PDA

View Full Version : Now that the Honeymoon is Over, Lets Talk Pegula

bf1
10-14-2014, 09:07 AM
He/they hasn't really had a good track record with the Sabres, right?

Should we be concerned about their ability to turn this 14 year disaster around?

sukie
10-14-2014, 09:12 AM
Hey he's bringing minor league hockey tourneys to buffalo to coincide with his minor league NHL team. And the fall out is a snazzy new Courtyard by Marriott...

- - - Updated - - -
PS the honeymoon isn't over and the evidence will surely follow.

Fletch
10-14-2014, 09:25 AM
He/they hasn't really had a good track record with the Sabres, right?

Should we be concerned about their ability to turn this 14 year disaster around?

The Sabres experts seem to differ in opinion based on pre-Pegula-purchase posts.

I definitely think that we need to be concerned, especially with Kim seemingly want to get involved. If she simply takes the CEO role and tends to league business, then great. But if she becomes a Snyder or Jones-like influence here how could anyone possibly spin that as good news?

Also, by Whaley's own admission, if Manuel whiffs, and he has, and particularly if we don't make the playoffs this season after promising such after trading the farm to get Watkins, then he should be gone. There isn't a single reason to keep him at that point from a football standpoint. He'll have only proven that he's clueless and is in over his head just as much as our coaching staff is.

Terry seems to be more interested in creating some sort of downtown entertainment venue than he is in actually putting a winning product on the field. That's largely based on speculation, but I haven't read a quote by him yet promising to do what it takes to put a winning team on the field with no sacred cows being spared.

How this season plays out will answer a lot of questions. If we don't end up winning at least 8 games, Whaley should be fired within hours after our 9th loss whenever that is. That would be a nice opening statement.

If we do end up winning 9 games, then we can talk. 8-8 is debatable.

For now this team appears to be another crumbling Bills team that is headed for 6-10 or 7-9 again. We don't even have any significant injuries. If we lose Orton, Watkins, Woods, Chandler, or Jackson on offense, or one of our Tackles, it won't be good. If we lose one of our DL-men it also won't be good. We will lose someone at some point, the question is who. But right now we are enjoying a huge non-injury advantage and still can't capitalize.

feldspar
10-14-2014, 09:35 AM
PS the honeymoon isn't over and the evidence will surely follow.

Correct. The honeymoon isn't over. Not by a longshot.

He's been the owner of the Bills for less than a week, for Christ's sake. The suitcases haven't even unpacked yet.

Goobylal
10-14-2014, 09:41 AM
The honeymoon will never be over. He'll keep the team in Buffalo for our lifetimes and that's all you need to know. Anything beyond that is gravy.

casdhf
10-14-2014, 09:44 AM
He tried to buy his way into the NHL playoffs. He failed, cleaned house, and gutted the roster. He obviously learned from his mistake and is doing things the right way. The NFL is a different animal than the NHL, so we really just have to wait and see.

imbondz
10-14-2014, 09:46 AM
I'm still on the honeymoon

sukie
10-14-2014, 09:46 AM
He tried to buy his way into the NHL playoffs. He failed, cleaned house, and gutted the roster. He obviously learned from his mistake and is doing things the right way. The NFL is a different animal than the NHL, so we really just have to wait and see.

All on the advice of the same ole Same ole GM... That was kept in place far too long.

jamze132
10-14-2014, 09:49 AM
Just about everyone is saying that the Sabres will be a team to be recokoned with in a couple of years...

We're going to have to deal with yet another coach/roster turnover with the Bills before we experience continued success.

sukie
10-14-2014, 09:52 AM
Just about everyone is saying that the Sabres will be a team to be recokoned with in a couple of years...

That has been said many many times... Then sprinkle in the "Only a couple of peices away"... lather rinse repeat.

SpikedLemonade
10-14-2014, 10:05 AM

They have been saying that about the Oilers for an even longer period.

Often high draft picks just don't work out.

trapezeus
10-14-2014, 10:08 AM
mid season takeover, there isn't much he can do. it's all house money at this point. let the team play out the season and assess afterwards.

i really think that his use of a consultant in buying the team has a bunch of other consulting on how to build a winner. i don't think they are flying blind on this. the sabres, it looked like he was just a big fan and thought, "give them money and let's see what can happen". He also has a reputation of being fair. and he let lindy and darcy fail or succeed. when they failed, he moved on. he didn't go with the mob.

If the bills miss the playoffs in a melt down, i think he starts over. if they are close, i think he'll give people a chance to fix it. and if they win, he'll get all the credit for doing nothing but wiring money over.

THATHURMANATOR
10-14-2014, 10:11 AM
They are finally doing with the Sabres what should have been done 6 or 7 year ago after we lost Briere and Drury.

Gut the roster of the soft core of players and start over.

They have the #1 rated farm system in hockey and they are tanking for the next Gretsky (Conor Mcdavid)

We WANT to lose this year. They are doing what the Bills should have done with Luck. It is obvious and it is the right thing to do.

YardRat
10-14-2014, 10:47 AM
As trap somewhat alluded to, the honeymoon really goes for the rest of this season.

I know some think Pegs is doing the right thing with the Sabres, and I honestly don't know how much influence the following received from Terry as opposed to Murray, but the hiring and extension of Nolan certainly doesn't inspire confidence in me.

After almost 45 years of following the Bills and all of the pitfalls, I'm kind of over the 'clean house and rebuild' business model, I've been through it too many times and don't know how many more I have left in me. I'd prefer the team start to win some games on the field, get to the playoffs with this roster plus a few upgrades, and let Whaley and Marrone have an opportunity to finish what they started last year.

THATHURMANATOR
10-14-2014, 10:57 AM
They have been saying that about the Oilers for an even longer period.

Often high draft picks just don't work out.

Can't disagree here but Mcdavid and Eichel are much higher level prospects than who the Oilers got.

After this season they must make an effort to keep and acquire established players as well.

WagonCircler
10-14-2014, 10:59 AM
The Sabres and Tim Murray are working a plan and working it HARD.

For decades, they just plodded along and made excuses, largely ending up in the middle of the pack.

Now, instead of whining about how unfair it is that the Pens get Crosby and Malkin, they've decided to say "Screw it. Let's suck it up for a while and go about things the way the Pens and Hawks did."

As a result, they have the most talented developing players and largest stock of blue chip draft choices in the NHL.

They're building the foundation for a dynasty.

If you don't understand that or know it already, you really just don't know what you're talking about.

YardRat
10-14-2014, 11:04 AM
The Sabres and Tim Murray are working a plan and working it HARD.

For decades, they just plodded along and made excuses, largely ending up in the middle of the pack.

Now, instead of whining about how unfair it is that the Pens get Crosby and Malkin, they've decided to say "Screw it. Let's suck it up for a while and go about things the way the Pens and Hawks did."

As a result, they have the most talented developing players and largest stock of blue chip draft choices in the NHL.

They're building the foundation for a dynasty.

If you don't understand that or know it already, you really just don't know what you're talking about.

Just out of curiosity, and I'm really not trying to be contrary, but how long are you giving the dynasty to develop and manifest itself on the ice until you start wondering if you're the one that doesn't know what he's talking about?

THATHURMANATOR
10-14-2014, 11:12 AM
Just out of curiosity, and I'm really not trying to be contrary, but how long are you giving the dynasty to develop and manifest itself on the ice until you start wondering if you're the one that doesn't know what he's talking about?

I would say that in 3 years we should be a very good team.

Possibility at smelling the playoffs in 2.

Of course nothing is a definite.

Could this backfire? Of course.

better days
10-14-2014, 11:17 AM
Can't disagree here but Mcdavid and Eichel are much higher level prospects than who the Oilers got.

After this season they must make an effort to keep and acquire established players as well.

Much higher level than the Sabres got last year as well.

bf1
10-14-2014, 11:39 AM
Correct. The honeymoon isn't over. Not by a longshot.

He's been the owner of the Bills for less than a week, for Christ's sake. The suitcases haven't even unpacked yet.

This is the N-F-L, which stands for Not For Long with an attitude like that.

THATHURMANATOR
10-14-2014, 11:53 AM

No Matthew NFL actually does stand for National Football League.....

Mr. Pink
10-14-2014, 11:54 AM

Corey...it's No Fun League.

bf1
10-14-2014, 12:04 PM

Not with an attitude like his! :mad:

WagonCircler
10-14-2014, 01:47 PM

Last I read, Pegula had owned the Sabres for roughly 180 games. Hockey is like baseball, not like football.

Every reputable hockey publication says that the Sabres have the best prospects in its system in the league.

I say the Sabres go deep into the playoffs the year after next. With McDavid or Eichel on the team.

And you are being contrary. If you're going to be a douche, at least own it.

feldspar
10-14-2014, 02:00 PM

This is the I-N-T-E-R-N-E-T, which means that you're an asswhole.

The guy is supposed to turn the whole franchise around in THREE days? Is he supposed to fire everybody right away? If so, who is he supposed to hire as replacements after a few days?

Which drugs are you on?

Yeah, I'm fed up with Pegula already...just like you. I mean, I'm doing my best not to call you an idiot here. Trying not to call you a complete fool. A moron. Trying my best.

trapezeus
10-14-2014, 02:03 PM
frankly, there is a lot of money to be made in being a winning team. a lot of fans on the periphery tend to be bandwagon fans (see: patriot fans). They love their fantasy teams more. They'll travel to see their star player, and buy bills jerseys of that player etc.

the whole brandon model (keep expenses low, sell out home games in the first half of the season and avoid the risk of heavy roster payrolls) should be sold out. the reason he wanted the games sold out up front was to offset how crappy they knew the teams would be in the back end.

I will have real patience to see what a real front office does from ground up than watch brandon parade around like he knows coaching and then pawning off problems on others. Half this board thinks he hasn't been involved in business operatoins until like last year. the guy sells people a bill of goods when it comes to his own name and is great at selling others down the rive.

If terry believes "i build a winner and fans love a dominant team" the fan base will expand beyond brandon's vision of WNY, Canada and parts of Upstate new york. it starts becoming national. that model is a lot riskier, but an owner who doesn't care about every penny will be more likely to see that the pie is much bigger by simply building a winner.

bf1
10-14-2014, 03:20 PM
This is the I-N-T-E-R-N-E-T, which means that you're an asswhole.

The guy is supposed to turn the whole franchise around in THREE days? Is he supposed to fire everybody right away? If so, who is he supposed to hire as replacements after a few days?

Which drugs are you on?

Yeah, I'm fed up with Pegula already...just like you. I mean, I'm doing my best not to call you an idiot here. Trying not to call you a complete fool. A moron. Trying my best.

No you are the asswhole, asswhole.

I'm NOT saying they can turn the team around this quickly. Did you read my post?

I AM ASKING that now that the euphoria of the team staying in Buffalo wears off a little, should we be concerned that the Sabres haven't had success under them.

I don't follow hockey, so I'm legitimately asking.

You asswhole you.

better days
10-14-2014, 03:34 PM

I'm NOT saying they can turn the team around this quickly. Did you read my post?

I AM ASKING that now that the euphoria of the team staying in Buffalo wears off a little, should we be concerned that the Sabres haven't had success under them.

You asswhole you.

I think anyone that knows hockey can tell you the Sabres are on the correct path.

YardRat
10-14-2014, 03:44 PM
Last I read, Pegula had owned the Sabres for roughly 180 games. Hockey is like baseball, not like football.

Every reputable hockey publication says that the Sabres have the best prospects in its system in the league.

I say the Sabres go deep into the playoffs the year after next. With McDavid or Eichel on the team.

Thurm was able to give a straight answer without taking offense, and I was very specific about there being no intent because I didn't want the question to be perceived in that manner.

What if they don't get McDavid or Eichel? Still a deep playoff team the year after next with all of the blue chip prospects they have in the fold already?

YardRat
10-14-2014, 03:46 PM
BTW, I realize it's cute, but let's try and lay off the 'asswhole' verbage, mmmkay?

DynaPaul
10-14-2014, 04:42 PM
Personally I think the honeymoon is 2 - 3 years. That's the standard timeframe to rebuild a franchise.

WagonCircler
10-14-2014, 04:48 PM
Thurm was able to give a straight answer without taking offense, and I was very specific about there being no intent because I didn't want the question to be perceived in that manner.

What if they don't get McDavid or Eichel? Still a deep playoff team the year after next with all of the blue chip prospects they have in the fold already?

I think they could win a cup three years after they get McDavid or Eichel.

If they don't, I think they would still have a deep, young, very talented team comprised of high draft choices that would contend for a very long time, thanks to their youth and talent.

And you're being disingenuous about your intent. You made it sound like I'm out on an island making this stuff up about the Sabres having a deeply talented system. I'm not. It's common knowledge.

YardRat
10-14-2014, 04:56 PM
I think they could win a cup three years after they get McDavid or Eichel.

If they don't, I think they would still have a deep, young, very talented team comprised of high draft choices that would contend for a very long time, thanks to their youth and talent.

And you're being disingenuous about your intent. You made it sound like I'm out on an island making this stuff up about the Sabres having a deeply talented system. I'm not. It's common knowledge.

I don't think you're alone, I've seen it referenced several times myself.

The Jokeman
10-14-2014, 05:57 PM

The problem is with the NHL draft based on the mysterious envelopes there's a chance we won't get McDavid or Eichel. As it seems to me that teams that are in danger of relocating or not drawing fans or have ownership problems seem to find a way to end up to get the once in a lifetime prospects. See when the Penguins were being talked about being moved from Pittsburgh and what happens? They end up getting Sid the Kid. I see a similar thing happening in Florida this year.

Mace
10-14-2014, 06:18 PM
Well, if Pegula is as rumored going after Ernie Accorsi (fellow Penn Stater) as a consultant to review the football organization, it's a mighty good and concise beginning to get a handle on the state of things and fix them accordingly. Doesn't worry me whatever.

As many have said, Sabres are bad atm, but have the best, deepest prospect pool in the league I've heard it said, but they look like they're finally going through the process of building a long view powerhouse correctly.

Football is shorter term, but using an Accorsi as a consultant would just be a very positive step.

The Jokeman
10-14-2014, 06:37 PM
Well, if Pegula is as rumored going after Ernie Accorsi (fellow Penn Stater) as a consultant to review the football organization, it's a mighty good and concise beginning to get a handle on the state of things and fix them accordingly. Doesn't worry me whatever.

As many have said, Sabres are bad atm, but have the best, deepest prospect pool in the league I've heard it said, but they look like they're finally going through the process of building a long view powerhouse correctly.

Football is shorter term, but using an Accorsi as a consultant would just be a very positive step.

I'd favor Wolf over Accorsi since he does a great job at eyeing QBs. As everyone knows about how Wolf got Brett Favre but let's not forget he also had Mark Brunell, Kurt Warner and Matt Hasselbeck in Green Bay at one time (yes Kurt Warner spent some camp time with the Packers). Not only that but Wolf also has ties to Aaron Brooks and Ty Detmer.

feldspar
10-14-2014, 06:47 PM

You asswhole you.

LOL, clarify yourself when you speak, son. I DID read your post. There was no question in it. YOU should read it again and tell me how a person is supposed to take that. What exactly did you mean by "an attitude like that?"

If Pegula made any move whatsoever so far, that would be dumb of him.