PDA

View Full Version : Brian Hoyer

casdhf
10-14-2014, 07:58 AM
Upgrade over Otron? I would be surprised to see him back with the Browns next season and his numbers are very good. I must say, I have not seen him play at all though. Anyone watch his game?

better days
10-14-2014, 08:01 AM
Upgrade over Otron? I would be surprised to see him back with the Browns next season and his numbers are very good. I must say, I have not seen him play at all though. Anyone watch his game?

We were flipping that game on during commercials.

I said to my friends, I would like to see the Bills sign Hoyer in the off season.

With Johnny Football in waiting, do the Browns want to give Hoyer a starters contract?

casdhf
10-14-2014, 08:02 AM
I just read on NFL.com that Hoyer won't sign one apparently with Johnny on the team.

don137
10-14-2014, 08:02 AM
I would be shocked if Cleveland lets him go. If he continues doing well they would be foolish to replace Hoyer with an unknown just because he is a first round pick. That is a decision that can get GMs fired if backfires.

Mr. Miyagi
10-14-2014, 08:03 AM
I always liked him. He's a lot more athletic but Orton has the veteran experience.

better days
10-14-2014, 08:06 AM
I would be shocked if Cleveland lets him go. If he continues doing well they would be foolish to replace Hoyer with an unknown just because he is a first round pick. That is a decision that can get GMs fired if backfires.

Well, he is a FA after this year.

I think it will take a Starting QB's contract to keep him in Cleveland.

Do the Bowns want to pay that much to keep him with Manziel waiting on the bench?

The Jokeman
10-14-2014, 08:17 AM

I'd rather the Bills sign the Browns' TE Jordan Cameron. I know Chandler was great Sunday but he almost always excels against New England. If the Bills are going to pursue a veteran QB in UFA one name I'd look at is Austin Davis who's currently starting in St. Louis. He might not be an upgrade but he's still young and at the very least he could be a long term backup as I don't see Orton playing in Buffalo after his current contract runs out.

better days
10-14-2014, 08:24 AM
I'd rather the Bills sign the Browns' TE Jordan Cameron. I know Chandler was great Sunday but he almost always excels against New England. If the Bills are going to pursue a veteran QB in UFA one name I'd look at is Austin Davis who's currently starting in St. Louis. He might not be an upgrade but he's still young and at the very least he could be a long term backup as I don't see Orton playing in Buffalo after his current contract runs out.

Hoyer has plenty of mileage left on his tires & I think is a better QB than Davis.

Fletch
10-14-2014, 08:58 AM

Agreed. If they make the playoffs with him then they'd be fools to let him walk.

What's doing it offensively for the Browns is their RBs. West, Tate, and Crowell are all averaging over 4.4 ypc and collectively they have 715 yards on 4.7 ypc.

Everyone here clammored about how ****ty their WRs were, but their top five WRs comprised of 4 WRs and 1 TE have 71 catches for 1,039 yards and 6 TDs. Our top five non-RB receivers also comprised of 4 WRs and 1 TD have 81 catches for 1,028 yards and 5 TDs, despite Cleveland throwing for over 200 fewer yards on the season. Good or bad, the difference between them and us is that Jackson is our second leading receiver and they don't have a RB in the top-7.

I have watched Hoyer a few times this season just wondering how he's playing, and I would describe his play as efficient. He gets done what needs to be done at the times that it needs to be done generally speaking and the Browns have great offensive balance as a result.

They have three easy games followed by Cincy and then two more easy games ahead with three of the five easy games being at home. Their only two losses at this point have been to divisional rivals and they've split with Pittsburgh. They could very easily be 7-4 by the time that they play us.

feldspar
10-14-2014, 09:18 AM
I remember a time that Buffalo made a knee-jerk decision to sign a guy to a big contract after 6 games or so. I'll give you two hints: it was fairly recent, and the guy had a tremendous beard.

Of course, the right thing to do is to let it play out before you hand a QB starters money on any level. Anything could happen, including Hoyer getting hurt again.

Gotta remember that Cleveland is Hoyer's hometown. It's his dream job to play there. It's a great story (so far) ask me. I really doubt that Hoyer would turn down starters money to play there, Johnny Football or no.

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2014/10/brian_hoyer_on_if_hell_sign_a.html

I just can't see getting too carried away with a guy like Hoyer at this point. Will he be an upgrade over Orton? How will he do in a different system? I don't like the sample size right now.

better days
10-14-2014, 10:29 AM
I remember a time that Buffalo made a knee-jerk decision to sign a guy to a big contract after 6 games or so. I'll give you two hints: it was fairly recent, and the guy had a tremendous beard.

Of course, the right thing to do is to let it play out before you hand a QB starters money on any level. Anything could happen, including Hoyer getting hurt again.

Gotta remember that Cleveland is Hoyer's hometown. It's his dream job to play there. It's a great story (so far) ask me. I really doubt that Hoyer would turn down starters money to play there, Johnny Football or no.

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2014/10/brian_hoyer_on_if_hell_sign_a.html

I just can't see getting too carried away with a guy like Hoyer at this point. Will he be an upgrade over Orton? How will he do in a different system? I don't like the sample size right now.

Well, there are a number of games to be played yet to increase the sample size & this is not Hoyer's first year.

I agree, if the Browns offer him a Starters contract, Hoyer takes it.

$10-$12 Mill per year with GUARANTEED money. The Browns will have to offer him a contract that guarantees he starts.

Fletch
10-14-2014, 10:49 AM

If Hoyer gets them to the playoffs they'd be foolish to trade him or let him walk for someone who's chances for success in the NFL are still unknown.

Best case scenario for them is if Hoyer gets hurt or something and Johnny football has to play so that they can evaluate.

I can understand Hoyer's concern that if he re-signs and becomes a backup to Manziel, but I don't know why he can't put a clause that he's allowed to be a free agent if he doesn't start so many games in his contract. Seems reasonable to me.

Fletch
10-14-2014, 10:54 AM

And Rob Johnson too.

Hoyer has played very well since starting in Cleveland. I'd swap him for Orton. I'm sure that the coaches would ruin his career here though.

Albany,n.y.
10-14-2014, 12:17 PM
And Rob Johnson too.

Hoyer has played very well since starting in Cleveland. I'd swap him for Orton. I'm sure that the coaches would ruin his career here though.

Coaches don't ruin players unless they do something that gets the guy injured. That's the biggest fallacy in the NFL. I'll go as far as saying no coach has ever ruined a QB, but plenty of QBs have been coach killers. The reason fans say a guy got ruined is because they just can't accept that the guy who they thought was going to be great is a giant bust. Fans can't believe that their team's scouts are clueless, so they blame the coaches when the team drafts a guy who should have never been drafted in the 1st place. It's a lot easier to blame the high profile coach instead of some scout whose name we don't even know. No player with an ounce of intestinal fortitude has ever been ruined by a benching or being yanked in & out of games. You can't ruin a JP Losman, like many around here said back in the day, he was never any good, unless you count the UFL. Nobody should ever accuse Rex Ryan or Doug Marrone of ruining Geno or EJ-they were each drafted about 7 rounds too soon. I won't be surprised that on the day Kouandjio gets cut, someone posts how the Bills ruined him, although most of the ruined nonsense is usually reserved for QBs.

better days
10-14-2014, 12:24 PM
Coaches don't ruin players unless they do something that gets the guy injured. That's the biggest fallacy in the NFL. I'll go as far as saying no coach has ever ruined a QB, but plenty of QBs have been coach killers. The reason fans say a guy got ruined is because they just can't accept that the guy who they thought was going to be great is a giant bust. Fans can't believe that their team's scouts are clueless, so they blame the coaches when the team drafts a guy who should have never been drafted in the 1st place. It's a lot easier to blame the high profile coach instead of some scout whose name we don't even know. No player with an ounce of intestinal fortitude has ever been ruined by a benching or being yanked in & out of games. You can't ruin a JP Losman, like many around here said back in the day, he was never any good, unless you count the UFL. Nobody should ever accuse Rex Ryan or Doug Marrone of ruining Geno or EJ-they were each drafted about 7 rounds too soon. I won't be surprised that on the day Kouandjio gets cut, someone posts how the Bills ruined him, although most of the ruined nonsense is usually reserved for QBs.

Well, a QB that has a NUMBER of different people coaching him in a number of different systems while he is developing can be ruined by that.

Joe Montana would never have become a HOF QB if he were drafted by a team like the Texans were when they drafted Carr.

Figster
10-14-2014, 12:31 PM
I'm happy with Kyle Orton > Hoyer, and If he continues to play well, gets us to the playoffs, wouldn't mind seeing him continue on as the starter.

Carson Palmer is the guy I wouldn't mind getting our hands on though...

Albany,n.y.
10-14-2014, 12:32 PM
Well, a QB that has a NUMBER of different people coaching him in a number of different systems while he is developing can be ruined by that.

Joe Montana would never have become a HOF QB if he were drafted by a team like the Texans were when they drafted Carr.

You're dead wrong. Unfortunately since that didn't happen you can spout nonsense like that & some people will believe you. Bad QBs DO have a number of coaches because their bad play gets guys fired. You have it totally backwards. The fact is when Joe Montana was drafted by SF, they were the worst team in football. Carr wasn't ruined, and nobody could have ruined Montana unless they shot him.

better days
10-14-2014, 12:51 PM
You're dead wrong. Unfortunately since that didn't happen you can spout nonsense like that & some people will believe you. Bad QBs DO have a number of coaches because their bad play gets guys fired. You have it totally backwards. The fact is when Joe Montana was drafted by SF, they were the worst team in football. Carr wasn't ruined, and nobody could have ruined Montana unless they shot him.

NO, you are the one that is dead wrong.

David Carr was SACKED way too often in Houston & Montana would have been as well.

DOUBTFUL Montana would have lasted as long as Carr did, he would have had too many injuries.

Montana became a HOF QB because he was LUCKY enough to be drafted by a team with GREAT COACHING that knew what system to use him in.

And at that time it was much easier & faster to turn a team around than it is today with the rules now in place.

kingJofNYC
10-14-2014, 12:51 PM
No, can I have Cleveland's run game instead. How about their OL?

Albany,n.y.
10-14-2014, 01:39 PM
NO, you are the one that is dead wrong.

David Carr was SACKED way too often in Houston & Montana would have been as well.

DOUBTFUL Montana would have lasted as long as Carr did, he would have had too many injuries.

Montana became a HOF QB because he was LUCKY enough to be drafted by a team with GREAT COACHING that knew what system to use him in.

And at that time it was much easier & faster to turn a team around than it is today with the rules now in place.

Explain how the coaching staff had anything to do with a QB getting sacked too often since my point is coaching cannot ruin a player. What are they supposed to do, not play him until they acquire 5 Anthony Munozs?

WagonCircler
10-14-2014, 01:50 PM
Montana became a HOF QB because he was LUCKY enough to be drafted by a team with GREAT COACHING that knew what system to use him in..

So, the fact that Montana won a National Championship at Notre Dame was just blind luck, then?

trapezeus
10-14-2014, 02:16 PM
cleveland,assuming that hoyer plays well througout the season and that romo kills cowboy fans hopes in dramatic fashion in the playoffs, i think Cleveland can easily dangle johnny football to dallas.

the rule seems to be that teams with an inkling that their qb is in the top 10 is worth resigning because even if they can't win it all, it's better than the option of having to look again.

kingJofNYC
10-14-2014, 03:03 PM
Hey, you guys remember when Kirk Cousins was going to get traded for a 1st round pick....lets all laugh.

The beauty of small sample sizes and great run game.

better days
10-14-2014, 03:24 PM
So, the fact that Montana won a National Championship at Notre Dame was just blind luck, then?

Montana was a THIRD ROUND DRAFT PICK.

He did not have a strong arm & was not that highly thought of coming out of College.

He was LUCKY to be drafted by the 49ers who just hired a HOF HC that knew enough to put Montana in a West Coast Offense where he thrived.

Had Montana been drafted by the Bills at that time or a team like the Texans he would have been another obscure QB that won in College & never amounted to anything in the NFL.

The Jokeman
10-14-2014, 04:12 PM
Montana was a THIRD ROUND DRAFT PICK.

He did not have a strong arm & was not that highly thought of coming out of College.

He was LUCKY to be drafted by the 49ers who just hired a HOF HC that knew enough to put Montana in a West Coast Offense where he thrived.

Had Montana been drafted by the Bills at that time or a team like the Texans he would have been another obscure QB that won in College & never amounted to anything in the NFL.

Montana also benefitted from the 49ers having one of the best drafts ever in 1986. As that year they were able to get Charles Haley, John Taylor, Tom Rathman, Kevin Fagan, Don Griffin, Steve Wallace, Tim McKyer and Larry Roberts. It's why I hate when people feel that franchise QBs are purely born as to me they all benefit from having great players around them.Toss in their 1984 class netted them two Pro Bowlers (Guy McIntyre and Michael Carter), three starters (Todd Shell, John Frank and Jeff Fuller) and versatile running back/returner Derrick Harmon. Heck their 1983 draft wasn't bad either with Roger Craig and Jesse Sapolu. It's similar to the Bills classes of 1985 netting Bruce and Andre and then in 1987 getting Bennett, Conlan, Odomes, Mueller, Seals, and McKeller and Ballard. People want to point out that Kelly was the reason the team turned around. I can argue differently.

better days
10-15-2014, 07:07 AM
Explain how the coaching staff had anything to do with a QB getting sacked too often since my point is coaching cannot ruin a player. What are they supposed to do, not play him until they acquire 5 Anthony Munozs?

Well, my point to which you responded was that a QB could be ruined by having had too many Coaches & systems while he was young & developing.

David Carr may have been a GREAT QB if he had been drafted by a better team with GOOD Coaching.