PDA

View Full Version : Bills Favored By 5 Points Against Minnesota

BillsImpossible
10-14-2014, 06:01 PM
I hate this game already.

A lot of money is going to be bet on the Bills this week to win and cover.

An easy win, right?

No way. The Bills should win because they have more talent on paper, but it won't be by more than 5 points if they do win.

Defense

The Vikings have the league's 8th ranked overall defense, the Bills are ranked 11th.

Against the pass, the Vikings defense is ranked 6th, the Bills are ranked 26th, ouch.

Against the run, the Vikings are ranked 20th, the Bills are ranked 1st.

Offense

The Bills are ranked 25th and the Vikings 27th.

The Bills passing offense is ranked 19th, the Vikings are 30th in passing, ouch.

The Vikings run offense is ranked 13th, the Bills are ranked 22nd running the ball.

What should the Bills Offense do?

Run the ball? They haven't been able to run the ball.

Pass the ball against the NFL's 6th best pass defense?

What does the Bills defense do?

Stuff the run, they're #1 in the league against the run but they can't stop the pass.

Each team has an opportunity to fix what ails them.

The Bills have an opportunity to run against the Vikings defense.

The Vikings have an opportunity to pass against the Bills.

Bills win 20-17 in OT.

Fletch
10-14-2014, 06:03 PM
I don't care what the circumstances are, if they can't win this game then let the firings begin after the post-game pressers.

Mr. Pink
10-14-2014, 06:08 PM
Should be an easy win.

A team that can't pass the ball who relies on the run with the best RB in the NFL not playing against a team that can't defense the past but is best in the league against the run.

Minnesota shouldn't score more than 10 points.

mightysimi
10-14-2014, 06:11 PM
This is also the same effect we had last year that teams were beating us so there was no need to throw the ball meaning less yards against. That's all those rankings use anyways.

imbondz
10-14-2014, 06:12 PM
I think it's weird you all think we have any easy games. The Jags and/or the Raiders could beat us.

YardRat
10-14-2014, 06:15 PM
If this were the 'old' Bills, Bridgewater would come out of this game looking like the next Tom Brady.

We'll see what happens Sunday, but I expect different results. IMO this is the first game this season that qualifies as a 'should win'.

BillsImpossible
10-14-2014, 06:17 PM
I don't care what the circumstances are, if they can't win this game then let the firings begin after the post-game pressers.

Let's just hope Schwartz goes 3-0 against the NFC, "Norris," Division and not think about worse case scenarios.

If the Bills beat the Vikings and Jets heading in to the bye week, this team is going to the playoffs.

The Jokeman
10-14-2014, 06:26 PM
If this were the 'old' Bills, Bridgewater would come out of this game looking like the next Tom Brady.

We'll see what happens Sunday, but I expect different results. IMO this is the first game this season that qualifies as a 'should win'.

So far the only game I thought we should have won for sure but didn't win this season was the Houston game. This isn't the same team we've seen previously as think our D is still above average despite the poor showing against New England. I think it's the middle of the pack Bills. So I suspect we'll win this Sunday. It wouldn't shock me to even go on bit of a winning streak the next few weeks. As the playoffs window is completely shut yet because I still think there's a chance we could end up with a better record than Baltimore, Houston, Pittsburgh and Cleveland who are main competition. Yet the conference tiebreakers might do us in the end.

RedEyE
10-14-2014, 06:42 PM
I'd take the Vikes with the 5pts.

Fletch
10-14-2014, 06:57 PM
I think it's weird you all think we have any easy games. The Jags and/or the Raiders could beat us.

They could but if we're half as good as many here seem to think and an 8-8 team then even those games are should-wins.

- - - Updated - - -

I'd take the Vikes with the 5pts.

23-13 us

feldspar
10-14-2014, 06:59 PM
If who was "ranked" this or that statistics-wise was any indication of what is going to happen in a game, then I would know who to bet on and would be a rich man pretty quickly.

BillsImpossible
10-14-2014, 07:15 PM
If who was "ranked" this or that statistics-wise was any indication of what is going to happen in a game, then I would know who to bet on and would be a rich man pretty quickly.

So true, especially after seeing how the Seattle Seahawks are ranked 31st in passing offense, and the Redskins are ranked 5th.

TacklingDummy
10-14-2014, 08:35 PM
I got 100,000 zone bucks on the Vikes, any takers?

notacon
10-14-2014, 08:35 PM
Let's just hope Schwartz goes 3-0 against the NFC, "Norris," Division and not think about worse case scenarios.

If the Bills beat the Vikings and Jets heading in to the bye week, this team is going to the playoffs.

You are dreaming. Why would beating two weak teams assure the playoffs? That is absurd.

Fletch
10-15-2014, 04:36 AM
I got 100,000 zone bucks on the Vikes, any takers?

Not that I give a **** about zonebucks, but I'll wager what I have and take us.

I mean seriously, home game, arguably the weakest team on the schedule, still reeling from the loss of Peterson, Bridgewater starting and his career isn't exactly looking dazzling at this point, really, if we can't win this one I think we're in danger of not winning more than one more game all season.

The Vikes are 1-4 since Peterson was suspended. They beat Atlanta since then but otherwise in the other four games haven't been able to score more than 10 points. How are they going to put up much more against our D in Buffalo with Bridgewater starting who hasn't even thrown for one TD yet?

If we're 8-8 good we should win this one by at least 2 TDs. I don't think that we're 8-8 good so I'm expecting a closer game, but seriously, a loss here?

trapezeus
10-15-2014, 07:39 AM
with this offense unable to get any seperation early.....it's all up to the defense. and the defense needs to take the ball away at least 2 times a game to give us a chance. remember the houston game, we had a bunch of turnovers and still lost.

this one goes to the wire.

casdhf
10-15-2014, 07:54 AM
I got 100,000 zone bucks on the Vikes, any takers? Straight up or spread?

Woodman
10-15-2014, 08:00 AM
24-13 Bills

Forward_Lateral
10-15-2014, 08:11 AM
Bills will win, by multiple scores.

I think everyone underestimated, myself included, how good Brady still is. The Patriots offense is still a threat to score a ton of points. Look what they did to a very good Cinci team the week before. The Bills, for the most part, hung in there, despite turning it over 3 times, leading to most of New England's points in the first half.

I'm not worried about the Vikings. I feel just as confident this week as I did the week before the Dolphins.

Fletch
10-15-2014, 08:24 AM
Bills will win, by multiple scores.

I think everyone underestimated, myself included, how good Brady still is. The Patriots offense is still a threat to score a ton of points. Look what they did to a very good Cinci team the week before. The Bills, for the most part, hung in there, despite turning it over 3 times, leading to most of New England's points in the first half.

I'm not worried about the Vikings. I feel just as confident this week as I did the week before the Dolphins.

I agree with you on the Vikes but I think you're missing the point overall.

Teams have not had difficulty putting up yards on us. Our "elite" #1 D has held two teams to fewer than 300 yards. Miami, which put up most of theirs in the 2nd half, and Detroit who didn't have any good skill position talent on the field besides Tate who had his best day ever in 6 seasons.

That's not good nor is it indicative that we have a defense that's that great.

The Vikes suck. Who do they have now with Peterson out?

Asiata is a third year undrafted RB that sucks. McKinnon is a 3rd round rookie. Other than Greg Jennings they have no one, kinda like Detroit with Tate but Bridgewater isn't Stafford and hasn't even thrown a TD yet. Put another way, if he throws a TD on Sunday it will be his first in the NFL. What are the odds of that happening?

Their TEs aren't even as good as ours and Cordarelle Patterson is an overrated rookie from last year's draft.

If we can't hold them to under 13 points then our D sucks. If we can't score at least 20 then it's time to look forward to next season.

Seriously, the Raiders and Jets are better than Minnesota right now, a team that's in complete disarray.

Forward_Lateral
10-15-2014, 09:40 AM
I agree with you on the Vikes but I think you're missing the point overall.

Teams have not had difficulty putting up yards on us. Our "elite" #1 D has held two teams to fewer than 300 yards. Miami, which put up most of theirs in the 2nd half, and Detroit who didn't have any good skill position talent on the field besides Tate who had his best day ever in 6 seasons.

That's not good nor is it indicative that we have a defense that's that great.

The Vikes suck. Who do they have now with Peterson out?

Asiata is a third year undrafted RB that sucks. McKinnon is a 3rd round rookie. Other than Greg Jennings they have no one, kinda like Detroit with Tate but Bridgewater isn't Stafford and hasn't even thrown a TD yet. Put another way, if he throws a TD on Sunday it will be his first in the NFL. What are the odds of that happening?

Their TEs aren't even as good as ours and Cordarelle Patterson is an overrated rookie from last year's draft.

If we can't hold them to under 13 points then our D sucks. If we can't score at least 20 then it's time to look forward to next season.

Seriously, the Raiders and Jets are better than Minnesota right now, a team that's in complete disarray.

Yardage allowed doesn't mean much. I'm more concerned with points allowed, turnovers and opponent's 3rd down %'s, which all were very good up until Sunday. Great D's still give up yards, they just know how to clamp down in the red zone, force turnovers and stiffen on 3rd down.

Famous Amos
10-15-2014, 03:58 PM
The Bills are putting up some gaudy numbers in their run defense.
http://www.buffalorumblings.com/bills-news-notes/2014/10/14/6975941/2014-buffalo-bills-run-defense-1964-1965-afl-champions

If these were the old Bills, we'd see our defense giving up 150 yards per game to back up running backs and less than elite running backs. Instead, they are:
#1 overall in the NFl for rushing yards per game (67.5) and yards per carry (2.8).

Also, the Bilsl havent given up a single rushing TD to an opponent this year! That is pretty damn stout and shows how well their red zone offense has improved. Unfortunately, their pass defense is being abused.

The Bills have also held their first 6 opponents to under 90 yards for the first time since 1996. If they do it again, itll be the first time since the sixties.

YardRat
10-15-2014, 04:45 PM
Stop the run.
Rush the passer.
Get an 'average' contribution from the offense.

When you get turnovers and sacks, you win. When you don't, you lose. It really is that simple.

I like this defense, it even travels well (2 road wins against decent opponents). We got *****-slapped again by Brady, big deal, it's only one game. Hell, even in the glory years everybody knew we were going to get rolled in Pittsburgh and Kansas City, and every Miami game was a toss-up regardless of the location.

Mr. Pink
10-15-2014, 04:51 PM
At the minimum one thing should be proven to some people around, stopping the run is meaningless in todays NFL.

The Pats and Chargers couldn't run worth jack against the Bills, yet the Bills lost both games.

Having a QB and stopping the oppositions QB are the only two things that really matter.

ICRockets
10-15-2014, 04:58 PM
I think Sammy goes off for 150+ yards and 2 scores, and I think we see another long TD for Mike Williams, who will feel as though he has something to prove. I'll be there, so I'm not at all worried that we might lose this game. We're gonna win this one 34-6.

Generalissimus Gibby
10-15-2014, 05:04 PM
This game has all the markings of a trap game. I hope I am wrong, but in past seasons the Bills have rolled off a ****load of losses after getting sanded by the Pats.

YardRat
10-15-2014, 05:31 PM
At the minimum one thing should be proven to some people around, stopping the run is meaningless in todays NFL.

The Pats and Chargers couldn't run worth jack against the Bills, yet the Bills lost both games.

Having a QB and stopping the oppositions QB are the only two things that really matter.

Step One to stopping an opponent's QB is stopping the run and putting him in passing situations.

Here, you might find this helpful...

http://www.nfl.com/rulebook/beginnersguidetofootball

Scumbag College
10-15-2014, 06:44 PM
I don't think the 5 point spread is Vegas over inflating how good the Bills are....I think it's more how bad the Vikings have looked.

Back when I bet on football, I only bet on the Bills once and it was way too stressful. I really think with the rookie QB for the Vikes and the possibility of some cold and rain on Sunday in Buffalo, I would take the Bills and the under. 20-10 Bills in an ugly one.

Fletch
10-15-2014, 07:41 PM
Yardage allowed doesn't mean much. I'm more concerned with points allowed, turnovers and opponent's 3rd down %'s, which all were very good up until Sunday. Great D's still give up yards, they just know how to clamp down in the red zone, force turnovers and stiffen on 3rd down.

Try to broaden that picture a little bit. One of my points has been that we've been somewhat lucky with scoring allowed, as in the Chicago game, and overall given the beat-up offenses we've faced.

But speaking of 3rd down prevention, tell me why you think that we're ranked 5th in 3rd-down percentage on D, but 20th in terms of 1st-downs allowed?

As to red zone D we're ranked 18th presently.

TacklingDummy
10-16-2014, 05:32 AM
Straight up or spread?

Vikes +3.5

Mr. Pink
10-16-2014, 12:26 PM
Step One to stopping an opponent's QB is stopping the run and putting him in passing situations.

Here, you might find this helpful...

http://www.nfl.com/rulebook/beginnersguidetofootball

Yeah, Brady looked horrible last week because we stopped their running game.

Philip Rivers looked horrible because we stopped their running game.

Stopping the run does not matter nor does it correlate into winning football games.

Likewise being able to run the ball well does not matter nor does it correlate into winning football games.

Some people need to learn this ain't the 1970s NFL anymore.