PDA

View Full Version : OK, so we need an explanation here. About this elite D?

Fletch
10-13-2014, 05:55 AM
What happened yesterday?

Which Pats team showed up, the one that played Cincy last week, or the one that looked beaten and forlorn in their other four games? I'm asking seriously because I don't know. Seems like something in between.

Brady had his biggest game of the season and almost matched his season total for TDs in a single game.

It's not like he needed all-pro receiving talent to do it. No, receivers like Brandon LaFell, Julian Edelman, and Brian Tyms who was active for the first time this season beat our secondary badly.

Did Schwartz overemphasize stopping the Pats rushing game led by two RBs that have not even established themselves as average starting RBs in the NFL, when it's clear that how well Brady played would determine the outcome of this game?

For a couple of weeks now we've heard about how elite this D is. I don't know but it didn't seem so elite yesterday.

Interestingly that's about the most balanced offensive team that we've played this season given the circumstances at the time we've played our opponents.

Did McKelvin look good? How about Gilmore? Both got beaten for TDs, McKelvin badly.

Clearly our linebacking unit which is terrible against the pass and was sorely exposed yesterday shares some of the blame.

Another thing that seems to be popular here is the notion that our DL is the best in the NFL. How did that stack up yesterday?

This may very well be Brady's best game of the season. I guess he might be better in our second matchup to finish out the season.

Who still thinks that this D is elite?

DynaPaul
10-13-2014, 07:24 AM
Video tapes.

WagonCircler
10-13-2014, 07:29 AM
What happened was Brady and Gronkowski.

Thankfully, no other teams have that tandem.

elltrain22
10-13-2014, 08:17 AM
What happened was we were way to nice to them. We should've pressured Brady, rather than rush 4 and drop 7 all day. That gave Brady ample time to pick us apart. We should've put him on his butt, and been way more aggressive. I know we "don't" blitz, but yesterday, that was the smart thing to do.

yordad
10-13-2014, 08:46 AM
Did you ready just dump on a d line that gave up 37 yards on 21 carries to Running backs?

Fletch
10-13-2014, 09:19 AM
What happened was Brady and Gronkowski.

Thankfully, no other teams have that tandem.

Yes, partially, but Gronk didn't even score. Two deep passes and one medium pass for 3 passing TDs did not involve Gronk.

WagonCircler
10-13-2014, 09:21 AM
Yes, partially, but Gronk didn't even score. Two deep passes and one medium pass for 3 passing TDs did not involve Gronk.

I think he made every important first down in the entire game. He extended countless drives that led to scoring.

Fletch
10-13-2014, 09:21 AM
Did you ready just dump on a d line that gave up 37 yards on 21 carries to Running backs?

No, I dumped on a supposed top DL in the NFL that couldn't generate any pressure on Brady and which apart from Gronk made a very average set of otherwise 2nd string, if not 3rd (Tyms and Wright) look like superstars en route to a near 400 yard passing performance that's sure to rank among the top few for any QB this season.

Ridley? Vereen? I said before the game that after Chicago this would be the most balanced offense we'll have played, it was. That doesn't mean that they have good RBs, they don't.

RedEyE
10-13-2014, 09:37 AM
Unacceptable.

The Patriots have basically two players on offense to worry about, Brady and Gronk. Poor showing by the Bills D players and poor game plan by Schwartz.

On the opposite side of the ball the Patriots have been a revolving door for most of the season. TURNOVERS. Poor line play. Bad play selection.

Just simply unacceptable.

Fletch
10-13-2014, 09:40 AM
I think he made every important first down in the entire game. He extended countless drives that led to scoring.

Let's evaluate that statement.

First Pats TD was an Edelman/Vereen short pass fest until Wright got hit for the TD. Gronk not involved statistically. (61-yard drive)

First two Pats FG drives Gronk not involved statistically.

Second Pats TD was another short pass fest until Tyms caught a TD pass over Gilmore. Gronk not involved statistically. (80-yard drive)

Third FG drive Gronk caught pass for 33 then got injured subsequently.

Third Pats TD had one Gronk pass nullified due to a penalty, he caught a 10 yarder on 2nd-and-22 otherwise before LaFell caught that 18-yarder on 3rd-and-12 while being wide open directly over the middle on a play that looked like we had 7 DBs on the field. (80-yard drive)

Fourth Pats TD had the first pass in a 93-yard drive go to Gronk short for 8 yards after the catch on 1st-and-10, an incompletion to Gronk on the next play, and then Gronk's only 3rd-down conversion on a 3rd-and-16 for 17 yards putting the Pats at their own 46 before LaFell torched McKelvin for a 56-yard TD.

So, of 277 yards on the Pats' four scoring drives, Gronk had 35 yards, or all but 242 yards, and 1 3rd-down conversion.

Do you think that the facts back up what you said?

- - - Updated - - -

Unacceptable.

The Patriots have basically two players on offense to worry about, Brady and Gronk. Poor showing by the Bills D players and poor game plan by Schwartz.

Thanks for being the first one to be honest.

Fletch
10-13-2014, 10:01 AM
And granted, Gronk's a touch assignment, but with everyone talking about how great Preston Brown, Spikes, and Bradham are, apart from the notion that they're not, we'd think that they could have covered him better.

And what of Spikes? He made three solo tackles, one was a rush after a 10-yard gain.

The fact is that our LBs aren't nearly as good as so many here seem to think, they're a mediocre bunch. Schwartz seems to be doing the opposite of what Pettine did, he overemphasizes the rushing D, which is great if we're playing 20 years ago.

Our entire secondary from Gilmore to Aaron Williams and Searcy was exposed yesterday for the average at best players that they are.

Next week vs. Minnesota is now an enormous game. Lose and the cascade of boos will be heard from the stadium to Niagara Falls. Barely win and beat a team with a struggling QB and passing game, a team desperately trying to find a RB to start in place of Peterson, and a struggling Greg Jennings and otherwise 2nd string group of receivers and TEs, and it's also not going to look good for a home game.

They're not a good team and have been blown out three times and lost 17-3 at home to a team that we just beat 17-14 on the road.

If this team is really as good as many here seem to think then it should be an easy win in Buffalo. It could very well be the easiest game left on our schedule and rivals the Oakland game in that way.

If it's close or worse yet we lose, then I'd say this season is well on track to be just like always.

Ed
10-13-2014, 10:09 AM
Aaron Williams >>> Duke Williams.

notacon
10-13-2014, 10:47 AM
The explanation is that this Defense was NEVER "elite". Anyone who said so was a dreamer. A defense is "elite" when they can show, through at least one full season, that they play elite.

They will have their moments. Does not mean they are elite.

When an TRUE elite QB and an elite coach goes against the Bills defense...they expose them for what they are. You may hate Belichick and Brady, but, they have proven time and time and time again that they are the elite QB and coach of the NFL.

yordad
10-13-2014, 10:48 AM
No, I dumped on a supposed top DL in the NFL that couldn't generate any pressure on Brady and which apart from Gronk made a very average set of otherwise 2nd string, if not 3rd (Tyms and Wright) look like superstars en route to a near 400 yard passing performance that's sure to rank among the top few for any QB this season.

Ridley? Vereen? I said before the game that after Chicago this would be the most balanced offense we'll have played, it was. That doesn't mean that they have good RBs, they don't.So... in short... it is the D-lines fault that our secondary cant cover... with our back up safeties?