on guys. all the games thus far, they've gotten to the QB. i don't see anything talent wise on the pats that should stop that. it'd be great to have k williams back, even for a limited roll on sunday.

The Bills are tied with the Jets for first place with 17 Sacks after 5 games played.

chris66
10-09-2014, 01:24 PM
when the pats played cincy, they seemed to have their way with them. what's the story on cincy? is their front 4 on D not so good? can we expect our first 5 games performance from the DL to continue?

was that literally just a choke job by cincy or did their weakness get exploited and do we have any of those similar weaknesses?

from the first 4 pats games i thought, they have no receiving corp and no OL...and i thought we could have a field day on Sunday. Now i'm curious what the pats really changed to go from being beaten so badly in KC to having such a stellar day from an undefeated team.

thoughts?
Pats rolled out a new middle of the oline with Stork at center, conelly and Wendell at guard. Stork and Wendell were mauling guys.

better days
10-09-2014, 01:56 PM
Pats rolled out a new middle of the oline with Stork at center, conelly and Wendell at guard. Stork and Wendell were mauling guys.

Well, I can't wait to see how well they match up against the Bills DL.

chris66
10-09-2014, 04:25 PM
Well, I can't wait to see how well they match up against the Bills DL.they traditionally match up well. I hope kyle Williams is back, he is not as good a run stuffer as Charles is. He is quicker, but Charles has more beef.
I expect the Pats to play a lot of two te sets, keeping Spikes on the field and having to cover a te or back

YardRat
10-09-2014, 04:39 PM
Going to be interesting to see how Schwartz matches up against the two TE set. We need to get pressure, early and often, and all day long. If we don't, even with 'no receivers' those two guys could give us fits.

chris66
10-09-2014, 04:52 PM
Going to be interesting to see how Schwartz matches up against the two TE set. We need to get pressure, early and often, and all day long. If we don't, even with 'no receivers' those two guys could give us fits.the teams match up pretty well. I just hope that the Pats dont get forced into playing a 3-4 like they did against miami and the chiefs when chris jones was hurt

better days
10-09-2014, 05:25 PM
they traditionally match up well. I hope kyle Williams is back, he is not as good a run stuffer as Charles is. He is quicker, but Charles has more beef.
I expect the Pats to play a lot of two te sets, keeping Spikes on the field and having to cover a te or back

I expect the Pats* to play two TE sets as well.

It is their best option with the mediocre WR's they have.

Thompkins is not playing as well as last year, and Dobson is not setting the World on fire either.

Wright on the other hand looks like a GOOD replacement for Hernandez.

Sorry the Bucs had to give him up, but happy to get Mankins in return.

better days
10-09-2014, 05:29 PM
By the way, Spikes has a sack & a forced fumble & has been decent against the pass.

He made a nice play against the Lions on a pass play last week.

chris66
10-09-2014, 05:34 PM

Thompkins is not playing as well as last year, and Dobson is not setting the World on fire either.

Sorry the Bucs had to give him up, but happy to get Mankins in return.Thompkins was cut, raiders picked him up
Lafell has been playing well. My guess its going to be Lafell on the outside Wright and Endelman in the slot. Gronk, Ridley, Verren. That gives brady a lot of audible options. It also kind of forces the bills to leave spikes in

The Jokeman
10-09-2014, 06:47 PM
Where the heck is stuckincincy when we need em? As this is the ideal thread to get the scoop.

The Jokeman
10-09-2014, 06:50 PM

Sorry the Bucs had to give him up, but happy to get Mankins in return.
Wright can be scary as could Edelman and LaFell. I think the Patriots receivers are better than their early stats indicate. I just hope our D-line can out muscle the Pats O-line and get in Brady's face as that's the key to beating the Patriots.

better days
10-10-2014, 03:10 AM
Thompkins was cut, raiders picked him up
Lafell has been playing well. My guess its going to be Lafell on the outside Wright and Endelman in the slot. Gronk, Ridley, Verren. That gives brady a lot of audible options. It also kind of forces the bills to leave spikes in

I want to see Spikes play a lot in this game...can't make plays from the bench.

I expect the Bills to use 8 in the box quite often in this game because the Pats* have no real downfield threat.

The last buffalo fan
10-10-2014, 10:26 AM
Puck the Fats!

The King
10-10-2014, 10:29 AM
Patriots came in fired up after being embarrassed in KC. It was a home game. They put Cincy on their heels on the opening drive and Cincy doesn't have the character to bounce back. Cincy is a good team but I question their leadership.

Generalissimus Gibby
10-10-2014, 10:58 AM
I think Cincy is a very complete team, but they played flat. They got off to a bad start, and never recovered. Also, I credit for NE for fixing mistakes. There pass protection was immensely better vs Cincy as opposed to KC. Their defense was also significantly better. Cincy under prepared and played scared, and NE was prepared, and took advantage of it.

Against us, I say we see the NE team that we are accustomed to. Our defense will need to put pressure on Brady, and limit big plays. Our offense will need to run the ball effectively, and keep the offense on the field and the defense rested. If we have 3 and outs and the defense is winded, Brady will have a field day.

And New England played at home, and New England generally never loses at home.

stuckincincy
10-10-2014, 12:37 PM
Where the heck is stuckincincy when we need em? As this is the ideal thread to get the scoop.

Had some medical issues...Scans of the noggin after terrific headaches that scrambled my judgement. Apologies to those I insulted - poster Fletch in particular. It was a return of migraines, with a touch of aura, kicked off by beer consumption. Grrr... :(

Here's my run-down - I was more watching what CIN did than what NE did...caveat there.

Soft up the middle: The stats don't lie. DT Geno Atkins has not returned to form last season's knee injury. DT Brandon Thompson again missed a game. DT Devon Still still ails with a bum elbow - he wears a forearm to upper arm ladder brace. That left them with starter Peko, and switching in DE Wallace Gilberry at DT. DE Margus Hunt didn't play - he has some sort of injury. Regardless - they were manhandled.

LB Vontaz Burfict was a scratch - concussion. He was missed on run and pass defense.

Offense: Dalton played well, all things considered. Note that starting RG Zeitler was out, as well as WR Marvin Jones, and WR Green was nursing a toe (he's out against CAR this week - carted off the practice field.) They will have but 3 wrs (Sanu, Sanzenbacher, Tate ) suited up against CAR...I assume the box will be stacked. Don't bet $ on CIN.

Key offensive snafus by CIN:

3rd and 5 at the NE 29 at 6:35 in the 1st. RT Smith goes offside. CIN does not convert on 3rd and 10. They opt to kick a 52 yd fg into a mild 8 mph wind - ball is accurate, but falls a foot short ot the crossbar. Score remained 7 -0 NE.

2:06 in the 1st - bad pass by Dalton. RB Bernard broke coverage along the left side at the CIN 28. A little more on the pass, it's six points.
That was a dumb call - I would have lined up to see if NE was dumb enough to go offside (unlikely), then punt from from the 39 - not give NE the ball on the 34.

6:50 in the 2nd. TE Gresham (remember him from the playoffs?) drops a sure td pass.

6:41 in the 2nd qtr at the NE 13 - 3 straight runs by RB Bernard, two of 'em up the gut (!). FG by Nugent. NE leads 14 -3.

AJ Green fumbles at the CIN 25. NE gets a fg - score is NE 20 - 3. the 1st of 3 lost fumbles.

That's the CIN tale of woe. I give them F's in all aspects of the game.

NE pounded them. Ran, ran, their TEs shredded the Bgal's pass defenders like their feet were mired in tar, Brady was sharp. NE won game TOP 38:56 to 21:04. CIN was 0 and 7 on 3rd down conversions. NE won 2nd half TOP 21:30 to 8:30. A sound beating.

The refs doled out 12/144 against NE, several of which kept CIN drives alive. CIN was only dinged 4 times for 37 yards. No excuses there.

So - NE, after getting flak about their demise, issued a spanking.

NE maneuver of note: They inserted back-up guard J. Devey as eligible 4 straight times when they reached the CIN at 11:52 in the 1st qtr, and ran it in with 4 straight run plays.

better days
10-10-2014, 04:50 PM
Had some medical issues...Scans of the noggin after terrific headaches that scrambled my judgement. Apologies to those I insulted - poster Fletch in particular. It was a return of migraines, with a touch of aura, kicked off by beer consumption. Grrr... :(

Here's my run-down - I was more watching what CIN did than what NE did...caveat there.

Soft up the middle: The stats don't lie. DT Geno Atkins has not returned to form last season's knee injury. DT Brandon Thompson again missed a game. DT Devon Still still ails with a bum elbow - he wears a forearm to upper arm ladder brace. That left them with starter Peko, and switching in DE Wallace Gilberry at DT. DE Margus Hunt didn't play - he has some sort of injury. Regardless - they were manhandled.

LB Vontaz Burfict was a scratch - concussion. He was missed on run and pass defense.

Offense: Dalton played well, all things considered. Note that starting RG Zeitler was out, as well as WR Marvin Jones, and WR Green was nursing a toe (he's out against CAR this week - carted off the practice field.) They will have but 3 wrs (Sanu, Sanzenbacher, Tate ) suited up against CAR...I assume the box will be stacked. Don't bet $ on CIN.

Key offensive snafus by CIN:

3rd and 5 at the NE 29 at 6:35 in the 1st. RT Smith goes offside. CIN does not convert on 3rd and 10. They opt to kick a 52 yd fg into a mild 8 mph wind - ball is accurate, but falls a foot short ot the crossbar. Score remained 7 -0 NE.

2:06 in the 1st - bad pass by Dalton. RB Bernard broke coverage along the left side at the CIN 28. A little more on the pass, it's six points.
That was a dumb call - I would have lined up to see if NE was dumb enough to go offside (unlikely), then punt from from the 39 - not give NE the ball on the 34.

6:50 in the 2nd. TE Gresham (remember him from the playoffs?) drops a sure td pass.

6:41 in the 2nd qtr at the NE 13 - 3 straight runs by RB Bernard, two of 'em up the gut (!). FG by Nugent. NE leads 14 -3.

AJ Green fumbles at the CIN 25. NE gets a fg - score is NE 20 - 3. the 1st of 3 lost fumbles.

That's the CIN tale of woe. I give them F's in all aspects of the game.

NE pounded them. Ran, ran, their TEs shredded the Bgal's pass defenders like their feet were mired in tar, Brady was sharp. NE won game TOP 38:56 to 21:04. CIN was 0 and 7 on 3rd down conversions. NE won 2nd half TOP 21:30 to 8:30. A sound beating.

The refs doled out 12/144 against NE, several of which kept CIN drives alive. CIN was only dinged 4 times for 37 yards. No excuses there.

So - NE, after getting flak about their demise, issued a spanking.

NE maneuver of note: They inserted back-up guard J. Devey as eligible 4 straight times when they reached the CIN at 11:52 in the 1st qtr, and ran it in with 4 straight run plays.

I hope all is well with your health now.

stuckincincy
10-10-2014, 05:13 PM
I hope all is well with your health now.
Thanks. With all the beer and cigs I've ingested, it's a surprise I'm still around. And all the stares into the mirror behind the bar - that court of last appeal, for so many. I know I have been blessed.