PDA

View Full Version : A FootBall Team With A Quarterback Problem XI

Typ0
10-13-2014, 06:27 AM
Perhaps it's only me but as the fourth quarter was playing out I actually felt like this team could pull off a cardiac finish to a contest they blew in the first half. No idea how they even stayed in that game. The whole scenario certainly supports the premise of these threads. This is a very good football team with a quarterback problem. Orton is so much better than what we have had but still leaves something to be desired. I love his ability to go down field with a tight well thrown ball though. He can threaten anywhere on the field something we clearly have not seen since Bledsoe. It's so hard to sit here and end up evaluate him on one single play--yet I feel the fumble changed the outcome of the game. It should have been thrown away. I was disappointed in Orton's first half performance but the man brings game and I love that.

It's been a long time and we all have PTSD. I think we need to see how this plays out. My thread about SOS has been purged but a lot of good work went into that analysis. We have the upper hand on the Patriots if we can go into New England and beat them. Not an easy task but doable for this squad. We sit at 3 - 3 after having played the strongest part of our schedule. NE has a run of DEN, IND, DET, GB, SD followed by their three division games. Don't fret we very well could have witnessed Brady's swan song yesterday. It was quite a performance...like he took the team on his shoulders. That is not going to continue. We are still in it with a QB who can play but has faults. Orton needs to go on a tare and we can make a playoff run here!

GO BILLS!

Night Train
10-13-2014, 06:56 AM
He's only going to be as good as the OG play and the running game, which is currently poor. He needs help.

If opposing O's continue to exploit our poor secondary play and the Bills must play from behind, then I'm not going to expect him to rally us. Not his fault.

The next 2 games will speak volumes about this coaching staff going forward. Vikings and Jets struggling more than the Bills.

Can the Bills adjust the schemes and win these games ?

Typ0
10-13-2014, 07:07 AM
I agree we need to regroup and start winning games--at least beating on these teams we are better than. True, we have weaknesses but so do all other teams. The Brady Gronkowsky connection destroyed us yesterday. We need to prevent those types of momentum things from happening in games. I'm not as worried about the running game as some seem to be. We need to keep running it up the gut even if it looks futile. That is important to keeping the field open. Also, we ran one right up there to score a TD yesterday that was very encouraging to me. My question is always not can you make plays in there out of nothing but can you get a couple tough yards when you really need to.

WagonCircler
10-13-2014, 07:21 AM
I would love to have a franchise QB, but with decent OL play, Orton is better than average and could be borderline good.

In any case, QB is no longer our biggest problem and Guards are easier to find than QBs.

A few years ago, we were a lot further away from being a playoff team than we are now. I hate to start with the "next year" talk already, but if you add Kiko to this Defense and shore up the secondary, we should have a top ten Defense.

If we can address the Guard positions via free agency and/or the draft, we inch a little closer.

There's still a gap between the Bills and the Pats, but it's a smaller gap than it used to be.

kscdogbillsfan1221
10-13-2014, 08:17 AM
I would love to have a franchise QB, but with decent OL play, Orton is better than average and could be borderline good.

In any case, QB is no longer our biggest problem and Guards are easier to find than QBs.

A few years ago, we were a lot further away from being a playoff team than we are now. I hate to start with the "next year" talk already, but if you add Kiko to this Defense and shore up the secondary, we should have a top ten Defense.

If we can address the Guard positions via free agency and/or the draft, we inch a little closer.

There's still a gap between the Bills and the Pats, but it's a smaller gap than it used to be.\

yup. it's called gronk, bellicheat and brady

billsburgh
10-13-2014, 08:25 AM

There's still a gap between the Bills and the Pats, but it's a smaller gap than it used to be.

the sad thing is, that's supposedly what they did this past off season with Williams and Richardson

Lucidvizion
10-13-2014, 08:25 AM
Orton was the only reason we were in that game at all. The running game was atrocious all around and Hackett took way too long to abandon it.

casdhf
10-13-2014, 08:50 AM
The OL needs time to gel. Hopefully they can pull it together and improve. Orton doesn't move around nearly as well as EJ did. They need to adjust.

Typ0
10-13-2014, 09:38 AM
Orton was the only reason we were in that game at all. The running game was atrocious all around and Hackett took way too long to abandon it.

well you could say the opposite too that Orton was the reason we didn't beat the Pats. The INT is something that happens with a lapse sometimes but the fumble was inexcusable. You can't put that on the line either he is the QB he's got to hold onto the football.

Typ0
10-13-2014, 09:39 AM
​Now hear this, Orton is a backup QB that just happens to be starting here.

If Orton is just backup material why has he won starting jobs? I remember when the guy came into the league he was like 4th on the depth chart and won the job outright because he's a competitor and he's got a cannon that threatens the whole field. Orton is a middle of the pack starting QB if you ask me ...

TheBrownBear
10-13-2014, 09:58 AM
Orton had two mistakes yesterday and they cost us a total of 3 points. He manufactured a ton of offense with some magician-like throws to Chandler. Guy is putting it into very tight windows. There's not a whole lot to complain about other than the slow starts in the first half, but a lot of that blame needs to fall on Hackett's playcalling. Orton is consistently faced with 3rd and 9s.

Typ0
10-13-2014, 10:13 AM
Orton had two mistakes yesterday and they cost us a total of 3 points. He manufactured a ton of offense with some magician-like throws to Chandler. Guy is putting it into very tight windows. There's not a whole lot to complain about other than the slow starts in the first half, but a lot of that blame needs to fall on Hackett's playcalling. Orton is consistently faced with 3rd and 9s.

It's a little too oversimplified to say they cost us only three points. We went from having the ball on offense to not having the ball. We put the defense on the field for more plays. Opportunities squandered against a seasoned team like the PATS should not be minimized. I agree with you about the balls he's throwing though. Even after a poor first half performance if he doesn't throw that really lame pic it's a stellar game in the air for us overall.