PDA

View Full Version : If I were Doug Marrone...

YardRat
10-12-2014, 03:54 PM
I would bench Pears, and plug in Urbik at RG. Pears is just terrible wherever he line-ups, and I've head enough of looking at his ass and nametag as a defender runs free toward the QB.

I would sit Spiller and activate Brown. Spiller is getting more and more useless as the season goes on, and his lack of contribution or, more often than not, negative plays far outweigh the occasional 'big play' that he does turn in. Hell, I can stand in the endzone and wave my hands over my head on kickoffs, or run straight for the sideline for a 2 to 4 yard loss after taking a handoff.

I would sit McKelvin, and insert Graham into the starting line up. McKelvin took turns with Duke Williams today getting toasted, and he'd be better off coming from the bench to give one of the corners or Robey a breather.

I would have a nice sit down with Hackett...it isn't just the QB that was holding the offense back, part of that is still on the OC. Get rid of the garbage plays that obviously don't, and won't ever apparently, work and replace them with something different. Quit getting into the 'run on first down, every first down. run for a couple series every game, especially when it's not working.

I would also have a sit down with Pat Morris...get your guys up to speed, or we'll find somebody else that can.

black N yellow
10-12-2014, 03:56 PM
Tecmo Bowl has better offensive play-calling than Hackett.

k-oneputt
10-12-2014, 03:56 PM
Whhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhbhhhhhhhjhhhhhhhhhhhhhho. dick jauron.

Fixxxer
10-12-2014, 04:12 PM
As it should in a meritocracy.

Pears could be the best professional that ever lived this earth but he's not getting it done at guard, I know Urbik isn't great but his experience at the position can't be overlooked.

I really had enough of Spiller, I know that we probably could use him better or just as a decoy but he's dumb, the one time he needed to go outside and out of bounds he decides to lower the head and ram forwards just to lose the ball. He's nothing extraordinary on kickoffs and he can't block for ****. Get a 4th rounder for him and start the Bryce Brown era.

It seems they're rotating the CBs so we have to roll with the punches with what we have or I hear Justin Rogers is a free agent. :D

Agree on the last two points, we need to be better on offense.

And to add to your post, bench Lee Smith, stupid penalties on ST and can't block for **** during the game, he's supposedly an extra OT but the guy lacks the athletism to play in this league. Play Gragg more.

The Doc
10-12-2014, 04:25 PM
Our guard play killed us. Straight up killed us.

kingJofNYC
10-12-2014, 04:28 PM
I wonder what Urbik's done. I mean he's not good, but Pears is ****ing brutal. We just need average play at this point.

cookie G
10-12-2014, 04:43 PM
I'd buy Hackett a copy of How to Run Wide for Dummies".

Any rushing yards were made despite him, not because of him.

And the majority of them were made behind Glenn, Richardson and Wood.

Richardson's a better run blocker than people give him credit.

Fixxxer
10-12-2014, 04:52 PM

Any rushing yards were made despite him, not because of him.

And the majority of them were made behind Glenn, Richardson and Wood.

Richardson's a better run blocker than people give him credit.

Huge push by him and the left side on Fred's TD. he's getting better and that is all you can ask for a rookie.

justasportsfan
10-12-2014, 05:37 PM
Bills got into a shootout vs the pats and we lost because our run game stunk. Our defense couldn't hit Brady so he picked us apart.

Marrones expertise is supposedly the OL? It stinks.

YardRat
10-12-2014, 05:49 PM
Richardson is getting better, but he's still a rookie. Pears has no excuse.

There just doesn't seem to be any synch between formation, blocking and call/read.

cookie G
10-13-2014, 09:06 AM
There just doesn't seem to be any synch between formation, blocking and call/read.

There isn't much to get in synch with, since he's still running one play on the vast majority of the time.

He hasn't got away from the read option play, without the read or option part of it.

Once in a great while, they'd run a gut play, where the guard pulls and kicks out.

Twice, they ran over the tackle (once over Glenn, once over Henderson).

I'd bet out of the 22 running plays yesterday, 16 or more were the same, stupid, read option without the read or option. That makes the play essentially an inside dive play.

He runs it because the read option is trendy, and its used all over colleges and high schools all over the country. But some reason, many OC's who run it have about 5 running plays in their play book. Part of that is because its supposed to be a pass first offense and part is because it has the option of going inside or outside, depending on the QB read. And of course, teams that run it actually have a QB that runs with the ball.

My son's high school basically has the same running game as the Bills. They don't run outside either. When I asked him once why they don't run a sweep or a pitch play to the outside, he responded, "we don't have any in the playbook". Seriously. Why this modern trend with read option runs is so limited..I don't know, but it is.

And as a stubborn, young coach who likes to follow trends, Hackett sticks with it despite not having a read option QB.

It might be OK if you are a pass first offense that uses the pass to set up the run, but when you start your first 3 series with run, run, pass, that's not what you are doing.

It might be OK if you run a Shanny-type ZBS stretch play, but there...the RB has about 5 holes to choose from when he runs, he just cuts up when he finds the hole.

Its actually cool to hear Russ Grimm talk about a game in the early 80's where they ran 8 straight times at Randy White, just because the offensive line wanted to beat him up...but that's only the part of one game.

People talk about how we have to rely on our running game more, and I'm great with that...but not with one play, especially an inside dive play. Hell, even Freddie and Boobie are starting to break ranks. Both started bouncing outside yesterday..(without much success).

But if Hackett wants to rely more on the running game...Marrone is really going to have to tell him.."run that play one more time and you're fired".

He needs some shock therapy.

trapezeus
10-13-2014, 09:12 AM
what's stunning about the run package is that we never are setting anything else up. even if our run game was successful, we should be trying to rope teams into a false sense of "this is what htey do" and then you do something different.

if we run the up the middle play every first down, eventuallly you will want to play action pass because teams want to stop it for a loss to force you into a throwing down. but not hacket. he just seems to like to run on 1st, pass on second and long and see what third down brings.

I also think you have to be frustrated that the QB play at best this season will be average.

EDS
10-13-2014, 10:16 AM
what's stunning about the run package is that we never are setting anything else up. even if our run game was successful, we should be trying to rope teams into a false sense of "this is what htey do" and then you do something different.

if we run the up the middle play every first down, eventuallly you will want to play action pass because teams want to stop it for a loss to force you into a throwing down. but not hacket. he just seems to like to run on 1st, pass on second and long and see what third down brings.

I also think you have to be frustrated that the QB play at best this season will be average.

The Bills don't want to reveal the full playbook until the playoffs . . .

The Doc
10-13-2014, 10:39 AM
The Bills don't want to reveal the full playbook until the playoffs . . .

Lol

djjimkelly
10-13-2014, 10:54 AM
I would bench Pears, and plug in Urbik at RG. Pears is just terrible wherever he line-ups, and I've head enough of looking at his ass and nametag as a defender runs free toward the QB.

I would sit Spiller and activate Brown. Spiller is getting more and more useless as the season goes on, and his lack of contribution or, more often than not, negative plays far outweigh the occasional 'big play' that he does turn in. Hell, I can stand in the endzone and wave my hands over my head on kickoffs, or run straight for the sideline for a 2 to 4 yard loss after taking a handoff.

I would sit McKelvin, and insert Graham into the starting line up. McKelvin took turns with Duke Williams today getting toasted, and he'd be better off coming from the bench to give one of the corners or Robey a breather.

I would have a nice sit down with Hackett...it isn't just the QB that was holding the offense back, part of that is still on the OC. Get rid of the garbage plays that obviously don't, and won't ever apparently, work and replace them with something different. Quit getting into the 'run on first down, every first down. run for a couple series every game, especially when it's not working.

I would also have a sit down with Pat Morris...get your guys up to speed, or we'll find somebody else that can.

reading your spiller comment makes me want to share my thoughts on bills rb situation

freddy is freddy and at some point he will be old but we dont have a rb on this team that i see here past 2016 maybe even 2015 if freddy was to retire or something

better days
10-13-2014, 11:04 AM
If I were Doug Marrone, I would fire Hackett.

But Marrone most likely will not do that unless/until forced to do so.

If the Bills fail to win 9 games minimum, I want Marrone FIRED unless he fires Hackett.

trapezeus
10-13-2014, 11:12 AM
what is firing hackett going to acheive? realistically speaking? there isn't time to install a new playbook, so you will be getting another guy who is part of the current offense to take over. do we really have someone below hackett that has a better offensive mind? maybe we do, but imagine how incensed that guy has to be sitting behind hackett.

Marrone already looks in over his head with game management as a HC. Give him the OC playcalling duties and he's totally lost, or so i would expect.

Hackett being fired would be cathartic, but i would actually envision the offense being worse

better days
10-13-2014, 11:22 AM
what is firing hackett going to acheive? realistically speaking? there isn't time to install a new playbook, so you will be getting another guy who is part of the current offense to take over. do we really have someone below hackett that has a better offensive mind? maybe we do, but imagine how incensed that guy has to be sitting behind hackett.

Marrone already looks in over his head with game management as a HC. Give him the OC playcalling duties and he's totally lost, or so i would expect.

Hackett being fired would be cathartic, but i would actually envision the offense being worse

The same playbook can be used with a new OC.

It is the plays that are called & when they are called that makes all the difference.

Fletch
10-13-2014, 11:33 AM
Our guard play killed us. Straight up killed us.

Right, it was our guards that allowed Edelman, LaFell, and Tyms to explode for 231 yards and 3 TDs.

I told you guys that Marrone shouldn't use guards as DBs.

YardRat
10-13-2014, 11:35 AM
reading your spiller comment makes me want to share my thoughts on bills rb situation

freddy is freddy and at some point he will be old but we dont have a rb on this team that i see here past 2016 maybe even 2015 if freddy was to retire or something

Trade Spiller, we still have Brown and Boobie, and FJ. Draft another one or pick up a FA, and next season we have FJ, Boobie, and Brown active on game day. If FJ gets hurt or retires, we still have Brown, Boobie and the new guy. We're sitting pretty good at RB to have a little flexibility for the next few seasons.

trap---IMO Marrone has actually done a decent job with game management this season...he really hasn't fubared the clock, challenges, or clutch calls.

swiper
10-13-2014, 05:27 PM

Would do all this too. But will Marrone?

- - - Updated - - -

Right, it was our guards that allowed Edelman, LaFell, and Tyms to explode for 231 yards and 3 TDs.

I told you guys that Marrone shouldn't use guards as DBs.

LOL