• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ed
    Dude
    • Sep 2002

Why not start Chris Hairston at OG?

I don't understand why the Bills don't give Chris Hairston a change at OG. I'll cut Richardson some slack since he's just a 5th round rookie, but it doesn't change the fact that he's struggled and probably been our worst O-lineman so far this year. Pears has looked bad too. OG just seems like a major weakness right now so why not make some changes like they did at qb? Why just continue along with the same guys that aren't getting it done?

I've always liked Chris Hairston and I'm glad he's still on the team as a swing tackle, but why not start him at OG? He's a young vet entering his prime that's started a bunch of games for us in the past at both LT and RT. I never felt like Hairston was a liability as a starter and thought he always played pretty well for the most part. Even at his worst, he was always at least adequate because I really don't recall him ever struggling. If it's easier to slide inside and play OG, why shouldn't we believe that Hairston could be an upgrade at either OG position? At this point I wouldn't mind seeing both Hairston and Urbik step in as starters. What do we really have to lose?
  • YardRat
    Well, lookie here...
    • Dec 2004

Re: Why not start Chris Hairston at OG?

Pears has been the worst, IMO. There was talk of Hairston working at guard, and IIRC he might have actually gotten preseason snaps there. Yeah, Richardson gets a pass to a certain point, but he really hasn't been that bad and we should expect to see improvement from week to week, hopefully. Don't know what goes on in practice, but I'd sure as hell at least get Urbik back in there and be trying to salvage something out of Hairston or KuJo by working them on the inside.
    YardRat Wall of Fame
    #56 DARRYL TALLEY
    #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• kingJofNYC
      • Sep 2009

Why not Urbik?

Marrone, more like moron. Woods and Glenn haven't been that good either. OL regressing under this coaching staff.

Comment

• Mace
        Haha...yeah you think so ?
        • Mar 2013

Originally posted by YardRat View Post
        Pears has been the worst, IMO. There was talk of Hairston working at guard, and IIRC he might have actually gotten preseason snaps there. Yeah, Richardson gets a pass to a certain point, but he really hasn't been that bad and we should expect to see improvement from week to week, hopefully. Don't know what goes on in practice, but I'd sure as hell at least get Urbik back in there and be trying to salvage something out of Hairston or KuJo by working them on the inside.
        To me the lack of Urbik is getting crazy stupid as opposed to ignorant stupid and past stubborn stupid. Pears has no business whatever at guard. Better to have one questionable position then both guards.

Major demerits to supposed line guru Marrone. If they have some major reason they refuse to use Urbik (who they supposedly even tried trading before the season) instead of the out of position lost Pears or the green, happily kept inactive Richardson, they had no business keeping him on the roster to begin with and it's yet another fumbled personnel/roster issue.
        Last edited by Mace; 10-13-2014, 06:46 PM.

Comment

• BertSquirtgum
          Legendary Zoner
          • May 2009

Because Marrone is an idiot and a terrible head coach.

Comment

• YardRat
            Well, lookie here...
            • Dec 2004

Originally posted by kingJofNYC View Post
            Why not Urbik?

Marrone, more like moron. Woods and Glenn haven't been that good either. OL regressing under this coaching staff.
            I don't think Glenn has been bad this season, but Wood leaves a little bit to be desired. Unfortunately, against the Patriots they all took turns ****ing up. It's difficult to determine which squad had the worst game...the oline or the dbacks? Flip a coin.
            YardRat Wall of Fame
            #56 DARRYL TALLEY
            #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• BertSquirtgum
              Legendary Zoner
              • May 2009

I don't think Glenn has been bad this season, but Wood leaves a little bit to be desired. Unfortunately, against the Patriots they all took turns ****ing up. It's difficult to determine which squad had the worst game...the oline or the dbacks? Flip a coin.
              To be fair....When the guards are human turnstiles, it makes the center look that much worse.

Comment

• kingJofNYC
                • Sep 2009

Glenn missed a lot of time, hard to get on him.

We miss Joe D, he was a true OL guru.

Comment

• BertSquirtgum
                  Legendary Zoner
                  • May 2009

I miss Chan Gailey's offense. I never thought I would say such a thing. Marrone is a joke.

Comment

• HHURRICANE
                    • Mar 2005

Is Cyril Richardson and the oline calling plays??

If not than I'm going with Hackett as the issue.

Comment

• Swiper
                      Legendary Zoner
                      • Sep 2010

Originally posted by Ed View Post
                      I don't understand why the Bills don't give Chris Hairston a change at OG. I'll cut Richardson some slack since he's just a 5th round rookie, but it doesn't change the fact that he's struggled and probably been our worst O-lineman so far this year. Pears has looked bad too. OG just seems like a major weakness right now so why not make some changes like they did at qb? Why just continue along with the same guys that aren't getting it done?

I've always liked Chris Hairston and I'm glad he's still on the team as a swing tackle, but why not start him at OG? He's a young vet entering his prime that's started a bunch of games for us in the past at both LT and RT. I never felt like Hairston was a liability as a starter and thought he always played pretty well for the most part. Even at his worst, he was always at least adequate because I really don't recall him ever struggling. If it's easier to slide inside and play OG, why shouldn't we believe that Hairston could be an upgrade at either OG position? At this point I wouldn't mind seeing both Hairston and Urbik step in as starters. What do we really have to lose?
                      Hairston is not a guard because he sucks. He was tried there in camp. He is in no way an upgrade. He's had more than his share of cracks at starting and he can't. Under multiple coaches. While I was once a fan of his - no longer. You can bet that Pears, Urbik AND HAIRSTON will all be gone next season.

Comment

• Swiper
                        Legendary Zoner
                        • Sep 2010

Originally posted by BertSquirtgum View Post
                        I miss Chan Gailey's offense. I never thought I would say such a thing. Marrone is a joke.
                        If they had only gotten Orton while Gailey and Joe D'Alessandris were still here instead of crappy Fitz. Buddy Nix was the worst.

Comment

• jamze132
                          Don’t hate…
                          • Jun 2003

I wonder if Hackett even understands defenses or if he adjusts to what the defense is trying to exploit in the middle of the game? I just keep seeing the same BS calls every week.

I also wonder how much of the in-game checks are the responsibility of the QB. If we line up and see the defense in position to negatively impact our play simply based on scheme, shouldn't the QB be responsbile to change the play to something more advantagious?

Comment

• Mahdi
                            • Mar 2004

Originally posted by BertSquirtgum View Post
                            The thing is Gailey had a system, a plan and he had players (mimus the QB) to fit that system.

His zone blocking scheme featured OL that fit the system, he coached it well and he had Spiller and Jackson doing real well in it. Spiller in particular was killer on that inside zone play he had.

At this time Marrone is missing ingredients to make this offense complete whether it is him not coaching it right or not having adequate players to run it. Urbik was at one time one of our best OL now he's that bad?

As for Wood, he's not going to standout when the two guys next to him are being abused. Pears needs to go. I also highly doubt Hairston is the answer inside.

We need to check FA for a potential G.

Comment

• cookie G
                              • Mar 2003

Originally posted by Mahdi View Post
                              The thing is Gailey had a system, a plan and he had players (mimus the QB) to fit that system.

His zone blocking scheme featured OL that fit the system, he coached it well and he had Spiller and Jackson doing real well in it. Spiller in particular was killer on that inside zone play he had.

At this time Marrone is missing ingredients to make this offense complete whether it is him not coaching it right or not having adequate players to run it. Urbik was at one time one of our best OL now he's that bad?

As for Wood, he's not going to standout when the two guys next to him are being abused. Pears needs to go. I also highly doubt Hairston is the answer inside.

We need to check FA for a potential G.
                              In terms of missing ingredients...

If you are going to design 20 of your 23 running plays up the middle, as we did Sunday, you better have Larry Allen and Logan Mankins as your guards.

Comment

Working...
                              X