• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • The King
    Without me it's just Awe so
    • Jun 2004

Let coaches challenge judgement calls

Too many calls are questionable, the officials are confused the announcers are confused and it's having a direct impact on the outcome of games. It's time the NFL let's coaches challenge officials. There should be a team in New York that gets to review the calls the officials make. It's the only way we're going to get this resolved and it will help the officials get more consistent.
    I remember that one fateful day when Coach took me aside. I knew what was coming. "You don't have to tell me," I said. "I'm off the team, aren't I?"
    "Well," said Coach, "you never were really ON the team. You made that uniform you're wearing out of rags and towels, and your helmet is a toy space helmet.
    You show up at practice and then either steal the ball and make us chase you to get it back, or you try to tackle people at inappropriate times."
    It was all
    true what he was saying. And yet, I thought something is brewing inside the head of this Coach.
    He sees something in me, some kind of raw talent that he can
    mold. But that's when I felt the handcuffs go on.

• Historian
    2020-2023 AFC East Champions!
    • Dec 2002

Re: Let coaches challenge judgement calls

We had this in the 1970's

It was called Don Shula.

Comment

• justasportsfan
      • Jul 2002

the reason why refs now wear some kind of wireless headset is to wait for instructions from Kraft.

Kraft" "Money deposited into your account, throw/pick-up flag"
      sacrifice1
      https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• imbondz
        Democrats are people too
        • Jan 2003

I like the idea of coaches getting 2 more challenges on judgment call penalties. Like the ridiculous call on Hughes on Sunday would have been overturned.

at least it got some attention how dumb it was

My faith doesn’t make me perfect, it makes me forgiven.

Comment

• Meathead
          Insufferable prick and perpetual crybaby
          • Jul 2002

ive never been thrilled with that idea but after what we watched this weekend i think ive been swayed

judgement calls are very tough to remove from pro sports and at some point you just have to let refs make those calls and live with it. but the stuff we saw/have been seeing is so ridiculous and repeatedly moving the goalposts back for no good reason i think its time to give something a shot

marcia was in her zone so im not sure it would have been the difference but it certainly could. time and time again the bills were getting key plays only to have them reversed by very questionable calls to say the least (ie. absurdly inexplicable is more like it)

but at a time when the nfl is continuing to try to speed up games im not sure how they could do that without introducing long delays. its tough enough getting a ruling when the challenges are for objective things like stepping oob, if they are required now to exercise judgement well that could triple the review time easy
          One set of rules for all in the beloved community

Comment

• DraftBoy
            Administrator
            • Jul 2002

You want to slow the game down even more than it already is?
            COMING SOON...
            Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
            We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Comment

• bf1
              • Oct 2010

The problem isn't the lack of challenging. The problem is the refs are flag happy. It really sucks. Let them play unless it's something obvious. I'd rather they miss penalties here and there than have ones called that shouldn't be called.

Comment

• mightysimi
                Buckle me in on the highway of sin
                • Mar 2010

I think they are waiting from the CFL data this year as this is the first year you can challenge PI

Comment

• The King
                  Without me it's just Awe so
                  • Jun 2004

Originally posted by DraftBoy View Post
                  There will definitely be a period of that. But once they know what they're looking for it will improve.
                  I remember that one fateful day when Coach took me aside. I knew what was coming. "You don't have to tell me," I said. "I'm off the team, aren't I?"
                  "Well," said Coach, "you never were really ON the team. You made that uniform you're wearing out of rags and towels, and your helmet is a toy space helmet.
                  You show up at practice and then either steal the ball and make us chase you to get it back, or you try to tackle people at inappropriate times."
                  It was all
                  true what he was saying. And yet, I thought something is brewing inside the head of this Coach.
                  He sees something in me, some kind of raw talent that he can
                  mold. But that's when I felt the handcuffs go on.

Comment

• bf1
                    • Oct 2010

I forget what game I was watching. There was a play where they were trying to determine if the receiver had possession of the ball. Both announcers were unsure and were bemoaning the fact that no one can really explain what is an isn't a catch. Even that Mike Pereira guy couldn't help in explaining on that play.

There are way to many rule changes year after year that add more complexity than making things straight forward.

Comment

• BLeonard
                      BoB Sabermetrician
                      • Jan 2003

The problem is, you'd still have the same people looking at the replays during the challenges.

If the refs are making bad calls, in an effort to favor one team or another, why would they reverse it on a challenge?

I like the whole concept of "sending it to NY," but if those people are in on the "fix" as well, it's not going to make a difference.

I'm honestly to the point that, whenever the Bills play the Patriots and the Bills make a good play, I don't even get excited anymore, as I'm awaiting the inevitable flag that follows... Which it does more often than not.

-Bill

Comment

• jamze132
                        • Jun 2003

I wish there was a system behind the scenes where when the refs see the video of their previous game, they get docked for BS calls. Oh wait...

Comment

• Forward_Lateral
                          • Mar 2004

Simple cure for that. Charge a team a 15 yard unsportsmanlike conduct penalty if their challenge isn't upheld.

Comment

• IlluminatusUIUC
                            • Sep 2012

Originally posted by BLeonard View Post
                            The problem is, you'd still have the same people looking at the replays during the challenges.

If the refs are making bad calls, in an effort to favor one team or another, why would they reverse it on a challenge?

I like the whole concept of "sending it to NY," but if those people are in on the "fix" as well, it's not going to make a difference.

I'm honestly to the point that, whenever the Bills play the Patriots and the Bills make a good play, I don't even get excited anymore, as I'm awaiting the inevitable flag that follows... Which it does more often than not.

-Bill
                            If the fix is in, the fix is in, and there's no internal change that would fix it. At that point its a criminal issue.

If they limit it to the existing challenge system, it wouldn't slow the game down any more than it already does. Considering penalties easily can swing the field by 50+ yards, they should be subject to some more scrutiny.

I also said there should be a rule that any penalty that automatically awards a first down or provides a 15+ yard swing should be explained by the ref and shown on TV (or made available later)

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by Forward_Lateral View Post
                            Simple cure for that. Charge a team a 15 yard unsportsmanlike conduct penalty if their challenge isn't upheld.
                            That is an awful idea.

Billszone 2013 Prediction Contest winner!

Comment

• YardRat
                              Well, lookie here...
                              • Dec 2004

It certainly is frustrating, but I still don't know if there is an acceptable solution, other than putting together a team that is good enough to overcome the opponent and the ref. Even then, no team is good enough if the calls are as lopsided as they were this past Sunday.
                              YardRat Wall of Fame
                              #56 DARRYL TALLEY
                              #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

Working...
                              X