PDA

View Full Version : Biggest game in a decade

The King
10-10-2014, 07:42 AM
Being in Massachusetts, the Patriots Bills rivalry has always been tough on me. When the Patriots won the Super Bowl in 2001 I was happy for a lot of die hard Pats fans. My mother had season tickets in the late 70's and early 80's she stuck with the team through countless losing seasons and always remained a "die hard" fan. I know quite a few Patriots fans like that and this post isn't about them.

That Super Bowl victory turned Boston and the surrounding areas into Doucheville USA. Seemingly over night the Boston market turned into the cockiest, loudest, most annoying fan base in sports. It's like one morning everyone woke up living at a frat house with their pastel polo shirts, collars popped and said we're better than you… just because.

I know it's a year or two off but that game really marks the collapse of the Bills for me. Since that day the Patriots have absolutely dominated us. And come Monday morning, I hear it from everyone, people literally talk about the games like they were on the field helping the Patriots to dismantle the Bills. Sure we have had a few nice wins here or there but they're meaningless in a season were the Patriots finish 11-5 or 12-4 and we finish 7-9 or 6-10.

Every year I say the same thing. Just play them tight, fight to the end and show that we're on the rise. And over the last few seasons we've done that. This year it's different. It's time to take it to Patriots, we need to finish every tackle, fight for every yard and make every hit remind them that this division is ours now. That there's a change in Buffalo, it's no longer their division. Losing is not an option on Sunday, it's not acceptable.

The division is up for grabs - so is the locker room. This game will be the difference for this team. It doesn't guarantee us a playoff spot, or a winning season, but it's the foundation of this season, this staff, this roster will be built on this. This is our biggest game in over a decade. And it's ours to take.

casdhf
10-10-2014, 07:45 AM
:bf1:

wolfpack
10-10-2014, 08:10 AM
Hope you weren't listening to WGR a few minutes ago. I couldn't tell if it was a real chowd or a fake, like Greg Bauch calling in. At any rate annoying as hell!

OpIv37
10-10-2014, 08:18 AM
For me, the turning point was the "just give it to them" game in '98. Yes, the Bills would make the playoffs in '99 and the Patriots real success was still a Bledsoe injury and a couple of years away, but at that moment it was obvious that the glory days were over and the two teams are headed in opposite directions.

Sunday has the potential to be another one of those turning points. If the Bills win and go on to win the division, it will signal that the Brady era is over (or at least on its last legs) and could mean that the Bills are finally destined for better times. If the Bills lose, it likely means one more year of NE rolling the div and the other 3 teams having a war of attrition in hopes of a wild card.

In recent years, the Bills have had a bad habit of not showing up for big games, so a win could signal the end of that trend as well. But I'm not holding my breath. Brady and Bellicheck have owned us for their emotes careers and always seem to come back when everyone counts them out.

justasportsfan
10-10-2014, 08:38 AM
In past years beating the pats was more of wishful thinking.
Still not completely sold on the bills since we still have a lot of question marks but, now I feel we have a legitimate 50-50 shot at actually beating them.

Thurmal
10-10-2014, 08:41 AM
I'm keeping my expectations pretty low. We had a game just like this in '12 at home against NE and lost by like 30 points.

The officiating will be sketchy as hell too.

BUT...if our D can get going and we can run the ball; Orton will be able to make enough throws to pull it out.

elltrain22
10-10-2014, 12:09 PM
Totally agree!! So many implications can come about from this game. From a statistical point of view, 4-2 is a whole lot better than 3-3. Plus its gives us 2 wins in the division.

From a confidence standpoint is huge. Coming off a big road win, and playing in a very loud and hyped crowed this Sunday, if we could win this win, at the Ralph, it is huge for our confidence.

From a standpoint of what can do for us, and how it sets us up for a playoff push is huge. 2-0 in the division, clearly in 1st place, with a game in hand versus the Pats & Phins, and also gets us into a much easier portion of our schedule.

Great post King, as usual. Go Bills!!! Puck the Fats!!!

HHURRICANE
10-10-2014, 01:20 PM
If the Bills were to win this game I would guarantee that we make the playoffs. It's a defining moment when you are playing for sole place of the division and the winner gets it.

The bottom line is that we are not ready for this game. We are the 1987 Bills, not the 1988 Bills.

YardRat
10-10-2014, 06:05 PM
Anybody that lived through 0-fer the '70's just has to be flashing back to 1980 this week.

Meathead
10-10-2014, 06:27 PM
chuck the feats

ublinkwescore
10-10-2014, 06:41 PM
if we win this, 6-2 at the bye is very possible, and huge for us. especially since 6-2 means we are now undefeated against our division with one of those wins being a win on the road against the jets. I think we can sweep the phins too. Oakland should be a win - even if it is on the other side of the country, I don't see oakland beating anyone except for the one big upset or two, so our odds are good with plenty of schedule left to play. hosting KC at home I'd give us a 75% chance at victory. Denver will own us, just like SD did, but let's not worry about that one too bad - we need this division more than a beauty contest win against denver. win sunday, and we will have at least begun to dig a grave for New England - whether or not we get to hammer some nails into the coffin remains to be seen.

sudzy
10-11-2014, 05:12 AM
Anybody that lived through 0-fer the '70's just has to be flashing back to 1980 this week.

I still remember watching the goal post coming down. one of my top 5 moments in Bills history. Yes, I agree, this could be one of the biggest games ever. I'd love to start out the Pegula's legacy with a win over the Pats. The stage seems to be set for it. The Pats aren't what they use to be, the Bills have the best team they've had in a decade. I think the crowd will be as loud as they ever have been. I just hope the players are as up for this game as the fans are. They should be, I know Spikes is. I would be counting this as a sure victory if it wasn't for the last 14 years. In that time I've seen the Bills let us down in big emotion games. Come on team, let's win this for Terry and Kim.

YardRat
10-11-2014, 05:18 AM
I think tearing down the goalposts and passing them up to the owners box, again, would be an appropriate gesture to bring things around full circle.

RedEyE
10-11-2014, 05:29 AM
I expect a win as well. The Bills have lost 25 of the last 27 games. That is horrific!

This game is in our house and on our turf. Time to make Belicheat and Brady to start planning retirement. If this is truly a winning team then the Bills get gritty and win this game.

This game shapes the rest of the season.

sudzy
10-11-2014, 05:35 AM
I think tearing down the goalposts and passing them up to the owners box, again, would be an appropriate gesture to bring things around full circle.

I'm up for it. Not sure how easy it would be to get people to go on the field anymore. But, Terry just spent 1.4 Billion, I don't think he would mind buying new goal post for something that will last in his mind forever like the 1980s ending of the streak. has stuck in my mind.

swiper
10-11-2014, 05:53 AM
Way to over-react.

sudzy
10-11-2014, 05:54 AM
Way to over-react.

So it's not one of the biggest games for you?

swiper
10-11-2014, 05:55 AM
Just another Patriots game. Always fun to watch. And depressing at the end.

The bloviating going on in the o.p. is simply over-reacting to a football game. Fans will be fans.

sudzy
10-11-2014, 06:11 AM
I don't feel like it's just another Pats game. The Bills are staying, Terry Pegula just gave a very emotional press conference about how much that meant to him. I'm hoping the Bills and their fans give him a huge thank you, Sunday, with a win over the Pats. The team that has made the Bills their ***** for the last 14 years. If it turns into, just another Pats game, I'll be majorly disappointed.

imbondz
10-11-2014, 07:52 AM
If we ever truly want to turn the corner we have to start winning games like this one on Sunday. Otherwise we're in for more of the same this season, win one, lose one, win a couple, lose a couple...

swiper
10-11-2014, 07:53 AM
I don't feel like it's just another Pats game. The Bills are staying, Terry Pegula just gave a very emotional press conference about how much that meant to him. I'm hoping the Bills and their fans give him a huge thank you, Sunday, with a win over the Pats. The team that has made the Bills their ***** for the last 14 years. If it turns into, just another Pats game, I'll be majorly disappointed.

I guess I get that. Even though this Bills team seems better than those of late, it's not a juggernaut like we had during the Jim Kelly years. If the team was that good, then maybe I'd be more excited. I just think the Patriots are a team that is better than we realize and the Bills are playing a bit over their head. This could be a big "bring the Bills back down to earth" game. We've seen the Patriots let the wind out of our sails before. Nevertheless, I look forward to the game. Even if it's with a bit of skepticism.

One time, long ago, Marv Levy's Bills shook me of that. Maybe Marrone will do the same.

YardRat
10-11-2014, 11:15 AM
I don't think it's an over reaction to consider this a huge game at all, for some of the very reasons that have been mentioned. Being able to exorcise the NE/Brady/Belicheck demons would be a pretty big step for this team.

BLeonard
10-11-2014, 03:30 PM
For anyone needing a history lesson, the Bills' first victory in Franchise history was 9/23/60, when they beat the Patriots.

With the Bills winning last week in Detroit, of all places, if there is such a thing as "destiny," there is no way that the New England Patriots come into the Bills' house, with all of the energy that is certain to be in that stadium, city and region and beat the Bills.

As King said, the Bills losing tomorrow is not an option, if the Bills are going to compete for the AFC East while Brady and Belichick are still around.

-Bill

BuffaloRedleg
10-11-2014, 04:17 PM
This game is very symbolic, but that cuts both ways. I'm really ****ing nervous about it, because if we lose it's the same ole' Bills.

This is a statement game, I just hope it isn't the wrong statement.

BertSquirtgum
10-11-2014, 05:09 PM
Orton is going to cement his wall of fame legacy tomorrow.

chris66
10-12-2014, 10:40 AM
Just remember this is for sole possession of first place. Its big for both teams.

Luisito23
10-12-2014, 10:42 AM
If this is really a change a culture, we'll win this game...Can't wait!

Historian
10-12-2014, 02:48 PM
This one ended about the way I thought it would...

Novacane
10-12-2014, 02:50 PM
Yep. To expect any different was insanity. Oh well. Tom Brady can't play forever.

The King
10-12-2014, 02:53 PM
Mmmmmm rape.

Mace
10-12-2014, 02:59 PM
Well, I guess we're still 15 points worse than the Pats in our house while riding the Pegula wave of fired up.

Won't be pretty when we play them in New England.

Nothing much else to say about it, we are who we are, back to reality.

sudzy
10-12-2014, 04:22 PM
New Owner, Same Bills. I don't know why I believe this team was any different then past teams. The entire interior of the Pats OL was 2nd string. Where was Marcell and Kyle? Marcell can dominate when he wants. Today he must have been focused on getting stoned after the game. Giving the ball to choke your chicken Spiller at the end of the 1st half was a bonehead play. Once again the Bills lost the halftime adjustment battle. NE goes in at halftime and comes out to all the secrets of our defense. They scored on every drive in the 2nd half. I'm sorry Mr. Pegula, the fans were up for this game, but the Bills weren't.

HHURRICANE
10-12-2014, 08:06 PM
If the Bills were to win this game I would guarantee that we make the playoffs. It's a defining moment when you are playing for sole place of the division and the winner gets it.

The bottom line is that we are not ready for this game. We are the 1987 Bills, not the 1988 Bills.

Not that this was shocking today.

We have a long way to go!!

Fletch
10-12-2014, 08:59 PM
I'm curious how many here still think that we have a good shot at playoffs as a wild card much less as division champs.