PDA

View Full Version : Wanna see how they bounce back.

Generalissimus Gibby
10-13-2014, 11:34 AM
Disclaimer: I AM IN NO WAY, SHAPE, OR FORM COMPARING THIS TEAM TO THE GLORY YEARS BECAUSE THIS TEAM HAS A LONG LONG WAY TO GO BEFORE THEY EVER REACH THAT LEVEL. I WILL MENTION THE 1990 BILLS GETTING KILLED AT MIAMI BUT THAT IS NOT TO COMPARE THEM. NOW WE RETURN YOU TO MY REGULARLY SCHEDULED THREAD.

I want to see how this team bounces back from this loss. Remember the 1990 Bills were not perfect, they had 5 turnovers and lost at Miami 30-7 only to go on something like a two month long winning streak. This game could be one of two things, a wakeup call that causes the players and coaches to get their **** together and start kicking some ass or it could be the annual tire and wheel game where they take the wheels off and the team goes into its usual playoff killing tailspin. I will know more about what this team is about over the next six weeks because really I can only see one or two losses on paper right now (we rarely sweep the Jets and the Browns are looking very dangerous right now). We come out angry against Minnesota and go at least 4-2 in the next six weeks I will be able to conclude that we have turned a corner. If, however, we come out flat and lose to Minnesota we could be in some very very bad trouble. In football as in life you will have your bad days, but in football as in life its how you come back that is the truest measure of success.

Is this team a success or just same ole Bills? The coming weeks are the litmus test. Lets hope it shows 4-2 or better.

Fletch
10-13-2014, 11:58 AM
Bounce back? From what? Just one loss? Our overall performance this season appears to be about the same.

We've played pretty consistently except for QB play but our rushing production has plummeted as a result. Detroit's defense may have been good but the Pats isn't all that.

Scoring has remained the same, defensively we've given up similar yards except for yesterday when the Pats, as usual, exposed us and offered a blueprint for all of our following opponents.

Every season everyone here talks about how many games we lose by 3 points or less, but this season so far we've won two by 3 points or less, once against a team that pretty much outplayed us and the other in a game that everyone says we should have lost. By the way, I disagree that we should have lost that, 50-yarders are hardly automatic, so I'm not one of those people. Still, two seemingly unlikely wins by 3 points is the point. Detroit was also operating at a fraction of their normal starting offense as well.

We have only beaten the Fins otherwise and can't seem to play well against playoff caliber talent.

I don't see much different from other recent seasons except that the timing of our wins is different. If we had played San Diego, Green Bay, and NE up front we could very well have been 0-3 to start.

But the overall play really isn't much different, if it is then I'd suggest it's worse than last season, even with Orton in. Once again, we're averaging 19.5 points with Orton and our rushing offense has vanished leaving us with no balance until we get that sorted out.

BertSquirtgum
10-13-2014, 01:51 PM
I want to see Marrone and Hackett fired and Schwartz promoted. Pepper Johnson as the new D coodrinator and let Todd Downing have a swing at the fences at offensive coordinator. Nobody can be worse than Hackett. Marrone proved to me many times that he can't game plan for good teams.

BertSquirtgum
10-13-2014, 01:56 PM
I really don't know who could replace Hackett but I think any one of us could call a better offensive game.

trapezeus
10-13-2014, 04:16 PM
the 88-90 teams were not bad. they were 12-4 and 8-8. supremely talented, but caught up in egos and bickering.

this team isn't supremely talented and they seem to like each other. they are the same old bills. they have to either lose or make a really close game of it against a team visiting that shouldn't even be in it. enter the vikings.

they don't have a qb, they are not running a scheme even remotely interesting or imaginative, and they are running the d into the ground. if that doesn't sound like the last 7 years....

The Jokeman
10-13-2014, 05:30 PM
I want to see Marrone and Hackett fired and Schwartz promoted. Pepper Johnson as the new D coodrinator and let Todd Downing have a swing at the fences at offensive coordinator. Nobody can be worse than Hackett. Marrone proved to me many times that he can't game plan for good teams.

Marron's job isn't to game plan. A HC job is to make his coordinators game plan and come game day he manages the game by calling timeouts, making challenges etc. Marrone's been a decent game day manager. Yet his biggest downfall is leaving Hackett as OC. That or maybe thinking Pears at RG is a good idea. I don't get how Urbik could be a top 25 RG under Gailey and now is sitting behind a guy like Richardson is prepared to start.

BertSquirtgum
10-13-2014, 06:29 PM
Marron's job isn't to game plan. A HC job is to make his coordinators game plan and come game day he manages the game by calling timeouts, making challenges etc. Marrone's been a decent game day manager. Yet his biggest downfall is leaving Hackett as OC. That or maybe thinking Pears at RG is a good idea. I don't get how Urbik could be a top 25 RG under Gailey and now is sitting behind a guy like Richardson is prepared to start.

Yes, it sure as **** is. He cut his meeting with Pegula short because he had a team to get ready for a game.

So, you're saying the coach just sits back with his feet up while the coordinators put together a game plan? Come on guy. Get real.

The Jokeman
10-13-2014, 06:52 PM
Yes, it sure as **** is. He cut his meeting with Pegula short because he had a team to get ready for a game.

So, you're saying the coach just sits back with his feet up while the coordinators put together a game plan? Come on guy. Get real.

No, but ultimately the HC is not the one developing the game plan etc. that's all on the coordinators for the most part. Yes, Marrone imparts his opinions/feelings but's it's not his main responsibility as HC.

Mace
10-13-2014, 07:05 PM
No, but ultimately the HC is not the one developing the game plan etc. that's all on the coordinators for the most part. Yes, Marrone imparts his opinions/feelings but's it's not his main responsibility as HC.

Hm. As I always understood it, HC is integral to the game plan process and ensures it is implemented, coordinating his coordinators.

He tells them what he wants, they refine the playbook to the plays for his plan via meetings, whiteboard them into playcards at his direction. Read some great article by Billick on the process once. HC is very involved.

jamze132
10-14-2014, 10:07 AM

You don't think the HC doesn't provide general guidance to his coordinators on what he wants to see the next game? You don't think the HC doesn't receive a brief on the game plan that both coordinators have came up with?

The HC has input before, during, and after the gameplan is ready.

The Jokeman
10-14-2014, 04:20 PM
You don't think the HC doesn't provide general guidance to his coordinators on what he wants to see the next game? You don't think the HC doesn't receive a brief on the game plan that both coordinators have came up with?

The HC has input before, during, and after the gameplan is ready.

He provides input but ultimately he doesn't develop it himself.

imbondz
10-14-2014, 06:14 PM
Schwartz is not a head coach. Good D coach, but he sucked at Detroit. That team had so much talent and they made the playoffs maybe once.

The Jokeman
10-14-2014, 06:17 PM
Schwartz is not a head coach. Good D coach, but he sucked at Detroit. That team had so much talent and they made the playoffs maybe once.

I'm not sure the more and more I watch Stafford I don't think he's a great QB. Sure he's got a big arm and does well with Megatron on the field put without Stafford looks pedestrian.

Mace
10-14-2014, 06:22 PM
I'm not sure the more and more I watch Stafford I don't think he's a great QB. Sure he's got a big arm and does well with Megatron on the field put without Stafford looks pedestrian.

Well it's said he regressed significantly with Todd Downing as his QB coach. Detroit had a pretty stacked lineup while Schwartz was HC, had no discipline.

The Jokeman
10-14-2014, 06:27 PM
Well it's said he regressed significantly with Todd Downing as his QB coach. Detroit had a pretty stacked lineup while Schwartz was HC, had no discipline.

The Bills lack discipline too which doesn't make sense as Marrone feels like he's a Tom Coughlin type but maybe that's just the media persona.