PDA

View Full Version : Max protect, just a link to a good analysis....

Mace
10-15-2014, 09:59 PM
Probably the last pic is the one to look at though it won't help you feel better.

http://www.buffalorumblings.com/buffalo-bills-analysis-all-22/2014/10/15/6981937/buffalo-bills-new-england-patriots-max-protection-shot-plays

No other comment from me.

kingJofNYC
10-15-2014, 10:40 PM
Saw that article earlier, good stuff. Love how our OL/TE are blocking air.

The Tyms TD pisses me off, because I know they brought in Graham to play a hybrid S/CB, but he's a better CB than S. Instead we have McKelvin getting lit up all game long, and Graham doesn't help Gilmore out on that inside vertical. Graham and Gilmore should be the starting CBs. Gilmore is playing with outside leverage expecting inside help, two defenders sat on the deep dig but Graham was too shallow to do anything against the vertical.

Ingtar33
10-16-2014, 06:53 AM
both of brady's long TDs came when the CB didn't get the deep support he was supposed to get from the safety... instead the safety was caught looking into the backfield at a play fake, or biting on a shorter underneath route. Safety play on sunday was inexcusably bad. Frankly our safety play has been pretty atrocious several times this year (it was particularly bad against the texans and bears as well) so it's not like this is a new issue.

watching that max protect get blown up by a 4 man rush makes me sick. you never should have 3 guys blocking air like we had on that play; that looks like the type of blocking we get from the line on a screen plays as well. that's either a very bad line call, or we have 3 players who have no business on the football field.

Fletch
10-16-2014, 06:57 AM
McKelvin just got flat out burned by LaFell. LaFell was what, five yards behind McKelvin as the ball was approaching, and even had to slow down to an underthrown ball.

Gilmore was on Tyms but Tyms, starting for the first time, schooled Gilmore on position and made that catch nicely. The other two DBs in triple coverage got their asses handed to them.

If Brady can do what he did with Tyms, LaFell, and Edelman who's good but far from great, then we're in trouble going forward. Gronk did almost nothing on those four scoring drives.

trapezeus
10-16-2014, 07:13 AM
for a coach with OL experience, Marrone does not seem to put much importance on the OL. it's almost like a division head who keeps asking for more help, but the employees already on his team aren't doing enough.

frankly, i would rather keep putting money into OL coaches and players. have the depth to rotate in and out. kind of reminds me of the eric dickerson football life that just aired. there was one play he loved and he excelled at. every knew it was coming and yet he'd still get large chunks of yards. i want a team with an identity like that. "you know what's coming and we're going to rip off yards anyways."

Fletch
10-16-2014, 07:22 AM
We have talent on our OL. Just one more instance of why Marrone needs to go. I have no idea why he has anyone defending him or saying that he deserves another season. Much more of this and make Schwartz the interim HC.

kingJofNYC
10-16-2014, 08:10 AM
If Byrd is on this team, Tyms goes nowhere near the endzone on that play, trust me on that.

IlluminatusUIUC
10-16-2014, 09:10 AM
Gronk did almost nothing on those four scoring drives.

I count 3 catches for 35 yards on the last two TD drives alone, two of which converted first downs. That doesn't even include the flags he drew, or the TD he had called back.

He wrecked us.

yordad
10-16-2014, 09:10 AM
If Byrd is on this team, Tyms goes nowhere near the endzone on that play, trust me on that.That would be hard for Byrd to do from IR.

kingJofNYC
10-16-2014, 10:49 AM
We have talent on our OL. Just one more instance of why Marrone needs to go. I have no idea why he has anyone defending him or saying that he deserves another season. Much more of this and make Schwartz the interim HC.

You often trash players on this football team, yet you believe this OL has talent? Their ****ing trash outside of Glenn, and an above average Center in Eric Wood who is grossly overpaid but gets no flack. Glenn is excellent, though he's had an up and down year, Wood is so-so, everyone else is trash. If you want to watch talent on OL, put on the Cowboys, or go watch the Browns rookie G play along with Mack and Thomas.

We have one good OL, we don't have talent on OL, there's a significant lack of it.

That would be hard for Byrd to do from IR.

Right, because there's no depth on this ball club so even if he was on the team there's no one to step up and take his spot. But instead of having Byrd on IR, we have no one that replaced him, and we also have no depth. So yeah, hur hur, Byrd would be on IR, and yet we still have no ****ing Safeties that stay healthy, hey Aaron Williams missed more games than Byrd ever did as a Bill, and we got torched all game last week because of it.

trapezeus
10-16-2014, 10:55 AM
If Byrd is on this team, Tyms goes nowhere near the endzone on that play, trust me on that.

would tyms have been visiting byrd reading him get well cards?

kingJofNYC
10-16-2014, 11:03 AM
Keep ignoring the fact that we let another player walk and have no one to replace him with.

Our org depth chart is the biggest problem, we lose talent and have no replacements. IT HAPPENS EVERY YEAR! And all you guys can talk about is how Byrd is on IR, blah blah blah. Meanwhile, A.Williams has lost more games due to injury than Byrd ever did as a Bill, and yet A.Williams was extended...

ghz in pittsburgh
10-16-2014, 11:22 AM
I am VERY disappointed at Eric Wood this year. The knock on him has always been healthy issues and he finally got healthy last year and got a big contract, but hasn't justified it this year. Good center of his pay scale probably needs t, at a minimum, make good line protection calls or adjusting QB protection calls. The way the Bills O-Line fooled sa badly on stunts, fails on max protection is pretty damning for the Center. Changing QB may have something to do that because O-Line does adjusting to the timnign of your QB, but they haven't been doing godd while EJ was in there, like at Texans.

You'd hope that Wood would be able to go one on one with 3-4 nose tackles like Wolford. So far against all the 3-4 teams, the Bills have to use some help. And they are 0-3 against 3-4 D thus far into the young season ...

GreedoII
10-16-2014, 11:33 AM
Hackett is an idiot

trapezeus
10-16-2014, 12:55 PM
Keep ignoring the fact that we let another player walk and have no one to replace him with.

Our org depth chart is the biggest problem, we lose talent and have no replacements. IT HAPPENS EVERY YEAR! And all you guys can talk about is how Byrd is on IR, blah blah blah. Meanwhile, A.Williams has lost more games due to injury than Byrd ever did as a Bill, and yet A.Williams was extended...

i don't disagree with your historical viewpoint on how we let talent walk and somehow replace it with lesser quality every year.

however, i think Byrd's foot issue was well known last year, and the defense wasn't so amazing that we can't do without him.

at some point we need a coaching staff that can make adjustments in the half time. but at this point, i guess we'll simply accept having a coach who can call in the right players to the game (MW being sat, and kyle and mario standing on the sidelines for hte last 5 minutes).

we always get saddled with issues that other teams don't go through. we are asking for coaches to excel at the areas they should (OL) and get help at areas they aren't good. and we don't even get the bump at the strength of these coaches. Gailey kind of did by having an enjoyable offense to watch, but it was an upgrade for jauron who presided over the absolute most boring football ever played.

YardRat
10-16-2014, 05:10 PM
both of brady's long TDs came when the CB didn't get the deep support he was supposed to get from the safety... instead the safety was caught looking into the backfield at a play fake, or biting on a shorter underneath route. Safety play on sunday was inexcusably bad. Frankly our safety play has been pretty atrocious several times this year (it was particularly bad against the texans and bears as well) so it's not like this is a new issue.

watching that max protect get blown up by a 4 man rush makes me sick. you never should have 3 guys blocking air like we had on that play; that looks like the type of blocking we get from the line on a screen plays as well. that's either a very bad line call, or we have 3 players who have no business on the football field.

It's hard to tell without seeing the pre-snap alignment, and post-snap first steps, but based on positioning of the players in the still it sure looks to me like somebody effed up the call.

Fletch
10-16-2014, 05:22 PM
I count 3 catches for 35 yards on the last two TD drives alone, two of which converted first downs. That doesn't even include the flags he drew, or the TD he had called back.

He wrecked us.

I added it all up for another thread in which someone, without doing any homework on the topic, educated me that Gronk was responsible for numerous 1st-downs.

Of 277 yards on all four of their TD drives he had the 35 yards you mentioned and one 1st-down at the beginning of one of the TD drives. That's it. No TDs, the 1st wasn't even on a 3rd-down play as I recall. He didn't even have that much on the FG drives. He had two 1st downs, only one was on a FG drive. All the rest of his yards were on non-scoring drives.

His contributions to scoring were minor.

YardRat
10-16-2014, 05:33 PM
LOL...what a cluster-****.

That last pic is the closest thing to Monty Python's '100-yard Dash for People With No Sense of Direction' you'll ever see on a football field.

Mace
10-16-2014, 06:40 PM
LOL...what a cluster-****.

That last pic is the closest thing to Monty Python's '100-yard Dash for People With No Sense of Direction' you'll ever see on a football field.

Well worth 36 seconds of video :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bYvbaqfq9mI